Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

lelandjs posted:

Omar comin'

you come at the king, you best not miss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

EL BROMANCE posted:

I hated it so much I couldn't finish it. Even films I think are boring or a bit crap I at least get to the end, and I've watched a ton of poo poo films. It just didn't work for me in the slightest and it was just easier to end my suffering and walk away from it.

Most Wanted's biggest sin is that it just wasn't funny. Every gag was run completely into the ground (Haw haw, the bad guy's name is Badguy, DO YA GET IT? LAWL), I can't remember a single song from the movie, and you just can't separate Kermit from the rest of the Muppet cast.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Sleeveless posted:

The church scene was incredible just for the juxtaposition of amazing stylish action with an absolutely abhorrent message. The fact that so many people on the internet were all "haw haw, wouldn't it be great if that really happened to Westboro Baptist Church?" instead of being horrified just drives home how great it was.

e: Also I am all in favor of the current trend of taking older prestige actors and turning them into action heroes. Colin Firth kicked all kinds of rear end in that movie.

In general, Kingsman left a bad taste in my mouth, because it seems like the people behind it actually bought into the wish fulfillment, which wasnt so stark in Kickass.

So back to TV, curently watching Difficult People as the next show in my Great 2015 Christmas Catch-up O-rama. Great show, just unapologetically clever and snide. I really buy the main characters as real people, dont know what that says about me.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Finished The Leftovers, and while the first season was genuinely intriguing, season 2 felt very weird, and way too Lindelovian at times.

Dunno whether it's season 1 syndrome or just because they exhausted the book material with the first season. Some mind-blowingly good acting from everyone, though, what a goddamn acting vehicle that show is.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Kingsman is the worst movie I've ever seen. I'm not saying this be edgy or contrarian. I hate almost everything about it.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I don't know if this was ever mentioned in this thread, but Amazon picked up all of their latest round of pilots except the Shane Black one you all liked.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Escobarbarian posted:

I don't know if this was ever mentioned in this thread, but Amazon picked up all of their latest round of pilots except the Shane Black one you all liked.

gently caress yeah can't wait to see more Mad Dogs

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Snak posted:

Kingsman is the worst movie I've ever seen. I'm not saying this be edgy or contrarian. I hate almost everything about it.
There are many movies after which I've said, "Well I'm never getting those 100 minutes back", but though I didn't love Kingsman, I was nowhere near that sentiment.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Escobarbarian posted:

I really don't get why Amazon even does pilots. The entire reason Netflix shows are so successful is because they make shows for specific demographics and stick to it, Amazon's pilots are just a half measure that shows a lot of distrust with their talent and their demographic data.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Josh Lyman posted:

There are many movies after which I've said, "Well I'm never getting those 100 minutes back", but though I didn't love Kingsman, I was nowhere near that sentiment.

funnily enough the only thing stopping kingsman from being the action film of the year for me is the thing in snak's avatar

oh wait, star wars

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Snak posted:

I liked precisely two things about Kingsman: the cool amputee badguy henchman and the second is tied for Mark Strong and Samuel L. Jackson.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Most great movies are contentious, I can completely understand why someone wouldn't like Kingsman and wouldn't hold it against them but it rocked my poo poo and I loved it.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Sleeveless posted:

I really don't get why Amazon even does pilots. The entire reason Netflix shows are so successful is because they make shows for specific demographics and stick to it, Amazon's pilots are just a half measure that shows a lot of distrust with their talent and their demographic data.

Sometimes it helps because it kept everyone from wasting any more time with the idea of a Zombieland TV series.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
This is the last post I'm gonna make about the movie for obvious reasons but if there's absolutely anyone who could handle reading thousands upon thousands of words written in all caps with the wrong tenses because of a lame-rear end gimmick* this article will make you appreciate Kingsman a hundred-fold.

* like film crit hulk is probably one of the best online critics right now but he should have retired that poo poo a long way back

anyway television. Mozart in the Jungle season 2 is back on Wednesday! Where you at, X-O?

