Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

IAmTheRad posted:

I want to be fanatic spiritualists for a game, but don't know the other ethic I want to use. Or traits for the race. So no robots or hive minds. I want to spread my religion across the stars.

X E N O P H O B E

Purge the heathen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Is there a way to mod out the Covfefe system from the game without breaking achievements? Cause it's quite literally the dumbest loving addition to this game by far.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Eej posted:

Is there a way to mod out the Covfefe system from the game without breaking achievements? Cause it's quite literally the dumbest loving addition to this game by far.

lmao

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
The best thing about playing robot empires is being able to use Mecha Godzilla armies :getin:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Eej posted:

Source your quotes.

Also why don't "Stimsis" and "alderaan" amongst a bunch of others bother you too?

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Just speaking from my own sensibilities, I think they're right. It's pretty lovely that it's in the game.

Fortunately I don't care about achievements.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Eej posted:

Seize it and rename it. Blood and fire is your destiny.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Fintilgin posted:

Seize it and rename it. Blood and fire is your destiny.

Make the Galaxy Great Again?

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Eej posted:

Nice meltdown

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Fintilgin posted:

I think the AI is probably pretty inconsistent. I never saw them do anything meaningful at all against the Contingency. I pop a core world, smash all the local fleets, and even still a whole empire never seemed to be able to retake even single undefended contingency worlds. I used Take Point, and a couple AI units sent 20k (total) or so to tail my 160k death ball, but that was it. Even the Cybrex just had 250k of fleets just... milling around on the opposite end of the Contingency from the remaining core worlds.

When the Contingency popped for me, at first there were 2 Fallen Empire fleets with 250k power that would roll through a system and scour the traveling 90k fleets pretty well, but avoided the core systems for the most part. One time they rolled through a system and burned down the 200k fleet and the 100k defensive structure, and just wandered off. I ended up destroying all 4 planets, and when I attacked the final core, no one arrived. Thankfully that was one of the easiest fights, even though it was a station with 400k power and 4 100k power, I maybe lost 10 ships.

Probably some of this is from being the Eliminator robots, people really dislike me.

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016

Eej posted:

:sad:

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

MUGANI?

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

HAK HAK HAK

Yadoppsi
May 10, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

Try fanatic spiritualist/xenophile. It's interesting. You can still murder people arbitrarily, but you make friends easily. Assuming you don't murder too many of them arbitrarily anyway.

Plus the empires you have diplomacy with will experience increased spiritualist attraction.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

hobbesmaster posted:

Source your quotes.

Also why don't "Stimsis" and "alderaan" amongst a bunch of others bother you too?

I kind of thing those are a tad more relevant as in-jokes than the Trump Said Covfefe XD meme.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

hobbesmaster posted:

Source your quotes.

Mostly because they don't serve as a constant reminder that there's a racist rapist making GBS threads all over his own country and turning a blind eye to the suffering of citizens.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Eej posted:

Mostly because they don't serve as a constant reminder that there's a racist rapist making GBS threads all over his own country and turning a blind eye to the suffering of citizens.

Just wait for him to settle too close to the xenophobic FE

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Eej posted:

Related to this point, I have noticed that I seem to run into similar star names pretty often. How does the map generate the names? It's weird because I've always seemed to see the same variety, though some of this is perhaps related to the species I tended to use (mollusks and reptiles, lately robots) - just, how are they generated? It seems like it would be an interesting process.

It'd also be interesting to know how many star name lists there were. It seems like you could assemble three or four with a thousand-ish names each, then some smaller ones which can include Higash'Kata and Covfefe, which people can toggle on and off for flavor or to avoid seeing names that set you, personally, off.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

hobbesmaster posted:

Every time I've tried inward perfection since the patch I've been rolled by some nearby AI(s).

get gud scrub

Serious answer: do you normally rely on defense pacts to deter aggression? I play on Hard normally, and have never really had a problem with this, even when I start with militaristic neighbors who would love to knock me down a peg. But I also never use defense pacts because I'm so used to playing Purifiers, so I just reflexively build military to the point where my neighbors will leave me alone. My gut says the answer is just 'build more ships'.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Soylent Pudding posted:

