Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
We're actually going back to make me more sick after Fantasmic because my wife knew after 10 seconds she sucked at up/down pilot and wants me to do it instead.

I've eaten 2 bowls of gumbo and a trio of beignets in preparation.

Edit: the special "Haunted Mansion" beignets are an incredible ripoff. $2 for a tiny amount of honey in addition to the regular Mickey beignets.

Beachcomber fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Aug 21, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Glad I decided to skip those beignets. The Midnight julep was pretty good.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Oh my loving God Cosmo!

He's my favourite Marvel cosmic character!

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!

:kimchi::cheerdoge::kimchi:

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005
Jesus Christ the Star Wars hotel pricing is out. Wow.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

J33uk posted:

Jesus Christ the Star Wars hotel pricing is out. Wow.

I wasn't shocked at the price tag. It's like a 3 day cruise on land, but you're in a heavily themed Star Wars environment. I predict they have no problem with booking.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
You can't just say that and not drop the deets! Not official, just rumors according to the site I found:

quote:

Now that we’ve seen concept art for the immersive “space capsule” guest transportation system and guest cabins, as well as a potential dinner show restaurant built aboard the Chandrila Star Line, forking over the credits to stay here is becoming less and less of an issue and more of an epic financial goal for many travelers. But how much will it actually cost?

According to sources, pricing for the Star Wars hotel will be based around the full 2-night/3-day experience rather than per night (you know, like a cruise, but in space). If you’re going to stay here, it will be a time commitment as well as a financial one, as shorter one-night stays will not be allowed. Much like on the Disney Cruise Line, food, select beverages, and entertainment will also be included as part of the experience.

Cabin for one? Pricing for a 2-night/3-day stay starts at $3,300 for one person, or just over $1,000 per person, per day. Cabins do sleep up to five passengers, so there’s also the option of maxing out the cabin occupancy for a relatively cheaper price per person. A cabin with five passengers would cost $7,200, or roughly $1,440 per person, for a more feasible $480 per person, per day price range

Do note that these prices can change as the hotel is still months, if not years away from opening, and Disney Parks and Resorts might scale these prices up or down based on a combination of demand and occupancy projections. However, these numbers are the current ones being thrown around in discussions regarding the resort.

so it's actually a resort experience and not just a hotel

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

It sounds like once you check in, you're there. You won't be skipping out for a couple hours to do something else. A closed system if you will.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Yeah, that's basically in line with a premium cruise experience. I'll be interested to see how much they can tack on in the way of add-ons. I'm in at that price point though

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005
It better be a pretty exceptional few days at that price. Also select beverages included? They should be drowning me in *Corellian Crunk Juice* at that price.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

J33uk posted:

It better be a pretty exceptional few days at that price. Also select beverages included? They should be drowning me in *Corellian Crunk Juice* at that price.
Yeah, this seems to be quite a bit more than any cruise I've ever priced.

By contrast, a mid-level stateroom on the JoCoCruise, an 8-day/7-night "premium" geek cruise, is around $5,000 for two guests.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
When will I get my Star Trek Enterprise-D themed hotel? :(

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Silly Burrito posted:

Right after I read the pricing article, I sent the link to my wife. She agreed that it's way too expensive for us, but also said that as soon as there's a Star Trek version, we're loving there.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

WhiteHowler posted:

Right after I read the pricing article, I sent the link to my wife. She agreed that it's way too expensive for us, but also said that as soon as there's a Star Trek version, we're loving there.

:hfive:

Make it so!

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Silly Burrito posted:

They had plans in Vegas to build a scale Ent-D hotel after the Experience closed but the economy tanked and it got shelved.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

WhiteHowler posted:

Yeah, this seems to be quite a bit more than any cruise I've ever priced.

By contrast, a mid-level stateroom on the JoCoCruise, an 8-day/7-night "premium" geek cruise, is around $5,000 for two guests.

