Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

:tipshat:

Alamein's Highlanders - Model R3 (POV) by Captain^Foo, on Flickr

Alamein's Highlanders - Model R4 (POV) by Captain^Foo, on Flickr

That last render took over an hour, as opposed to 10-20 minutes for the edgelined ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ltr
Oct 29, 2004

Captain Invictus posted:

If you like Legos and don't like giant robots you are in The Wrong Hobby.

Two of my four childhood toy likes were Legos and giant robots. Still have a VF-1A Valkyrie from Macross on my dresser.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Captain Invictus posted:

Avatar the Last Airbender, which isn't anime.

Americanime, whatever.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.

Captain Invictus posted:

If you like Legos and don't like giant robots you are in The Wrong Hobby.

The Lego Friends line is really due for a giant robot set.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

So, uh. Scratch what I said about no edgelines taking twice the time to render.

Marine Detachment #3 - Model S1 (POV) by Captain^Foo, on Flickr

This guy here took seven and a half hours to render. I admit, though, I gave it basically every difficult thing I could: rounded metallic pieces and rounded transparent pieces.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
So I have tons of sets, everything from the early 2000 or earlier, how can I sell these for a good price here in Europe? Almost all of it is jsut collecting dust now and I want it to be used again.

AzMiLion
Dec 29, 2010

Truck you say?

Captain Foo posted:

So, uh. Scratch what I said about no edgelines taking twice the time to render.

Marine Detachment #3 - Model S1 (POV) by Captain^Foo, on Flickr

This guy here took seven and a half hours to render. I admit, though, I gave it basically every difficult thing I could: rounded metallic pieces and rounded transparent pieces.

Some of my older vipers took about a day to render, that was if they didn't cause my laptop to crap out due to heat. haven't made or rendered anything in a while due to getting a new laptop so don't know how well this one handles rendering things.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

djfooboo posted:

Americanime, whatever.

You might be one of those goons who has this weird anime hatred, but no, it's a Nickelodeon cartoon. They licensed it alongside Spongebob Squarepants to see which sold better(and thus got more sets made).

edit: way to miss the point, but it's not worth making another post about it.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Aug 10, 2013

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Captain Invictus posted:

You might be one of those goons who has this weird anime hatred, but no, it's a Nickelodeon cartoon. They licensed it alongside Spongebob Squarepants to see which sold better(and thus got more sets made).

I like animes that don't suck. Note: 90+% of anime sucks.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

SEKCobra posted:

So I have tons of sets, everything from the early 2000 or earlier, how can I sell these for a good price here in Europe? Almost all of it is jsut collecting dust now and I want it to be used again.

E-Bay is always a option, especially if you state where you are shipping it from, depending on shipping cost I am sue a bunch of goons will jump all over used sets. If shipping to the states is not a crazy price and you are trying to off load some Lego let me know, I am always in the hunt for used sets for my collection.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

AzMiLion posted:

Some of my older vipers took about a day to render, that was if they didn't cause my laptop to crap out due to heat. haven't made or rendered anything in a while due to getting a new laptop so don't know how well this one handles rendering things.

This latest one only took half an hour. I think it's the rounded transparent pieces that really kill it.

Marine Detachment #3 - Model S2 (POV) by Captain^Foo, on Flickr

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

SEKCobra posted:

You can set up a store on Bricklink. I saw a lot of euro sellers on there.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

Rythe posted:

E-Bay is always a option, especially if you state where you are shipping it from, depending on shipping cost I am sue a bunch of goons will jump all over used sets. If shipping to the states is not a crazy price and you are trying to off load some Lego let me know, I am always in the hunt for used sets for my collection.

Alright, I'll go see about the set numbers and put them in here in a few days. Sadly a lot of them are in parts, so I'll have to check how many I can reassign.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Missiles and shotguns what up

Marine Detachment #3 - Model S3 (POV) by Captain^Foo, on Flickr

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

SEKCobra posted:

Alright, I'll go see about the set numbers and put them in here in a few days. Sadly a lot of them are in parts, so I'll have to check how many I can reassign.

As long as the sets are complete most people would be ok with parts, toss it into a zip lock bag, seal it in a padded envelope and send the Lego on there way, would be fairly cheap to ship sets over seas that way.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

blaargh just tried running some of my favorite designs through pick-a-brick and NOPE (even allowing for color substitutions)

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

You could try the customer service page, its more expensive but has almost all parts currently in production. I just ordered a bunch of glow in the dark parts from the ghost train and random technic parts from there.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Ika posted:

You could try the customer service page, its more expensive but has almost all parts currently in production. I just ordered a bunch of glow in the dark parts from the ghost train and random technic parts from there.

I'll look into that!

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

djfooboo posted:

I like animes that don't suck. Note: 90+% of anime sucks.
Avatar wasn't anime and didn't suck, so your original comment seems about 100% baseless. The sets did seem pretty crap though.

Has anybody gotten their hands on the Galaxy Squad galactic titan? I really like how it looks from the outside, but it seems incredibly... insubstantial? Any opinions on it?

