Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

TerminusEst13 posted:

I'm really curious as to why they changed the announcer. I mean, I can understand getting a hold of the VA again after this long is practically impossible, but were a whole bunch of lines really needed? It's not like they introduced any dramatically new game modes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
I want a voice pack that's like the one in UT2003. Bombastic and loud and full of energy.

lurker1981
May 15, 2014

by XyloJW

mod sassinator posted:

Bethesda is just loving the corpse of id software now. What a travesty.

I think id software kinda became a zombie after Doom 1/2 was released.

We were all waiting for the epic FPS that would be better than those games, but they never arrived. As awesome as Quake was, I still think Duke Nukem 3D was more fun.***

...at the time. Not so much these days with modern source ports. Nowadays Doom looks more advanced than DN3D and Quake, especially when you add in things like the Doom High Resolution Texture Project and Brutal Doom (yes, the latter significantly modifies the game, but it kinda makes it feel more "modern").

*** I like to pretend the second Duke game never happened.

lurker1981 fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Sep 17, 2014

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Yeah I think Quake and Quake 3 were their peak--Quake was a great single player game, and Q3 an amazing multiplayer game. Everything since then.. not so good.

Dukka
Apr 28, 2007

lock teams or bust

Doom and its 20+ years of community content are also really loving hard to quantify in any real way.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Light Along the Inverse Curve.
Speaking of 20 years. System Shock 1 turns 20 years old this month. Some of the original devs are doing a live steam of the game this sunday. http://www.twitch.tv/algorithmancy

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

mod sassinator posted:

Yeah I think Quake and Quake 3 were their peak--Quake was a great single player game, and Q3 an amazing multiplayer game. Everything since then.. not so good.

I dunno, I find that Q1 does MP just as well as Q3 does. Plus, Q1 has better bots out there than Q3's official ones, so you don't really need to hop online anymore to enjoy a few good MP rounds.

lurker1981
May 15, 2014

by XyloJW

mod sassinator posted:

Strangely, for some reason I have fonder memories of playing Quake in DOS than I have of playing it in higher resolutions on modern source ports.

I played Unreal for the first time a couple years ago. I wish I had a computer that was powerful enough to run it when it first came out. poo poo was expensive back in the day. My memories could be a little fuzzy, but I also recall someone saying that playing Unreal on a 56k modem was really unpleasant.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Segmentation Fault posted:

I want a voice pack that's like the one in UT2003. Bombastic and loud and full of energy.

The UT announcer is almost as iconic as the Q3 announcer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPIxHddkNgc&t=20s

I remember the first time I got "HOLY poo poo! poo poo! poo poo! poo poo!" in an actual match. That was pretty rad.

The problem with the new Quake Live announcer is that he sounds dull as hell. The old announcer was boomy and actually sounded like he was acknowledging your skills, the new one just says the word "impressive" with no real weight behind it.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.

Hank Morgan posted:

Speaking of 20 years. System Shock 1 turns 20 years old this month. Some of the original devs are doing a live steam of the game this sunday. http://www.twitch.tv/algorithmancy

I played through System Shock Portable a few months ago and I really enjoyed it with a few faults. The controls are rear end of course (though I didn't have the fan patch that let me remap them) and I spend half of the time running around lost, bleeding health to random enemies. Some moments were amazing, though. The entire garden area, or the first time you encounter SHODAN's 'death machine' are great even today. The zombie screams still sound weird, alien and spooky as well. Hell, the entire sound design was impressive for an early '90s 2.5D FPS. Full disclosure: I never could win the death machine fight straight up so I ran out of the room and threw in grenades until it was clear like a weak little hacker.

GoG tracking down the rights to distribute System Shock 2 really made me hopeful that it would sell well enough to renew interest in the IP. If someone is willing to work out a deal to license or buy the remaining rights from whatever insurance company owns them it would be awesome to revisit the franchise using a modern engine, but I doubt it would happen since it's infinitely cheaper to use a new or already-owned IP. I've always seen rumors that Dead Space began as SS3 but never anything really confirming it.

