Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Rand Brittain posted:

It is, yeah, which is why they should just ditch it for a 1 XP cost, which has a much better bellyfeel for some weird neurological reason.

Paying XP to make setting changes (except in a system like Chuubo's when that's like, the only thing XP is for) always feels bad, but it's much better to do it via WP drain than via direct XP tax. Permanently standing magic sapping the creator's will actually lets you know how it feels to characters, why most characters don't do it, and how an NPC should change if they do it or have already done it in the course of the story, while standing magic permanently sapping the creator's pool of abstract stat-buying currency doesn't really deliver any setting information or inform the behavior of NPCs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

Ferrinus posted:

Paying XP to make setting changes (except in a system like Chuubo's when that's like, the only thing XP is for) always feels bad, but it's much better to do it via WP drain than via direct XP tax. Permanently standing magic sapping the creator's will actually lets you know how it feels to characters, why most characters don't do it, and how an NPC should change if they do it or have already done it in the course of the story, while standing magic permanently sapping the creator's pool of abstract stat-buying currency doesn't really deliver any setting information or inform the behavior of NPCs.

On the other hand, Willpower is a limited resource and XP is effectively infinite. Objectively they're the same, but spending Willpower still gives people a gut "gently caress no I'm not spending 1/5 of my total willpower on that, I might need that" response that spending XP doesn't.

I mean, you have a point. Spending willpower does show that it feels bad in-character. Spending willpower just feels bad out of character too.

counterspin
Apr 2, 2010

Someone did a bad copy replace.

Terrorforge
Dec 22, 2013

More of a furnace, really

Kurieg posted:

There's an... unfortunate typo in the example dots for Wits.

I have an electromagnetics textbook that suffers from a similar error - all instances of "fl" and "fi" are just gone.

Thanks to a quirk of the Swedish language, this has resulted in the frequent references to "flow integrals"* all being replaced with "fate integrals."

(*a term for the surface integral of a vector field that afaik doesn't have a direct translation)

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

counterspin posted:

Someone did a bad copy replace.
*appears blasting down from the sky* editorial layout people are important

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I'd probably just treat anything like that as a one-dot merit (that you can buy on credit, so to speak) complete with the "if it's lost or destroyed then per sanctity of merits you get it back." Some gamelines might even handle it that way explicitly, at least as far as refunding willpower, I forget.
I hadn't considered sanctity of merits but in that light, paying Willpower for soul pacts in Demon is unambiguously a better option than the alternatives. The whole point of those pacts is that they're irreplaceable and if you get one torn up, you're at the bottom of a steep and treacherous hill. Wouldn't be the same if it was a matter of finding a place to lay low and reinvesting your xp refund

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011
I belong here. I contain only inanimate objects. Nothing is amiss.

Terrorforge posted:

I have an electromagnetics textbook that suffers from a similar error - all instances of "fl" and "fi" are just gone.

Publication often uses ligatures for "fi" and "fl," so in both cases I'm guessing the problem is the text is trying to use ligatures with a font that doesn't have them ready.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Basic Chunnel posted:

I hadn't considered sanctity of merits but in that light, paying Willpower for soul pacts in Demon is unambiguously a better option than the alternatives. The whole point of those pacts is that they're irreplaceable and if you get one torn up, you're at the bottom of a steep and treacherous hill. Wouldn't be the same if it was a matter of finding a place to lay low and reinvesting your xp refund

I'm not saying sanctity of merits covers this RAW, just that anything that leaks XP-value out of the player's character sheet is a bad idea. If you don't address it by giving them more attention / opportunities for beats it leads to them falling behind, and if you do address it every time then you're right back to there being no long-term cost again.

Terrorforge
Dec 22, 2013

Basic Chunnel posted:

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I'm not saying sanctity of merits covers this RAW, just that anything that leaks XP-value out of the player's character sheet is a bad idea. If you don't address it by giving them more attention / opportunities for beats it leads to them falling behind, and if you do address it every time then you're right back to there being no long-term cost again.

i think the Sanctity of Merits approach works for something like relinquishing spells in Mage, but in the specific case of Demon it would seriously devalue the gravitas of both making a Soul Pact and losing a Cover if you could just permanently shuffle one or two points of xp around into a series of backup Covers.

e: I mean in most cases those Willpower costs are supposed to feel bad, to discourage you from making a habit of it

Terrorforge fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Aug 16, 2017

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Well I mean, under my suggestion you'd still be losing the Cover, just not the dot of Willpower / 1 XP.

e: If the willpower cost of a soul pact is the nastiest or most difficult part of it, there's probably a problem on the narrative side of things. I'm all for making mechanics reinforce theme but not at the expense of more basic / fundamental principles, and losing XP is both incredibly feel-bad and opens up a can on worms in the ways I mentioned.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Aug 16, 2017

Axelgear
Oct 13, 2011

If I'm wrong, please don't hesitate to tell me. It happens pretty often and I will try to change my opinion if I'm presented with evidence.

