Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dennis McClaren
Mar 28, 2007

"Hey, don't put capture a guy!"
...Well I've got to put something!

skipdogg posted:

Neither of those amazon links are working. What are the models?

Sorry
VIZIO SB3621n-F8M 36" 2.1 Channel Sound Bar

and

TCL 43S305 43-Inch 1080p Roku Smart LED TV (2017 Model)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dennis McClaren
Mar 28, 2007

thiazi posted:

Why do you need to pair it at all? The HDMI should be carrying audio from you laptop to the TV, so then it should be up to the TV to play the sound to the correct output (internal or external speakers). If the optical cable is connected to the TV, just make sure the TV is set to play sound to the sound bar, and the sound bar is set to play on the optical input. On my fairly old Samsung set, there is an audio setting called "external speaker" or similar, just make sure your equivalent is set right. Then my sound bar has HDMI1, HDMI2, Optical, and Aux, so I have to set that to "optical".

Edit: I agree if the sound bar is brand new then it should be able to pair, but the use case you are describing doesn't require it AFAICT.

I also went through the steps to make the TV output sound to the soundbar by selecting digital sound output through the TV audio settings. I even disabled the TV's speakers just to be sure.
So yeah, I did try that already with no avail.

For some reason it seems like they also need to be paired to work? Because why else would the tv not output to the soundbar at this point?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Digital output usually means TOSLINK / optical or coax. If you have a HDMI cable between them you want to make sure the TV supports ARC.

Dennis McClaren
Mar 28, 2007

I got it sorted out! Thank the good lord baby jesus that was so frustrating.

There were about 4 different optical dolby sound outputs you could choose for the TV's output, and I guess I just chose the wrong one until I tried them all and found one that worked.

thiazi
Sep 27, 2002

Dennis McClaren posted:

Sorry
VIZIO SB3621n-F8M 36" 2.1 Channel Sound Bar

and

TCL 43S305 43-Inch 1080p Roku Smart LED TV (2017 Model)

Glad you got it sorted

thiazi fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Apr 10, 2019

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
So AT&T is installed, much better speed results, waiting on my Ubiquiti gear to get here.

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005

CommieGIR posted:

So AT&T is installed, much better speed results, waiting on my Ubiquiti gear to get here.

Welcome to the dark side.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Prescription Combs posted:

Welcome to the dark side.

I got it setup! Was a little bit of a pain, because the Edgerouter X apparently doesn't support IPv4 Offloading natively, there's an alternate offload method
The other issue was the VLAN for the proxy kept failing to commit, or would somehow commit, but be unavailable (it would claim it was 'already a file for eth1.0' despite not being listed as a valid network interface)

code:
set interfaces ethernet eth1 description WAN
set interfaces ethernet eth1 duplex auto
set interfaces ethernet eth1 speed auto
set interfaces ethernet eth1 vif 0 address dhcp
set interfaces ethernet eth1 vif 0 description 'WAN VLAN 0'
set interfaces ethernet eth1 vif 0 dhcp-options default-route update
set interfaces ethernet eth1 vif 0 dhcp-options default-route-distance 210
set interfaces ethernet eth1 vif 0 dhcp-options name-server update
set interfaces ethernet eth1 vif 0 mac 'aa:bb:cc:dd:ee:ff'
set interfaces ethernet eth0 address 192.168.2.1/24
set interfaces ethernet eth0 description LAN
set interfaces ethernet eth0 duplex auto
set interfaces ethernet eth0 speed auto
set interfaces ethernet eth2 description 'AT&T router'
set interfaces ethernet eth2 duplex auto
set interfaces ethernet eth2 speed auto
set service nat rule 5010 description 'masquerade for WAN'
set service nat rule 5010 outbound-interface eth1.0
set service nat rule 5010 protocol all
set service nat rule 5010 type masquerade
set system offload hwnat enable
So, one other thing: Since I didn't setup via the wizard, I don't have any default firewall rules, do I have to make them all by hand or is there somewhere I can import some from?

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Apr 11, 2019

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender
The configuration file is located at /config/config.boot. You can paste in the following firewall rules at the start of the config file (make a backup first), then reboot.

https://pastebin.com/CWQ5VYjx

You'll then want to assign the firewall rules to the interfaces you've configured.

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005

CommieGIR posted:

I got it setup! Was a little bit of a pain, because the Edgerouter X apparently doesn't support IPv4 Offloading natively, there's an alternate offload method
The other issue was the VLAN for the proxy kept failing to commit, or would somehow commit, but be unavailable (it would claim it was 'already a file for eth1.0' despite not being listed as a valid network interface)

So, one other thing: Since I didn't setup via the wizard, I don't have any default firewall rules, do I have to make them all by hand or is there somewhere I can import some from?

