Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

frank.club posted:

Another British vote ruined by old people

New thread title right here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

frank.club posted:

Another British vote ruined by old people

I am old, I am British. I voted instant. You my dear chap, are generalising.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Oh what the hell :ohdear:

But sure listen to people on official forums and :reddit: what can go wrong. Why don't these idiots go play Star Citizen jfc.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ratzap posted:

I am old, I am British. I voted instant. You my dear chap, are generalising.

I think they started to vaccinate against whatever cataclysmic brain deterioration leads to enjoying tedium in 1984

Friction
Aug 15, 2001

I think the abyss is finally starting to stare back at me :ohdear:

You know you're in for some good times when a jump into a system immediately terminates with an emergency stop.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

Friction posted:

You know you're in for some good times when a jump into a system immediately terminates with an emergency stop.

Nice! So far I've only seen one black hole and it was poo poo. You could barely see any optical effects at all. I'll see how many jumps it takes to get your system.

Friction
Aug 15, 2001

Polo-Rican posted:

Nice! So far I've only seen one black hole and it was poo poo. You could barely see any optical effects at all. I'll see how many jumps it takes to get your system.

This place is pretty far off. You might as well go to Sagittarius A to see some mondo-distortions.

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

Polo-Rican posted:

Nice! So far I've only seen one black hole and it was poo poo. You could barely see any optical effects at all.

You didn't get close enough maybe? For many stellar black holes you need to approach to within 100km if not closer to see the lensing affect everything around you.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Friction posted:

Set your throttle to zero when you are in witchspace. Even with a blackhole, you will have three or four minutes to react! :frontear:

Friction
Aug 15, 2001

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Set your throttle to zero when you are in witchspace. Even with a blackhole, you will have three or four minutes to react! :frontear:

I was expecting just an another neutron star, maybe exploring while tired isn't such a hot idea.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

At least during regular approaches. Every now and then, the game just decides that, nah, never mind what the star map says, the black hole is actually a lot more massive so you get to land at a respectable distance away from that one rather than at a respectable distance away from the O- or B-star it's paired with… oh, and yeah, this means you're now inside scoop range from that binary. :D

You most likely won't melt, but it's still brown trousers time when you instantly max out your scoop rate.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Friction posted:

I was expecting just an another neutron star, maybe exploring while tired isn't such a hot idea.

I lost more ship hull to falling asleep than anything else on my long trip. Podcasts/Netflix helps? :shrug:

Honestly, it added a bit of (realistic) danger to my exploration: nothing like the heart-stopping adrenaline rush of suddenly waking up as you land coming out of a jump! :sweatdrop:

Tippis posted:

At least during regular approaches. Every now and then, the game just decides that, nah, never mind what the star map says, the black hole is actually a lot more massive so you get to land at a respectable distance away from that one rather than at a respectable distance away from the O- or B-star it's paired with… oh, and yeah, this means you're now inside scoop range from that binary. :D

You most likely won't melt, but it's still brown trousers time when you instantly max out your scoop rate.

I haven't seen that many black holes, only a half dozen or so on the way to and from Sag A*. It was always a pretty unique event, since as slow as I went I saw one every two months or so. Isn't there some cluster of them east of the bubble or something? Is that where you are talking about?

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Luneshot posted:

You didn't get close enough maybe? For many stellar black holes you need to approach to within 100km if not closer to see the lensing affect everything around you.

Wait, even at 0 throttle you go 30 km/s iirc, that means you have to approach within 3-4 seconds of falling in the black hole and drop to normal space to observe its effects?

gently caress that. Doesn't it also fry you? Never been close to a black hole myself, I am too much of a pussy to explore space.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

I haven't seen that many black holes, only a half dozen or so on the way to and from Sag A*. It was always a pretty unique event, since as slow as I went I saw one every two months or so. Isn't there some cluster of them east of the bubble or something? Is that where you are talking about?

There's a whole bunch of them paired with O-stars in a cluster near the Elephant's Trunk nebula, maybe 1,500 Ly from the bubble or so? And those are pretty benign — I think I only had one close(ish) call there because I became complacent and because every other system in the cluster is a O+black hole binary with a 150k Ls separation… except for that single one.

That particular fright was from the B-star cluster out by the Omega nebula (5k Ly away, so not as much of a simple hike). I'm guessing that Stellar Forge really likes B-binaries to be hellofalot closer than O-binaries, so every other system with a binary out there was scary to jump into.

Tsar Mikey
Nov 30, 2005

When will then be now?

