Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Hypnolobster posted:

I have no idea how anybody can play chords, especially fast or palm muted chords with inflexible picks.

I moved up from .50 tortex picks to .60's and I still beat the poo poo out of the strings a little bit.

Less drag, more attack, I dunno you can get used to anything with practice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Declan MacManus posted:

you can get used to anything with practice

Basically this, but for every question related to "I don't know how people __________"

Professor Science
Mar 8, 2006
diplodocus + mortarboard = party

Agreed posted:

I can make a recording with a 12mm pick if you want just for some quick metal crap. Warning, danger, my playing is shite as I've been totally hosed in the back for like a year and can only sorta barely play now but I'm having fun with it and I'd totally do it just to prove it can be done if you're interested.
I want to hear this, mainly because I went and found my v-picks in your honor (got kind of sick of the carbon fiber jazz 3s, tbh, and wanted a change...)

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Hypnolobster posted:

I have no idea how anybody can play chords, especially fast or palm muted chords with inflexible picks.

I moved up from .50 tortex picks to .60's and I still beat the poo poo out of the strings a little bit.

They make guitar janitor sweeps a lot easier. That's basically playing a chord really slowly.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Professor Science posted:

I want to hear this, mainly because I went and found my v-picks in your honor (got kind of sick of the carbon fiber jazz 3s, tbh, and wanted a change...)

Haha, will set up to record a quickie bit of riffing tomorrow. With my thickest picks! :black101:

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
Goddamnit. I love it when I can post in this thread.

See the bass? That's new. It's an Ibanez SR800. I was going to grab a Warwick Corvette, but the one I was going to buy had dodgy frets and the 4th fret was ALWAYS playing sharp, no matter how the intonation was set up or how it was tuned. So I went home with the Ibanez. I think I accidentally went home with the better sounding bass because it's been fitting into my mixes so nicely.

Now since I'm a somewhat dedicated Metallica fanboy, what do you think the first thing I recorded with my shiny new bass was? A cover of For Whom The Bell Tolls (Because I can't play Orion yet...). I'm going to do the whole song eventually, but in the name of showing off the new shiny gear, here's the introduction:

https://soundcloud.com/ianwiggs/bellz-intro

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Man, I can't stand Metallica. BUT, I love to hear people like you nail their tunes. I had more fun listening to that track than I have had in weeks, It sounds legit heavy as gently caress and tight as hell.

Kudos, and I apologize if the compliment seems back-handed, I'm just not a Metallica guy. Still a great track and very tight and well engineered.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

Dr. Faustus posted:

Man, I can't stand Metallica. BUT, I love to hear people like you nail their tunes. I had more fun listening to that track than I have had in weeks, It sounds legit heavy as gently caress and tight as hell.

Kudos, and I apologize if the compliment seems back-handed, I'm just not a Metallica guy. Still a great track and very tight and well engineered.

Dude! Thanks a lot for the positive feedback :). I had a lot of fun with this today and a lot of my other recording projects haven't worked out that well recently, so I appreciate the compliments :)

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax

Agreed posted:

Haha, will set up to record a quickie bit of riffing tomorrow. With my thickest picks! :black101:

I used to use the Dimension Junior, it sounds incredibly good and borders on being absurdly fast. So fast in fact that I kind of felt like the pick was doing all the playing and I was just hanging on for the ride.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Agreed posted:

D'Andrea makes some damned nice cellulose picks, and Dunlop's TechPicks are great in Brass

I'm going to buy some brass TeckPicks soon as I can, any other brass/metal picks you'd recommend? The V-Pick acoustic is my favorite pick but I have not been able to find a metallic equivalent.

DrChu
May 14, 2002

Hammer Floyd posted:

Now since I'm a somewhat dedicated Metallica fanboy, what do you think the first thing I recorded with my shiny new bass was? A cover of For Whom The Bell Tolls (Because I can't play Orion yet...). I'm going to do the whole song eventually, but in the name of showing off the new shiny gear, here's the introduction:

https://soundcloud.com/ianwiggs/bellz-intro

Needs some more distortion and wah on the intro, sounds too clean.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fM0cdYVNXB8

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Dava picks have stolen me away V-Picks at the moment, sounds weird but it's true. Also enjoying some dinosaur/mammoth bone picks since Christmas. Unique picks really bring out different ways to approach your technique and playing dynamics. There's nothing quite like fighting a guitar strung with huge strings with a massive v-pick. I just wish my hands could handle that.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