My start location was boxed in by two fallen empires, one fanatic xenophile and the other fanatic xenophobe. There were a pair of gaia worlds just outside the later's borders I never colonized because I didn't want to piss them off. Well, fortunately for me the xenophile FE awakened into benevolent interventionist peacekeepers and immediately demanded I become a signatory. I accepted, and immediately colonized those to gaia worlds. The xenophobes declared on me, and my newly awakened peacekeeper overlords wiped the floor with them. Then they gave me all but one of their colony worlds in the peace accord.

That is kind of hilarious

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

OneSizeFitsAll posted:

Also, I don't know where else to ask this, but is there/was there ever a thread on here for Planet Coaster?

There's a general-purpose roller coaster games thread, which is basically just talking about Planet Coaster with the occasional pointing and laughing at Roller Coaster Tycoon World.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

PittTheElder posted:

get gud scrub

Serious answer: do you normally rely on defense pacts to deter aggression? I play on Hard normally, and have never really had a problem with this, even when I start with militaristic neighbors who would love to knock me down a peg. But I also never use defense pacts because I'm so used to playing Purifiers, so I just reflexively build military to the point where my neighbors will leave me alone. My gut says the answer is just 'build more ships'.

Also stack pop growth modifiers. Inner Perfection is really strong. You do need to spaceport up really quickly to boost your fleetcap though, even moreso than with other races.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Baronjutter posted:

So I'm looking at the list of planet modifiers and there's a ton, and I'm looking at the system initializers and I'm not seeing any match for any planet modifier. How would I add something like mineral rich or unstable tectonics to a planet via the prescripted system initializers?

In the example file they just have it as simple as modifiers = "modifier_name" so I edited earth to be like this

name = "NAME_Earth"
class = "pc_continental"
orbit_distance = 25
orbit_angle = 120
size = 25
starting_planet = yes
has_ring = no
entity = "continental_planet_earth_entity"
tile_blockers = none
modifiers = "pm_natural_beauty"
flags = { planet_earth }

I'd assume that would add natural beauty to earth, but it doesn't. I don't know if this is because I did it wrong, or as a starting planet it's over-ridden. but looking through all the pre-scripted planets I couldn't find a single one that had anything other than "modifer = none" so it feels like there's some other way I'm supposed to be going around this.

Reading up on stuff it seems being a homeworld over-rides a lot of stuff, so I tried to give hostile fauna to alpha centauri. Started a new game, explored it, nothing :(

I don't recall exactly where it is, but there is an event in some game start file that removes all home planet modifiers, as I recall. One thing I did when making my own custom starting system was to add a condition to that event that it would only fire for AI players. I think there was a Paradox forum thread where I found out how to do it, but it's currently down for maintenance so I can't check.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
Well I think my game is done. I've been fighting the scourge but they've taken over a quarter of the Galaxy and have a bunch of fleets hanging around. I can kill about two or three 100k fleets with my fleet before I leave to repair, even with guardian of the Galaxy. At least they took out the dickhead exterminators that kept sassing me first.

Ogdred Weary
Jul 1, 2007

A is for Amy who fell down the stairs
1.82 has been released. Time to go into space.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
No change to the 200 years before crises line. Guess I'm not seeing crises for a while.

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost

Glass of Milk posted:

Well I think my game is done. I've been fighting the scourge but they've taken over a quarter of the Galaxy and have a bunch of fleets hanging around. I can kill about two or three 100k fleets with my fleet before I leave to repair, even with guardian of the Galaxy. At least they took out the dickhead exterminators that kept sassing me first.

The Not-Tyranids? You're not supposed to fight their fleets redcoat style, they'll always outproduce you. You have to Exterminatus their border planets, especially the newly assimilated ones. If you bombard them, they turn into barren worlds, and can't be recolonized by anybody and they'll eventually stop expanding once there are no more nearby worlds to reach.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

IAmTheRad posted:

I want to be fanatic spiritualists for a game, but don't know the other ethic I want to use. Or traits for the race. So no robots or hive minds. I want to spread my religion across the stars.

