Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

SE just put up the opening cinematic for 13-3. You've already seen most of this through the other trailers, but here it is in one big video.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

nine-gear crow posted:

I'm about halfway through replaying XIII right now (for reasons that still elude me) and one of the things I noticed was how much better a character Vanille was (...relatively speaking) when you have the same level of situation awareness that she does.

Vanille is one of my favourite FFXIII characters for approximately this reason.

Both her and hope are good sendups of the boy hero/girl hero in many JRPGs. Hope is a teenage boy who lost his family and seeks redress and this is terrible and he's traumatised and destructive. Vanille is a teenage girl who is a bubbly basket of cheer and it's all her fault.

Then there's Snow who is a leader of a resistance group and he's useless and counterproductive and his group is just a way for people to feel better about themselves.

I don't think this applies to Sazh, Fang and Lightning, but they were always the adults in the room.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

Vanille, Snow, and Hope would have absolutely owned if the game had better acting direction.

There were definitely scenes of theirs that might've been genuinely funny, touching, or otherwise engaging, though all missed the mark by varying degrees. Still, it was cool when Snow realized the only way he could be a "hero" was by scaring the populace away by announcing himself as an untouchable pariah, there was some empathy there with Lightning trying to explain things to Hope and seeing how close yet how far he missed the point by (and how Lightning's own anger and lack of clarity didn't help), and the scene with Vanille finally cracking, prompting a similar breakdown from Sazh, while their pursuers just looked on smugly was particularly cathartic.

That, actually, would have been made a lot more powerful if there'd been more follow-through with their conflict vs. Nabaat and company, but that was a character who went almost completely to waste.

v v v

T.G. Xarbala posted:

The VAs for FF13 performed admirably with the direction they had to work under.

Maybe. The only insider bit I've heard myself was with Vanille's actress talking about how she had to put on that weird cutesy act like her Japanese counterpart, which probably says enough about how dumbfoundingly incompetent these localizers were, but it'd be interesting to hear what they put the rest of them through to kill whatever soul might've snuck its way into these characters.

Mazed fucked around with this message at 10:49 on Sep 24, 2013

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

The VAs for FF13 performed admirably with the direction they had to work under.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

Mazed posted:

Vanille, Snow, and Hope would have absolutely owned if the game had better acting direction.

There were definitely scenes of theirs that might've been genuinely funny, touching, or otherwise engaging, though all missed the mark by varying degrees. Still, it was cool when Snow realized the only way he could be a "hero" was by scaring the populace away by announcing himself as an untouchable pariah, there was some empathy there with Lightning trying to explain things to Hope and seeing how close yet how far he missed the point by (and how Lightning's own anger and lack of clarity didn't help), and the scene with Vanille finally cracking, prompting a similar breakdown from Sazh, while their pursuers just looked on smugly was particularly cathartic.

That, actually, would have been made a lot more powerful if there'd been more follow-through with their conflict vs. Nabaat and company, but that was a character who went almost completely to waste.

It still amuses me that she was killed off so quickly, she's built up as being this really efficient person but through out the Palamecia raid she gets overwhelmed by what's happening, having hundreds of different colour codes for alarms didn't help, and Barthandelus just kills her, he did say she could leave after all!

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Peel posted:

Then there's Snow who is a leader of a resistance group and he's useless and counterproductive and his group is just a way for people to feel better about themselves.

That was one of the things that really pissed me off about Snow, particularly on my secondly playthrough; he gets an entire town massacred thanks to his reckless stupidity, plus all the PSICOM soldiers he murders along with the rest of the party, and yet he gets away scot free without facing the reproductions of his brickheaded actions. He should have had to watch those four dipshits he conned into forming a backyard militia with get gunned down by PSICOM, preferably whilst shouting "The army's no match for NORA! :commissar:"

Basically, gently caress Snow. No amount of Troy Baker being his Troy Baker-est could save such a terminally un-self-aware jaggoff.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
I watched that intro vid and while it was pretty, I have no idea what is going on. I feel like i should considering I played the first two, but i was skimming a lot of the plot by the end of xiii-2. Hopefully it will be explained in game. How long after the end of xiii-2 is this game? Why are Lightning and Snow fighting?

