Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

Baltazar Robotnik posted:

Is bringing up games people were literally just talking about a running joke in this thread or something?

yes but its unintentional

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

GreatGreen posted:

So has there been much talk about Lords of the Fallen lately? It's coming out next Tuesday and looks like what would happen if Dark Souls had a baby with Blizzard's artists. I'm looking really forward to it personally.
There was a stream posted on the previous page that makes the game look dull as dishwater. Granted the guy playing could have just sucked at it, but it appeared to be very lovely environments and particle effects but combat with no real depth and what seemed to be incredibly dull enemy design. At most it might be Dark Souls in an aesthetic sense but the game play itself seemed very simple and dull.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.

Baltazar Robotnik posted:

Is bringing up games people were literally just talking about a running joke in this thread or something?

The thread tends to move really fast, and it also serves as a catch-all for all PC games. So it's somewhat understandable.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Have anyone here played the current early access version of War for the Overworld? If so, how's the gameplay? I'd love to have a worthy successor to Overlord, but I'm a bit vary after wasting money on DUNGEONS.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
So is there any way to make Enhanced Steam show you the average worth of your undropped cards again? Seems like they took that feature out.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Nice write-up. I've been curious about this ever since the Yahtzee drown-out episode, and it definitely seems like a neat concept. Would you say that it's something you should try if you have a high tolerance for lack of polish, or are the problems more fundamental than that? It seems most of the things you cite are caused by a lack of actual user testing — that none of the conventional affordances for player preference have been included, perhaps with a dash of auto-rectal head insertion — than failure of actual gameplay.

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

I really like the idea of a roguelike FPS game. I tried Paranautical Activity and it was awful. What's my best bet for something not terrible?

I've been looking at these ones mostly
Delver http://store.steampowered.com/app/249630/
Tower of Guns http://store.steampowered.com/app/266110
Eldritch http://store.steampowered.com/app/252630/

any decent ones I've missed?

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Tower of Guns is rad.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Eldritch is basically a dungeon crawler with combat similar to minecraft.

Tower of Guns is a roguelike FPS with gameplay more in the quake/UT vein.

Both are excellent. I haven't played Delver.

duomo
Oct 9, 2007

Soiled Meat
Rogue Shooter: The FPS Roguelike

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
I'll toss in my recommendations for both Eldritch and Tower of Guns as well. They're different enough that I'd recommend them both, but I think Tower of Guns might be more worth it at full price.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Niggurath posted:

There was a stream posted on the previous page that makes the game look dull as dishwater. Granted the guy playing could have just sucked at it, but it appeared to be very lovely environments and particle effects but combat with no real depth and what seemed to be incredibly dull enemy design. At most it might be Dark Souls in an aesthetic sense but the game play itself seemed very simple and dull.

Even if it is just good graphics with easy Souls-esque combat, that could be pretty fun. Like Darksiders for example did absolutely nothing novel or even particularly well, but was still decent and a success.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
Rogue Shooter is exactly that. I like it, mainly because it borrows from the early 90's, 2.5D style of play.

Edit: How the hell did I miss that :doh:

Morter fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Oct 23, 2014

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

Kly posted:

I really like the idea of a roguelike FPS game. I tried Paranautical Activity and it was awful. What's my best bet for something not terrible?

Ziggurat is a fast paced roguelike FPS that seems to be getting very good and close to release, tho I haven't played it for a few patches
http://store.steampowered.com/app/308420/

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Quest For Glory II posted:

Tower of Guns is rad.

Agreeing with this.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
Heavy Bullets is great, though it doesn't have a ton of variety.

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

Morter posted:

Rogue Shooter is exactly that. I like it, mainly because it borrows from the early 90's, 2.5D style of play.

I've seen this one and kinda wrote it off mostly because of the graphics and trailer but maybe I'll check it out if it ever goes on sale for a couple bucks.

This looks really good though and I hadn't heard of it, thanks! Hard to tell how much variety it has but I think I'll check it out.

Sivek
Nov 12, 2012

This game and Superfrog HD are the only times I've ever felt motion sick while playing a game. The art is too busy and I remember the way the camera scrolls/pans out in combination with the speed you're moving at just made me want to lay down.

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry

Justin_Brett posted:

So is there any way to make Enhanced Steam show you the average worth of your undropped cards again? Seems like they took that feature out.
It's still there :confused:

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Broken Cog posted:

Have anyone here played the current early access version of War for the Overworld? If so, how's the gameplay? I'd love to have a worthy successor to Overlord, but I'm a bit vary after wasting money on DUNGEONS.

It's on my wishlist but I haven't played it. It's trying to copy Dungeon Keeper, not Overlord. Very different games. As far as I know it's the best Dungeon Keeper-like coming out.