I realize I'm a feeble girly man because most of my picks are 1mm-2mm and whenever I play with a Big Stubby I feel like I'm playing with a quarter but I'm going to get into some giant picks sometime soon

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I don't even understand the heavy pick thing. But I'm basically an electric guitar folkie---If I'm playing at speed, I need to go thinner to be able to rake through fast enough. For slow stuff, I generally don't go any heavier than "medium". Standard "heavy" picks are the maximum, anything beyond that, and I just seem to get stuck on strings.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
:downswords: blah blah blah picks blah blah blah COME ON YOU GUYS LET'S TALK ABOUT ACTUAL TANGIBLE THINGS FOR ONCE HOLY poo poo :jiggled:

I just pulled the trigger on this vibrator vintage Pearl FP-85 on teh ebay.

The seller posted it about a month ago for something like $350 (a little steep considering the seller doesn't know anything about it and there's no information about this microphone ANYWHERE online...) but nobody was buying so it kept getting relisted for lower and lower and lower and lower. I've gambled on three other old Pearl/PML/MILAB mics on eBay and they're actually really fantastic once you work out their idiosyncrasies and match them to an appropriate sound source, so I'm looking forward to seeing what this one can do. :buddy:

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

HollisBrown posted:

I used to use the Dimension Junior, it sounds incredibly good and borders on being absurdly fast. So fast in fact that I kind of felt like the pick was doing all the playing and I was just hanging on for the ride.

I LOVE the Dimension Jr. - I have it in regular and Smoky Mountain colors, both buffed and unbuffed. Definitely one of my favorite in the "not just ludicrously thick" lineup :) My favorites are a custom set of Diamonds he made me on special request after we met up at NAMM, they're made from his ~6mm thick acrylic rather than the ~4mm (I've got the 4mm ones too, unless I sent them out to folks to try - I may have done that 'cause I can only find, to hand, the thicker custom ones). Buffed and unbuffed. Super fast players, kind of like the Dimension Jr. totally wired. But then I miss the rounded edges on the Dimension/Dimension Jr. - they sound really really good, it's an exceptionally versatile pick in my experience. It'd be cool if he'd do a sort of DIMENSION X of some kind and have three totally different points, change one of the rounded ones to something in between it and the very pointed one. Maybe a Snake sharp-style bevel instead... That'd be rad.

Manky posted:

I'm going to buy some brass TeckPicks soon as I can, any other brass/metal picks you'd recommend? The V-Pick acoustic is my favorite pick but I have not been able to find a metallic equivalent.

I like those Dunlop ones and have used them for years; it's hard to find really nice metal picks, in my experience, there are a lot of options out there because metal's easy to work with in sheets for punching out stuff.

I had some picks made from cymbal material that were interesting, kind of like playing with seashells. Not my favorites but at least cracked cymbals didn't go to waste.

My favorite brass pick is the Dugain brass Minidug. With the thumb indent and the finger slot on the back - I just trusted that the dude knew what he was doing, having made picks for like 30 years, and didn't order it special or anything. LOVE it. It's about the same size as a Jazz XL roughly, but totally different bevel. I only see Silver and Bronze as materials right now on his English site: http://www.dugainpicks.com/metal.html

I bet a bronze pick would be pretty cool, though. I wonder why no brass now? Weird.

This did remind me to order a couple extra acetate picks since it's a somewhat easy wearing material and I love how mine sounds and don't want to lose it to time. He's a lot better at putting a bevel on them than I am, it's pretty unique. That's one thing I really like about various pick makers - their take on how it should be tapered and polished, can have a dramatic impact on the sound.

Kilometers Davis posted:

Dava picks have stolen me away V-Picks at the moment, sounds weird but it's true. Also enjoying some dinosaur/mammoth bone picks since Christmas. Unique picks really bring out different ways to approach your technique and playing dynamics. There's nothing quite like fighting a guitar strung with huge strings with a massive v-pick. I just wish my hands could handle that.

Dava picks are really good! People get it a little twisted sometimes and think if someone likes small-batch, handmade picks then obviously they're cork-sniffers who won't recognize cool mass-market picks. Not at all the case, and I actually haven't seen that with hardly any people who are into the whole pick thing. The worst I see, and this bugs the piss out of me, is when somebody does have one of the more expensive picks and tells somebody else that they can't have an opinion unless they pay up and buy one too. That's just ... not helping. And looks dumb as hell.