You ever priced a Disney cruise? They're stupid expensive, but by all accounts are one of the best large boat cruise experiences available.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

skipdogg posted:

You ever priced a Disney cruise? They're stupid expensive, but by all accounts are one of the best large boat cruise experiences available.
A verandah room for two adults on a 7-night Caribbean cruse aboard the Disney Fantasy falls in the $4,000-4,500 range. Or about $310 per person per night (again, for two - occupancy rates don't scale linearly on cruises, but I assume they won't for the Star Wars resort either).

So about in line with other premium/themed cruises.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Geeeeet dunked on Kylo

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
I found this silly one

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Couple other things about the lightsabers since I'm a huge nerd about them, in case anyone else is considering the Savi's Workshop experience.

They're a little bit thicker and bulkier than the replicas, but the metal pieces seem sturdy and great quality. Rumor has it you can buy individual components for $20 a pop and mix-and-match the four different hilt styles, but I don't know how true that is.

Switching the Kyber crystals is a wonderful little feature, and they actually start humming and glowing the first time you put in a new one. The colors offered in the Workshop for your initial build are red, blue, green, and purple. You can buy yellow at Dok-Andar's Den of Antiquities I mentioned, and I think I saw white too. Another neat feature is that different colored crystals create different ignition and activation sounds.

The Den of Antiquities also has replica hilts available for purchase of all the movie lightsabers, plus hilts for Temple Guards and Asajj Ventress. I saw some people walking out with just the poly plastic blades, which I presume you can add on to make the legacy sabers functional. I'd have loved to stay and chat more with the merchants about how all that worked, but oh well. EDIT: wdwnt has a list of all the items

The sound quality and brightness are both better than the newer park-exclusive sabers, and are more on par with the original Master Replicas ForceFX products. Pictured below are, left to right, my D23/park-exclusive Rey lightsaber, my Savi's saber, and my Master Replicas Anakin saber from 15 years ago.

And with the purple crystal:

I love lightsabers, and I might be the only one who cares about this stuff, but it's all stuff I would've liked to know before I headed in. Let me know if there's anything else I can share.

chitoryu12 posted:

Geeeeet dunked on Kylo
:laffo: I could never get transmissions or live location to work. I don't know if they were still toying with it or what, but that's fantastic. You could easily spend several hours in Galaxy's Edge just doing Datapad missions.

Hazo fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Aug 21, 2019

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
What type of batteries do the sabers take? I've seen a few breakdown videos and not one mentions a battery compartment

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

3x AAA batteries.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Before I start my review, I found that Disney posted their official guidelines for what level of "costume" is not allowed at Galaxy's Edge. As long as you're not in a robe, full suit, mask/face paint, or have any hard items like armor or helmets you're probably free to go. They even encourage dressing in the same style as the Batuuan cast members, so go hog wild making whatever moisture farmer outfit you want!

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I think the story of Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge is the story of whether or not you can truly immerse yourself. On the surface, it's currently a single ride and a few interactive elements. You would think this would put it below Pandora or even Toy Story in terms of entertainment value if you're only basing it on the value of the rides and what you directly pay money for (like food). But as an actor and director who's worked in interactive theatre and regularly engages in roleplaying for entertainment, I think the value is in the sum of its parts.

When you first enter Batuu from the left side (where Rise of the Resistance is, and where the Hollywood Studios preview entrance is), it's unusually subdued. Instead of a huge crowd rushing to the Millennium Falcon within seconds like opening day at Disneyland, you enter a surprisingly quiet rural area with very little immediately in view. But the transition through the tunnel cuts off any sound from the outside Hollywood Studios and lets you really listen to the environment around you. The sound design is key, as I'll explain later, and there's subtle noises of wildlife around. Eventually you get to the life-size A-Wing and X-Wing, which occasionally begin a start-up sequence (often thanks to guest interference!) with complex layered noise and lots of subwoofer bass that you keep experiencing here. Again, it becomes important.

The first time it really hits you is going up the stairs into the marketplace. There's just layers upon layers of sound from all directions. Shopkeepers haggling, animals, machinery, occasional ships passing overhead, all mixed in with the real sounds of the people around you. Every corner is filled with more detail and props than some attractions have in their entire queue lines. It's a moment that really gets you feeling like there's going to be something special here, especially since this might be the first place you see someone drinking from a spherical red industrial bottle with Aurebesh script on it like it's the most normal thing in the world.