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

I found the FFXIII party to be my favourite in the whole series so I guess the acting direction is more or less bad for different people. v:shobon:v

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Fingers McLongDong posted:

I watched that intro vid and while it was pretty, I have no idea what is going on. I feel like i should considering I played the first two, but i was skimming a lot of the plot by the end of xiii-2. Hopefully it will be explained in game. How long after the end of xiii-2 is this game? Why are Lightning and Snow fighting?

This is A While after 13-2. Snow has gone mad with grief because his girlfriend had a temporal heart attack and died and has sunk into a life of debauchery, gambling, and alcohol (reportedly while hanging out with a woman who looks exactly like his girlfriend but is not his girlfriend.) Lightning is fighting him because the world ended and she needs to bring people to the new world and I guess she wants him to come but he's like "GOD Claire you are the WORST will you just GO AWAY AND LET ME DIE"

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

I haven't been watching the trailers or anything, is there any explanation for Snow getting out of the coliseum?

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

alcharagia posted:

This is A While after 13-2. Snow has gone mad with grief because his girlfriend had a temporal heart attack and died and has sunk into a life of debauchery, gambling, and alcohol (reportedly while hanging out with a woman who looks exactly like his girlfriend but is not his girlfriend.) Lightning is fighting him because the world ended and she needs to bring people to the new world and I guess she wants him to come but he's like "GOD Claire you are the WORST will you just GO AWAY AND LET ME DIE"

That's better than I thought it would be, which was either Snow's been possessed, or it's someone else who looks like him.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Terper posted:

SE just put up the opening cinematic for 13-3. You've already seen most of this through the other trailers, but here it is in one big video.

So, why is Lightning now Neo and why is Snow chilling out in a club like the Merovingian? I mean, I know that's a tortured reference but seriously, what the hell is even going on in the story anymore? :psyduck:

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

alcharagia posted:

Snow has gone mad with grief and has sunk into a life of debauchery, gambling, and alcohol

I dunno why, but in every FF13 game, except the first, Snow is the best drat character. Maybe it's the lack of focus, and just seeing snippets of it, so he just seems a lot more awesome than he is. In 13-2, the Time Cop Snow ending was loving amazing and this is ramping it up further. :allears:

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
I think it's just that Snow's attitude and demeanor fit the story better in XIII-2.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

To anyone who thought I was mocking you about FFXIII being absurdly easy I apologize and now I understand why the re-release of FFXIII includes an easy mode. I've just learned that a friend of mine can not beat the Manasavin Warmech fight (not the two tutorial ones, the one at Bresha aka the first boss where you are a L'Cie) even after 10 attempts. This is a person with "perfect" game files for Final Fantasy's 7 through 10-2 so good lord.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Barudak posted:

To anyone who thought I was mocking you about FFXIII being absurdly easy I apologize and now I understand why the re-release of FFXIII includes an easy mode. I've just learned that a friend of mine can not beat the Manasavin Warmech fight (not the two tutorial ones, the one at Bresha aka the first boss where you are a L'Cie) even after 10 attempts. This is a person with "perfect" game files for Final Fantasy's 7 through 10-2 so good lord.

Yeah that fight actually requires you to swap to Sentinel set ups with some actual timing, a mechanic they never explain before then, nor do they have any 'soft' tutorial about watching enemy attacks for Paradigm shifting. My first time through it took 4 tries.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Yeah that fight actually requires you to swap to Sentinel set ups with some actual timing, a mechanic they never explain before then, nor do they have any 'soft' tutorial about watching enemy attacks for Paradigm shifting. My first time through it took 4 tries.