Hmm.. I'm not sure about the commit thing. Your interface config looks correct. Did you run a code/firmware upgrade?

Here are some default-ish WAN rules if you want to just paste them over ssh

code:
configure

set firewall all-ping enable
set firewall broadcast-ping disable
set firewall ipv6-receive-redirects disable
set firewall ipv6-src-route disable
set firewall ip-src-route disable
set firewall log-martians enable
set firewall receive-redirects disable
set firewall send-redirects enable
set firewall source-validation disable
set firewall syn-cookies enable

set firewall name WAN_IN default-action drop
set firewall name WAN_IN description 'WAN to internal'
set firewall name WAN_IN rule 10 action accept
set firewall name WAN_IN rule 10 description 'Allow established/related'
set firewall name WAN_IN rule 10 state established enable
set firewall name WAN_IN rule 10 state related enable
set firewall name WAN_IN rule 20 action drop
set firewall name WAN_IN rule 20 description 'Drop invalid state'
set firewall name WAN_IN rule 20 state invalid enable
set firewall name WAN_LOCAL default-action drop
set firewall name WAN_LOCAL description 'WAN to router'
set firewall name WAN_LOCAL rule 10 action accept
set firewall name WAN_LOCAL rule 10 description 'Allow established/related'
set firewall name WAN_LOCAL rule 10 state established enable
set firewall name WAN_LOCAL rule 10 state related enable
set firewall name WAN_LOCAL rule 20 action drop
set firewall name WAN_LOCAL rule 20 description 'Drop invalid state'
set firewall name WAN_LOCAL rule 20 state invalid enable

set interfaces ethernet eth1 vif 0 firewall in name WAN_IN
set interfaces ethernet eth1 vif 0 firewall local name WAN_LOCAL

show | compare

commit ; save

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

put your money in a log cabin

Buglord
AT&T told me to go pound sand now that my 2 year agreement is up, they wouldn't apply any discounts at all on a single Internet only line even though they're still running the same $70/mo promo for new customers. I spoke to two different retention reps, one who couldn't give less of a poo poo and another that really tried but the end result was "man, I've never seen this before. Usually no matter what there's a $20/mo credit we can put on regardless of promotion, but it's showing literally nothing available for your account."

So I had them cancel service and got Comcast to upgrade the plan to gigabit cable instead. Speed looks great on my SB8200, but I didn't realize that upload for that plan is only 50Mbit. That sucks rear end since I tend to upload stuff to my lab a lot. I'll try it for a bit and see how it goes... worst case I'll call AT&T again and try to get the new customer promo.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

H2SO4 posted:

So I had them cancel service and got Comcast to upgrade the plan to gigabit cable instead. Speed looks great on my SB8200, but I didn't realize that upload for that plan is only 50Mbit. That sucks rear end since I tend to upload stuff to my lab a lot. I'll try it for a bit and see how it goes... worst case I'll call AT&T again and try to get the new customer promo.

And that's why I'm ditching. I mean, non-synchronous is normal for cable connections anyways, but yeah, 50 meg upload on a 1GB connection is just sad.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

Argue posted:

We own three adjacent apartments separated by concrete, but we aren't allowed to run wires between them. We do function as one household, so we'd much rather have everything on one network and also not pay for three separate internet connections. Is a mesh setup the best option for full coverage, and would it still be fast enough to play, say, Overwatch from the rooms on the far ends? What's the optimal setup that minimizes the number of nodes/satellites/whatever that I'd have to purchase?

This is a simplified diagram of where things are. The room dividers are wooden walls, and each unit is roughly 80-90 sq m.

Thermopyle posted:

It might be feasible it might not. It's always hard to tell with wireless because it depends a lot on the environment.

It's hard to know without seeing a picture, but you might be able to do a pretty nondescript bracket leaning some wireless point-to-point equipment out over the balcony railings and pointing at each other. Ubiquiti makes some nice small devices for this.

Following up on my post from the other day, I went over there with some phones and used the built in hotspots to test wifi strength through walls. It looks like wifi carries over well through one concrete wall, with very little change in speed (using speedtest.net as my metric). Does it follow that a mesh solution will work? And is there a caveat that I might be missing?

Incidentally, we also found a line of sight between two of the units, but getting power to the proper spots would be the new hassle. Would it have significantly better speed if we took the trouble to broadcast from the balconies or would the difference be negligible?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Argue posted:

Following up on my post from the other day, I went over there with some phones and used the built in hotspots to test wifi strength through walls. It looks like wifi carries over well through one concrete wall, with very little change in speed (using speedtest.net as my metric). Does it follow that a mesh solution will work? And is there a caveat that I might be missing?

