Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

wayfinder posted:

https://i.imgur.com/lyFB18P.webm

Yup let me just change a tire in the center lane of the highway real quick

edit: What the hell man I had a warning sign put up like 30 ft in front of the car??

edit 2: Well it was my jacket and sweater but still

Holy poo poo how loving stupid do you have to be? :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Uthor posted:

My driver's ed teacher had a simple solution: stop at the atop line, make sure no one is in the crosswalk, pull forward until you can see, then proceed as normal. DON'T just drive into the crosswalk and risk hitting pedestrians.

This. I'm talking about people who just plow by the limit line.
I live in an urban area with lots of street parking, I have to creep a bit too.

A lot of these people also almost hit me in the bike lane, but even driving always an "oh poo poo is that guy going to pull in front of me?" panic moment.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Uthor posted:

My driver's ed teacher had a simple solution: stop at the atop line, make sure no one is in the crosswalk, pull forward until you can see, then proceed as normal. DON'T just drive into the crosswalk and risk hitting pedestrians.

That's what the law is here. You stop at the stop line, and then proceed if the crosswalk is clear, until you can see adequately to do whatever you were planning on doing.

This can lead to problems on long lights where you pull into the crosswalk and heavy traffic means you can't, for example, turn right on red for a while and then you're blocking the crosswalk when a pedestrian gets to the intersection, but that's a minor issue. If that happens, I'm always more than happy as a pedestrian to step a few feet out of my way and walk behind the car. If I wasn't near the crosswalk when the car entered it, they're hardly responsible for heavy traffic keeping them there.

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.

Uthor posted:

Hallelujah. I do that at stop signs too because cyclists love the roads off my neighborhood and I see them get really close to being t-boned pretty frequently. It's pretty surprising how few people do this.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

Holy poo poo how loving stupid do you have to be? :psyduck:

I'm amazed at the driver's almost successful avoidance maneuver but then something happens and he jerks the wheel right back in to the car. Was that hyper-overcorrection thinking they were going too far to the right? Or maybe they thought they were swerving in to another car and freaked out? I don't get it.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

My best guess is they caught a glimpse of the camera car and tried to abort, not sure they'd clear the gap.

Or target fixation, or they have never done a rapid lane change like that and overcompensated to straighten out.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:

The Locator posted:

The problem with making the arms mandatory at *all* crossings, is that it would cost a ridiculous amount of money, as there are probably millions of level crossings in the US alone out in nowhereseville, and even if it was mandated, I doubt that the railroads have the ability to come up with the amount of money required

Oh no, those poor billion-dollar corporations, having to shell out for proper safety equipment instead of just putting down a stop sign they know everyone will ignore and going "lolnotourproblem"

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:

LloydDobler posted:

I'm amazed at the driver's almost successful avoidance maneuver but then something happens and he jerks the wheel right back in to the car. Was that hyper-overcorrection thinking they were going too far to the right? Or maybe they thought they were swerving in to another car and freaked out? I don't get it.

Trying to brake hard and violently shifting weight to the rf maybe? Looks like the rear end is light and breaking loose just before the impact.

e: I cant see if the brake lights come on at any point in the clip.

dee eight fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Apr 28, 2016

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

dee eight posted:

e: I cant see if the brake lights come on at any point in the clip.
It looks like they come on just after passing the camera car, so he seems to have intentionally decided to try overtaking the cam car before avoiding the guy parked in the middle of the highway rather than going behind the camera car and then overtaking :cripes:

e: although we don't know what was behind cam car so there's that, but he still had a whole other lane on the left too

Icedude fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Apr 28, 2016

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:
Looks like the guy was on his brakes hard while making the avoidance move. The weight shift changes handling characteristics and the driver loses it.

Brakes are not always your friend in a panic situation.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Yeah, braking is the worst possible move to do when doing an emergency maneuver like that. Just watch all those winter crashes compilations. The one thing almost all of them has in common is that the driver feel the grip go and brake which sends the car into a spin. Brake then turn.