You pass through Ronto Roasters next, maybe getting a wrap. It's not as immediately entrancing as the marketplace, but you've still got the familiar podracer engine sounds and flags on the walls. Even without being told that the owner is a podracing fanatic, someone who's familiar enough with Star Wars will get it.

When it finally hits you is leaving Ronto Roasters, because that's the steps down to the Millennium Falcon. A full scale Falcon, just as detailed as the movie setpiece, sitting there. There's no partial construction with hidden scaffolding on the other side. It's a straight up Millenium Falcon, one that you'll get a chance to see from every angle before you board it. That is the moment you realize how much has been put into this, and the scale of the experience as a whole. Some of the best sound design is here as well: they occasionally have a "ship flying overhead", represented by playing it from one speaker to another across the spaceport with as much bass as they can force out of the speakers. The rumble is so authentic that I kept finding myself instinctively looking up for something overhead.

I did Smuggler's Run three times, twice as a gunner and once as an engineer. The gunner controls are indeed more awkward than a joystick would be but I actually didn't have much problem with it by just resting my hand on the buttons, one finger on each.

I was surprised by just how much interaction you get, especially after Mission: Space where everyone just presses two buttons and all the switches are fake. Even non-functional switches and buttons get you beeps so you can play around and add to the other guests' immersion, but at various points each crewmember has additional buttons and switches flashing. Everyone needs to hit a main button to start up their console when they sit down, which gives the feeling of the cockpit coming to life around you. The engineers need to assist in the start-up sequence when you first take off (and actually get docked credits for failing!), but there's also a point when the Falcon crashes where everyone is hitting lit-up buttons to get it up and running. There's no better way to immerse the audience than by getting everyone around you working at it, which means the whole drat crew spends the ride flailing at controls to keep the thing in the air and functioning. The cockpit is a full motion simulator and the pilots are in control, so with bad pilots the engineer often ends up hanging on with one hand while struggling to slap a control panel with their other. Which, honestly, is exactly as it should be.

I also didn't know there's an event in the Falcon cargo hold, where you wait to board, where the power goes haywire and a guest needs to run and hit a flashing red button to reset the system. It's awesome but only happens every 5 or 10 minutes, so I didn't even get it the first time.

I tried a few food items, though I'm not getting into Oga's until next week. Fried Endorian tip-yip is okay, though I'd prefer more seasoning and bold flavors. The Oi-Oi Puff is a raspberry pastry, so go for it if you like really sweet, fruity pastries. I found the Ronto Wrap to actually be worth its price, as it's a lot bigger in person than in pictures and will easily suffice as a meal unless you're a big eater (responsibly or otherwise). The only drink I've tried is the Gold Squadron Lager made by Blue Point Brewing Company. They definitely leaned into the idea of making a more alien drink, as it's got a unique spicy and flora (think violets) hop flavor that dominates. My mom smuggled some of Oga's snacks out in her Mouse Droid popcorn bucket for me to try and they're probably the most authentically alien of the bunch, like paper-thin slices of some root vegetable fried until translucent and chunks of what resemble dehydrated chocolate astronaut ice cream, but somewhat harder. The sweet and spicy popcorn is best if you eat a handful at a time to mix the flavors. Blue Milk has an odd texture like a smoothie surrounded by cream, which makes it hard to drink with or without a straw, but it's legitimately really tasty and fruity. They don't seem to put enough rum in it to make it worth the extra cost unless you're a lightweight, though.

Along with the roaming characters like Rey (it's more shocking than you expect to see a major face character just round a corner in front of you and start chatting instead of them having a handler going to and from a photo spot), the cast members have clearly been encouraged to immerse themselves and roleplay and a lot of them have taken it to heart. You get charged "16.59 credits", receive a "cargo slip" instead of a receipt at the Docking Bay for your food, and are asked for "identification credentials" when carded for a drink. Some of them would hold in-character conversations, like the guy chasing after a coworker telling her that she's not starting an underground podracing circuit, or the one looking at crates who reacted with surprise at the sound of a TIE Fighter passing overhead and commented on it to another one. Even in the 105 degree heat, a lot of them were enjoying themselves way more than other cast members.