Fanatic spiritualist goes well with anything. Spiritualist/Egalitarian are good at everything right now.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?
Got my first AE awakening, looks like I'll have to restart. (Wasn't prepared for it, and it's an ironman game)

Not sure why it woke up. Do fortresses and starports count towards military strength threshold?

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

What determines how many of the special systems spawn? I once had the Ringwould sanctuary spawn close to my empire but I lost that game before u could do anything with it. That was a year ago and I haven't seen it since.

Broken Dyson spheres and other mega structures also never seem to spawn near me and it's super disappointing because I love interacting with those features. Is there a mod that forces more of them into a galaxy?

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

Ephemeron posted:

Got my first AE awakening, looks like I'll have to restart. (Wasn't prepared for it, and it's an ironman game)

Not sure why it woke up. Do fortresses and starports count towards military strength threshold?

Just accept subjugation - thanks to decadence their relative power will decline over time and you can eventually break free. Sucks if it's the xenophiles though.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Demiurge4 posted:

What determines how many of the special systems spawn? I once had the Ringwould sanctuary spawn close to my empire but I lost that game before u could do anything with it. That was a year ago and I haven't seen it since.

Broken Dyson spheres and other mega structures also never seem to spawn near me and it's super disappointing because I love interacting with those features. Is there a mod that forces more of them into a galaxy?

There is a mod that forces every possible 'unique' system to spawn. I can't recall the name but I've started using it.

Sanctuary is great but it also seems way tougher than its fleet strength appears. I threw a 30k fleet at it and didn't take out a single station.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?

Aethernet posted:

Just accept subjugation - thanks to decadence their relative power will decline over time and you can eventually break free. Sucks if it's the xenophiles though.
Too late, I already turned the offer of thralldom down.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Ephemeron posted:

Too late, I already turned the offer of thralldom down.

Call them back and ask - if they haven't declared war yet they will usually accept.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Aethernet posted:

How do you even check decadence? I was made a thrall once and I couldn't find out how to see it and the AE only seemed too get stronger over like 30 years.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

I'm wanting to try out some mods, what are people's recommendations? I'm not really wanting anything that massively overhauls or changes the game significantly.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Blooming Brilliant posted:

I'm wanting to try out some mods, what are people's recommendations? I'm not really wanting anything that massively overhauls or changes the game significantly.

Can't go wrong with the cosmetics.

Plantery Diversity is a really good mod that gives you more planet variety. I linked the base mod, you have to subscribe to the sub mods for planet types.

Human Variety for a ton more human portraits since they are the most popular race pick.

LEX adds some unique content and more endgame crisis types.

Flag Pack for more flags.

Awful Utopia a collection of Goon made empires for the random spawns.

Beautiful Universe adds a bunch of gorgeous backgrounds for system view.

Ruler Level System is a cool little favorite of mine. It lets your ruler level up as you play and gives some flavor events. It's mildly game breaking in that getting a level gives you unity boosts.

More Events Mod This is basically mandatory for me at this point.

kaffo
Jun 20, 2017

If it's broken, it's probably my fault

Milky Moor posted:

How do you even check decadence? I was made a thrall once and I couldn't find out how to see it and the AE only seemed too get stronger over like 30 years.

This. I've got an AE in my game which I am super worried actually win the game

I've only got a ~100k fleet, they've got 500k and keep declaring war and ceeding planets/taking vassels. One day they'll cross the magic threshold and win
I'd like to be able to monitor their decadence so I can go and slam into them

I dunno though, how likely is it that they'll win if no-one intervenes?

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Demiurge4 posted:

Can't go wrong with the cosmetics.

Thanks! I'll give these a look :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

PittTheElder posted:

get gud scrub

Yes I usually try and NAP up at least one neighbor and try and get a defensive pact with one soonish to give cover to start the snowball rolling.

Inner perfection is somewhat out of my element...

• Locked thread