Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Any tips on killing fire salamanders? Remaining out of their line of fire seems like pure luck since they can do that weird thing where they spin around without moving their legs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Ariong posted:

Any tips on killing fire salamanders? Remaining out of their line of fire seems like pure luck since they can do that weird thing where they spin around without moving their legs.

The only thing worth a drat down there is the rebel's greatshield, which you can just sprint too. Killing those salamanders is not worth the effort at all.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Ariong posted:

Do it from a distance. They are really not designed to be fought head-on, they just shoot 3 fireballs over and over again with 100% tracking.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Alrighty then.

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

Ariong posted:

High damage range on the ground, or inexhaustible range from elsewhere. Don't try and melee them, and stay out of their range if you can.
Better yet, don't try to kill them at all. Only one that's worth it is the one blocking the cave if you don't have the iron key yet. Even then it's probably better to just get the key and sprint around them as much as possible.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

I think those salamanders might be the only reason the word "tongue" is part of the orange soapstone vocabulary, so we have that to be thankful for.

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down

Ariong posted:

For the normal ones, if you get right up next to them and just past the side of their face, they will keep turning to face you but their model geometry will keep turning you with them. Wait for them to swipe, get a few hits in, repeat.

For the ones that move around and jump, etc circling around seems to work fine. Just learn the tell for the tongue whip and roll past that, and otherwise wait for a lunge and hit them in the back afterwards.

Also, make sure to do a plunging attack on your way down into the pit. I'm sure most people know about that, but I came up with it on my own and it was really satisfying to do :)

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

sushibandit posted:

Any way of finding out if the effect changes/gets stronger as an item is reinforced? Good to know either way, thanks for using your evil powers for good.

Effects are attached to an item's ID. Reinforcement does not change the ID, so the effect does not change.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

argondamn posted:

I think those salamanders might be the only reason the word "tongue" is part of the orange soapstone vocabulary, so we have that to be thankful for.

Nah, there's those guys hiding in the water in the shrine.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

I just beat the final boss and the entire game unspoiled! Time to finally look at this thread.

From what I can tell, there is only one ending and that's kind of disappointing. Still, it seems coming loaded out the rear end with lightning spells was the right thing to do, because I just ate right through Nashandra's entire health bar in no time flat. And it seems she is part of some of the remnants of Manus according to some of the weapons you can make from her soul? All the more to investigate, I suppose.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

RE: Boss chat

I measure a boss' success by whether or not the idea of facing them again on a new character makes me groan. So far, the only one is Vendrick. (I haven't even attempted the Ancient Dragon because of everything I've read here, but he'd probably join the King on my list.)

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

aegof posted:

High damage range on the ground, or inexhaustible range from elsewhere. Don't try and melee them, and stay out of their range if you can.
Better yet, don't try to kill them at all. Only one that's worth it is the one blocking the cave if you don't have the iron key yet. Even then it's probably better to just get the key and sprint around them as much as possible.

Even if you kill the salamander blocking the cave, there's a tiny pile of rubble keeping you from actually entering it. I was not pleased when I discovered that.

Also here's an :effort: gif of the gekko in avatar form.

VVV He deals a ton of damage so if you gently caress up he can very easily kill you. With a health bar as big as his the fight goes on forever and naturally you start to play sloppily and get punished for it.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 03:23 on May 15, 2014

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Jay Rust posted:

RE: Boss chat

I measure a boss' success by whether or not the idea of facing them again on a new character makes me groan. So far, the only one is Vendrick. (I haven't even attempted the Ancient Dragon because of everything I've read here, but he'd probably join the King on my list.)

I have no idea why Vendrick was so hard for me. he's theoretically such an easy boss with incredibly predictable attacks but if I slipped up even once the fight was as good as lost.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

StashAugustine posted:

Wait, poo poo she's a NPC? :negative:

Is this you

http://jimcashfan.tumblr.com/post/85229606884/dark-souls-2-my-first-invader-i-spent-an-hour

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Hey Genocyber when you say elemental infusions are best for pvp, does that rule out poison? I was under the impression that was the best choice for pvp for some reason.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

Cowcaster posted:

Hey Genocyber when you say elemental infusions are best for pvp, does that rule out poison? I was under the impression that was the best choice for pvp for some reason.
Nah, it's all about the actual elements (Magic/Fire/Lightning/Dark), particularly when you can use the weapon buff spells on them.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Ahahaha. I wonder if he's gone on in ignorant bliss or if people have deluged his inbox letting him he smug posted about an NPC.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

is there a texture mod that will turn last giant into a moe anime schoolgirl, since he falls on his face for no reason during the fight

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

Ariong posted:

If you really must kill the fire salamanders, use poison throwing knives. 4 of them will cause poison i think and it usually takes around half their health bar with little to no risk.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Visions of Dark Knight Kirk.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I summoned a dude with a small summon sign in front of the ruin sentinel room since usually they don't last through half of the room before their duty is fulfilled. This guy comes in, is invincible, aggros all the sentinels and just runs away. Then I got summoned for throne of want where I get booted the instant the guy enters the mist door (not a duty fulfilled, just that he left the world). Nice!

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

Cowcaster posted:

Elemental's good because you can layer a same-element spell buff on top of it, which will add to the elemental damage and then increase it by a significant percent. If poison does more damage, it's because you're inflicting the target with poison, not because of the damage of the weapon (which will probably be relatively low).

If you want to poison people, it's probably with a Bat Staff Dark Fog, and then you'll still have all the other staff options as back up.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

animatorZed posted:

For the normal ones, if you get right up next to them and just past the side of their face, they will keep turning to face you but their model geometry will keep turning you with them. Wait for them to swipe, get a few hits in, repeat.