SunAndSpring posted:

I'm interested in Mage 2e. It's pretty loving wordy but I probably have no room to complain considering I play Exalted. Anyway, how did you guys find the rules?

My response has been mixed. I, personally, loved them, but I'm a weird obsessive who likes to spend a lot of time thinking about how mechanics feel. It helped that I followed the dev blogs, so I was at least vaguely familiar with the ideas when the game dropped.

On the other hand, my players had trouble sometimes, coming to internalize both the mechanics and the actual ideas behind things like an Imago.

It doesn't hurt that I'm still occasionally discovering rules I wasn't aware of now and then. Hasn't happened in a while, but there's a lot of smaller details, like Mages always being aware of spell Clashes or that rotes aren't something everyone can insta-cast, that aren't obvious if you don't sit down to read it very carefully from cover to cover.

But overall, 2e is fantastic. It just takes a littlr time to learn to love.

Terrorforge
Dec 22, 2013

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Well I mean, under my suggestion you'd still be losing the Cover, just not the dot of Willpower / 1 XP.

That still makes each Cover a lot more disposable. It becomes way more practical to just acquire burner after burner, never having to worry doing irreparable damage to your Cover because hey, you can always just pickup another.

As usual that's not an objectively wrong way to play Demon, and if you want to you can smack some restrictions on it or just apply common sense ST fiat, but to me that feels like a lot of work to fix something that ain't broke.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Terrorforge posted:

That still makes each Cover a lot more disposable. It becomes way more practical to just acquire burner after burner, never having to worry doing irreparable damage to your Cover because hey, you can always just pickup another.

As usual that's not an objectively wrong way to play Demon, and if you want to you can smack some restrictions on it or just apply common sense ST fiat, but to me that feels like a lot of work to fix something that ain't broke.

Permanent XP loss is broke, that's my point. I'm not a fan of mechanics that punish the player in order to stop them from doing something, still frame it as a choice, and result in an undesirable game state for the whole table if they go ahead and do it anyways.

Putting some other mechanical restriction on it would probably be wise, you'd have no argument from me there.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Lurks With Wolves posted:

On the other hand, Willpower is a limited resource and XP is effectively infinite. Objectively they're the same, but spending Willpower still gives people a gut "gently caress no I'm not spending 1/5 of my total willpower on that, I might need that" response that spending XP doesn't.

I mean, you have a point. Spending willpower does show that it feels bad in-character. Spending willpower just feels bad out of character too.

Yes, that is a good thing. Experience points aren't actually real or representative of anything in-game - they're an out of character editing currency. Willpower dots are - they're representative of your character's psychic reserves.

If it was up to me I'd remove the ability to buy WP dots back with XP, but instead have them come back by the in-game year or something. But you can recover them faster if you eat people's souls, and if you spend special magically-charged sacraments in the initial spellcasting you can spend WP points instead of WP dots for permanency.

Axelgear
Oct 13, 2011

If I'm wrong, please don't hesitate to tell me. It happens pretty often and I will try to change my opinion if I'm presented with evidence.

Ferrinus posted:

if you spend special magically-charged sacraments in the initial spellcasting you can spend WP points instead of WP dots for permanency.

Tome of the Mysteries covered this a bit. I always liked anything that encouraged seeking out magical bargains or oddities.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Ferrinus posted:

Yes, that is a good thing. Experience points aren't actually real or representative of anything in-game - they're an out of character editing currency. Willpower dots are - they're representative of your character's psychic reserves.

If it was up to me I'd remove the ability to buy WP dots back with XP, but instead have them come back by the in-game year or something. But you can recover them faster if you eat people's souls, and if you spend special magically-charged sacraments in the initial spellcasting you can spend WP points instead of WP dots for permanency.

This works well on several levels, although I'm not 100% on tying the recharge to something as book-keepy as an in-game year. Maybe make it work like glitches where you have to plug yourself into a G-M facility to fix it.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

This works well on several levels, although I'm not 100% on tying the recharge to something as book-keepy as an in-game year. Maybe make it work like glitches where you have to plug yourself into a G-M facility to fix it.

Oh, I was talking about mages making spells permanent, not demons doing pacts or whatever. But yeah I'm not married to the year thing, I just went for a unit of time because, hell, WP points come back by the day right?

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

When I was running Demon, my idea was a Condition that gave a penalty until resolved. I had it be so you just couldn't do it again until resolving, but it could easily just be stacking instances.

Terrorforge
Dec 22, 2013

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Permanent XP loss is broke, that's my point. I'm not a fan of mechanics that punish the player in order to stop them from doing something, still frame it as a choice, and result in an undesirable game state for the whole table if they go ahead and do it anyways.

Putting some other mechanical restriction on it would probably be wise, you'd have no argument from me there.

You're probably right in the general. I'm a bit of a masochist, though, so to me a lot of the feel-bad stuff reads as a feature rather than a bug. Especially in Demon, which already has a big high-risk, high-reward theme and actually gives you a tangible (and substantial) mechanical advantage for your trouble.

