Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

rear end Catchcum posted:

They can just fix it?

They'll give you a new one, but you won't be "returning" it.

Alternatively, since Apple won't service it, you can take it to a third party.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
Yeah, thanks, my point was I really don't feel like switching my phone out and having to set everything up again.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

There's not really much setup, just make sure you do an iCloud backup before you go out, sign into it on the new handset and just put the phone aside for an hour or so as it goes about its business.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

LODGE NORTH posted:

They'll give you a new one, but you won't be "returning" it.

Alternatively, since Apple won't service it, you can take it to a third party.
Course a third party repair could void the warranty. (Well I'm assuming it does void it, but realistically it'll probably depend if Apple can tell there was a repair or not)

Weedle
May 31, 2006

japtor posted:

Course a third party repair could void the warranty. (Well I'm assuming it does void it, but realistically it'll probably depend if Apple can tell there was a repair or not)

If you can find an Apple authorized service provider in your area, they will do the repair and preserve your warranty status.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Jeez.

Skipped this thread over the weekend and missed lost-phone chat. The advice given was more harmful than good. It's 2016. Your handset is worth a lot more than the calls someone might make by stealing the SIM, so getting it blocked as a first action is a bad idea.

If you lose your phone do this:

Go to iCloud
Stick it in lost mode. Ensure the message is something that would bring it back to you, based on the situation. This disables ApplePay, any calls / messages and TouchID.
[wait some time]
If nothing happens, tell it to erase on the off-chance it will reconnect at some point
Report it lost/stolen to LE/your carrier.

By doing the last step first, you can't have any reasonable chance of finding the phone.
There's no route from locked iPhone -> functioning device for a criminal as iCloud & activation locks prevent it so there's no panic to block the IMEI like there was with phones bought in 2001.

e: Find my iPhone is *on by default*

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Yeah, thanks, my point was I really don't feel like switching my phone out and having to set everything up again.

There's literally nothing to setup. Just have an iCloud or iTunes backup ready to go and your new phone will be identical after the restore.

banana allergy
Jan 19, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Weedle posted:

If you can find an Apple authorized service provider in your area, they will do the repair and preserve your warranty status.

This is not the case for iPhones. Only Apple retail or AppleCare by mail can do warranty service on iPhones. No one else gets authorized.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

banana allergy posted:

This is not the case for iPhones. Only Apple retail or AppleCare by mail can do warranty service on iPhones. No one else gets authorized.

Some locations are authorized to do phones.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

There's definitely Apple-certified iPhone repair companies, but they're not the lovely mall kiosks and won't be any cheaper than going to an Apple Store.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
Isn't it better to do fresh installs?

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

My network ended up effectively matching what the other network was offering! They do have the 64GB SE they just don't list it I guess.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Isn't it better to do fresh installs?

Only if one was having weird issues prior to restoring a backup. Sometimes backups can bring the weird issues back. But a vast majority of the time a fresh install is unnecessary.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

Godzilla07 posted:

Hold down power + home for 10 seconds and the device will reboot.

That's a hard reboot, so I wouldn't do this frequently since nothing gets to close out what they were doing first. I haven't seen anything bad but it basically *is* a computer.

Endless Mike posted:

There's definitely Apple-certified iPhone repair companies, but they're not the lovely mall kiosks and won't be any cheaper than going to an Apple Store.

For reference: https://locate.apple.com

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Endless Mike posted:

However, a mom and pop certified repair shop may be able to turn you around faster than the lead time on getting a Genius Bar appointment, provided said shop has the parts on hand. Doesn't seem too uncommon these days to end up with a 3-4 day wait on an appointment.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

That probably depends where you live. I have four or five Apple Stores within a half hour of me, so finding an appointment is rarely an issue for me.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Any third party will have iPhone 6 parts in stock. It's probably the most common phone to come through their doors. Outside of that, Apple will only know it's been replaced or opened up if the repair person does a horrible job or if the part is some jank Chinese part.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory
Here's one thing that's always bothered me about mail.app: Why the hell can't I swipe left or right to go through emails? Clicking the tiny up and down arrows is really dumb.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

I just had to get my 5s replaced due to a swelling battery. The screen was bulging out and dislodged, and if you pressed it you got graphical distortion. Does this happen often with 5s phones?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yes. The 5 saw it as well.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

TheWevel posted:

Here's one thing that's always bothered me about mail.app: Why the hell can't I swipe left or right to go through emails? Clicking the tiny up and down arrows is really dumb.