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off

The Kins posted:

Quake Live and its litany of... interesting recent design choices come to Steam tomorrow.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4aNG7cd7rGM
That new announcer sounds terrible.

The new announcer is not as terrible as people are making him out to be, he's certainly not as iconic as the old one but he does a fine job.

What I don't get is why they wont just work on a Quake Live 2 and leave the original alone. They can gently caress up that game as much as they like and I can still enjoy the classic.

I'm thinking of re-installing Q3 on my machine so I can enjoy the original the way it was meant to be, is the online community still around? Is there a server browser like doomseeker for q3?

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
I agree, they should make Quake Live 2 using Quake 4 as a base. Quake 4 had some neat poo poo, like grenades bouncing on bounce pads.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
I guess his plans fell through.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

KozmoNaut posted:

The problem with the new Quake Live announcer is that he sounds dull as hell. The old announcer was boomy and actually sounded like he was acknowledging your skills, the new one just says the word "impressive" with no real weight behind it.

He sounds bored. It's like he's sassing you. You hear him saying "impressive." and you picture him rolling his eyes.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Segmentation Fault posted:

I agree, they should make Quake Live 2 using Quake 4 as a base. Quake 4 had some neat poo poo, like grenades bouncing on bounce pads.
Quake 4 was made by Raven, who are now one of Activision's COD teams. I know Bethesda manage to wrangle back Q4's distribution rights for a Steam re-release, but I don't know if they also scored the game code etc. so it's probably not especially possible. :(

Bathtub Cheese
Jun 15, 2008

I lust for Chinese world conquest. The truth does not matter before the supremacy of Dear Leader Xi.

The Kins posted:

Quake Live and its litany of... interesting recent design choices come to Steam tomorrow.

"Here's all the things that won't be happening in this game now. Enjoy!" - Bethesda

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

lurker1981 posted:

I think id software kinda became a zombie after Doom 1/2 was released.

We were all waiting for the epic FPS that would be better than those games, but they never arrived. As awesome as Quake was, I still think Duke Nukem 3D was more fun.***

All of id Software's games post-Doom are tech demos that just happened to be fun.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

I watched that quake live steam trailer and did they nerf the lightning gun? It looks like it takes a lot longer to kill people than I remember.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

FirstPersonShitter posted:

I watched that quake live steam trailer and did they nerf the lightning gun? It looks like it takes a lot longer to kill people than I remember.

Yep. It's one of the changes that can't be disabled in Classic mode.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

lurker1981 posted:

*** I like to pretend the second Duke game never happened.

Duke Nukem 2 was loving great, what are you talking about

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

MrBims posted:

Duke Nukem 2 was loving great, what are you talking about

It was if you enjoyed having about half a second to dodge enemies when they scrolled on screen because of the giant HUD taking up most of the screen space. :colbert:

reinardus vulpes
Nov 5, 2010

de cele amor Dieus me gart

Cat Mattress posted:

He sounds bored. It's like he's sassing you. You hear him saying "impressive." and you picture him rolling his eyes.

I get why they felt they had to change the voice, they should've done something in a totally different style. This just sounds like a guy doing a bad imitation of the old announcer...

DXH
Dec 8, 2003

Ne Cede Malis
So apparently this is a thing again:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v6yPPVWvB6I

Doom 1 and 2 redone in idTech4. I just reinstalled Doom 3 to play around with some mods so maybe I'll give this a go. What do you guys think? From what I've seen from the videos, it's not much of a scale up visually speaking from the numerous 3D model and texture packs already out there for Doom. I'm not liking that they kept the Doom 3 shotgun model and sounds but it's a pre-beta (alpha?) so I'm sure that will change.

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
There is absolutely no reason to play any remakes of Doom in Doom3 beyond satisfying your curiosity. You'll play for a while and then ask yourself why you aren't just playing the originals.

maev
Dec 6, 2010
Economically illiterate Tory Boy Bollocks brain.
Keep away from children
Just popping in to say Going Down is the best Doom II wad since Scythe and I love it.

