Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest

General Dog posted:

*sad trombone plays*

i had to look this up to remember what it was and now im mad i did

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
GB 2016 didn't make nearly enough of a profit to be anything but a failure for a Hollywood blockbuster

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy

Ghost Leviathan posted:

GB 2016 didn't make nearly enough of a profit to be anything but a failure for a Hollywood blockbuster

yeah I, too, believe all the published numbers about how profitable a movie is are completely accurate, and can't imagine any motive or precedent to the contrary

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjhhhhhhjhhhhhhhhhjjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh cannabis
Was A Winkle in Time marketed with the same woke factor as the other films? The adverts I saw played up it being a children's classic and Oprah being there more than anything

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

How does anyone have any opinions on movie budgets whatsoever given that the studios just make up 100% of the numbers that get out to the public and also the actors

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

just wait to see if they make a sequel or not

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest

Fallom posted:

How does anyone have any opinions on movie budgets whatsoever given that the studios just make up 100% of the numbers that get out to the public and also the actors

youd be surprised how good i am at having opinions about things i dont know anything about

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Jonathan Fisk posted:

If they were gonna it'd have been out by now

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Jonathan Fisk posted:

Pretty telling that they're going to do OG Ghostbusters 3 instead of nu-Ghostbusters 2. Not that either option would be good.

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

im on the net me boys posted:

Was A Winkle in Time marketed with the same woke factor as the other films? The adverts I saw played up it being a children's classic and Oprah being there more than anything

The conspiracy theory in me is more and more convinced Disney is leaning into the whole "imaginary (or like 1 dude on Twitter) people are mad about <casting> so let's get Reddit and BuzzFeed to amplify it" style of viral marketing.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Ghost Leviathan posted:

They were counting on it making enough money to bankroll an entire studio dedicated to the ghostbusters cinematic universe. When you count all the money they spent on marketing, the movie didn't even break even.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
I don't even think that's a conspiracy theory anymore. At best they lean into the controversy because it boosts sales and their actors are the only ones who have to deal with the backlash.

Someone claimed, although I didn't see them post proof so this is more conspiracy theory territory, that Disney pays people to stir up controversy over diverse casts on social media to drive the sales -- paying to see captain marvel is a feminist act, etc.

I doubt it works unless the property is already inherently successful, like any given Marvel movie isn't going to fail.

A Big Fuckin Hornet
Nov 1, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
it also only really works when the franchise in question is beloved primarily by sad nerds. i dont recall seeing any outrage over the all women Oceans Eleven

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

A Big Fuckin Hornet posted:

it also only really works when the franchise in question is beloved primarily by sad nerds. i dont recall seeing any outrage over the all women Oceans Eleven

i didnt even know they made an all women oceans 11

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjhhhhhhjhhhhhhhhhjjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh cannabis

Dreylad posted:

I don't even think that's a conspiracy theory anymore. At best they lean into the controversy because it boosts sales and their actors are the only ones who have to deal with the backlash.

Someone claimed, although I didn't see them post proof so this is more conspiracy theory territory, that Disney pays people to stir up controversy over diverse casts on social media to drive the sales -- paying to see captain marvel is a feminist act, etc.

I doubt it works unless the property is already inherently successful, like any given Marvel movie isn't going to fail.

I've seen that claim too, but honestly, do people really think you have to pay someone to complain about people that aren't cis het white men in media?

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Shear Modulus posted:

i didnt even know they made an all women oceans 11

it was ok

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Ehhhh. Better that 12, weaker than 11 and 13

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

The thing with all women reboots of franchises is they seem to be kind of mediocre at best franchises to begin with and it'd just be better if they made something new that focused on women to begin with.

Blockade
Oct 22, 2008

The thing with all women reboots of franchises is they seem to be kind of mediocre at best franchises to begin with and it'd just be better if they made something new that focused on women to begin with.

They tried that with Annihilation and nobody saw it.

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Blockade posted:

They tried that with Annihilation and nobody saw it.

I've never heard of it so that checks out

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

I've never heard of it so that checks out

Okay I looked it up and now I remember it and thinking the premise for it was just inherently uninteresting

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Rebooting of franchises can't really be done if they aren't in a state of decay so they're bound to be at least somewhat mediocre. I'd argue the choice of Ghostbusters was actually a pretty good one with one of the four principals dead and the others long past their prime, the franchise untouched for over a quarter century, but with the cultural recognition high enough that everyone knows what it is.