So somehow I accidentally murdered someone in a RES. How can I get rid of the bounty?

I'm reading conflicting reports that if I buy a cheap Sidewinder and let the police/NPC take me out that'll just give me a "dormant bounty" which the police can see and still blow me up. I normally wouldn't care but it's my home system and the timer is for 6 days. Kinda lame.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer

X-Ultron posted:

So somehow I accidentally murdered someone in a RES. How can I get rid of the bounty?

I'm reading conflicting reports that if I buy a cheap Sidewinder and let the police/NPC take me out that'll just give me a "dormant bounty" which the police can see and still blow me up. I normally wouldn't care but it's my home system and the timer is for 6 days. Kinda lame.

You stay out of that system for a week, sorry.

Getting yourself killed in a sidewinder was exploited to logical extreme and thus nerfed.
So now when youre killed, the bounty goes "dormant" which means youre not wanted but the timer is up and refreshed up to maximum duration upon getting police-scanned.
They dont see it instant like "wanted", but once they finish a scan youre getting killed again for a crime you have possibly been killed 5 times over.

Just hang out with your neighbours for a bit.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

YellerBill posted:

70% of the playerbase on the E:D forums are too stupid to value their own time. I'm not sure if that's a majority of the game's active playerbase or not, and it's not like anything would change if it wasn't because :frontear: only listens to the forums.

Have you ever played Elite: Dangerous?

Tsar Mikey
Nov 30, 2005

When will then be now?

Yolomon Wayne posted:

You stay out of that system for a week, sorry.

Getting yourself killed in a sidewinder was exploited to logical extreme and thus nerfed.
So now when youre killed, the bounty goes "dormant" which means youre not wanted but the timer is up and refreshed up to maximum duration upon getting police-scanned.
They dont see it instant like "wanted", but once they finish a scan youre getting killed again for a crime you have possibly been killed 5 times over.

Just hang out with your neighbours for a bit.

Ah, dang. Thanks. Only reason I really care is all my good ships are in that system. Oh, well.

Is there a Federation equivalent to the Imperial Wu Guinagi/HIP 10716 systems for ranking up?

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

X-Ultron posted:

So somehow I accidentally murdered someone in a RES.
"And before I knew it, my multicannons were out of ammo and his powerplant exploded your honour".

Tsar Mikey
Nov 30, 2005

When will then be now?

tooterfish posted:

"And before I knew it, my multicannons were out of ammo and his powerplant exploded your honour".

It wasn't me, it was the one-armed man!

I shot the target everyone else was shooting a split second before the scan finished, and then when I got the assault bounty I bolted. 20 seconds later when I was out of mass lock, the ship blew up and I got a murder credit right as I was jumping to the next system over. It'll teach me to be impatient!

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I realise the thread has moved on a couple pages and this is old news but I thought it was worth sharing. Remember that SEPP guy screaming about EGP putting a banana sticker on his cardboard box pretend home system?

He exploded after 59 pages of his thread not having the outcome he expected and had a mod close it.
https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/287437-Enemy-inside-the-gates-Frontier-please-rethink-this/page59

Gave me a laugh anyway.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

X-Ultron posted:

Ah, dang. Thanks. Only reason I really care is all my good ships are in that system. Oh, well.

Is there a Federation equivalent to the Imperial Wu Guinagi/HIP 10716 systems for ranking up?

You can get a sidewinder next door and boost your way to freedom imo.
Ive yet to get successfully scanned on my way out.

Not that i know of, but this will be my next project as my pet-project cutter is basically finished now and i think i need a corvette.
Dont know what for, i might have pokemon syndrome.

Zest
May 7, 2007

ACHIEVE HEAVEN THROUGH VIOLENCE
So, after much puttering around outside the bubble tonight to grab a couple mil to rank up Sirius, I found and slapped my name on this:

:neckbeard:

Then I turned my 2 mil and change into Avik. Result: dickall. Started at neutral, still at neutral.

:saddowns:

gently caress you Marco, and your pissant cronies :sigh:

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Zest posted:

This is accurate. It doesn't even matter if you interacted with him or not or if he caused any problems and didn't work as expected. It's just accurate by default.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Zest posted:

So, after much puttering around outside the bubble tonight to grab a couple mil to rank up Sirius, I found and slapped my name on this:

:neckbeard:

Then I turned my 2 mil and change into Avik. Result: dickall. Started at neutral, still at neutral.

:saddowns:

Sothis has Sirius corp, just saying.
I was allied with them just from pushing their faction for missions, so get over to sothis and play mailman for 2 hours.