FadedReality
Sep 5, 2007

Okurrrr?
Is there a name for the sub-genre of roguelikes that have permanent progression like Rogue Legacy? I mean beyond unlocking classes or more items thrown in the RNG pool.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Zombie Samurai posted:

20. Hell Yeah!
[/b]

If you're still reading after all that, let's talk about a weird little platformer before you go. I was worried Hell Yeah! would be the least Halloweeny game on my original list, but it has enough blood and hellfire to count, I think. You play Ash, the skeletal bunny prince of Hell. Your dad croaked and some rear end in a top hat demon took scandalous photos of you so your mandate to rule is in question. The story is dumb and the humor errs on the side of trying too hard, but it's a good enough setup for murdering tons of demons. Which is your goal, killing 100 demons in all kinds of gruesome ways. Your main weapon is a sawblade (they call it a jetpack and I have no idea why) that lets you kill normal enemies by touching them and wear down the big named monsters. Once you wear them down you get a little WarioWare-style minigame to finish them off in some bloody, goofy way.

The platforming is solid, though the emphasis seems more on exploring to find money and secrets for upgrades than on fighting. Combat really is mostly a non-issue since you kill things by touching them and you have a ridiculous amount of health. It's colorful and cute and a little gross and has a ton to unlock, so it's not bad if you want a light platformer with some goofy style.

I bought this on 360 last year and remember it being alright but not great. I would have liked it more if it didn't start repeating the mini-games so quickly and did more with the sprites than just stretching them.

Orv
May 4, 2011

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

It's on my wishlist but I haven't played it. It's trying to copy Dungeon Keeper, not Overlord. Very different games. As far as I know it's the best Dungeon Keeper-like coming out.

It is 100% the only good Dungeon Keeper attempt currently in production. It's 70% carbon copy of DK2, 30% some new stuff and fixes to DK2 that never got the chance to be done. That's said there's absolutely no reason not to wait for it to be finished. An unfinished Dungeon Keeper game is an even worse proposition than most EA titles.

As to Lords of the Fallen, the guy playing in that stream I linked just ran around for twenty minutes unable to find a key he'd already found when playing the game previously. Game journos. That said, looking at other streams over the past couple months the game definitely has some difficult content, primarily the bosses which have a ton of stun moves that if you do not dodge/block effectively kill you immediately after.

Rage McDougal
Jul 28, 2013

FadedReality posted:

Is there a name for the sub-genre of roguelikes that have permanent progression like Rogue Legacy? I mean beyond unlocking classes or more items thrown in the RNG pool.

Some people call them "roguelites". I'm pretty sure it was the Rogue Legacy guys who I first heard use it as well.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Rage McDougal posted:

Some people call them "roguelites". I'm pretty sure it was the Rogue Legacy guys who I first heard use it as well.

that's the "proper" term for the roguelikes that aren't really roguelikes like isaac and risk of rain and rogue legacy. nothing to do with progression.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Cook, Serve, Delicious is getting a free update :woop:

Between that, the Risk of Rain update yesterday and the general chaos going on with Payday 2 at the moment, I'm set for games for a while!

Oh god there's a sale coming up isn't there...

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Nettle Soup posted:

Cook, Serve, Delicious is getting a free update :woop:

Between that, the Risk of Rain update yesterday and the general chaos going on with Payday 2 at the moment, I'm set for games for a while!

Oh god there's a sale coming up isn't there...

Risk of Rain updated? Cool! I got all the artifacts but one and now I have an excuse to go back. And it looks like there are new characters too!

Rage McDougal
Jul 28, 2013

Awesome! posted:

that's the "proper" term for the roguelikes that aren't really roguelikes like isaac and risk of rain and rogue legacy. nothing to do with progression.

I thought they were "roguelikelikes"?

Dammit, now I have to rename all my categories!

(e: that is to say that "roguelites" are contained within the class "roguelikelikes" that are related to, but separate from "roguelikes" and oh no I've gone cross-eyed)

Rage McDougal fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Oct 23, 2014

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Sorry, my bad. I meant Dungeon Keeper of course, bit late here.

Orv posted:

It is 100% the only good Dungeon Keeper attempt currently in production. It's 70% carbon copy of DK2, 30% some new stuff and fixes to DK2 that never got the chance to be done. That's said there's absolutely no reason not to wait for it to be finished. An unfinished Dungeon Keeper game is an even worse proposition than most EA titles.

Thanks! I think I'll wait it out for now, then.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Rage McDougal posted:

I thought they were "roguelikelikes"?

Dammit, now I have to rename all my categories!

