Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
metroid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Don't trust any company on usb-C unless they've gotten that one guy from Google's seal of approval. Lot of companies making cheap lovely cables that will wreck your poo poo.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Real hurthling! posted:

scrapple is just philly and is not a breakfast starch.

I concede being in error concerning the regionality of the Regional Stereotypical Food In Question but I also contend that I was making reference to "breakfast foods" in general and not "breakfast starches"!!!!

Kelp Me! posted:

i'd play quest 64 a thousand times before I'd try to play through superman 64

I played Quest 64 a bunch as a kid because it was the only RPG I had for a while; sad in retrospect and baffling/strange at the time

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

same

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Kelp Me! posted:

i'd play quest 64 a thousand times before I'd try to play through superman 64

The monkey's paw closes...

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Nintendo's live stream for the switch presentation is now up.

Just leave it on your TV 7 days and five and a half hours.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

greatn posted:

Nintendo's live stream for the switch presentation is now up.

Just leave it on your TV 7 days and five and a half hours.

At least link it you lazybones

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uuC4YLLkqME

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

greatn posted:

Don't trust any company on usb-C unless they've gotten that one guy from Google's seal of approval. Lot of companies making cheap lovely cables that will wreck your poo poo.

i could beat any cable in a fight i don't care

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

oddium posted:

i could beat any cable in a fight i don't care

Even this one? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzLaRi7GkQc

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Someone should probably record that til next week. Would not be shocked if some dumbass accidentally streamed the rehearsa

Also

Sorry for the serious post in this thread but be careful as poo poo about buying cheapo USB A to C Cables as I learned about from my Nexus 6p.

https://plus.google.com/u/0/+BensonLeung/posts/HakwCMmd346

quote:

Q : Why is a bad 3A resistor a problem?
A: 3A is bad because all of these cables and adapters are legacy host port adapter cable, meaning the other end of the cable is Type-A plug. The Type-A port and the vast majority of the devices that have Type-A ports were never designed to support 3A charging.

The cable lies to the phone by telling the phone it's attached to a pure 3A charging path, like the C-to-C cable to the OEM 3A charger that ships with the Nexus 6P/5X. The phone will attempt to draw 3A, but that may damage the weaker device you have the Type-A end of the cable plugged into.

Q: If I have a 1A or 2A charger, am I safe?
No, if you have a weaker charger, you are actually at MORE risk because your phone/tablet/laptop may not know to stop at the 1A or 2A limit the charger advertises because of the improper identifier in the cable.

Q: Do C to C cables have the same problem?
No. C to C cables do not have the same problem because they are required to be straight pass through and do not have a pullup built into the cable. If the other end of the cable is Type-C, then as long as you plug into a 3A charger (like the one you get with Nexus phones), you will get fast charging in a safe way.

Q: Can you recommend a Type-A charger? Is <insert some random Type-A charger from Amazon> safe? Is it fast?
I cannot review every charger, but as long as you have a safe compliant cable with a 56kΩ resistor, the phone will limit itself to safe levels of charging for Type-A chargers and hubs.

Whether or not a particular charger works best for your phone in terms of charge speed I cannot say definitively. It really depends on a ton of factors, including the protocols your phone and the charger supports. Phones and charger may be able to support up to 2.4A using various proprietary protocols with a safe cable.

edit: Didn't see greatn's post.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Yours was much better with actual details

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

some more good N64 games: bomberman 64, bomberman 64 2, snowboard kids, snowboard kids 2, mario party 2, mario party 3

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
I wonder if the reason the console might only have 32GB of hard drive space is because the new cartridge system is going to allow for some free space for future patching, while the internal 32 GB is going to be reserved mostly for savegames and system config stuff.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

sharrrk posted:

some more good N64 games: bomberman 64, bomberman 64 2, snowboard kids, snowboard kids 2, mario party 2, mario party 3

Bomberman 64 multiplayer was so loving great. Why don't more games let you turn into a spooky ghost and possess your friends and make them kill themselves once you die?