Which is especially weird because you don't use sentinel again as a character class in a boss fight until you get to Hope's house which is about 12 hours or so from there in the game. Everything involving sentinel in that game is heavily botched.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
I had forgotten about that fight entirely. I had the most trouble with Enlil & Enki myself. Screw those guys.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Renoistic posted:

I had forgotten about that fight entirely. I had the most trouble with Enlil & Enki myself. Screw those guys.

Yeah until she got stuck there I forgot that you even fight that thing twice much less three times. Enlil and Enki are bullshit since there are two of them and basically fill the same roles as your two person squad making it a way closer fight than pretty much anything else. The only upside is that once you drop one of them the fight is a cakewalk.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Renoistic posted:

E&E are trash for almost the same reason. It's a fight where you really really have to lay hard into Sab & Syn, which you really didn't have to ever before, except for those armadillo guys you can fight that the game explicitly says "HEY, YOU DON'T HAVE TO FIGHT EVERYTHING, SOMETIMES IT'S BETTER TO AVOID HARD FIGHTS LIKE THESE GUYS"

EDIT: Also the warmech refight is really dumb from a design perspective. It's the 3rd time you fought it, it's broken down and looks super weakened, and you just unlocked your super powers. The set up makes it seem like this fight should have been 100x easier than the previous two, but it's the only one you actively have to try on.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Sep 24, 2013

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Hi, I'm Hubaba. Oh you have quick stagger? Thats cute you need to get me to 700% to stagger. Oh you dealt half of my enormous (for that point in the game) HP pool? Tough poo poo, I'm going to fully heal, remove all debuffs, heavily buff myself, and start using AoE attacks that hit for 3 times what I was doing before. You can fight me or you could take on those soldiers over there who will die in a single round of combat before you get a chance to stagger them.

Enemy difficulty is... wonky in FFXIII.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Renoistic posted:

That's one of the best fights in the game for me. It's just a laid-back scuffle with a couple of lizard dudes and awesome musical accompaniment.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

McDragon posted:

That's one of the best fights in the game for me. It's just a laid-back scuffle with a couple of lizard dudes and awesome musical accompaniment.

It is one of the cooler fights in the game. But it also one of the hardest (story-related) fights.

EDIT: Watching the boss fights on Youtube reminds me of how drat pretty FFXIII is. If only there had been more to the game :smith:
Every time I watch videos I get this urge to buy the game again and replay it, but I just can't bring myself to do it. That game sorely needed a NG+ mode. The sequel has one, kind of, but no way in hell am I going near that game again.

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Sep 24, 2013

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Barudak posted:

Hi, I'm Hubaba. Oh you have quick stagger? Thats cute you need to get me to 700% to stagger. Oh you dealt half of my enormous (for that point in the game) HP pool? Tough poo poo, I'm going to fully heal, remove all debuffs, heavily buff myself, and start using AoE attacks that hit for 3 times what I was doing before. You can fight me or you could take on those soldiers over there who will die in a single round of combat before you get a chance to stagger them.

Enemy difficulty is... wonky in FFXIII.

Hi, I'm the Proudclod, this is the first time we've fought. Wow my stagger gauge is super low isn't it? I bet you should do what the games spent 100 hours teaching you and stagger me to beat me up? Oh, now I'm staggered? Guess I'll now activate my hyper form, full heal myself regularly, and attack so hard and fast, focusing on one target, that the second you swap out of Sen/Med one of your party members are immediately dead. What's that? You did a huge number of hunts and grinding on Gran Pulse and this is literally the best you could be at the moment? Who cares!

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Hi, I'm the Proudclod, this is the first time we've fought. Wow my stagger gauge is super low isn't it? I bet you should do what the games spent 100 hours teaching you and stagger me to beat me up? Oh, now I'm staggered? Guess I'll now activate my hyper form, full heal myself regularly, and attack so hard and fast, focusing on one target, that the second you swap out of Sen/Med one of your party members are immediately dead. What's that? You did a huge number of hunts and grinding on Gran Pulse and this is literally the best you could be at the moment? Who cares!