However, how you can think changing a tire in the middle lane is even close to acceptable is just mind-boggling. Should lose their license for that to be honest.

Killstick
Jan 17, 2010
These are the people who get hit by trains: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jcFOp-6f70&t=410s

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

Killstick posted:

These are the people who get hit by trains: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jcFOp-6f70&t=410s

I binge watched all these last year, it's incredible. There really needs to be a US version.

Killstick
Jan 17, 2010

Sudo Echo posted:

I binge watched all these last year, it's incredible. There really needs to be a US version.

There is a US version, it's poo poo. Don't bother watching it.

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012

dee eight posted:

Looks like the guy was on his brakes hard while making the avoidance move. The weight shift changes handling characteristics and the driver loses it.

Yeah, it was this, I'll bet. He overtakes, clocks that the guy in front is getting bigger way faster than he should be, stamps on the brakes, makes the right turn, overcorrects, spins.

As a fairly new driver, I nearly did this, on an overtake on a standard two lane road. I didn't need to make a rapid lane-change—there was plenty of room—but for some reason I jerked the wheel as I was getting back into my own lane. Car wallowed like it was at loving sea (big estate Rover75, at the time), and I caught myself just in time with my foot about a nanometre above the brake pedal. If I'd hit the brakes to try and assist the stability, it would have all gone very rapidly to poo poo at 70mph. It's weirdly easy to do; as soon as you start feeling jerky lateral G from rapid shifts in direction, there's an instinct to hit the brakes to 'get things under control'.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Killstick posted:

Yeah, watching a bunch of people from Utah learn how to drive is awful. :v:

Killstick
Jan 17, 2010
The major problem with the US show is that there's no learning going on, it's more like a freakshow of bad drivers and in the end they point at one who was worse then the others. It's structured more like a game show then the "educational" show that is the Canadian version. The Canadian version is trying to make these people better drivers, the US show just wants to laugh at them. And i find that a much more boring concept. In addition to that the US challenges feel very second rate.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Killstick posted:

I think Canada's Worst Driver was around season 4 when I saw one episode of the U.S. show. I guess they thought they were improving it by making it an mtv-style garbage game show, but the original just works so much better. The only guy posting them on youtube back then was a guy named werevirus, who recently switched to only posting preview clips on youtube then redirecting people to a domain he started that serves up pop-up ads and hosts the earlier seasons on some horribly unreliable video on demand site.

Andrew Younghusband the host is working on a new series called How Hard Can It Be which seems to be him attempting random feats. I still haven't seen his last series Don't Drive Here where he reviews driving around overpopulated third world countries.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Killstick posted:

That woman who was scared to drive because she got rear ended in a pileup needs therapy, not a loving reality show.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

dee eight posted:

Yep. The right thing to do once you feel the rear start to slide is to get back on the gas which will stabilize the rear and let you steer out of the slide. It goes totally against most people's instincts though, which is why they go for the brakes instead and spin spectacularly.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009
Two-lane major N/S thoroughfare with a protected left turn lane (which is also signed as "yield to oncoming traffic if the arrow isn't lit you fuckheads"), crossing a level E/W major thoroughfare. First car in the turn lane sees how stale the yellow arrow is, starts braking and stops as it turns red. (It'll turn off when the regular light goes green, thus the signage.)

Idaho dumbshit was accelerating to beat/run the light, obviously has to brake because there's a car in front. *Does not* come to a stop... rolls almost into the stopped car, makes a left up and over the concrete divider :stare: , drives about 30 feet in oncoming lanes with traffic starting forward :catstare: and finally makes his vitally-important left - just as the red arrow blinks out and allows left turning when traffic is clear. :downs:

Both the intial stopped car and I made our turns maybe 20 seconds after the :banjo: exhibition. (I was really hoping for an oil-pan removal, but I guess his shitbox sedan had just enough clearance to not take it off - did leave a big scrape mark all the way across the divider, though.)