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

GreatGreen posted:

I wonder if the reason the console might only have 32GB of hard drive space is because the new cartridge system is going to allow for some free space for future patching, while the internal 32 GB is going to be reserved mostly for savegames and system config stuff.

is that why the wii u deluxe had 32 gb

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Lemming posted:

Bomberman 64 multiplayer was so loving great. Why don't more games let you turn into a spooky ghost and possess your friends and make them kill themselves once you die?

I know other games have let you simply wander around as a ghost like Metal Gear Online on the PS3 did.

I imagine letting people do that in any sort of competitive gaming sense would make some players super angry though, especially if the ghosts could actually gently caress with players still in combat.

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot
i am glad the mods are giving rightful punichment to folks who say awful things like n64 have no good games.

ethanol posted:

is that why the wii u deluxe had 32 gb

it was a poor design console where all it's cost went into a expensive screen. in the end of the day it was the a more expensive DS that had great games spite of it's main selling point.

Cyron fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Jan 6, 2017

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Viewtiful Jew posted:

I know other games have let you simply wander around as a ghost like Metal Gear Online on the PS3 did.

I imagine letting people do that in any sort of competitive gaming sense would make some players super angry though, especially if the ghosts could actually gently caress with players still in combat.

I'm not sure there's any purer joy in the world than forcing the person who just killed you to walk into a giant loving bomb, and that overrides every other possible issue

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot

Lemming posted:

I'm not sure there's any purer joy in the world than forcing the person who just killed you to walk into a giant loving bomb, and that overrides every other possible issue

it why i feel competative smash players are the worst, they are turning a joyful fun game into shity evo garbage.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Cyron posted:

it why i feel competative smash players are the worst, they are turning a joyful fun game into shity evo garbage.

They can't make you play a game in a way you don't want to, friend. They can't hurt you.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Nobody can suck the fun out of the room like a competitive smash player.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

RZA Encryption posted:

Nobody can suck the fun out of the room like a competitive smash player.

goons complaining that strangers are playing video games the wrong way come in at a close second though

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
I will never want to learn how to wavedash, but if other people want to do that it's cool too.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

but will you learn to wave race?

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

I'm a competitive Mario Kart player.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Cyron posted:

It's not just Smash players - it's specifically Melee. EVO was a fun time for all present until Melee kids showed up and started booing everything that wasn't Melee and, from what my sources tell me, smelling p bad.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

i take pride in making sure that no one is having fun except for me when i play smash

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.
How will you win unless you pick the top tiers and learn how to wavecheat and fun-cancel?

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Super No Vacancy posted:

emulators should be illegal.

They are unless you delete them within 24 hours according to the Internet Act signed by Bill Clinton in 1994.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Kelp Me! posted:

Has Nintendo ever released any piracy figures/has anybody ever tried to quantify it? The The Wii, DS and 3DS are super easy to mod and crack wide open (dunno about the WiiU), but I've never heard anyone make a big deal out of Nintendo piracy.

Of those, the widespread availability of DS flashcarts if the only one that I ever saw "normies" get into.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

TF2 HAT MINING RIG posted:

I'm a competitive Mario Kart player.

You guys play Double Dash right? That IS the best Mario Kart game after all... :colbert:

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

melee players set a pox upon my cattle and cursed my grains to rot they did

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Imagine being a normal person and enjoying Smash 4 and hearing that some other people are playing the GameCube game and wondering why the person telling you this is so flushed and out of breath.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
Switch better have a Captain Toad eSports game.

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot

TaurusOxford posted:

You guys play Double Dash right? That IS the best Mario Kart game after all... :colbert:

Mario Kart 8 is the best, but double dash is 2nd best.

Mario Kart 64 was garbage and always have been. Mario Kart 7 is bad and overhype.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Diddy Kong Racing ate its lunch except for the battle mode.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

TaurusOxford posted:

We play a modded version that cuts out the unfair items.

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke
im going to be a splatoon refresh champion and im not going to let soap and water slow me down

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Cyron posted:

Mario Kart 64 was garbage and always have been.

reported

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Tender Bender posted:

Imagine being a normal person and enjoying Smash 4 and hearing that some other people are playing the GameCube game and wondering why the person telling you this is so flushed and out of breath.

Is it because he just got kicked out of the melee tournament for jacking off on the hosts couch?

• Locked thread