The Proudclad (?) was hilarious when I realized that was its gimmick. It constantly barfs little piles of damage onto you and then once it goes out of stagger "Hyper Mode" pops up and the little piles of damage are suddenly huge clusters of red. Its a weird, weird fight where you manage the inverse of what you've been doing all game up to that point. It thankfully is weak to like every status effect under the sun though so you don't need the stagger guage to lop off its health.

It didn't heal itself when I fought it, is that just a random skill it can use?

Barudak fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Sep 24, 2013

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Barudak posted:

The Proudclad (?) was hilarious when I realized that was its gimmick. It constantly barfs little piles of damage onto you and then once it goes out of stagger "Hyper Mode" pops up and the little piles of damage are suddenly huge clusters of red. Its a weird, weird fight where you manage the inverse of what you've been doing all game up to that point.

It didn't heal itself when I fought it, is that just a random skill it can use?

It happens after then end of every stagger period. So if, you're like me and got super loving frustrated in that first attempt and just tried to blitz him down as fast as possible you saw it one or 2 times.

Then I just used Snows 5 point ATB attack to cheese him down to dead because gently caress that fight.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

It happens after then end of every stagger period. So if, you're like me and got super loving frustrated in that first attempt and just tried to blitz him down as fast as possible you saw it one or 2 times.

Then I just used Snows 5 point ATB attack to cheese him down to dead because gently caress that fight.

He absolutely didn't do that to me because I knocked off about 65% of his health at the end of the first stagger. Is it not a full heal and maybe I didn't notice the partial healing?

If you're willing to waste TP you can also cast Stopga and gently caress over his hypermode.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Terper posted:

Ugh. NotSerah looks like she's going to be even more annoying and awful than Serah. At least Snow is looking cool as hell with his giant ice axe. It also amuses me that Lightning is at this point a teleporting, soul-stealing, basically goddess, and she still takes the train like everybody else.

And I can't be the only one who half expected the cat girl who got pulled into the chaos fold or whatever to reemerge as a torrent of blood a la The Third Birthday's intro, can I?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The only fight I had trouble with so far was Odin, but I only failed it like 4 or 5 times, and I was close each time.

It's neat how experimentation in battle results in some neat, helpful tricks. I don't think the game says this anywhere but I guess if you have a SAB debuff an enemy, their stagger drains a lot slower, as if you had had a Commando in the fight, which was extremely helpful for some stretches without Lightning in an earlier chapter. It also took me a while to realize that I only need to land a hit with a Commando before I can switch over to an all RAV Paradigm and the meter still drains slowly. Lots of cool mechanics in this game!

"worst birthday ever" was a nice scene too, I'm enjoying this game more the more I play.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
My thoughts on FF13: If you have a SAB and/or SYN in the party, why aren't you using them? Their buffs/debuffs help more than you think. When you finally have a 3-man party, if you're not starting your fights with the Evened Odds paradigm, I don't know what's wrong with you, son.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Great Lakes Log posted:

The only fight I had trouble with so far was Odin, but I only failed it like 4 or 5 times, and I was close each time.

It's neat how experimentation in battle results in some neat, helpful tricks. I don't think the game says this anywhere but I guess if you have a SAB debuff an enemy, their stagger drains a lot slower, as if you had had a Commando in the fight, which was extremely helpful for some stretches without Lightning in an earlier chapter. It also took me a while to realize that I only need to land a hit with a Commando before I can switch over to an all RAV Paradigm and the meter still drains slowly. Lots of cool mechanics in this game!

"worst birthday ever" was a nice scene too, I'm enjoying this game more the more I play.

Now you should incorporate the ATB Refresh trick. Every 12 seconds, switch Paradigms and you get a full ATB bar ready to go. Basically wait for a full ATB bar ---> attack ---> wait for three actions to queue up ---> Paradigm shift ---> full ATB bar. Rinse and repeat. It allows you to basically never stop attacking, with only brief pauses in between rather than waiting for full ATB bars over and over.

