Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!
Their version of Pimp My Ride is pretty half-assed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The gooniest Honda carrying the gooniest cabinet? Yeah, you just beat a poster here to the punch

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future
Kind of a random/niche question but I live in Japan and want to order an SD2SNES when they go on sale on Black Friday.
My issue is that flashcarts were made illegal a few years back after Nintendo pushed a case through. I think at first it was just prohibiting the sale of flashcarts because of shops in Akihabara, but was extended to include importing from overseas as well.

Never heard of anyone getting personally nailed for something like this, but I've heard horror stories of customs letting contraband through and waiting until the recipient signs for the package to be delivered and punishing them after.

Anyone have any experience with this? Am I worrying too much? Might ship it to my folks in Canada and just wait until I go home and visit in a year or two.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

While I'm sure the law is a lot more "absolute" and all-encompassing, is the main point of focus things like DS and 3DS flash carts? Or have people experienced difficulty with older-style ones?

I also highly doubt that it's scrutinized THAT heavily, like if the SD2SNES was in a normal cart shell with a normal label I can't see them catching that.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

Maybe email one of the people selling them? Isn't Krikzz pretty responsive? Stoneagegamer people too. They may have some knowledge/experience in this area.

XtraSmiley
Oct 4, 2002

Pegnose Pete posted:

Kind of a random/niche question but I live in Japan and want to order an SD2SNES when they go on sale on Black Friday.
My issue is that flashcarts were made illegal a few years back after Nintendo pushed a case through. I think at first it was just prohibiting the sale of flashcarts because of shops in Akihabara, but was extended to include importing from overseas as well.

Never heard of anyone getting personally nailed for something like this, but I've heard horror stories of customs letting contraband through and waiting until the recipient signs for the package to be delivered and punishing them after.

Anyone have any experience with this? Am I worrying too much? Might ship it to my folks in Canada and just wait until I go home and visit in a year or two.

I actually order 2 every year during BF myself! I'd be happy to bring it to you as I come to Tokyo for work (from Hawaii) or mail it to you if you like. You'd have to cover all the costs/shipping, but if it helps you out I'd be happy to do it.

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future

XtraSmiley posted:

I actually order 2 every year during BF myself! I'd be happy to bring it to you as I come to Tokyo for work (from Hawaii) or mail it to you if you like. You'd have to cover all the costs/shipping, but if it helps you out I'd be happy to do it.

That is very kind, I may take you up on that!

You mean you order 2 into Japan every year?
I actually ordered one of those custom back lit GBAs with an Everdrive when I didn't know the laws here. It made it through fine and I'm still a free man, so I assume they aren't checking for old stuff too carefully. Even the DS cart thing was about 4 or 5 years ago so I bet they are more concerned with 3DS ones now.

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Pegnose Pete posted:

I actually ordered one of those custom back lit GBAs with an Everdrive when I didn't know the laws here. It made it through fine and I'm still a free man, so I assume they aren't checking for old stuff too carefully. Even the DS cart thing was about 4 or 5 years ago so I bet they are more concerned with 3DS ones now.

If I had to venture a guess (putting aside the obvious likelihood that Japanese customs officials aren't prioritizing them that much), I imagine they might look at packages coming from near countries in east Asia for that sort of thing, rather than packages from Ukraine or the US or some other plausible doubt country of origin.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Kthulhu5000 posted:

If I had to venture a guess (putting aside the obvious likelihood that Japanese customs officials aren't prioritizing them that much), I imagine they might look at packages coming from near countries in east Asia for that sort of thing, rather than packages from Ukraine or the US or some other plausible doubt country of origin.

This somewhat rings true. Out of all things I've imported from multiple different countries, only one package was ever investigated because it came from Venezuela where packages are always suspect of having drugs in them.

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future

Kthulhu5000 posted:

Yeah I have heard packages coming in from China get inspected far more than other countries. My GBA/Everdrive came from Montreal. No idea where Ukraine ranks on the sketch charts though.

XtraSmiley
Oct 4, 2002

Pegnose Pete posted:

No, I mean during BF I order two everdrives. I live in HI, I only visit Japan. I had no idea Flashcarts were illegal. That's interesting.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
I did six months in a Japanese Penal Camp for importing a Flash cart, ask me anything.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*

XtraSmiley posted:

No, I mean during BF I order two everdrives. I live in HI, I only visit Japan. I had no idea Flashcarts were illegal. That's interesting.

I tried selling my Sky 3DS on eBay and received a strongly-worded email from eBay c/o Nintendo about it. They may very well be illegal in NA now, too. I read a story recently about how they're illegal in Canada now but unsure about US. I just don't need it anymore because I sold off most of my games and can bring my entire collection with me when I travel. I wasn't even including a microsd card with it.

MediumWellDone
Oct 4, 2010

おいしいよね〜
ソースがね〜
濃厚だね〜

Pegnose Pete posted:

I've ordered three different everdrives from the Ukraine at three different times while living in Japan, and I know of at least two others entering without issue. I'd say you'll be fine.