Alright, setting up to record with the following picks:

Farthest left in this picture, about 13-14mm thick at the gripping point, a Hufschmid Gigantic Drop (don't think he makes these anymore :( Well, I've got two and they seem to hold up well, so should be okay for a while anyway!)

And the truly insane ~12mm V-Picks Insanity:

Just going to do some simple quick riffing, my wrist tires out way easier than it used to. Just going to take time to get back into playing shape I guess.

Handen posted:

:downswords: blah blah blah picks blah blah blah COME ON YOU GUYS LET'S TALK ABOUT ACTUAL TANGIBLE THINGS FOR ONCE HOLY poo poo :jiggled:

:raise:

Cool mic, but deep breaths, ok?

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

First the Gigantic Drop, then the Insanity. In the habit of mixing to fit into a mix, so it's pretty light on bass... I guess I could have made it sound bigger by turning a knob or two up, but what the hell, not the point anyway.

On a lovely side note, it's going to be like a year before I can play remotely as well as I used to be able to. Wow. :smith:

Patman
Oct 11, 2004

Agreed - what is your recommendation for a project guitar with a strat body (my favorite type), but with two humbuckers. I am aiming for a Les Paul sound, but I hate the way a LP body rests on my ribs. I'd replace the cheap components as needed (tuners, neck, bridge, etc)Thanks!

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Patman posted:

Agreed - what is your recommendation for a project guitar with a strat body (my favorite type), but with two humbuckers. I am aiming for a Les Paul sound, but I hate the way a LP body rests on my ribs. I'd replace the cheap components as needed (tuners, neck, bridge, etc)Thanks!

Something in the super-strat style, maybe? An Ibanez?

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
If you want more tips post in the guitar thread but you've got a lot of choices there, and it depends on what exactly you want out of the guitar.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

DrChu posted:

Needs some more distortion and wah on the intro, sounds too clean.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fM0cdYVNXB8

Cheers for the feedback :)

I agree that to get a proper Cliff tone, I'd need to make it filthier and as you said: Wah. However, I would never want to use a bass tone as filthy as what Cliff used so I made things as nasty as I could with what I had (Which was Amplitube...)

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

Dear TGP re: boutique picks...

Admittedly, I'm old but I've REALLY been scratching my head at the seriousness some of you guys seem to view your picks with, BUT I also remembered that I really respect the ability a lot of you possess too, so in the spirit of trying to learn from everyone (even you whippersnappers that play 7 strings with bricks whilst standing on my lawn) I'm going to try something other than my Fender Celluloid Heavy.

But wait! I also have content!I have vowed to bond with a Strat this year. I'm viewing this as the starting point.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

iostream.h posted:

Dear TGP re: boutique picks...

Admittedly, I'm old but I've REALLY been scratching my head at the seriousness some of you guys seem to view your picks with, BUT I also remembered that I really respect the ability a lot of you possess too, so in the spirit of trying to learn from everyone (even you whippersnappers that play 7 strings with bricks whilst standing on my lawn) I'm going to try something other than my Fender Celluloid Heavy.

Ugggh don't even bring it up on TGP, guaranteed shitstorm every time as people play the Justify Your Purchase game and it degenerates into a poo poo-slinging contest between smug assholes who won't buy anything more than whatever MF sells and smug assholes who insist that only their unobtanium masterwork plectrums are even remotely worth consideration. Every, single, time. Picks are worth taking seriously to the extent that they're one of the fundamental acoustic foundations of your guitar's sound, and also have specific material properties that lend themselves well to certain specific applications (e.g. dudes who love thin picks but don't want to 1. break them constantly and 2. don't want a lot of flex, there are some plastics that have a great combo of low coefficient of friction but are rigid and abrasion resistant, so it can come together to mean a light pick will hold up really well even under tough conditions - a company called Red Bear has a bit of a long wait for picks, imo, but their TuffTone material in its thinner sizes is fantastic for that kind of thing, very very rigid but also nearly impervious to breaking from normal, even aggressive use - just don't go bending it with a lot of force on purpose to test how tough it really is :v:).