The Datapad game on the Disney Play app is a major source of entertainment when you can't think of anything else to do, too. The hacking minigames are just hard enough to provide a bit of challenge without being insurmountable by a kid, with hackable objects and comm towers having unique minigames. They take the bold move of not giving instructions for passing them while keeping them simple enough that you can figure out what to do on your own, which I appreciate. There's dozens of items, transcripts, and communications you can find and collect on your profile. You can use it to translate the Aurebesh, and even pick up on sound clips of alien language overheard around you to translate it. Every single piece of Aurebesh script is legitimate flavor text, so becoming familiar with the alphabet will make this translator redundant.

The moment that clinched the scale of the game for me was getting a job to scan crates to find a jetpack for a customer. I get the location of the crates and figure it's a simple thing of finding the one crate in a pile with a decal on it and scanning it. Instead, the whole loving pile of crates is scannable. I had to go through every one to find the jetpack, solving puzzles to create decryption keys and collecting other items for my stash along the way. You also find isolated crates sitting around all over the place, which encourages you to really explore the nooks and crannies.

Overall, what I think Galaxy's Edge provides the most is potential. While they may be out of room to expand the land further without taking out more parking lot or rerouting a major road, there's so much that can be added and I think they made it that way. Hondo's explanation of the mission on Smuggler's Run and his in-flight dialogue is done entirely in voiceover with images on the screen, so you could just grab Jim Cummings to record without needing to put an actor back in makeup to film, and the ride is literally a video game running on nVidia graphics cards so creating new missions should be about the same level of difficulty as creating more content for a regular game. Putting more actors, roaming droids, or the rumored drones is trivial with the space and budget they have.

I know for a fact that what we're seeing now with Galaxy's Edge, and even what we have after Rise of the Resistance opens, is only the start of what Disney is going to do with it. Nothing at Disney remains static, and Batuu is probably the place where they can do the most.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

High five to all of that, look forward to hanging out with some of you folks at Ogas in the future.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
When we rode Smuggler's Run the third time. I discovered that as long as I'm controlling the up/down I don't get motion sick. And then I immediately recalled learning the same thing at Pandora last year.

World of Color is still one of the best Disney shows.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Does millennium falcon seem like a video game or like a ride? Honestly reading impressions it makes me think it’s just a sophisticated Alien Encounter from Disney Quest. I know it’s wrong but that’s what it seems like to someone who hasn’t encountered it.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Goddamn. I've been trying to avoid 'spoilers' for Galaxy's Edge, but I couldn't help myself and I read all your posts. Thanks for the lightsaber chat above. I was curious about the differences between the customs and the replicas. Question: Are the customs plastic or metal? Same for the replicas.

Another question: Can you actually touch the full scale ships like the X-Wing I've seen pictures of. That would certainly tickle parts of my nerd brain.

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."
gently caress yes, I can’t wait for next Saturday. Wish I had enough vacay that I could have popped down for AP preview but alas. Finally visiting HP/UOR and hitting GE in the same vacay - this next week is going to be insane.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Empress Brosephine posted:

Does millennium falcon seem like a video game or like a ride? Honestly reading impressions it makes me think it’s just a sophisticated Alien Encounter from Disney Quest. I know it’s wrong but that’s what it seems like to someone who hasn’t encountered it.

It’s a little bit video game and ride. I was in the single rider like at DLR for my second time on the ride yesterday and the person behind me was asking what kinda ride it was. I reductively said “Star Tours, but you push buttons.

You always get put to engineer from single rider, but man the feeling of having to slam on the buttons as fast as possible because the ship’s failing or whatever is real.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Aside from the single rider/engineer thing, is the position you get just luck of the draw? Is there any way to increase your odds or guarantee you'll get pilot? Which position pushes the lever to make the jump to light speed (I assume this is a thing). That's what I want to do. I want to punch it.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

Jose Oquendo posted:

Goddamn. I've been trying to avoid 'spoilers' for Galaxy's Edge, but I couldn't help myself and I read all your posts. Thanks for the lightsaber chat above. I was curious about the differences between the customs and the replicas. Question: Are the customs plastic or metal? Same for the replicas.