As for what you said, I did know of an English teacher who ordered in some weed seeds, then 6 months later had his door kicked in and had six cops storm his tiny apartment.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

XtraSmiley posted:

Why though? Every year? You order not 1, not 3, but exactly 2? What do you need exactly 2 per year every year for?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Bloodplay it again posted:

I tried selling my Sky 3DS on eBay and received a strongly-worded email from eBay c/o Nintendo about it. They may very well be illegal in NA now, too. I read a story recently about how they're illegal in Canada now but unsure about US. I just don't need it anymore because I sold off most of my games and can bring my entire collection with me when I travel. I wasn't even including a microsd card with it.

Nintendo obviously does have their eyes on flash cart sales, but flash carts do fall under eBay's ToS in wherein any devices like them are banned from sale on eBay's platform.

XtraSmiley
Oct 4, 2002

BattleMaster posted:

Why though? Every year? You order not 1, not 3, but exactly 2? What do you need exactly 2 per year every year for?

It's not about cost really. I'm slowly building up my retro collection and although I can, I don't want to go hog wild on the Everdrives. I want to enjoy them as I play, and having access to everything all at once is too much for me! As to why 2 not just 1, well, 1 a year is a long time, I think 2 is a good number to hold me out to the next BF deal! This year I got back into SNES and Master System, so I will probably finally pull the trigger on the SD2SNES and maybe the ME, but maybe I'll go the route of the Gameboy... who knows!

XtraSmiley
Oct 4, 2002

Also, to be clear, I get 2 different ones, not just the same every year!

Anyway, enough about my Everdrive buying habits. Any of you guys ever played Ghost Chaser Densei? I thought TMNT 4 was the best brawler on the SNES, but I think this is my new favorite. Anyone have one that tops it?

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Nintendo obviously does have their eyes on flash cart sales, but flash carts do fall under eBay's ToS in wherein any devices like them are banned from sale on eBay's platform.

Has this been a thing for a while? I'm 99% sure I bought it from an eBay listing in the first place. Obviously I'm not relisting it again but I'm just curious. The email basically said to email Nintendo's piracy department with any questions and didn't reference any ToS violation, which is why I ask.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

XtraSmiley posted:

Anyway, enough about my Everdrive buying habits. Any of you guys ever played Ghost Chaser Densei? I thought TMNT 4 was the best brawler on the SNES, but I think this is my new favorite. Anyone have one that tops it?

Ghost Chaser Densei is a port of an arcade game called Denjin Makai and they had to cut out a lot of content for the port, so definitely check out the original arcade game (and the sequel which is just as good if not better). Even as hacked up as the port is, it really might be the best brawler on SNES/SFC.

If you want something weird, try Gourmet Sentai Bara Yarou - it was made by the Cho Aniki people and it's not much fun to play but it's packed with goofy bullshit.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

XtraSmiley posted:

It's not about cost really. I'm slowly building up my retro collection and although I can, I don't want to go hog wild on the Everdrives. I want to enjoy them as I play, and having access to everything all at once is too much for me! As to why 2 not just 1, well, 1 a year is a long time, I think 2 is a good number to hold me out to the next BF deal! This year I got back into SNES and Master System, so I will probably finally pull the trigger on the SD2SNES and maybe the ME, but maybe I'll go the route of the Gameboy... who knows!

Wait, black friday deals? Is that common with Everdrives? I've been considering geting an SD2SNES but it's drat expensive, some sort of sale would make that easier to swallow.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Xenomrph posted:

Wait, black friday deals? Is that common with Everdrives? I've been considering geting an SD2SNES but it's drat expensive, some sort of sale would make that easier to swallow.

every year

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Well poo poo, most years I ignore Black Friday because I've got enough crap as it is, but this year I might have to work an SD2SNES into the budget.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Bloodplay it again posted:

Has this been a thing for a while? I'm 99% sure I bought it from an eBay listing in the first place. Obviously I'm not relisting it again but I'm just curious. The email basically said to email Nintendo's piracy department with any questions and didn't reference any ToS violation, which is why I ask.

It's definitely in the ToS, considered under "Encouraging Illegal Activity". It's not heavily enforced because it depends on user reports or copyright holders. eBay doesn't have the resources to filter everything that gets posted. Since 2009 since it was considered against the rules at the behest of Nintendo.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

There are still a shitload of flash carts being sold on ebay - I got an sd2snes and mega everdrive on there.

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Breadallelogram posted:

There are still a shitload of flash carts being sold on ebay - I got an sd2snes and mega everdrive on there.

The key difference is that those are for 25 year old hardware that Nintendo and Sega aren't supporting or making any money with today. It's a situation wherein trying to aggressively police and shutdown retro flashcarts won't make them any money in sales conversions; they won't see an uptick in 3DS or other new hardware sales solely for retro games, and stuff like the Virtual Console isn't their main sales driving method anyway compared to wanting to sell new and native 3DS games.