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
Kingsman is easily the worst film I've seen this year, but it's alright. I just don't seek out bad movies (probably a bad idea because it skews my sense of movie quality). Matthew Vaughn is a consistently okay director who makes uneven, but entertaining films.

If I were being an intense contrarian, I'd say worst is Star Wars, which I honestly didn't like that much anyway, but to say it's my least favorite would come off as trolling. but anyone who says it's best of the year or puts it in their top ten is blinded by the warm glow of a Star Wars movie that isn't a confusing operatic fiasco. People have a vested interest in wanting to like it, so it's hard to tell how good it actually is.

okay actually thread relevant thought: Crazy Ex-Girlfriend, y'all. So loving good. Marry me, Rachel Bloom. :allears:

Spatula City fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Dec 28, 2015

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Escobarbarian posted:

This is the last post I'm gonna make about the movie for obvious reasons but if there's absolutely anyone who could handle reading thousands upon thousands of words written in all caps with the wrong tenses because of a lame-rear end gimmick* this article will make you appreciate Kingsman a hundred-fold.

* like film crit hulk is probably one of the best online critics right now but he should have retired that poo poo a long way back

anyway television. Mozart in the Jungle season 2 is back on Wednesday! Where you at, X-O?

Film Crit Hulk is great but I stopped reading him because of the gimmick.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Apparently TNT has decided not to advertise that they canceled shows as they're still calling the Agent X and Legends finales "season" instead of "series" seeing as they were both canceled. Also, heads up for those still watching Legends. they're starting an hour early and showing two episodes tomorrow because of the skipped week.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Sleeveless posted:

Amazon doesn't have Netflix's data about viewer habits though.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Escobarbarian posted:

Glad I never bother to watch those previews until Amazon picks them. Don't need to get my heart broken, which watching anything unfinished by Shane Black would have guaranteed.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Josh Lyman posted:

Amazon doesn't have Netflix's data about viewer habits though.

Amazon collects an ungodly amount of data from its online retail in order to feed its recommendation algorithms, if you think they aren't tracking similar data for Prime streaming then I have a bridge for sale that you may be interested in.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Timby posted:

Amazon collects an ungodly amount of data from its online retail in order to feed its recommendation algorithms, if you think they aren't tracking similar data for Prime streaming then I have a bridge for sale that you may be interested in.
Yes, but Prime streaming data is a drop in the bucket compared to Netflix.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Josh Lyman posted:

Yes, but Prime streaming data is a drop in the bucket compared to Netflix.

Some research disagrees with you.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Spatula City posted:

If I were being an intense contrarian, I'd say worst is Star Wars, which I honestly didn't like that much anyway, but to say it's my least favorite would come off as trolling. but anyone who says it's best of the year or puts it in their top ten is blinded by the warm glow of a Star Wars movie that isn't a confusing operatic fiasco. People have a vested interest in wanting to like it, so it's hard to tell how good it actually is.

I'd argue that what you're describing here (people enjoying the film purely because of nostalgia when the film is actually objectively terrible) applies more to Jurassic World than The Force Awakens, which on a purely base level had logical plotting, well-written and engaging characters, and excellent cinematography. There are some valid criticisms of TFA (the droid ex machina and unnecessary escape from alien monsters sequence) but it's definitely a good--perhaps even great film.

That said if you watched like three films this year and they were, say, Mad Max, The Martian, and Star Wars, then yeah I'd agree that Star Wars was the worst film you saw this year.

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Dec 28, 2015

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

That's the number of times used per week, which is relatively useless. The correct metric is hours watched per week.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Sleeveless posted:

Most great movies are contentious, I can completely understand why someone wouldn't like Kingsman and wouldn't hold it against them but it rocked my poo poo and I loved it.

I would, and it will be the line I draw when I enact my plan to kill the rich.

Or poor, depending on my financials when the time comes.