Another question: Can you actually touch the full scale ships like the X-Wing I've seen pictures of. That would certainly tickle parts of my nerd brain.

All the lightsabers sold in Galaxy's Edge are fairly solid metal pieces. The custom ones are bulkier than the replica "Legacy" sabers, due to the way they are designed to be put together, but I've held both styles and they are legit heavy.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Jose Oquendo posted:

Aside from the single rider/engineer thing, is the position you get just luck of the draw? Is there any way to increase your odds or guarantee you'll get pilot? Which position pushes the lever to make the jump to light speed (I assume this is a thing). That's what I want to do. I want to punch it.

Pilot is what you want.

The assignments always go Pilot, Gunner, Engineer based on your position in line. Singles fill in the empty spaces which are usually Engineer but could be something else depending on what the rest of your crew wanted. You can trade if people are willing. One time on Saturday I walked up single, got assigned Gunner and then the guy in front of me asked to trade to his Pilot because he wanted Gunner.

There were some people asking to wait for pilot but there really isn't space to have a lot of people waiting and the request seemed to annoy the cast members.

Zero One fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Aug 22, 2019

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Thanks for the info! One more question. Excluding time waiting in line for stuff, how long does it take to really explore Galaxy's Edge? How long does the whole thing at Savi's take? I'm almost at the point where I can start making reservations for things so I need to start coming up with an itinerary.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
That is so hard to say. I was there from 11a-5p and felt I could have stayed longer.

Oga's has a 45 min limit. Not sure on the Lightsaber or Droid store times.
Looking at all the other stores will take an hour or two if that is your thing.
Milk stand was pretty quick, as was lunch at the Docking bay.
If you want to do all the Datapad games that will take a while.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Right pilot specifically pulls the lever to jump to lightspeed. Left pilot gets to hit the brakes when chasing the train.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Phenomal review, chitoryu. Sounds like we had very similar experiences.

chitoryu12 posted:

That is the moment you realize how much has been put into this, and the scale of the experience as a whole. Some of the best sound design is here as well: they occasionally have a "ship flying overhead", represented by playing it from one speaker to another across the spaceport with as much bass as they can force out of the speakers. The rumble is so authentic that I kept finding myself instinctively looking up for something overhead.

I forgot to mention this. It seems like a minor thing but it adds so much to the park (I'm calling it a park because we both found ourselves forgetting that Gertie, Indiana Jones, and Steven Tyler were lurking just a half mile away). I giggled with glee every time a TIE Fighter flew overhead. The Falcon also periodically does a thing where it dramatically powers up its engines with the volume and pitch rising over several minutes, only to, of course, suddenly falter with the Empire Strikes Back "hyperdrive is broken" sound.

chitoryu12 posted:

Along with the roaming characters like Rey (it's more shocking than you expect to see a major face character just round a corner in front of you and start chatting instead of them having a handler going to and from a photo spot), the cast members have clearly been encouraged to immerse themselves and roleplay and a lot of them have taken it to heart. You get charged "16.59 credits", receive a "cargo slip" instead of a receipt at the Docking Bay for your food, and are asked for "identification credentials" when carded for a drink. Some of them would hold in-character conversations, like the guy chasing after a coworker telling her that she's not starting an underground podracing circuit, or the one looking at crates who reacted with surprise at the sound of a TIE Fighter passing overhead and commented on it to another one. Even in the 105 degree heat, a lot of them were enjoying themselves way more than other cast members.
I loved this too. Everybody is so into it. The lightsaber sheath slung on my back was referred to variously by cast members as a "walking stick" or an "antenna." The checkout clerk at Dok-Ondar's told me slyly that he knew I'd been to Savi's and thanked me for carrying on the tradition of building "beautiful scrap metal creations." He then asked me for my "yellow-class credential" and before I could process what he meant, he whispered "your passholder card."