You take a look at what you like, you consider what you might want to be a little better for you specifically, you check out the various shapes and sizes on offer, and voila, you too can have non-standard picks. It's not a nutty maze or anything, unless you just navel-gaze your way through it like I've done out of absurd, insatiable curiosity. Most everyone could find The One True Pick for them in like one or two tries, I think, especially since most people start out knowing more or less what they like, and just need to move from "this is almost exactly what I'm after" to "perfect!"

I'd be happy to help you find a pick outside the norm if you're looking, fwiw. Because you have a pretty new stratocaster and I love stratocasters and would marry one if my wife would allow that kind of freaky poo poo. Fuckin' social mores, man.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

Agreed posted:

I'd be happy to help you find a pick outside the norm if you're looking, fwiw. Because you have a pretty new stratocaster and I love stratocasters and would marry one if my wife would allow that kind of freaky poo poo. Fuckin' social mores, man.
I'm going to PM you and take you up on this. I'm not unhappy at all with the picks I use (I actually used a lighter Dunlop Tortex for like, 25 years until I realized I was losing a lot of articulation from the flexing and went to the heavy Fenders because they're pretty and being harder I get a bit of 'ring' when I hit the strings) but hell, I've never tried the others so why not? I changed string brands for the first time in 2 decades earlier this year too and it worked out pretty well.

A comment on Fender QC:

I'd never, EVER consider buying a Gibson and taking it straight to a gig or even practice without a proper setup and going-over first. Yesterday I picked up that Strat, drove to practice, plugged it in, tuned it and went about my evening. Zero issues. I WILL be doing a setup on it today of course (intonation is very slightly off, relief could be a little lower) but holy crap, I'm utterly impressed with how well it came setup out of the drat box. And I mean OUT OF THE BOX. Wasn't a demo floor model, it was in the brown cardboard box when I got it.

I also love their new cases, feels like I could throw the sumbitch under the wheels of a Mack truck and have no worries.
Strats are still weird, it's going to be a long journey to get used to this, but I'm actually really happy.

Now to research pickups.

Professor Science
Mar 8, 2006

iostream.h posted:

Now to research pickups.
If you want it to sound like a Strat and you don't mind paying a little more, it's pretty much impossible to go wrong with Fralins. Got the Blues split blades in my ash strat and they are lovely. If I lived somewhere that wasn't so noisy, I'd have put normal single coils in, though.

Literally Elvis
Oct 21, 2013

Quit yappin' about picks and look at the new shiny I bought:

Agile Pendulum Pro 2427
  • 27-24.5" Fan
  • Lace X-Bar in the neck
  • Lace Deathbar in the bridge

got the guitar on Friday and the pickups today, spent the last forever wiring them up. Going to have to replace those screws at some point because I stripped the poo poo out of one of them, but I don't anticipate having to do that for a while, really. Future upgrades will include piezo saddles and maybe a neutrik locking jack.

I thought the fan would be crazy, but really unless you're shredding the pentatonic scale on frets 20-24 you'd never notice it. It's super natural feeling. Currently I've got it strung up 7-62 for a low B to high A tuning. I'm really, really hoping that the standard D'Addario .007 can hang on to high A because while Garry Goodman is a cool dude, he's a little hard to work with, and his strings break a LOT. I'm also a little wary of becoming super dependent on a product made by a single person. At least with D'Addario I know they're making them and they'll be around a while.

If the A doesn't work, I know for a fact the high G will, so I might just do that for a while and see what avenues that takes me down.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

I tuned a 25.5" scale guitar to CGCFCG and used a .08 as my high G without issues (well, after I found and polished off a burr on the bridge saddle - check your hardware, folks, might not be you after all!). Minus 1.5" I'd hope that a .07 could handle a slightly higher note, but I have no real experience with .07s except that god drat is that a thin string. Good luck!

Literally Elvis posted:

Quit yappin' about picks

No, never! I'm getting a Wegen 7 soon as Elderly can ship it out. :3: Super thick pick in Wegen's white badass material? Yes please!

I also recently picked up Klanghelm's newish badass SDRR versatile saturation plugin. I have a very good variety of high end console strip/bus emus, I have MixBus for intense full-on console emu, but this thing has so much that it can do that I'm falling in looooove :love: It'll even do a neat fuzz-face kinda sound, but it shines in every area of saturation! Four distinct modes (Tube / Digi / Fuzz / Desk) each with tweakable options as per Klanghelm's norm, and extraordinarily high sound quality in each of them... Allowing you to combine what a ton of other distortion/saturation plugins do into one easy-to-use but sophisticated-under-the-hood piece of software. It's pretty much retired Decimort and Redopter from D16 group except for some neat special case stuff for instruments, and might just replace Decapitator for me. Might!

