Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

UV Codes. Please post to let others know if you take one.

Free Fire: CAA6NL007KHCYSK9
Kong: Skull Island: G3QYV9F6G363

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Grabbed Kong. Thank you so much!

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I wouldn't be surprised if Criterion got at least Pink Flamingos and Polyester from Warner Bros. since they released them on laserdisc.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
I want a criterion edition of Cry Baby.

As for T2, I need to get a new blu ray. My existing one is the extended edition and I don't like that version.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

CopywrightMMXI posted:

I want a criterion edition of Cry Baby.

As for T2, I need to get a new blu ray. My existing one is the extended edition and I don't like that version.

As far as I know, there's never been a video release that didn't have both the theatrical and special edition cuts. Though, I recall that some editions had the theatrical kind of hidden in the menu.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

Egbert Souse posted:

As far as I know, there's never been a video release that didn't have both the theatrical and special edition cuts. Though, I recall that some editions had the theatrical kind of hidden in the menu.

Good to know - I'll double check mine when I get home.

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe
Say, has anyone ever heard any rumours about Pink Floyd The Wall on blu-ray? I'm not really sure how big a hit it ever was, but at the very least it's considered a cult classic.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Steen71 posted:

Say, has anyone ever heard any rumours about Pink Floyd The Wall on blu-ray? I'm not really sure how big a hit it ever was, but at the very least it's considered a cult classic.

Roger Waters really dislikes it. I'd bet it's gonna be a while, unfortunately.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

egon_beeblebrox posted:

Roger Waters really dislikes it. I'd bet it's gonna be a while, unfortunately.

But does John Waters like it is the real question

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Hoo boy, big day at B/N. Ended up with:

-Seven Samurai
-Throne of Blood
-Watership Down
-Kagemusha
-Spy who came in from the cold
-Game
-Yojimbo

lots of these I've been wanting for ages so I'm glad I fixed that. Also if the new Ghibli releases have the same covers as the JP ones, I would consider replacing a few. I picked up the JP versions of pom poko and Mononoke because I didn't want to wait for the US release, and they're such gorgeous covers.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I've never seen a Kurosawa film except Dreams what should I start with

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Empress Brosephine posted:

I suggest Yojimbo or The Hidden Fortress. Both had major impacts on American pop culture and are just flat out entertaining as hell.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
Are any of John Waters' film on blu-ray other than Multiple Maniacs and Hairspray?

Also, I just watched Multiple Maniacs for the first time last night and all I can say is:stare:

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Basebf555 posted:

I suggest Yojimbo or The Hidden Fortress. Both had major impacts on American pop culture and are just flat out entertaining as hell.

For the same reason, Seven Samurai.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Cool thanks guys. I bought hidden fortress and going to order yojimbo and seven samurai

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Detective No. 27 posted:

Yeah. It's one of those "oh yeah, I should see this." movies and I looked to see if Vudu had it, they didn't, so I checked Amazon for a Blu-ray on the cheap and it didn't even exist.

Isnt the point of it to see a lovely copy of a copy in a grimy theater?

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

CPL593H posted:

Are any of John Waters' film on blu-ray other than Multiple Maniacs and Hairspray?
Cry Baby has a release and Scream Factory did a special edition of Serial Mom.

There's a 720 of Pink Flamingos floating around, but that movie was filmed via trashan, there's no way to make it look good.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Legitimately just watch all of them, but Rashomon and High and Low are also amazing.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

got any sevens posted:

Isnt the point of it to see a lovely copy of a copy in a grimy theater?

I'd go if there was a screening but that doesn't ever seem to happen at a convenient time and place for me.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

I have the Skynet edition of T2 and it looks like it does have the theatrical version.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Seven Samurai might be my favorite war movie ever, so I'm gonna recommend that.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Steen71 posted:

Warner Bros. has streaming, TV, and theatrical rights since it's a pre-1986 Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer film, but I think it was worked out with Pink Floyd Music for video rights in recent years due to the cost of music licensing. Sony released the DVD, but the laserdisc was MGM/UA Home Video (before Warner Bros. absorbed the Turner library). The Sony DVD has a line in the credits like "Special Thanks to Turner Entertainment" or something.