So make sure you're Poor-Cool or Rich-Cool in time.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Josh Lyman posted:

Revenge of the Sith has 79% so

As the best prequel i feel it's fair.... Darth Vader is in it.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

So I really liked the pilot for The Colony. Somebody should make a thread for that.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

D-Pad posted:

So I really liked the pilot for The Colony. Somebody should make a thread for that.
It doesn't premiere for another 2 1/2 weeks and it's gonna crash and burn anyway.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Ended up watching the first episode of Crazy Ex-Girlfriend while visiting my parents and ok yeah I think I'll pick it up. I laughed so hard in the first song when they mention music program cuts and then later on they take the kid musicians out of the scene.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

lelandjs posted:

I'd argue that what you're describing here (people enjoying the film purely because of nostalgia when the film is actually objectively terrible) applies more to Jurassic World than The Force Awakens, which on a purely base level had logical plotting, well-written and engaging characters, and excellent cinematography. There are some valid criticisms of TFA (the droid ex machina and unnecessary escape from alien monsters sequence) but it's definitely a good--perhaps even great film.

Or, y'know, how it's literally Star Wars/A New Hope pretty much beat for beat.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

whowhatwhere posted:

Or, y'know, how it's literally Star Wars/A New Hope pretty much beat for beat.

That's what Hollywood is doing these days, soft reboots that keep the series continuity but remake the original at the same time. Jurassic World and 21 Jump Street did it and I have a feeling that the next Fast & Furious movie will as well.

I honestly can't say I minded it.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Jurassic World was so boring. How did they mess up a movie with Chris Pratt and dinosaurs? Colin Trevorrow is why I'm worried about the third Star Wars movie. Captain Phasma or Rey are going to run around in heels while the next Death Star equivalent blows up.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

lelandjs posted:

That's what Hollywood is doing these days, soft reboots that keep the series continuity but remake the original at the same time. Jurassic World and 21 Jump Street did it and I have a feeling that the next Fast & Furious movie will as well.

I honestly can't say I minded it.

Yeah, but 21 Jump Street wasn't at all about the plot, so it being a remake basically functioned as another joke. Jurassic World honestly could have done with being even more of a remake because then it might have a personality.

Mu Zeta posted:

Jurassic World was so boring. How did they mess up a movie with Chris Pratt and dinosaurs? Colin Trevorrow is why I'm worried about the third Star Wars movie. Captain Phasma or Rey are going to run around in heels while the next Death Star equivalent blows up.

Yeah, but Phasma will tie her armor above her midriff so it'll be ok.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

My top ten films for the year are different to some because I use UK release dates which often has December films come out in January. Even though there's been some awesome films out, like Birdman and Whiplash... Star Wars is still number 1 for me because nothing else released made me feel like it did. I'll probably lower it down in retrospect, but right now I'm giving it the glory.

Worst 3 were American Sniper, Get Hard, and Hot Tub 2. A trio of garbage.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I can't use UK release dates, it bothers me too much, even though it means I probably won't end up having a top 10 films for 2015 until I can see Anomalisa in March/April

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5yATAFDNW4

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

EL BROMANCE posted:

My top ten films for the year are different to some because I use UK release dates which often has December films come out in January. Even though there's been some awesome films out, like Birdman and Whiplash... Star Wars is still number 1 for me because nothing else released made me feel like it did. I'll probably lower it down in retrospect, but right now I'm giving it the glory.

Worst 3 were American Sniper, Get Hard, and Hot Tub 2. A trio of garbage.

Hot Tub 2 sucked? That's a shame.

BTW, Manhattan is great, y'all.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

It was so, so, bad. Like, 2 jokes landed. I loved the original but John Cusack was right to stay away from this turkey.

he turns up for about 2 seconds in the version I saw, think that differs to the theatrical cut.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Mu Zeta posted:

Seriously, they should have just made Jurassic Parks and Recreation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Snak posted:

Seriously, they should have just made Jurassic Parks and Recreation.

Well they would be able to bring Lil Sebastian back with all that cloning technology.

• Locked thread