Incidentally, we also found a line of sight between two of the units, but getting power to the proper spots would be the new hassle. Would it have significantly better speed if we took the trouble to broadcast from the balconies or would the difference be negligible?

I'd say it increases the chances a mesh solution would work.

The point-to-point devices out at the balconies will (likely) mostly be indistinguishable from just having an ethernet cable run between units.

Basically, it sounds like you're going to have to balance the hassle of getting power out to the balconies against the potential hassle of getting a mesh solution, having it not work out as well as you hoped, returning them, and doing the power out to balconies thing anyway.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

CommieGIR posted:

And that's why I'm ditching. I mean, non-synchronous is normal for cable connections anyways, but yeah, 50 meg upload on a 1GB connection is just sad.
Despite living in a city with AT&T gigabit fiber, it is not an option at my address. Instead I can choose from a max of $50 for 25mb down from AT&T, or $120 for 1000/35 from Cox cable. :smithicide: I still love Cox, I think they are faster than AT&T here and have waaaay better customer service than AT&T, or Comcast. But the price sucks here, I can't completely blame Cox since I assume they probably have better rates in other cities that have more competition.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Crotch Fruit posted:

Despite living in a city with AT&T gigabit fiber, it is not an option at my address. Instead I can choose from a max of $50 for 25mb down from AT&T, or $120 for 1000/35 from Cox cable. :smithicide: I still love Cox, I think they are faster than AT&T here and have waaaay better customer service than AT&T, or Comcast. But the price sucks here, I can't completely blame Cox since I assume they probably have better rates in other cities that have more competition.

What do you use your Internet access for?

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

WattsvilleBlues posted:

What do you use your Internet access for?
Mostly poo poo posting. I honestly don't do a lot of uploading at all, I don't post youtube videos, I no longer telecommute either. I would love to try to post videos on Youtube someday but for the most part I do not NEED a high upload, or download speed. I think the most strenuous internet activity I do is streaming Netflix or Sling TV, its not uncommon to have 3 streams going between me, my wife, and two kids. My internet is only 100/10 for $60 a month, but simply for :dong: I'm tempted to upgrade to gigabit. It's just kinda stupid for me to upgrade to gigabit at this time since I don't think I need or, I don't think I would notice a difference, it won't help me poo poo post any faster.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

100mbit down will run 3 4K HDR Netflix streams with plenty to spare.

I had gigabit for years, and when I moved chose to save 60 bucks and go down to 500mbit instead of gigabit. I've not noticed a difference at all. Maybe a 50GB Xbox One game takes an extra 5 minutes to download, but outside of times where I go looking for a difference, I haven't noticed one. I rather have the 60 bucks in my pocket than an extra 500mbit of mostly unusable downstream bandwidth capacity.

Now if Cox has a middle tier package, in the range of 200 to 500 mbit, I'd say that would be worth it for those times you do need to download something large. I had 400mbit cable for 3 months and it was fine as well.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
The biggest issue is my modem, it's an old SB6121. I chose to hold out until Docsis 3.1 was released, but now I'm kinda stuck with the fact that Docsis 3.1 modems are expensive, and I cant justify buying a modem like a 16 channel for $50 since my SB6121 is still working. I cant convince myself to upgrade to older technology for the modem, but I don't want to pay for a 3.1 modem either. The most annoying issue is Cox sent a letter advertising a FREE modem upgrade, I thought it was bullshit, but I just looked on the website. Sure enough, I can see a big banner for a FREE modem upgrade, I can add it to my cart and checkout, the whole time it just says it will add nothing to my bill and the one time purchase fee is $0, but I have to call a number to confirm my number. That is when the phone agent says "well gee I don't know every market is different I need to promo code from your letter or else it's $180" and further talking lead to "well I just don't know about your market but I don't think Cox will give away a free modem 'cuz were trying to run a business here." They could start running a business by actually having trained sales reps who don't just say "gee, I don't know".

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I bet you can pick up a SB6183 for cheap locally. FB Marketplace, OfferUp, something like that. I'd be surprised if you couldn't snag one locally for 30 bucks or so. There's a guy 2 miles from me with one for sale on FB for 35 bucks.

You could spend huge on the gigabit capable SB8200 as well if you wanted and just get the lower tier speed and future proof. It's expensive though.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

skipdogg posted:

I bet you can pick up a SB6183 for cheap locally. FB Marketplace, OfferUp, something like that. I'd be surprised if you couldn't snag one locally for 30 bucks or so. There's a guy 2 miles from me with one for sale on FB for 35 bucks.