One guy by the Falcon offered to trade me a Lego piece for my "walking stick" and without thinking I told him to try taking it to Disney Springs. He immediately gave me a thoroughly convincing blank stare and said he had no idea what that was since he'd never been offplanet. Before it got cloudy I was wearing my Goofy hat and the blue milk merchant asked my kind of alien was on my head. It was all great fun and you get into it the longer you're there. I found myself instinctively saying "bright suns" back to cast members who greeted me in passing.

chitoryu12 posted:

Hondo's explanation of the mission on Smuggler's Run and his in-flight dialogue is done entirely in voiceover with images on the screen, so you could just grab Jim Cummings to record without needing to put an actor back in makeup to film, and the ride is literally a video game running on nVidia graphics cards so creating new missions should be about the same level of difficulty as creating more content for a regular game.
I'm not entirely convinced that WASN'T Jim in the live action segments.

Jose Oquendo posted:

As said above, the lightsabers are metal and fairly good quality. They're a little hefty, but not comically huge like the plastic ones you'd find in the toy aisle.

Sadly, you can't touch the ships. The A-Wing is behind a wall of crates, and the X-Wing and FO Hauler are on elevated platforms.

Jose Oquendo posted:

The CM gives you passes two-by-two for pilot/gunner/engineer before you get to mingle with other waiting riders in the Falcon's living area with the loose cables and Dejarik board. The ride uses the same color-coded boarding sequence as the Jimmy Fallon ride at Universal. You wait until they call the color of your pass (they just shouted it when I was there, but I hope/expect they'll find a new way to do it because it seems horribly inefficient) then rejoin your crew at one of the exits to the ride pods for one last video before you go into the cockpit. It is luck of the draw for crew assignments, but you're encouraged to barter with your fellow crewmates if you don't like your spot. I don't know how receptive people are to that, though, since we were lucky enough to get different assignments each time.

Tragically, pulling the lightspeed levers is NOT a thing. The big four silver hyperspace levers that are instantly recognizable to any Star Wars fan are present, but they're stuck in place. The right (up and down) pilot jumps to lightspeed by smashing a blinking button. I actually missed the jump because I totally ignored the button and started frantically pulling on the levers.

Jose Oquendo posted:

Thanks for the info! One more question. Excluding time waiting in line for stuff, how long does it take to really explore Galaxy's Edge? How long does the whole thing at Savi's take? I'm almost at the point where I can start making reservations for things so I need to start coming up with an itinerary.
I was a little overwhelmed, but I feel like Savi's took maybe 15 minutes once you got inside. As I said, they really hustle you along.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Lightspeed was one of the levers when I was pilot. The right most one.

It was the most satisfying thing to pull it.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Zero One posted:

Lightspeed was one of the levers when I was pilot. The right most one.

It was the most satisfying thing to pull it.

Ditto. It has a nice weight to it so you feel like you're doing something.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Empress Brosephine posted:

It's the most "video game" of any attraction since Alien Encounter. You earn credits (points) based on your performance, with gunners also losing points for poor accuracy; they get a point boost for using manual targeting, but it's also really hard because of the buttons rather than a joystick. The ship is partially on rails in the sense that it takes the correct path but the pilots need to coordinate to dodge obstacles and turn into curves; when you need to get behind the train, you actually need to get behind the train. Engineer hits buttons as they light up when the ship is damaged, with only a few seconds to complete the sequence to avoid losing points.

Because it's a motion simulator, the skill of your pilots greatly affects the ease of everyone else's jobs. It can be hard to hit the right buttons as engineer when you're slamming into everything. From watching the nVidia convention test footage last year, the ship really is a physical model in a streamed environment that could theoretically be free flown by the developers; everything about it seems like it's a legit video game built in a game engine rather than anything pre-rendered, they just have the ship mostly pilot itself to keep things on track. They even have a working physics engine according to that convention preview, so it shouldn't be too hard to create new missions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Thank you all so much for all the info in here about Galaxy's Edge. It's hard to find that line between 'not being spoilered' and 'knowing what's there so I can have a good experience.'

I have to keep that inner fanboy in check but as I'm reading all these posts and as my trip gets closer, I'm sitting here grinning reading all these details.