I'm not saying a successful original concept wouldn't have been preferable but those are hard to come by and generally require a bit of luck to actually stick. Given the dearth of original content in cinema today it just makes sense to piggyback on something recognizable.

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

I've seen that claim too, but honestly, do people really think you have to pay someone to complain about people that aren't cis het white men in media?

there's no reason to pay people to do it, if you look hard enough on twitter you can always find some dipshit with 80 followers complaining about something. just takes a few retweets to blow it up into a Media Outrage

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Yeah you're right, no way they'd pay anyone to do what other people will do for free

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

the southern reach isn’t really ripe for a box office hit though, it’s esoteric as hell. I think the best example of a female ensemble success in recent years is bridesmaids which is argue was successful because it was built ground in as a story about women that wasn’t market tested into the ground to be *for women*

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

The_Franz posted:

They were counting on it making enough money to bankroll an entire studio dedicated to the ghostbusters cinematic universe. When you count all the money they spent on marketing, the movie didn't even break even.

It couldn't even outgross the original movie.

Imagine making a big sci-fi comedy blockbuster movie in 2016 and it grossing less than the same sort of movie released in 1984. And the 1984 movie only made $300 million (which was a big deal back then, but, like, blockbuster movies make that on a long weekend). It literally made almost the exact amount Paul Feig's previous two movies had.

They could have basically made any movie, any original idea, and based on Feig's track record to that point, they would have made the same money. And probably spent a lot less.

I think Disney just learned to have a more deft hand when it comes to woke branding and can use the disturbing amount of sway the name Disney has over the average American to pull people into the theater, whereas Sony doesn't have just about a hundred years worth of trying to present itself as ~*~Magic Makers Who Make Your Heart Soar~*~ to use, and went hard to the floor with trying to make seeing the movie/buying GB2016 merch as "fighting the chuds".

Disney also never really counters the chuds, they mostly just signal boost them so people convince themselves that they need to go see Guy Ritchie's Aladdin to show racists what's what

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

guy ritchie directing the lovely downey sherlock holmes movies and aladdin will never not be insane to me

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

I mean, a lot of them do get paid to complain. Through patreon and such.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

R. Guyovich posted:

guy ritchie directing the lovely downey sherlock holmes movies and aladdin will never not be insane to me

I didn't know he did Aladdin (wtf?), I did see that Robinhood movie of his which was a huge mess.

Lock Stock and Snatch are two of my favorite movies, he just needs to go back to the British Crime Comedy's niche he actually makes good movies in.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Sherlock Holmes is fun you nerd

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

both movies are boring as hell. when the mediocre murder on the orient express is beating you out for mystery and intrigue you've made a bad sherlock story (or two, in this case)

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

the second one sucks but the first is hardly boring

it’s not a good mystery movie though

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

General Dog posted:

*sad trombone plays*

I mean, there is only so much polishing you can do on a turd of an idea, and a 100 million 2018 a wrinkle in time movie is an idea on par with the 2018 100 million Ben Hur movie. Like who do you expect is going to see that? Especially when A Wrinkle in Time has 0% recognition outside the US market and maybe the UK, I guess.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

Okay I looked it up and now I remember it and thinking the premise for it was just inherently uninteresting

Annihilation is one of the best sci-fi movies in the last decade smdh

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

No, it's progressive to make an all women reboot as an attempt to salvage a property after all the possible male leads got too old / died / went insane / told their agent to block your calls. Creating a new property that isn't a worn-out hand - me-down for the new cast would be too risky, we would have to try it with a male lead first.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

The important part in any of these cases is that you should make sure you never communicate to your audience why the hell they should be interested besides a bunch of names and quips.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

MokBa posted:

Annihilation is one of the best sci-fi movies in the last decade smdh

harsh condemnations of modern sci-fi itt

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

its bc its propaganda to prime people to think capitalism-but-with-women-oligarchs is good and feminist, when its just the same old tired poo poo and not feminist

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

if it's not feminist why do feminists shout incel chud at you for not liking it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Feminism, a registered trademark of Time-Warner