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT
Sometimes I wish people jaywalking or running blindly across streets or parking lots from between cars could be run over with the excuse of "justifiable homicide". I was just coming back from lunch into my work parking lot and some jackhole lady bolts from between 2 parked cars, without looking, dead across my path. Thank goodness I wasn't going fast and had time to brake and horn - yet I get the middle finger. gently caress it, next time you're getting hit you stupid oval office, consequences be damned.

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

go outside and have a blast
http://jalopnik.com/why-did-this-cop-brake-check-a-driver-1773612956

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPCX8rVPxvo

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I've never seen someone changing a tire in the middle lane but I did see a really helpless idiot standing in front of their car (the worst spot) in the left lane of i90 with a flat tire, on their cellphone. With traffic whizzing by at 80 and a car making a panic move to avoid pancaking their shitmobile and them every 30 seconds. I actually called the mass state police emergency line for that one.

Ozz81 posted:

"I don't know you, but pretty soon the worms will"

At least with the crossings, make it mandatory that they ALL have arms, regardless of visibility. Anyone trying to drive around them deserves whatever gruesome injury or painful death is headed their way, only people I feel bad for are the ones on the train and unlucky passengers in the idiot's vehicle (unless said passengers encouraged the driver, in which case gently caress them)

Javid posted:

Oh no, those poor billion-dollar corporations, having to shell out for proper safety equipment instead of just putting down a stop sign they know everyone will ignore and going "lolnotourproblem"
Oh come on, both of you. You know how many dinky little dirt roads cross tracks through farmland in the Middle Of loving Nowhere? No way do those need a crossing guard of any sort. In some cases they need to put a crossing guard/arms up in some places where there aren't any right now, sure, but saying they should be forced to put one up at every tiny road in Bumfuck Egypt Oklahoma that sees 0.5 cars per hour (farmers who own both sides of the track driving a tractor over it from one field to another) and a train every 3 days most assuredly do not require $20k in equipment added. Also, there's this:

https://www.fra.dot.gov/Page/P0156 posted:

Collisions between highway vehicles and trains have been, until recently (1996), the greatest source of injuries and fatalities in the railroad industry. As a result of the Grade Crossing Action Plan, and the continuous research effort funded by the FRA, the number of fatalities and injuries at grade crossings has decreased by almost 40 percent within the decade (2001 – 2011) and has a slight increase in 2014.

Stupid people are killing themselves at railroad crossings 40% less than they were a decade ago because they're already upgrading stuff reasonably well.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

wayfinder posted:

https://i.imgur.com/lyFB18P.webm

Yup let me just change a tire in the center lane of the highway real quick

edit: What the hell man I had a warning sign put up like 30 ft in front of the car??

edit 2: Well it was my jacket and sweater but still

I almost witnessed this thing happen yesterday on the way home from work, except instead of a mostly empty highway and an idiot stopped in the middle of the highway for no reason, it was a packed highway and the guy who almost got hit was just stopped in traffic like everyone else around him, wihch happens every single weekday at that time at that spot. There's actually 5 lanes in that spot and this happened in the lane second from the left. I was in the very middle lane.

Far left lane: a line of stopped cars in front and behind me.
Lane to my left: directly to my left it's empty, but the last car in "line" is just a couple car lengths in front of me.
My lane: guy in front of me is just slowly idling forward, as am I.

Suddenly, to my left, I see a Yaris or something just come FLYING (though I was basically stopped so it probably seemed faster than it was) no brakes at all. Then, I assume he finally lifts his head from his phone and notices that, poo poo, there's cars stopped where there's always cars stopped. He slams on the brakes and jerks the wheel to the right and slides right between the car he almost obliterated and the car in front of me. I doubt there was more than a foot of room on either side of the Yaris when he avoided the accident.

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!

kastein posted:

I've never seen someone changing a tire in the middle lane...

I have unfortunately seen this on i93 North, just where it splits off to route 1/1A and Logan on the left. A man with a conversion van was at a dead stop, no triangle, nothing of the sort, in daytime traffic changing a tire in the center lane. Thankfully I was able to avoid him in time, though I did call the state troopers because that sort of behavior is a death wish.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Makes me glad I never drive into Boston itself, just around the outside on i95. Not that people are any saner on i95 and i90 west of the 95 tolls, that is.