I'd consider it a likely title for Criterion to handle since they're handling virtually all the big rock/concert films (A Hard Day's Night, Gimme Shelter, Monterey Pop, Dont Look Back, Quadrophrenia).

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Detective No. 27 posted:

I'd go if there was a screening but that doesn't ever seem to happen at a convenient time and place for me.

Same with me :/. I'd also like to see Rocky Horror in a theater, dunno where that still happens though. The only midnight movie I ever saw was Mario Brothers

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I'm like 10 minutes into the Criterion Stalker and it looks so loving good :swoon: I'm really happy. I've been waiting almost a decade for this movie to come out on Blu-Ray and I haven't seen it in several years.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I'm like 10 minutes into the Criterion Stalker and it looks so loving good :swoon: I'm really happy. I've been waiting almost a decade for this movie to come out on Blu-Ray and I haven't seen it in several years.

A decade ago is when I first played Stalker: shadow of chernobyl as well.

Can't wait to watch it this weekend.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Lionsgate confirmed Terminator 2 UHD for Oct. 3. Doesn't look like the US is getting the 3-D version yet.

Also, Sony has The Bridge on the River Kwai UHD set for Oct. 3, as well. Same restoration as the Blu-Ray, but it'll have HDR and Dolby Atmos.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
I was kinda confused that it mentioned 3 cuts of Terminator 2. From what I can tell there's one that uses the alternate future ending with old Sarah? Are there other changes? Because that version sounds abysmal.

I'm OK with most of the other added scenes although it's pretty similar to Aliens in that the theatrical is by far the best overall if you take into account pacing. Seeing Miles talking about going on vacation with his family is worthless, the chip scene is super cool but kinda long, but I really like the little T-1000 malfunctions at the end.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Yeah, there are three versions:

- Theatrical
- Extended (Reese scene, extended scene about the chip in the shop, T-1000 malfunction, Arnie smiling in the desert)
- Ultimate (future coda ending)

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

caligulamprey posted:

Cry Baby has a release and Scream Factory did a special edition of Serial Mom.

There's a 720 of Pink Flamingos floating around, but that movie was filmed via trashan, there's no way to make it look good.

I can't believe I forgot Serial Mom when I've been meaning to pick it up for so long.

Timby posted:

Yeah, there are three versions:

- Theatrical
- Extended (Reese scene, extended scene about the chip in the shop, T-1000 malfunction, Arnie smiling in the desert)
- Ultimate (future coda ending)

I believe the "Ultimate" version also has an extra scene where the T-1000 searches John's bedroom.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

If wallets weren't hurting enough, Kino just launched their new Studio Classics website, with most Blu-rays 40% off, including pre-orders. MSRP is usually $29.99, so nearly everything is going for about $18-20.

The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly: 50th Anniversary Edition:
https://www.klstudioclassics.com/product/view/id/4551

Barton Fink:
https://www.klstudioclassics.com/product/view/id/4545

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

I bought Kong today and I really regret not picking it up in 4K. I forgot how vibrant it was. I just need to get more 4K movies in general, especially big action movies.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I heard literally 0 people talking about that movie is it good

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

It's a blast and, yes, really pops with the HDR in 4K.

That said, how much you'll enjoy it depends on how much you appreciate the thrill of watching a giant monkey tear poo poo up.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Kong is incredibly bright and stylized and just fun. The director Jordan Vogt-Roberts was heavily inspired by anime and video games and it shows. It's a better anime movie than movies based on actual animes.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
Kong owns

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Is there a good transfer of Suspiria around? The one on Prime looks like total dogshit

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

morestuff posted:

Is there a good transfer of Suspiria around? The one on Prime looks like total dogshit

Not really, there's one being worked on for a blu ray release but it's taking forever. I assume once that's done it'll show up for streaming as well.

Unless you're in the UK or have a region free player.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I heard literally 0 people talking about that movie is it good

Probably the best Monster flick to come out in a LOOONNNG while. I'd say it's a borderline perfect film for me. It hits everything I adore in film.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Kong also manages to hire enough character actors you like so you won't be entirely bored by scenes that don't involve giant animals loving poo poo up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
The only thing holding Kong back from being THE perfect monster flick for me is the design of the skull crawlers. If they were a little more unique looking or even if just "The Big One" had been more impressive I think that would make it a 10/10.

• Locked thread