However I think it may not work this early since you likely only have 3 ATB segments anyway, but you'll be getting more soon.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Mordiceius posted:

My thoughts on FF13: If you have a SAB and/or SYN in the party, why aren't you using them? Their buffs/debuffs help more than you think. When you finally have a 3-man party, if you're not starting your fights with the Evened Odds paradigm, I don't know what's wrong with you, son.

Its what carries you through the game and its why its depressing Sazh is so poo poo stat-wise. He gets Haste/Bravery first so he's great through Barthandalus but then he falls off a cliff because he has worse stats than Hope and hope has protect which you basically must have from then on.

Sazh, you should have gotten a spinoff RPG where each quest was 30 minutes long (except the season finale) and you got to wrap it up to the sounds of the laugh track.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Barudak posted:

Its what carries you through the game and its why its depressing Sazh is so poo poo stat-wise. He gets Haste/Bravery first so he's great through Barthandalus but then he falls off a cliff because he has worse stats than Hope and hope has protect which you basically must have from then on.

Sazh, you should have gotten a spinoff RPG where each quest was 30 minutes long (except the season finale) and you got to wrap it up to the sounds of the laugh track.

I've said once I'll say it again. FF 13-2 should have been teenage Dajh leading Snow JR around saving the timeline while getting hints from his dad via old memories of him.

Veks
May 12, 2012

OOOOOOH MYYY GOOOOOOOOOOOOD

Barudak posted:

Sazh's stats depend A LOT on his weapons, as they have the biggest stat boosts in comparison to other characters' weapons. They also tend to have good abilities (like Stagger Maintenance for longer staggers and Augment Maintenance for longer offensive buffs).

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Barudak posted:

I don't know. I did basically no grinding and only used Sazh and Vanille with Fang leading from the minute that you could. You just have to focus on all out damage as a tactic rather than defence. There were a few battles I had to do a couple of times, but certainly nothing particularly difficult and I certainly never felt I lacked anything with that party.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Yeah, the problem of course being that in a game with limited cash and obtuse as hell upgrading you're not likely to deduce that or which of his weapons is actually good much less be able to dump hundreds of thousands of gil into him when other characters can coast just fine on their basic gear.

Seriously; the weapon upgrading all leading to the same ultimate weapon was a neat idea but literally every other aspect of it was terrible. Just abysmally terrible.

Edit: Sazh is my man until the Box-Bots/Phalanx Bots where I've twice now basically needed protect and he doesn't have it yet. After you get some cash money Sazh goes right back in because, really? Forget Hope.

Barudak fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Sep 24, 2013

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Barudak posted:

Yeah, the problem of course being that in a game with limited cash and obtuse as hell upgrading you're not likely to deduce that or which of his weapons is actually good much less be able to dump hundreds of thousands of gil into him when other characters can coast just fine on their basic gear.

Seriously; the weapon upgrading all leading to the same ultimate weapon was a neat idea but literally every other aspect of it was terrible. Just abysmally terrible.

Especially when each character has more than one weapon that's just absolutely trash for them and is essentially a huge trap that just drains all your time and cash.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Especially when each character has more than one weapon that's just absolutely trash for them and is essentially a huge trap that just drains all your time and cash.

When I first got the game I thought "neat, each character will get one weapon for each role and going into endgame you'll pick which role you want as their best one and equip them weapons fitting it." No, no no. Instead you get several weapons which are just terrible, terrible traps and have other characters who have two real choices to make with each one requiring collossal monetary and time investments to get going. Even better you have no way to predict what the final stats and distribution of each weapon will be unless you painstakingly save and reload after crafting each one.

Its really, really boneheaded and actively more difficult to design than other options.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Is there a problem with the store in FF All The Bravest? I downloaded it since it was free and haven't been able to even browse the in game shop since i got it three days ago. Just gives me the "please restart game" error every time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene
Once you put time into Sazh's weapons, him + Cold Blood = absolute destruction.