(e: that is to say that "roguelites" are contained within the class "roguelikelikes" that are related to, but separate from "roguelikes" and oh no I've gone cross-eyed)

it's all stupid with people getting really spergy about the proper usage as defined by them. just know that if you want a rogue legacy-like advancement system a "roguelite" categorized game might not give it to you

quote:

If there’s one question I always never get, it’s “how do I turn my love for CSD into a pro eSports career?” The answer was always, “never you crazy person, get away from me.” UNTIL NOW.

There will be eSports related challenges for both single and multiplayer Tag Team events, each with their own leaderboards. So now go to your local eSports office and tell em’ you want to enlist in Cook Serve Delicious! ESPORTS!

I have no idea what eSports actually is.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

RBA Starblade posted:

Risk of Rain updated? Cool! I got all the artifacts but one and now I have an excuse to go back. And it looks like there are new characters too!

2 new classes, new items, new challenges, and a bunch of performance updates. Risk of Rain is such a good game.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
Is pretty loving good. It became my "got time to kill" game for a while.

Delusibeta
Aug 7, 2013

Let's ride together.

Naturally, I shall be cooking as the Nidhogg. Because it's the bloody Nidhogg.

In other news, the Football Manager 2015 pre-order beta is underway, so there goes 50% of the UK PC gaming population.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

RBA Starblade posted:

My friend and I saw that it had updated yesterday so we excitedly launched the game to play with each other. Our experiences:

- Her save data was completely wiped.
- We were completely unable to connect to each other to play multiplayer. Attempting to join each other's games would result in a black screen with nothing but the framerate tracker in the bottom right and the "force item sharing" option.

Good update.

Maybe backup your save data first.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW
"Procedural death labyrinth" is fitting for games where you wander around lost until you die, I guess

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Tippis posted:

Nice write-up. I've been curious about this ever since the Yahtzee drown-out episode, and it definitely seems like a neat concept. Would you say that it's something you should try if you have a high tolerance for lack of polish, or are the problems more fundamental than that? It seems most of the things you cite are caused by a lack of actual user testing — that none of the conventional affordances for player preference have been included, perhaps with a dash of auto-rectal head insertion — than failure of actual gameplay.

I would say yes, if you are curious and can give a game a HUGE benefit of the doubt, then it is worth a try. The concept is solid, the ship is interesting, and the atmosphere is great as long as nothing's bugging out. I didn't play it enough to find out how much of a hassle enemies and ammo management really are, but it seems manageable enough. I couldn't suggest picking it up at full price no matter how curious you are, but if you're curious it might be worth sale price.

I can write up Eldritch tonight, it's on my list and I got pretty into it when it came out. If you want immediate impressions it's good but leans more action than horror due to your movespeed and the ease of combat. The randomization gives it a lot of replayability, and the dev has been adding post-release content despite never promising to do so. Some of the enemies are kinda bullshit, though.

Sivek posted:

This game and Superfrog HD are the only times I've ever felt motion sick while playing a game. The art is too busy and I remember the way the camera scrolls/pans out in combination with the speed you're moving at just made me want to lay down.

I didn't mention this but you're spot-on, the camera pans way too fast. It's a very spastic game which is weird, because there's never really that much going on in terms of the action.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Kly posted:

I thought that Rogue Shooter was loving awful. I enjoyed Ziggurat for about 10 hours of gameplay, but I sort of suck at it, and hit a brick wall on moving past level 3, especially since the dev has only done things to increase difficulty.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Kaubocks posted:

My friend and I saw that it had updated yesterday so we excitedly launched the game to play with each other. Our experiences:

- Her save data was completely wiped.
- We were completely unable to connect to each other to play multiplayer. Attempting to join each other's games would result in a black screen with nothing but the framerate tracker in the bottom right and the "force item sharing" option.

Good update.

Maybe backup your save data first.

Thanks for the tip, I'll do that. I wonder if once they get past that black screen we can connect in any way but through direct ip yet.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Alo Steam thread. I'm looking for some game recommendations. I want a few games that play 4 players local and goes well with a party/drinking setting. So far I have Speedrunners and The Expendabros. I'm looking for something more like Speedrunners to hit that Mario Kart/SSB itch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lonely Rolling Star
Mar 20, 2009

Better than a crowbar.
So I just received a completely random Steam key for The Road Redemption from the devs, on account that I seem like an influential Steam account holder. Which does make me worry that things aren't going well on their end of development that they have to ask individual users for goodwill and playtime. But then again, I do know I've gotten at least 20 people to play Payday 2, so maybe there is some merit to that. I actually thought the game might have been out of early access, on account that I don't even want to wade through the poo poo that is Steam's front page anymore, but it isn't. Then the rep and I had a nice ranty conversation about the Steam front page.

Hope The Road Redemption does turn out well, on account that I did enjoy Road Rash on the Playstation, and I kinda want to shotgun dudes that I can't catch up with like some horrific blue shell. If not, at least the devs seem like nice proactive people.

• Locked thread