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -

Buck Turgidson posted:

There is absolutely no reason to play any remakes of Doom in Doom3 beyond satisfying your curiosity. You'll play for a while and then ask yourself why you aren't just playing the originals.

For that remake posted above I agree. I really enjoyed the Classic Doom 3 mod though, since they took the time to build out maps that were appropriately detailed for idTech 4.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

The Kins posted:

Soundtrack by Moby.

Icept
Jul 11, 2001

DXH posted:

So apparently this is a thing again:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v6yPPVWvB6I

Doom 1 and 2 redone in idTech4. I just reinstalled Doom 3 to play around with some mods so maybe I'll give this a go. What do you guys think? From what I've seen from the videos, it's not much of a scale up visually speaking from the numerous 3D model and texture packs already out there for Doom. I'm not liking that they kept the Doom 3 shotgun model and sounds but it's a pre-beta (alpha?) so I'm sure that will change.

Did anyone end up making a good game on this engine? It looks like it has potential to be fun but it seems like it ended up being some lighting showcase thing.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

Icept posted:

Did anyone end up making a good game on this engine? It looks like it has potential to be fun but it seems like it ended up being some lighting showcase thing.

Quake 4 was pretty good. :shrug:

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Icept posted:

Prey and Wolfenstein were pretty solid too.

Bloodmobile
Jun 15, 2012

FirstPersonShitter posted:

It now does less damage per hit than the Q3 machine gun, think on for a moment to see just how badly they hosed that game up.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

Icept posted:

Haha apparently Blendo's new game is using the engine. But yeah Quake 4, Wolfenstein, and Prey are all good games even if not amazing. Brink at least looked amazing even if the game around it was flawed in many ways.

What exactly happened with Enemy Territory: Quake Wars? I remember hearing as much hype for that as I did Brink, played in the beta, and then...nothing.

Icept
Jul 11, 2001
True, Quake 4 was alright, should give the other two a shot. Brink was a really weird effort but had moments of good fun.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Doom 3 and Brink were the only really "bad" idTech 4 games, but compared to how many great games were built off of idTech 3 it just seems lacking.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

KozmoNaut posted:

The UT announcer is almost as iconic as the Q3 announcer.

In my opinion, UT99 announcer is better than any other. It had more lines and nothing will top the "HEADSHOT" and "MONSTER KILL" from the good old one.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

So I'm rectifying a serious oversight in my retro FPS career: I have never beaten The Plutonia Experiment before. Doom, yes. Doom 2, yes. TNT: Evilution, yes. Plutonia, no. I always seem to run out of steam at some point.

Let's hope I actually finish the drat thing this time. Gotten up to "Hunted", at least...

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Guillermus posted:

In my opinion, UT99 announcer is better than any other. It had more lines and nothing will top the "HEADSHOT" and "MONSTER KILL" from the good old one.

When it comes to announcers, I have it as: Everything else < Halo < UT99

There's a reason DOTA was using the UT sound effects for years.

M-M-M-M-M-M-MONSTER KILL is just so drat satisfying

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Yeah I've played the poo poo out of Quake 3 and I can't even remember what the announcer sounds like the UT's will be stuck in my head forever.

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Doom 3..."bad"

Wrong.

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal

Shadow Hog posted:

So I'm rectifying a serious oversight in my retro FPS career: I have never beaten The Plutonia Experiment before. Doom, yes. Doom 2, yes. TNT: Evilution, yes. Plutonia, no. I always seem to run out of steam at some point.

Let's hope I actually finish the drat thing this time. Gotten up to "Hunted", at least...

I'm in the same boat. Truthfully I just don't like the visuals or the gameplay style of plutonia. Maybe one day when I've worked through my WAD backlog (lol) I'll finish it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

Shadow Hog posted:

Plutonia isn't a very good wad and you shouldn't feel like you have a moral obligation to push through it.