You could spend huge on the gigabit capable SB8200 as well if you wanted and just get the lower tier speed and future proof. It's expensive though.
I actually hate FB Market more than craigslist marketplace. That said, local deals available to me are: $40 for a 6121 (Craigslist), $30 for a Docsis 2 modem and $20 for the same model but "Wireless" on OfferUp, and $85 for a 6183 "because it cost $199 new" on FB Market. I ordered a used SB8200 from eBay for $114 because a) the seller says 30 day returns and b) it's a hell of a lot less than "maybe $180" from Cox.

Taxenema
Feb 17, 2019

by FactsAreUseless
I basically know nothing about routers and need one for my home. Was thinking about buying the archer ac1900 one in the OP. I have up to 200 dollars to spend and want to get a good one that will put out a good wireless signal and not be a pain to set up. Does anyone have any experience with the ac1900 ?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Crotch Fruit posted:

Mostly poo poo posting. I honestly don't do a lot of uploading at all, I don't post youtube videos, I no longer telecommute either. I would love to try to post videos on Youtube someday but for the most part I do not NEED a high upload, or download speed. I think the most strenuous internet activity I do is streaming Netflix or Sling TV, its not uncommon to have 3 streams going between me, my wife, and two kids. My internet is only 100/10 for $60 a month, but simply for :dong: I'm tempted to upgrade to gigabit. It's just kinda stupid for me to upgrade to gigabit at this time since I don't think I need or, I don't think I would notice a difference, it won't help me poo poo post any faster.

What you have sounds great for your use.

My main peeve with my 38 down is that installing Xbox or PC games takes hours, would love to shave that down to minutes.

Anyone got any experience of g.fast technology in the UK?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

It’s a complete waste of time. Had promise when it was going to be deployed from poles or pavement chambers and drop your line length to 30m or so, but not how it’s being done now. I think Openreach are deploying what they had already set in motion and then shitcanning it in favour of FTTP.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
So, I rolled out my Ubiquti network today and swapped everything over, we're not cancelling the Xfinity yet, so I set it up as a Load Balanced WAN on the Router, then setup a VM and docker'ed UNMS and Unifi Controllers on my VM Lab, really loving Ubiquiti over the Asus SOHO so far, starting to feel more professional. Even got Netflow working.

Taxenema posted:

I basically know nothing about routers and need one for my home. Was thinking about buying the archer ac1900 one in the OP. I have up to 200 dollars to spend and want to get a good one that will put out a good wireless signal and not be a pain to set up. Does anyone have any experience with the ac1900 ?

Other than good signal, any advanced features you care about?

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Apr 13, 2019

Taxenema
Feb 17, 2019

by FactsAreUseless

CommieGIR posted:

So, I rolled out my Ubiquti network today and swapped everything over, we're not cancelling the Xfinity yet, so I set it up as a Load Balanced WAN on the Router, then setup a VM and docker'ed UNMS and Unifi Controllers on my VM Lab, really loving Ubiquiti over the Asus SOHO so far, starting to feel more professional. Even got Netflow working.

Other than good signal, any advanced features you care about?

No not really I just want it to work well

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Thanks Ants posted:

It’s a complete waste of time. Had promise when it was going to be deployed from poles or pavement chambers and drop your line length to 30m or so, but not how it’s being done now. I think Openreach are deploying what they had already set in motion and then shitcanning it in favour of FTTP.

So we're probably a decade or more away from widespread FTTP?

In fact, now that I'm thinking, I moved into a new build house last year. Why the hell are they still deploying copper wires at all? Why aren't they pushing through fibre optic cable to new builds now, surely this would save a lot of poo poo and expense in future?

WattsvilleBlues fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Apr 13, 2019

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Taxenema posted:

No not really I just want it to work well

Then it should do fine, I'm a fan of the Asus brand routers, but that AC1200 should you fine

Taxenema
Feb 17, 2019

by FactsAreUseless

CommieGIR posted:

Then it should do fine, I'm a fan of the Asus brand routers, but that AC1200 should you fine

What do you know about Asus that makes them better than the ones I am talking about getting? More reliable? Better chance that when I buy a new one it will be a solid one with no issues? I looked at the lower star reviews on Amazon and it seems some people say that the ac1900 worked for like 2-5 weeks before krrking out.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I recommended the TP-Link Archer series, which I had no experience with personally, to my folks based on the recommendations of the OP here and elsewhere. Thing was a lemon, needing to be rebooted frequently. After a week or two they returned it and I recommended the Netgear Nighthawk R7000, which is what I have. It's older but it's been solid and it supports AC and has gigabit LAN ports.