Conversely, 3DS flashcarts do compete with their current revenue stream, making it worth their time to disrupt sales of such as much as they can.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

Everyone knows Flashcarts are only for running home-brew.... so just make sure your listings stipulate its for running home-brew.

They are still legal in the US, since they are for running home-brew. Its not like they are those black market cable boxes that sole purpose is to steal cable, or those blue boxes that got you free phone calls.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

XtraSmiley posted:

but maybe I'll go the route of the Gameboy... who knows!
You know you want to. All those sweet sweet handheld games like uh dragon warrior, beatmania, wizardry, mega man,

FireMrshlBill posted:

Everyone knows Flashcarts are only for running home-brew.... so just make sure your listings stipulate its for running home-brew.
And lsdj for your chiptunes career?

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

90s Cringe Rock posted:

And lsdj for your chiptunes career?

Exactly, homebrew

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.

Random Stranger posted:

Someone is in for some fun.

Do you have the Sega Ages version of the original game? It's one of the better packages in the series for having a lot of features and some interesting extra modes (including Altered Beast for those weirdos). I guess that makes up for not being able to include the Die Hard stuff.

Kind of a shame that Sega hasn't tried to revive the series since it really feels like it was running a bit ahead of its time.

No, it's still on the list of "games I need to buy" but this one just popped up while I was at Kombat Kon, a small convention that Galloping Ghost set up for Mortal Kombat diehards - I was mostly there to help my friend set up her booth miserably early on a Saturday and leave, but I snagged that before I left.

But that last part of what you said made me think about how great it is and then I thought about how great it would be with Yakuza team on it (I came to this conclusion due to the perceived "wackiness" levels) and holy poo poo how amazing would that be, you know?

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

8-bit Miniboss posted:

It's definitely in the ToS, considered under "Encouraging Illegal Activity". It's not heavily enforced because it depends on user reports or copyright holders. eBay doesn't have the resources to filter everything that gets posted. Since 2009 since it was considered against the rules at the behest of Nintendo.

I once sold an N3DS and I advertised in the title that it had 9.0 firmware. It wasn't hacked or anything, it merely mentioned the firmware version in the title.

FOUR MONTHS LATER eBay sends me an angry message about copyright and how Nintendo filed a claim against my auction bla bla bla and eBay said "we've removed your auction and refunded your listing and final value fees" on an auction I already got paid for four months earlier.

Thanks for free $22, Nintendo!

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

That's a nice CRX

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

Sir Tonk posted:

That's a nice CRX

thats an oxymoron

Cubivore_
Nov 6, 2013

is it ok to use a japanese power plug on us outlets? my japanese saturn arrived today and just want to make sure. i don't want to gently caress it up

Acolyte!
Aug 6, 2001

Go! Rocket Kiwi! Go!
The short answer is it's fine.

Cubivore_
Nov 6, 2013

Acolyte! posted:

The short answer is it's fine.

ok thanks

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Cubivore_ posted:

is it ok to use a japanese power plug on us outlets? my japanese saturn arrived today and just want to make sure. i don't want to gently caress it up

It's the same power. The only things you really need to worry about is like pre-80s stuff (which you probably won't be picking up) or if you know your house has weird outlets that are putting out significantly above 120 volt power.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
The Saturn also has an internal power supply so switching it is complicated.

Cubivore_
Nov 6, 2013

Well, it didn't blow up.

Won it on Yahoo auctions for 1500 yen (about $13) and it's in great shape. Box is a little beat up but console looks new.

Always wanted to play Magic Knight Rayearth, so I got it and a few other things.

Looks ok using my lovely scart to hdmi upscaler

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
The extended answer as to the electricity is like this:

Japan's nominal voltage is 100 volt and the frequency is either 60 hz in the west and 50 hz in the east because of historic system reasons. Since Tokyo is in the 50 hz region but most of the other big cities are in the 60 hz region, all major consumer products can use either frequency.

Canada and America's nominal voltage is 120 volt and the frequency is always 60 hz now. In older times, there were actually several major areas that were on 50 hz like Los Angeles and Southern California in general, but those were all converted over by the 60s.

However, the actual power you get from the wall socket in Japan is going to vary from 90-115 volts or so, and thus most equipment since like the 70s is going to handle that range just fine. And similarly the actual wall power in the US is often 115 volt nominal and the actual supply out of the wall varies between 105 and 130 volts, with service between 110 and 115 volts being very popular, and service at above 120 volts being very rare.

So basically the kinds of manufacturing tolerances that consumer equipment needs to handle in Japan and the US usually means that equipment from one country runs just fine in the other. You generally only get into issues when using very high power equipment, like say old US high-watt incandescent lightbulbs might be noticeably dim in Japan, or a window air conditioner from the US might not be able to draw enough power to work properly in Japan. And things like electric heaters are not usually safe to bring back and forth.

Also incidentally, Mexico does 127 volt nominal output on the same plugs the US/Canada/Japan uses. Once again though it's usually not an issue for anything modern, both because of design tolerances and because of the fact that the supply is usually lower than the nominal voltage.

• Locked thread