Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation
Slowly upgrading all my gear this term. Dealer pricing through my "work study" nabbed me a cheap pair of alpine stars sp1 gloves! Yay!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tactical Lesbian
Mar 31, 2012

-Inu- posted:

Thanks for the well wishes, folksies. I wasn't posting here for sympathy but I've learned to accept that people are actually being genuine about that sort of thing :)

I've been mulling over what I could possibly even say to you over the past couple of days and I've come to the conclusion there's nothing I can say. When I first read your initial post where you said your lifespan was measured in "weeks, not months or years", I honestly thought I was going to cry. I wish only the best for you!!! I hope you can do all the crazy poo poo you've always wanted to do before it's time to move on. <3

Squirrel Burger
Jul 19, 2011

nobody likes a rotten pumbo

Tactical Lesbian posted:

I've been mulling over what I could possibly even say to you over the past couple of days and I've come to the conclusion there's nothing I can say. When I first read your initial post where you said your lifespan was measured in "weeks, not months or years", I honestly thought I was going to cry. I wish only the best for you!!! I hope you can do all the crazy poo poo you've always wanted to do before it's time to move on. <3

Says a lot about a guy who's staring down such a long barrel and says "get me to the track."

Inu rules hardcore, that's all I can ask for someone.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Squirrel Burger posted:

Inu rules hardcore

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Tactical Lesbian posted:

I've been mulling over what I could possibly even say to you over the past couple of days and I've come to the conclusion there's nothing I can say.

Basically, this.

Squirrel Burger posted:

Says a lot about a guy who's staring down such a long barrel and says "get me to the track."

Also this.

Zeppelin Insanity
Oct 28, 2009

Wahnsinn
Einfach
Wahnsinn
I received a Bell RS-1 and it's got a tiiiny little chip on the chin area. It's less than a millimetre in diameter. I can see a little bit of white on the side, where it's the "side" of the paint, and I can see through to the grey layer underneath.

Could this be purely cosmetic (in which case I don't care), or would this compromise the integrity and I should return it immediately?

And yes, Inu, you're awesome. Hang in there.

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS
It's almost surely a chip in the paint and hasn't compromised the integrity of the shell itself. Plus, a ~1mm chip in the shell wouldn't be a MASSIVE deal, considering the shell's purpose is just initial impact dispersion. With that said, if there's another avaliable in the same color/size, I'd swap it out. Better safe than sorry.

Tactical Lesbian
Mar 31, 2012

Squirrel Burger posted:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

erm... actually thieves should be summarily executed
I'm looking for a pair of boots that have a good level of protection for everyday use, fit on the narrow side, are suitable for walking around in, and are aesthetically subtle. Currently high on my list is something like the Dainese Nighthawk, which has the added benefit of being waterproof:

What else should I be cross-shopping?

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
I was looking at a pair of Falcos before Christmas to fit the same criteria, specifically Pepper 2, though they've got quite a few different boots that could fit the bill.

The one that wasn't damaged seemed pretty comfortable, for all of being a size too big. Quite a bit of heel on them, but didn't feel particularly more clumpy than any new shoes. Ended up sending them back without ordering a replacement pair because I suddenly ran out of money for six hundred cubic reasons :v:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Dianese TRQ Tour. They're a touch more flashy (although you could remove the sliders for less flash). Good ankle support/protection, waterproof.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

TRQ-Tours look great. I'm going to go to the D-store and check them out for sizing. In the meantime, it seems like you can save over a hundred dollars getting them from european resellers I've never heard of: E.g. http://www.motostorm.it/en/clothing/boots/dainese-trq-tour-goretex.html

Works out to about $240 after shipping there, while Revzilla wants 329+sh and I assume the D-store is going to be on that level. What's going on?

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

It's largely due to exchange rates and is going to be hit-or-miss depending on the materials of the garment and what state you're in. That is, you may or may not get whacked with customs charges from FedEx at a later date.

TRQ Tours fit narrow and are without question the best GTX boot on the market. They have more ankle protection than the Daytona Road Star/M Star's, for all the sense that makes. Why no one else is capable of putting lateral ankle support in a reasonably priced boot, I don't know. TRQ Tours are by far our #1 recommended boot, for good reason.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Once I stop being lazy and go down to the D-store, I'm buying a set to compliment my Daytonas on rain days.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Sagebrush posted:

I'm going to go to the D-store

lmao do they really call it that :dong:

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
The helmets are more of a round fit there.