My sample size is one, and I'm not going to claim it's statistically significant, but I'm not touching the Archer series again. The lovely D-Link router I had in 2006 was better. (EDIT: Others have also reported their Archer sometimes randomly ceasing to broadcast one of the Wi-Fi bands until rebooted.)

guppy fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Apr 13, 2019

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

WattsvilleBlues posted:

In fact, now that I'm thinking, I moved into a new build house last year. Why the hell are they still deploying copper wires at all? Why aren't they pushing through fibre optic cable to new builds now, surely this would save a lot of poo poo and expense in future?
Come to DIY and read the crappy construction thread for a bit, it's about 20% previous owner things, 10% 100 year old rotting homes and the rest is new homes but by the cheapest laborers possible. One dude had a brand new customer home, a builder installed a sump pump with a 20ft long cord routed the cord up into all of the joists, stapling it properly along the way, and then just left the plug dangling not even remotely close to an electrical outlet. When new homes are being built by the lowest cost "skilled" laborers around with a razor think profit margin the lack of FTTP is far from the biggest concern in my opinion.

And this is not to say "new homes are junk" - when properly implemented, modern construction techniques are way better than old construction. The problem is just the cheapest workers possible are always used and razor think margins means they will use the absolute minimum materials like running copper to your house

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Crotch Fruit posted:

Come to DIY and read the crappy construction thread. One dude had a brand new customer home, a builder installed a sump pump with a 20ft long cord routed the cord up into all of the joists, stapling it properly along the way, and then just left the plug dangling not even remotely close to an electrical outlet.

That was me!

I may not have a functioning sump pump as I recently found out. But damnit, I have 1Gb fiber!

It was reason #2 I bought the house. (Reason #1 was proximity to work). Maybe making sure the place was entirely finished should have moved up on the list.... But I was blinded by fiber being a multi-year 3G refugee.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

WattsvilleBlues posted:

They are. Openreach will provide FTTP for free to any developer building more than 30 homes, and run FTTP by default if you’re building more than one home. They provide all the duct work, chamber frames etc. free of charge, and pay the developer for the work once they’ve approved it.

The problem is that house builders don’t give a poo poo, and it’s cheaper to just not even think about telecoms when building the houses and then just gently caress off once you’ve sold them. This is how you end up with brand new estates with hundreds of homes on waiting six months for a 4 mile long copper phone line with poo poo DSL on it to be installed after people start moving in, or if you're 'lucky' the developer has negotiated with one fibre ISP to provide services exclusively in exchange for some sort of kick back, and then drag their heels over getting the streets adopted by the local authority to allow somebody else to deploy their network. The lack of knowledge/people not placing internet access too high up their list/planning law not keeping up with modern requirements/general demand for housing supply means there's no real downside to the housebuilders continuing to be awful about this.

If you've moved into a new development in the past few years and you don't have fibre to your house, then it's entirely because whoever built your house didn't give a gently caress about it.

Thanks Ants fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Apr 13, 2019

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

PSA: if anyone else managed to get firmware V2.0.1 on an Edgerouter X, go ahead and roll back to your previous system image. Apparently they updated their blog when they put the firmware up, but not when they removed it for download because it has stability problems.

On the plus side, because of the dual system images, rolling back is as easy as "set system image", reboot, and then "delete system image" to get rid of the 2.0.1 for good.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

So while 10 gigabit Ethernet being overkill for a lot of home users, are there any good 8-12 port base-n switches out that support 1/2.5/5?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

IOwnCalculus posted:

PSA: if anyone else managed to get firmware V2.0.1 on an Edgerouter X, go ahead and roll back to your previous system image. Apparently they updated their blog when they put the firmware up, but not when they removed it for download because it has stability problems.

On the plus side, because of the dual system images, rolling back is as easy as "set system image", reboot, and then "delete system image" to get rid of the 2.0.1 for good.

Im still running 1.10.7, its refusing to accept 1.10.9.

I got UNMS setup and its taking nightly config backups

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

All software that Ubiquiti make is trash

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Thanks Ants posted:

All software that Ubiquiti make is trash

Most of Cisco's is too, so it must be industry standard.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Definitely industry standard ahem Mikrotik

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whose tuggin
Nov 6, 2009

by Hand Knit
I have no idea where I would ask this. Is there such thing as a "Telecommunications" megathread?

I just have a bunch of general t.c. questions just because I am curious and would like to better understand how it all works.

I don't even think this is the right thread to ask about where to ask, sorry.