Sometimes I really wonder what the emergency response plan is for someone cocking it up really bad in one of the tunnels and blocking the whole road. If that ever happens I think I'll just stay home from work.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Went to Walmart last night on my bike to pick up a few things. I flipped my right turn signal on at the top of a parking aisle to indicate I was taking a right, here. There was a car approaching from the opposite direction that had come to a stop as if they were about to also signal a turn.

Being not-retarded, I looked down the aisle before making my turn in and there was a ~60 year old woman walking up the center of the aisle so I stopped for a hot second and she scurried off to the opposite side with one of those smile-waves and I nodded at her and started to turn in.

Well, the sedan coming the other way took apparent offense to something, or was otherwise impatient/stupid/inbred/asleep and as I was about half way into the turn (So... what, 2/3 a second maybe? A total of maybe eight seconds since I signalled?) just flat out spun the wheel left and stomped the gas, the front outside tire chirped, and the woman in the lane shrieked and jumped toward me, away from the car, which proceeded to loving FLY down the aisle, and park crooked across four spots and just sit there while I asked the woman if she was okay/got clipped. Fortunately she got out of the way and was just shaken and wanted to go in and get her shopping done.

And being a reasonable, calm-headed person I quietly parked, shaking my head at the idiocy of the driver of the sedan So I blipped my throttle and pulled up next to the car's open passenger window, and with all the volume I could muster I yelled across the passenger, at the driver "ARE YOU loving RETARDED? WHAT THE gently caress DID YOU THINK WAS GOING TO HAPPEN THERE WITH SOMEONE IN THE AISLE AND ANOTHER VEHICLE ALREADY TURNING?"

She literally squeaked. "I'm sorry, it was an accident."

The four women in the car looked to be all related, likely a mother and three high school/college age daughters, all of them pushing an easy 300lbs of fat rolls and sagging skin. Well, in for a penny, in for a pound.

Me: You accidentally stomped the gas pedal?
Passenger: She said she was sorry.
Me: Oh, she's sorry? Would she be extra sorry if she just killed a woman?
Passenger: Yes
Driver: I'm sorry, it was an accident!
Me: No, an accident is unavoidable, that was negligence.
Passenger: Look, she said she was sorry.
Me: Sorry she almost killed a woman or me, yes.
Driver: I'm sorrrrrrrrrrrryyyyy (I think she started crying)
Me: Great, you're sorry, now go apologize to the woman you almost killed.

At this point they're all getting around to unbuckling and getting out of the car, still parked like they're in a brand new Ferrari they can't bear to have a ding in, not a ten year old Sebring.

The passenger, now under proper lighting and not in shadow, is very clearly a ~50 year old woman, probably the mother of the ~20ish driver. She tries to get in my face, despite standing about a foot shorter than me (and her gut wouldn't really allow being that close anyhow...) and repeats again "She said she was sorry. It was an accident."

Last thing I said before I dropped the clutch and took off to the other end of the parking lot (Out to the boonies, not the expectant mother parking. I needed to walk a few hundred feet and calm down) to park was "Yeah, I'm sure she was too."

I think I hit a nerve because when I got to the doors and looked back out into the parking lot the car was gone.

(I'm pretty sure everyone but the pedestrian qualifies for the thread here.)

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:

kastein posted:

Oh come on, both of you. You know how many dinky little dirt roads cross tracks through farmland in the Middle Of loving Nowhere? No way do those need a crossing guard of any sort. In some cases they need to put a crossing guard/arms up in some places where there aren't any right now, sure, but saying they should be forced to put one up at every tiny road in Bumfuck Egypt Oklahoma that sees 0.5 cars per hour (farmers who own both sides of the track driving a tractor over it from one field to another) and a train every 3 days most assuredly do not require $20k in equipment added.