Yes bu there's a chance they will actually shake you off, and then you're screwed. Anyway I got everything that was down there, but what's so great about the Rebel's Greatshield?

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

Ariong posted:

Yes bu there's a chance they will actually shake you off, and then you're screwed. Anyway I got everything that was down there, but what's so great about the Rebel's Greatshield?
It has really high elemental deflection all across the board, and it can be infused if you want to block out a specific element.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

Ariong posted:

Excellent defenses against elements and afflictions that go up to 100% with infusions, essentially letting you completely shut out casters in PvP.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Ariong posted:

In PvE? Nothing really. However for PvP its amazing since it has incredibly high magic and elemental resit across the board. You have 90% block against every element and 100% against whatever you choose to infuse it with. It completely fucks casters.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Powerstanced zweihanders :allears:

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Oh. That's cool! I assume McDuff will infuse things for me once I find his ember.

Anyway, I have another question. Well, more like a request for a hint as to where to go next. Heide's Tower of Flame had a couple of bosses and a lady that sold me miracles. After that was a wharf that had another boss and Gavlan. It ended with a ghost ship that took me to the place that leads to the last sinner, whom I've already defeated. The only other place I can think of is the bonfire that leads to a dead end, a door that requires a ring, and the shaded woods which don't seem to contain progress. Suggestions?

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

Ariong posted:

Oh. That's cool! I assume McDuff will infuse things for me once I find his ember.

Anyway, I have another question. Well, more like a request for a hint as to where to go next. Heide's Tower of Flame had a couple of bosses and a lady that sold me miracles. After that was a wharf that had another boss and Gavlan. It ended with a ghost ship that took me to the place that leads to the last sinner, whom I've already defeated. The only other place I can think of is the bonfire that leads to a dead end, a door that requires a ring, and the shaded woods which don't seem to contain progress. Suggestions?
Shaded Woods does lead to progression. Did you exhaust the miracle lady's dialogue? If so, you should revisit that Majula staircase that leads to Heide.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
Gedosato author has posted a preview image of his next release, which will have HDR bloom/eye adaptation effects available

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Cowcaster posted:

Fire/Lightning/Dark/Magic is what I mean. Elemental is almost always better because people generally have a lot more physical defense than they do elemental. Of the elements Fire and Magic are the "worst" because they're some of the easiest to get, though generally this doesn't matter. And of course, if you buff the weapons with the appropriate element, your damage will skyrocket.

Poison isn't that great for PVP, at least not on weapons, as it cuts the damage and it's kinda hard to build up enough to proc. Good weapons for it are Ricard's Rapier thanks to its r2s, any of the Twinblades, or the Spotted Whip (a single powerstance l2 with two of poison infused of these will poison most people).

turtlecrunch posted:

Gedosato author has posted a preview image of his next release, which will have HDR bloom/eye adaptation effects available

That Sunlight (?) Spear looks ugly as poo poo.

Orcrez
Apr 11, 2009
I love this game so much but I was wondering what a good magic and sword build?

oh ya thanks to someone named JESUS CHRIST for helping me with the Iron boss!

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
A good magic and sword build is <casting stat of your choice to 50> and <stat requirements for weapon you like>

Protip: Use a mace it's broken as poo poo in PvE for most of the game.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Nahxela posted:

Shaded Woods does lead to progression. Did you exhaust the miracle lady's dialogue? If so, you should revisit that Majula staircase that leads to Heide.

Thanks. I swear I was running around in that for for half and hour.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Squishing people while they're down with greatshields doesn't do as much damage as I hoped it would.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Captain Oblivious posted:

A good magic and sword build is <casting stat of your choice to 50> and <stat requirements for weapon you like>

More accurately, it's casting stat to <whatever spell/weapon has the lowest requirements>. Two exceptions being MLGS and Defender's Greatsword; they benefit enough from scaling to warrant it. Otherwise it's not worth it because most weapons (all elemental weapons that started out as pure physical) and spells don't get that much of a boost in damage all things considered (i.e. I tested Sunlight Spear with 50 Fth and Dragon Chime and 36 Fth and Protective Chime, and I only did ~150 more damage with the Dragon Chime one).

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Captain Oblivious posted:

This is not a joke. I ran through everything in the game up until Vesdalt today using the mace and it was a breeze. Only took it up to +5 and it did more than enough damage. If you're just speed running the game to get to later content, pick up the mace.

turtlecrunch posted:

Oh boy. When I went through that area my first thought was "gee, fighting these Ruin Sentinels would be even better if I couldn't see poo poo". Why does every lighting mod turn the game into Tomb of the Giants?

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 04:00 on May 15, 2014

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Yeah I tried mace on my 3rd run and now I can't not use it. Its stupid good.

BARONS GAMES WHINER posted:

14/26 Humanoid (53.8%)

16/30 Humanoid (53.3%)

Game Set And Match, "Dark Souls 2 has too many boring humanoid bosses" guys!

Hahahaha, thanks for taking the time to do this.

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down

turtlecrunch posted:

Why do people continually think that completely jacking up the contrast and saturation on things makes images look better?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

animatorZed posted:

Why do people continually think that completely jacking up the contrast and saturation on things makes images look better?

Basic shader effects are all they really can do. They want to believe they're making a difference :downs: Sometimes it legitimately does, but no value works well across the board, and they usually go overboard trying to make a pronounced difference. Skyrim modders are super guilty of this, though there's a few amazing shader mods.