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
Avatar was crap for people who didn't watch far superior anime.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Captain Foo posted:

I'll look into that!

Waiting to get the customer service quote, but I parted out Marine Detachment #3 - Model S2 and the parts I can get from pick-a-brick are $19 shipped. This also requires blowing the color scheme, but we'll see how it goes. I should probably make the effort to convert it to just a black/white/grey scheme so I can maintain consistency...

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Someone was offloading a crap ton of early Star Wars Sets, including a rough but still sealed 7106 Droid Escape and another open one. At current used rates the sets all add up to about $500 but a few of the sets have missing or severely yellowed pieces. Still a steal for $50. Just finished rinsing because they were disgusting.

One thing REALLY caught my eye. This Darth Maul. In the first pic it looks normal but when you break it down it looks like either a knock off or some sort of prototype. It doesn't even look like a normal keychain mini. The legs on those things are still normal minifig legs. These are all one block. I can't find any info online anywhere. Any idea what's up with this?

EvilJoven fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Aug 11, 2013

Hispanic! At The Disco
Dec 25, 2011

That Darth Maul figure is from a Lego Star Wars pen.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Captain Foo posted:

Waiting to get the customer service quote, but I parted out Marine Detachment #3 - Model S2 and the parts I can get from pick-a-brick are $19 shipped. This also requires blowing the color scheme, but we'll see how it goes. I should probably make the effort to convert it to just a black/white/grey scheme so I can maintain consistency...

hmmmm

Marine Detachment #3 - Model S2 Mod 1 (POV) by Captain^Foo, on Flickr

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

Online PAB and lego direct are really expensive compared to sets / in stores, at least for small pieces. I really wish they would add discounts for 25, 50, 100 of specific pieces because their minimum price seems to be 7 cents, which is a lot compared to how much they cost when you fill a cup full of them.

numerrik
Jul 15, 2009

Falcon Punch!

Hey, I was thinking of getting back into legos, and have no pieces, I am kind of a broke college senior, and wondering what sort of western or castle sets I could get into for like $15 and under, or should I just wait for a toys'r'us black Friday sale?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
If you go to a Lego store, they often have grab bags of random pieces for 7.50 each, grab two of those and see what you can build!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Captain Invictus posted:

If you go to a Lego store, they often have grab bags of random pieces for 7.50 each, grab two of those and see what you can build!

They're definitely not a normal thing though. My local store only has grab bags once or twice a year. :smith:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Yeah, I've never seen a grab bag in any Lego store. :(

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
You can always try asking them to make one. They occasionally will do them on demand.

youareoffthehook
Mar 24, 2008

On a scale of one to ten, I think that's an awesome!

xzzy posted:

They're definitely not a normal thing though. My local store only has grab bags once or twice a year. :smith:

They stopped doing grab bags a while ago.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Well that's a bummer.

squarerandom
Mar 24, 2007

Obviously you're not a golfer.

numerrik posted:

Hey, I was thinking of getting back into legos, and have no pieces, I am kind of a broke college senior, and wondering what sort of western or castle sets I could get into for like $15 and under, or should I just wait for a toys'r'us black Friday sale?

There's a few castle sets that are under 20$ ones an ambush, the other is a wall, they both have 3-4 minifigs. And as far as western, maybe the Lone Ranger camp fire set with 2-3 American militias? There's a bigger set with scorpions and Tonto/a chief and a kayak kinda set. But that's off top of my head, at work, so I may be massively wrong. Best bet, check the shop.lego site.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Captain Invictus posted:

Well that's a bummer.

It's a big bummer. It was nice being able to make some profit out of damaged-out sets and the like, but instead we just ship it back to LEGO now. I was never explicitly told why the change occurred, though.

pzy
Feb 20, 2004

Da Boom!
This has been my weekend, and I have at least 10 sets left. Nostalgia + exhaustion!

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
I made a thing in preparation for tonight!

squarerandom
Mar 24, 2007

Lizard Combatant posted:

I made a thing in preparation for tonight!

Where the what the!? I know there's a city construction set with a Walter White face that I wanna get

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

squarerandom posted:

Where the what the!? I know there's a city construction set with a Walter White face that I wanna get

Commissioner Gordon's head on Guy Pearce from IM3's body.

squarerandom
Mar 24, 2007

Lizard Combatant posted:

Commissioner Gordon's head on Guy Pearce from IM3's body.

Ah yeah, got Gordon from the bane vs batman DK set, one more reason to get the IM3 boat for the extra IM suit too!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

squarerandom posted:

Ah yeah, got Gordon from the bane vs batman DK set, one more reason to get the IM3 boat for the extra IM suit too!

Yeah, I just Bricklink'd the figures from that boat set.

e: also, the limo that came with the Palace Cinema was pretty bad, so I've tried to make it look a little more... Presidential.

(excuse the bad phone pic)

Lizard Combatant fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Aug 12, 2013