Agreed fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Dec 31, 2013

Thorpe
Feb 14, 2007

RELEASE THE KITTIES

Literally Elvis posted:

Quit yappin' about picks and look at the new shiny I bought:

Agile Pendulum Pro 2427
  • 27-24.5" Fan
  • Lace X-Bar in the neck
  • Lace Deathbar in the bridge

got the guitar on Friday and the pickups today, spent the last forever wiring them up. Going to have to replace those screws at some point because I stripped the poo poo out of one of them, but I don't anticipate having to do that for a while, really. Future upgrades will include piezo saddles and maybe a neutrik locking jack.

I thought the fan would be crazy, but really unless you're shredding the pentatonic scale on frets 20-24 you'd never notice it. It's super natural feeling. Currently I've got it strung up 7-62 for a low B to high A tuning. I'm really, really hoping that the standard D'Addario .007 can hang on to high A because while Garry Goodman is a cool dude, he's a little hard to work with, and his strings break a LOT. I'm also a little wary of becoming super dependent on a product made by a single person. At least with D'Addario I know they're making them and they'll be around a while.

If the A doesn't work, I know for a fact the high G will, so I might just do that for a while and see what avenues that takes me down.

How do you like the x-bar/deathbar combo in a pendulum? I'm waiting for a fixed bridge 9 string one to come back in stock and was looking at a set of those for it. I do a lot of clean tapping and slap stuff and love low low tunings. Going for a low C!

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

Agreed posted:

I also recently picked up Klanghelm's newish badass SDRR versatile saturation plugin. I have a very good variety of high end console strip/bus emus, I have MixBus for intense full-on console emu, but this thing has so much that it can do that I'm falling in looooove :love: It'll even do a neat fuzz-face kinda sound, but it shines in every area of saturation! Four distinct modes (Tube / Digi / Fuzz / Desk) each with tweakable options as per Klanghelm's norm, and extraordinarily high sound quality in each of them... Allowing you to combine what a ton of other distortion/saturation plugins do into one easy-to-use but sophisticated-under-the-hood piece of software. It's pretty much retired Decimort and Redopter from D16 group except for some neat special case stuff for instruments, and might just replace Decapitator for me. Might!
THAT looks awesome, I emailed asking about Pro Tools 11 support, hopefully they reply in the affirmative.
Also, sent you a PM with way too much info about my gear and crap.

Literally Elvis
Oct 21, 2013

Thorpe posted:

How do you like the x-bar/deathbar combo in a pendulum? I'm waiting for a fixed bridge 9 string one to come back in stock and was looking at a set of those for it. I do a lot of clean tapping and slap stuff and love low low tunings. Going for a low C!

The Deathbar is super articulate, it makes you sound like a better player than you are. X-bar is clean as a whistle, and coil splits really well. It's really absurd how good these pickups are, for all the lack of buzz about them.

Since getting this, I've been thinking my next guitar will be a rondo custom 9-string with the same scale lengths I've got going now and same pickups, but we'll have to see what the future holds.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

iostream.h posted:

THAT looks awesome, I emailed asking about Pro Tools 11 support, hopefully they reply in the affirmative.
Also, sent you a PM with way too much info about my gear and crap.

I don't know if it supports anything past RTAS, moving on to AAX with his current programming platform (C++ via WDL-OL) - it does support full 64-bit end to end and VST3, which is pretty awesome, but not going to win friends and influence the shape of things without (absurdly repeated platform shifting :mad: :negative:) forward ProTools support...

If you are using a supported DAW, which is pretty much anything that can run non-AAX plugins, one of the cooler things about it is that not only does he have this super sophisticated but really easy to use plugin, but he actually made a compact plugin version of the Desk Bus mode called IVGI totally free!

I also HIGHLY HIGHLY recommend DC8C2, that thing is loving killer for compression, it'll do more than many dedicated character comps in terms of sounding like the thing they're trying to emulate if you know the way that they did their thing, dude is GREAT at programming DSP. I think DC8C and DC8C2 make the top-tier freebies Molot and Limiter No. 6 look kinda amateur, and that's saying a lot, as the guy behind them is also a real wiz at coding DSP. It also has a free version, DC1A, which I use regularly because sometimes you just want two knobs to adjust everything that'd otherwise be adjusted by 20 knobs and 8 buttons.