Friction
Aug 15, 2001

TorakFade posted:

Wait, even at 0 throttle you go 30 km/s iirc, that means you have to approach within 3-4 seconds of falling in the black hole and drop to normal space to observe its effects?

gently caress that. Doesn't it also fry you? Never been close to a black hole myself, I am too much of a pussy to explore space.

I've hit the body exclusion zone of a black hole in normal space with no ill effects. Can't get closer than that. Black holes are remarkably cool. Mind yor fsd heat on exit tho. Also never ever try this with neutron stars. They have all the heat black holes lack

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Is ramming in a clipper still a viable combat tactic?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Parallelwoody posted:

Ramming is always the answer, especially when you have the mass of an anaconda/corvette (I forget which) in one of the fastest ships in game.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

DancingShade posted:

Ahahaha I get it.

SEPP was the big anti GALCOP banner that everyone not EGP rallied to to ensure GALCOP didn't win. Or they rallied to that banner and promoted it. I forget.

Now EGP who won instead of GALCOP are getting SEPP's home system as a powerplay control point and they're now officially minions/clients of EGP. loving lol.

Oh apparently the OP of that thread was banned somewhere in the first 37 pages.
Wait, someone told me a while back in thread that Diamond Frogs' faction won the games thing. I thought that was GALCOP??

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Parallelwoody posted:

The Ai certainly thinks so.
Closely followed by kamikaze-raised federals, those assault ships man....

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
loving hell, 1000 materials is not enough. I know! I'll just go grind some engineers. I'll get rid of materials, do something I needed to anyway AND maybe pick up some minor upgrades!

*two hours later*

Why are all my things rare junk used in tier 4/5 but never the things I want in tier 4/5. :(

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal
I voted for ship transfer times and I feel pleased as punch with myself

edit: Another Imperial Rank achieved, I want to die

Trustworthy fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Sep 13, 2016

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Trustworthy posted:

Well, some kind of punch is definitely in order. It may even help with that second problem…

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Trustworthy posted:

Nonono, "i want to die" comes shortly after "this is poo poo for combat and the limited jumprange puts it on par with the anacondas smaller cargo hold and i wouldnt have needed the grind for an anaconda and actually i think the corvette does what i expected from the cutter gently caress im gonna grind the federals now".

Zest
May 7, 2007

ACHIEVE HEAVEN THROUGH VIOLENCE

Mailer posted:

loving hell, 1000 materials is not enough. I know! I'll just go grind some engineers. I'll get rid of materials, do something I needed to anyway AND maybe pick up some minor upgrades!

*two hours later*

Why are all my things rare junk used in tier 4/5 but never the things I want in tier 4/5. :(

^this. I've got plenty of odd, rare poo poo, but I'm running out of places to put it :saddowns:

That aside, I'm only hoping that all the bullshit about ship transfers has hopefully distracted the fixed-income no-lifers from the fact that we'll finally actually being able to properly warehouse poo poo. Now if Frontier could just get a damned real trade interface, we'd be in business.

Also: Why is there not an FSD spin-up mod? Seems like a logical choice for explorers and traders, so they can get from system to system faster.

oh wait :frontear:

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Zest posted:

Also: Why is there not an FSD spin-up mod? Seems like a logical choice for explorers and traders, so they can get from system to system faster.

oh wait :frontear:

Because nobody would take it over +jumprange

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
What's the deal with the little flying drone things surrounding barnacles? Spent like 2 full hours last night trying to locate a barnacle (getting to a specific lat/lng with a buggy is surprisingly difficult!), and then when I did locate the barnacle, the little drones blasted me to pieces in seconds!

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

Yolomon Wayne posted:

I would take an FSD mod that made interdiction impossible. I'd even use it if it lowered the range.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Yolomon Wayne posted:

To be honest, I thought that's what the Faster FSD-Boot Sequence does, because the thought that someone could want their FSD to restart faster instead of shorter jump spool up times never crossed my head.

Now that I know what it does, I still can't quite grasp why :frontear: wasted time and effort on what I quite frankly think is the most useless engineering upgrade ever thought up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

Libluini posted:

To be honest, I thought that's what the Faster FSD-Boot Sequence does, because the thought that someone could want their FSD to restart faster instead of shorter jump spool up times never crossed my head.

Now that I know what it does, I still can't quite grasp why :frontear: wasted time and effort on what I quite frankly think is the most useless engineering upgrade ever thought up.

I think the idea was that power hungry builds that needed to power down their FSD to deploy weapons would want it.

• Locked thread