In Mage it definitely just feels like a roadblock, though. Same with stuff like the Gadget rules in Demon. Obviously you don't want apprentices enchanting everything in sight, but it feels more than a little lovely that the entire "guy what makes cool things" archetype is locked behind an xp paywall.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Mors Rattus posted:

If it makes you feel better you can think of it as a 1-XP permanence tax, that being the cost now to replace that Willpower dot.

Yeah, as others have expanded on, that's not something I'm all that excited about.

I feel like this is a problem that was begging to be resolved with Conditions. I also really like Ferrinus' mitigation idea upthread.

That Old Tree fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Aug 16, 2017

Axelgear
Oct 13, 2011

A Condition that leaves you with a lower maximum Willpower and a resolution trigger of "Achieve a personal milestone" or some such would feel like an improvement, yeah.

Dave Brookshaw
Jun 27, 2012

No Regrets

Rand Brittain posted:

It is, yeah, which is why they should just ditch it for a 1 XP cost, which has a much better bellyfeel for some weird neurological reason.

(Looks at the long section in Signs of Sorcery to allow alternative payments than Willpower, which just making it XP would render impossible)

... Like the whole "You get free Reach equal to main Arcanum +1 - Practice Rating of Spell," which could also be simplified, it's an "expansion slot" in the mechanics.

In 1st ed, only suckers actually paid Willpower to relinquish their spells. Making cursed items or paying some of the other esoteric prices is less game-breakingly easy in 2e, but those rules are coming.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Dave Brookshaw posted:

(Looks at the long section in Signs of Sorcery to allow alternative payments than Willpower, which just making it XP would render impossible)

... Like the whole "You get free Reach equal to main Arcanum +1 - Practice Rating of Spell," which could also be simplified, it's an "expansion slot" in the mechanics.

In 1st ed, only suckers actually paid Willpower to relinquish their spells. Making cursed items or paying some of the other esoteric prices is less game-breakingly easy in 2e, but those rules are coming.

Curse you wizards and your future knowledge!

Dave Brookshaw
Jun 27, 2012

No Regrets

Rand Brittain posted:

Curse you wizards and your future knowledge!

To not be a total goit about it, an example - SoS has a Death 3 spell to destroy a soul instead of sacrificing your own willpower dot when relinquishing.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Dave Brookshaw posted:

To not be a total goit about it, an example - SoS has a Death 3 spell to destroy a soul instead of sacrificing your own willpower dot when relinquishing.

Subbing in for your own WP dots has been the most obvious use for stolen souls for like forever and I can't even remember if it was suggested back in ToM.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Just go visit your local Reaper and don't ask where the soul came from.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Mors Rattus posted:

Just go visit your local Reaper and don't ask where the soul came from.

I still love the Proximi character from Conquering Heroes who's master Mage was having her steal souls for the sake of stealing souls at the behest of a ludicrously evil Beast who was doing it for the lulz.

The souls gave the Proximi bloody soul diarrhea.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Dave Brookshaw posted:

As a totally not Scelestus this sounds rad as all hell.

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

Ah, the "weird, culturally specific niche descriptions" scale of character capabilities. My favourite.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

The dot rating examples are goofy, not especially useful, and I will be so sad if they ever stop using them.

Terrorforge
Dec 22, 2013

What book is that from, even?

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

I like how they decided to just make the dots go right-to-left now for no reason.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Terrorforge posted:

What book is that from, even?

The latest V5 playtest book.

Terrorforge
Dec 22, 2013

Kurieg posted:

The latest V5 playtest book.

Oh phew. I saw things like mapping dots of Intelligence to specific IQ numbers and the phrase "mentally lethargic" and thought it looked dangerously V5, but since I was under the impression they'd ditched the nWoD attributes I got really scared that it was a Deviant or Scion preview.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

What the gently caress. Boiling the attributes down to just physical, mental, and social was one of the good parts!!

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Andunsophis Ticated is my new taxonomic classification.

plaintiff
May 15, 2015

Welp. Apparently someone's going to make some sort of announcement about 5E soon.

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
Nobody ever talks about Promethean or Mummy. Are they worth looking into? I like to shake things up a lot and run shortish games with defined endpoints rather than long-running campaigns, so I like to jump around gamelines to keep things fresh. I see that there's a Promethean demo, but as someone who has never run a game that I didn't write myself, I'm a bit skeptical of trying it with my players.

And with Mummy I have no idea what I'd do to try and get a taste of it without just diving in facefirst.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Promethean is an exceptionally well-written game and a very hard one to run. 2e has improved a lot of things, but also made a lot of others pointlessly complicated or weird; it isn't bad, but it's definitely a storm of proper nouns and weird subsystems that I don't really think help the game.

Mummy is basically what happens when you write an oWoD game using nWoD rules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Terrorforge posted:

Oh phew. I saw things like mapping dots of Intelligence to specific IQ numbers and the phrase "mentally lethargic" and thought it looked dangerously V5, but since I was under the impression they'd ditched the nWoD attributes I got really scared that it was a Deviant or Scion preview.

pretty sure scion doesn't have dots at all