Dude rocks. His prices are nuts, he could be charging an order of magnitude more than he is but just chooses not to. And he doesn't do copy protection, thinks it's ideologically stupid and treats customers like criminals. Maybe it costs him some sales but probably not, since the price is so low to begin with I personally felt it was a pleasure to reward his expertise and ideology with the immensely fair prices he's asking.

Re: the gigantoPM, is it okay if I wait a day or two to suss through that and get back to you? I just got back from the holidays and need to unpack a bit, man, I will be GLAD to help you but would appreciate a breather if it's alright :) Bond with that strat in the meantime! Try some nickel strings on it if you're not allergic, I love the BB King signatures on it, they run 11-54, but you can get just as much spank out of a set of steel standard 10s if that's your preference. I just love the way nickel wound strings feel and how they don't produce quite as much induction at the transducers so you have/get to dig in a bit more when you want the lower strings to bite, or they'll be a little cleaner sounding at a given gauge. Dig it, dig it, dig it.

Edit: I've got an email in to him to ask about AAX support going forward, I'll let you know soon as I know. He's usually quick to respond, but he's also in Germany, so allowing for that I reckon I'll have something tomorrow. I hope he'll be able to support the new format, but it can get costly. I dunno. We'll see.

Agreed fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Dec 31, 2013

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

Agreed posted:

If you are using a supported DAW, which is pretty much anything that can run non-AAX plugins
Oh hey I didn't even think about Logic Pro X or Presonus Studio, I've been neck deep in Pro Tools lately (and I have PT10 as well) learning the ins and outs to the exclusion of all others.

Agreed posted:

gigantoPM, is it okay if I wait a day or two to suss through that and get back to you?
NO I NEEDS MAH FREELY GIVEN ADVICE AND GUIDANCE NOW!!
Take your time man, there's absolutely no rush at all, I've got so much on my plate to keep me busy there's nothing to worry about (I'm actually honing a batch of straight razors tonight while I catch up on some tv time), I greatly appreciate it! I'm curious how much you laughed at all the crap I included too!

Agreed posted:

Bond with that strat in the meantime! Try some nickel strings on it if you're not allergic, I love the BB King signatures on it, they run 11-54, but you can get just as much spank out of a set of steel standard 10s if that's your preference. I just love the way nickel wound strings feel and how they don't produce quite as much induction at the transducers so you have/get to dig in a bit more when you want the lower strings to bite, or they'll be a little cleaner sounding at a given gauge. Dig it, dig it, dig it.

Professor Science posted:

If you want it to sound like a Strat and you don't mind paying a little more, it's pretty much impossible to go wrong with Fralins. Got the Blues split blades in my ash strat and they are lovely. If I lived somewhere that wasn't so noisy, I'd have put normal single coils in, though.
I'm not sure which way I'm going to go with it at this point. I DO like the way it plays (a big issue, I've only owned a couple of Strats in about 30 years of playing) but I'm not sure how to deal with the tone. At the settings I normally use with my other guitars (humbuckers and P90s) it's pretty shrill and has a characteristic that I'm unused to (and I can't really describe it well yet) and has WAY less gain because of (I assume) the lower output of the CS Fat 50s. I'm getting used to the tone/volume controls (which isn't a big deal since I'm a knob monkey onstage anyway) and that's helping, but the tonal difference along with the markedly lower sustain means it's a big shock and my playing style has pretty much evolved around a constant stream of Les Pauls over the years.

A concern regarding replacement pickups (which won't happen for at least a month as I've committed to a 30 day period before contemplating ANY modifications) is that this IS going to be in my gig rotation and some of the shows are in places with some Godawful power and lighting so noise is of course a concern. I DEFINITELY want to retain the 'Strat sound' as it's been the constantly missing part of my gear all my life so making it sound like a LP or something would be kind of defeating the purpose of picking it up in the first place.

I'm enjoying it tho', it plays so differently from anything else I have, the pickups respond so differently and it just FEELS different, I'm digging it.

My friends all think it's hilarious, I keep getting random texts 'hey what color is it again? black? trans black? quilt top? multi-colored?' because I lean towards interesting tops and weird colors (my favorite guitar of all time was a 1989 Les Paul Custom Lite in that metallic pink color, it was stolen some years ago :smith:) so the idea of me with a solid colored guitar is kind of funny.