Well, no. If a crossing gets almost zero traffic of any kind it probably doesn't need anything. But if it does get enough traffic to warrant any sort of warning, just slapping a stop sign in the middle of a 55 mph backroad and washing their hands of the issue - forcing every vehicle that drives through there during the 6 days, 23 hours, and 45 minutes a week a train ISN'T crossing to grind to a halt - is unacceptable. A static stop sign where there's almost never a reason to stop diminishes the significance of the sign and teaches drivers to ignore it and blow through, as well, so it's largely useless anyway.

People who actively maneuver around crossing guards and get creamed deserve to be removed from the gene pool, though.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

I've never seen a stop sign at a railroad crossing like you are describing, just warning signs and then the 'X' railroad signs at the crossing itself, maybe a sign that says something about checking for trains or whatever.

Hell, they have a fully gated crossing at the dead-end dirt road into a farm down the road from me, let alone paved crossings with lots of traffic, so it's not like they aren't actively trying to keep people from smearing themselves on the front of their trains.

Skinnymansbeerbelly
Apr 1, 2010
How about a Yield sign instead?

FuzzKill
Apr 1, 2005

Snuff the punk.
Since we're on train chat, a lot of the rural crossings you are talking about that would be uncontrolled probably don't have power easily accessible either. Then you need a genset, a tank, and someone to fill/refill said tank.

Deedle
Oct 17, 2011
before you ask, yes I did inform the DMV of my condition and medication, and I passed the medical and psychological evaluation when I got my license. I've passed them every time I have gone to renew my license.

FuzzKill posted:

Since we're on train chat, a lot of the rural crossings you are talking about that would be uncontrolled probably don't have power easily accessible either. Then you need a genset, a tank, and someone to fill/refill said tank.
Just stick a solar panel on a pole and put a deep cycle battery there.

Oh no, wait... People should act with a modicum of self-preservation and common sense.

When I was in boarding school in the early 90s, there was a railroad crossing about 10 minutes walk from the campus. An unguarded crossing in the middle of a trail through the woods. Just marked with the normal signs that mark a railroad crossing. The ICE to Germany didn't stop in that town, so those would just cruise right through there at 120-160kph.
Yet the teachers and counselors never had an issue allowing 10-12 year old kids to cross there, without adult supervision. None of us ever even got close to being maimed or killed.
If a 10 year old kid can do it, repeatedly, without fail. How loving hard can it possibly be?

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.
We have to put up physical barriers to protect the people who ignore signs!

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

I was driving (well, riding shotgun) on a backcountry road, when we saw a school bus stopped with red lights on. We stop, the traffic the other direction stopped, we're waiting ...

And a toddler wanders into the road from the opposite side the bus was on. Alone. I don't think the driver of the bus or the mother (who was getting her older child from the bus) noticed until they saw me jumping out of the car to grab the kid. Once I was about 20 feet from the kid, the mother wandered slowly back off the bus and picked him/her up.

As a father, I cannot imagine a reason I would ever leave a toddler alone near a road, even if I thought traffic was stopped.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

The Locator posted:

I've never seen a stop sign at a railroad crossing like you are describing, just warning signs and then the 'X' railroad signs at the crossing itself, maybe a sign that says something about checking for trains or whatever.

https://goo.gl/maps/DziLnYspzbz

If it loads the new imagery, go back to the 2009 version. Some time in 2010-2011 they put up gates.

The stop sign was pointless to begin with, the gates even more so. There's farm fields on both sides with plenty of visibility.

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/snapchat-speed-filter-motivated-car-crash-suit-article-1.2615208

:suicide:

Mariana Horchata fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Apr 29, 2016

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

And this is why every single car commercial has "closed course, professional driver" in small print every time their product is shown moving on a road.

Gotta limit that liability!

Serenade
Nov 5, 2011

"I should really learn to fucking read"
Although it's easy to paint executives and tech bubble types as out of touch,

The only people who would think of adding a feature that rewards speeding and using your phone and taking pictures at the same time must never actually drive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Darwin has failed us... or have we failed it