The new email app "Email" is pretty good so far, resembles mail.app quite a bit, and will let you do this. I was using mail.app and Gmail for my three email addresses until now, I've just consolidated into Email. Try it out!

Edit: sorry, I lied, it doesn't let you do this. It has the same arrows.

enojy fucked around with this message at 23:51 on May 9, 2016

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Some people mentioned the Windows 10 backup issue is that an easy fix?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

EmmyOk posted:

Some people mentioned the Windows 10 backup issue is that an easy fix?

Yes in security settings, just turn off windows defender's real time protection while doing the backup/restore.

Could probably do it by adding an exclusion to the folder too, which is in %AppData%/Apple Computer/MobileSync/Backup

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

xzzy posted:

Yes. The 5 saw it as well.
Just swapped my 6 last week for the same issue. It's not really specific to any one model.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

EmmyOk posted:

My network ended up effectively matching what the other network was offering! They do have the 64GB SE they just don't list it I guess.

quietly anticipating the "got my phone" post.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
I'm just checking before I try a refresh. If I created a shared album people could add to, do I need to do anything to preserve it before I wipe my phone to go back to normal releases? I'm on the beta right now.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

It should be saved in iCloud as it is.

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

Can someone help? Why is it such a pain in th rear end to update apps? And also I can't redownload apps I deleted and want again. It's actually wicked annoying when I try to download old apps again it just does the cloud thing and then it goes circle and doesn't load then goes back to cloud

Is it cause I'm on welfare T-Mobile? I can't do it on wifi either

Thank you !!!!!!'nnnn

Unity Gain
Sep 15, 2007

dancing blue
I've had update troubles on my iThings all day. Press button, spin, spin, back to update button. Manually updating one at a time kinda worked, most of the time. Also on T-Mobile, also broken on home wifi, so I think there's an Apple problem here.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Why are you all janitoring your updates? Just let them auto-update on their own while you sleep.

Unity Gain
Sep 15, 2007

dancing blue

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Why are you all janitoring your updates? Just let them auto-update on their own while you sleep.

I like to read the release notes :shrug:

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Unity Gain posted:

goon.txt

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Unity Gain posted:

Bug fixes and performance improvements.

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

They aren't doing that either

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Weedle posted:

Bug fixes and performance improvements.

Starting to prefer this to the 200 words of insufferably twee poo poo that says effectively the same thing.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Khablam posted:

Starting to prefer this to the 200 words of insufferably twee poo poo that says effectively the same thing.

If you don't enjoy specific edge case scenario notes then I don't know how you get out of bed in the morning.

The new trend of being cutesy in the patch notes is starting to wear thin. A few big apps did it and now everyone thinks they're a comedic genius. I'm more and more sold on just auto-updating and seeing what's new when they add a "What's new" screen on new features.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Updates were janky for me for a while, one of the last few OS updates seems to have fixed it for me though.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Most updates make the app worse for no good reason.

lollybo
Dec 29, 2008
Anybody have a good recommendation for an ultra thin case and screen protector for an iphone 6s plus? I currently have a spigen clear case and although it is nice I think I would prefer something thinner that would not add width to the phone. The tempered glass screen I got is okay, it was one of the top rated ones on amazon, but I feel it is a little too thick and takes away from the sensitivity of the screen, and attracts smudges too easily. If anyone had good experiences with other brands, I'm all ears.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

I've tried a bunch of tempered glass protectors for my phones over the years and honestly they pretty much all seem the same.

As for a case, the Caudabe Veil XT and Shumuri Slim Extra are both very thin and great.