Anyway, here's a quick family portrait because pictures:

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Those DiMeola PRSes always look so nice but they also always make me laugh at Al DiMeola because he's kind of a twat

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

muike posted:

Those DiMeola PRSes always look so nice but they also always make me laugh at Al DiMeola because he's kind of a twat
First thing I did when I got it home was to flip the TRC over so you can't see his name on it.
He's not KIND of a twat, he's an outright jackass, but it's a fantastic guitar and those 57/08 pickups are the only PRS pickups I've ever liked, EVER. I love PRS but I've always joked that you don't buy a PRS because of how it sounds stock, this is the sole exception I've ever found to that rule.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

iostream.h posted:

Oh hey I didn't even think about Logic Pro X or Presonus Studio, I've been neck deep in Pro Tools lately (and I have PT10 as well) learning the ins and outs to the exclusion of all others.

NO I NEEDS MAH FREELY GIVEN ADVICE AND GUIDANCE NOW!!
Take your time man, there's absolutely no rush at all

Whew.

Professor Science and I have a long running disagreement over whether Fender CSN pickups are awesome (my perspective) or total poo poo (his perspective). One thing's for sure, they really are noiseless! An expensive experiment, though. Save your old pickups in case you decide they're terrible. And if your guitar's pickup cavity is shallow, be prepared to do awful things to it with woodworking tools to make them fit, because it's the only way they will. I had to do quite a lot of modification to my Japanese Custom Special 22 to get them to fit in it but god drat does it sound amazing now. It's got some weird special sauce wiring, though, definitely a lot of stuff going on with that strat that isn't conventional at all.

I think sticking with your "no changes for at least a month" plan is the way to go, though. Fender's stock pickups aren't bad at all these days. Hell, I have a 2003 American Tele that has the Delta Tone setup (lovely lipstick in the neck, hotter than usual bridge pickup, and a tone control that takes itself out of the way like an Esquire if you put it in the 10 o'clock detent) and I wouldn't change a single thing about it. I love the way it sounds and the only adjustments I've ever needed to make to it are strictly pickup height. You might find that the standard pickup arrangement grows on you, or you might find that you need to change 'em out for something a little more your style. I have quite a bit of experience with strat pickups from about 1995 to 2008, after that I stopped paying especially close attention, but there were some pretty cool developments during that period that I would be happy to discuss with you as part of the general "let's talk gear!" PM chain :D

One thing does stand out, though - it's a little unusual to hear of a marked difference in sustain with a Strat vs. a LP; a properly setup Strat ought to have very little eating its good vibrations, and should sustain very well, especially the American models with the big block trem... You might want to consider checking out some thicker metal bridge saddles, they can help keep those good vibrations going longer and were one of the better inexpensive upgrades I did to my first strat. Every one since then hasn't come with the bent "Strat-style" bridge saddles to begin with, so no need to mod 'em. Hell, even the 2003 tele has big steel block saddles (though obviously it's a fixed bridge). I don't like the ones from GFS, they seem to have fairly poor tolerances and not only that they're not great about removing the burrs so you might end up breaking strings once we get you set up with some Real Picks. (just a joke you sensitive fuckers gosh go back to talking about your guitars-cum-chapman-sticks ugh ;))

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

Agreed posted:

Fender CSN pickups are awesome (my perspective)

Agreed.

Professor Science
Mar 8, 2006
pfft, extra context: I said they were poo poo in an ash Strat that's already really bright. if other people like them in their guitars, that's fine. your mileage can and will vary :v:

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
Quick question.

I have a Gibson Les Paul Standard and I have an LTD FX260 (Explorer). I can mute with my picking hand a lot more effectively on my Les Paul than I can on my LTD. If I bought a Les Paul bridge and stuck that onto the LTD, would that do anything? I'm aware that the LTD has a flat top whereas the Les Paul is carved, so I'm wondering if that's going to be the bigger difference...

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
They're both tunomatics so I bet it's just your arm angle. It sits different on your body, right? You just need to to figure out the right angle, I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

muike posted:

They're both tunomatics so I bet it's just your arm angle. It sits different on your body, right? You just need to to figure out the right angle, I think.

In which case, the carved top is going to be having a much bigger difference than the bridge right?