Lexorin
Jul 5, 2000

Sagebrush posted:

Works out to about $240 after shipping there, while Revzilla wants 329+sh and I assume the D-store is going to be on that level. What's going on?

Mostly it's import duties that you have to pay upon receiving, but that's only on things valued at 200$ or more. You also assume a bit of risk in that getting an exchange will be expensive for shipping and you'll have to pay import duties again to get it back (they might ask you to pay duties to export it back to them as well). So revzilla is jacking up it's price to cover import fees and that risk. You'll probably still be able to get it cheaper, but you know...

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!

Pope Mobile posted:

The helmets are more of a round fit there.

You'd think they'd stock Bell helmets.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

So I went and tried on the TRQ-Tours at the :dong:-store. Nice boots, great ankle support. It really is amazing how much more dramatic the ankle support is in them vs. the lower-end boots and some other brands, which you can fold in half. So I really like that.

I often have a problem buying shoes and boots because my left foot is half a size longer than my right. In these boots, 44s fit my left foot, 43s fit my right. Overall, 43s fit more snugly, but my left toes feel a little cramped in the end. How much will this loosen up over time? Because there isn't a lot of adjustability, and I'm not sure if the plastic toe armor means there's no room for the boots to break in. I know the general rule with motorcycle gear is to go on the tighter side, but I also don't want my toes to end up numb on a long ride.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

They'll loosen up a bit. If they're just on the tight side of comfortable, you'll be ok, otherwise I'd go a size up. Also could see if they'll sell you the odd sizes :)

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

Having two different sized feet is more common than you'd think. I usually recommend sizing based on your bigger foot. Tighter is generally better, but boots are somewhat of an exception. While a full leather boot will break-in somewhat, boots are much more rigid than other pieces of gear and your toebox problem won't be fixed by break-in. I obviously can't be 100% confident doing this online, but I'd say that you will be happier with the 44's. If your foot feels cramped in the store, you're going to be hosed after you're out riding for an hour.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Having one foot half a size larger than the other sucks. Did have a lady in whose feet were 1.5 sizes off from each other :pwn:

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram

Tactical Lesbian posted:

Seconded. :3:

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

Sagebrush posted:

So I went and tried on the TRQ-Tours at the :dong:-store. Nice boots, great ankle support. It really is amazing how much more dramatic the ankle support is in them vs. the lower-end boots and some other brands, which you can fold in half. So I really like that.

I often have a problem buying shoes and boots because my left foot is half a size longer than my right. In these boots, 44s fit my left foot, 43s fit my right. Overall, 43s fit more snugly, but my left toes feel a little cramped in the end. How much will this loosen up over time? Because there isn't a lot of adjustability, and I'm not sure if the plastic toe armor means there's no room for the boots to break in. I know the general rule with motorcycle gear is to go on the tighter side, but I also don't want my toes to end up numb on a long ride.

Are they comfortable enough just walking in? I'm looking for something I can ride to school/work in and still be comfortable walking around in. Was looking at the A* sp1 shoes but they don't look that protective. I can keep works shoes for when I'm wrenching but school is harder to have a good place to leave your stuff without it walking off.

These Bates just caught my eye because I've worn Bates boots for a while and I know they are comfy, but do they have decent protection? Whoever it was that just got a job at revzilla, have you seen these? What are your thoughts?

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/bates-adrenaline-boots

Squirrel Burger
Jul 19, 2011

Is there any sort of timeline for the 2016 Sena product line? I'm jonesing for a 10c but realize it's probably best to wait for this year's iteration/close out sales.

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

Squirrel Burger posted:

Is there any sort of timeline for the 2016 Sena product line? I'm jonesing for a 10c but realize it's probably best to wait for this year's iteration/close out sales.
10S just came out. Beyond that I'm not sure and not currently working to find out more.

OMGMYSPLEEN
Jul 12, 2009

Rawwwwhiiiiide
College Slice
Speaking of Sena headsets, I have really specific situation question that maybe someone has run into. I have a Sena SMH10, and a Nexus 6P phone. It has a hell of a time pairing to it, and when I finally got it to, it was working fine. Suddenly, it became mono (right speaker only), yet when I went to turn it off, the goodbye voice was in stereo, so I know the speakers are fine. Anyone have something like this? I'm inclined to blame the phone, as it worked great with my Droid Turbo.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
Continue deleting and repairing until it works properly. My 5x was hosed up until I finally got it to work right

OMGMYSPLEEN
Jul 12, 2009

Rawwwwhiiiiide
College Slice

Razzled posted:

Continue deleting and repairing until it works properly. My 5x was hosed up until I finally got it to work right

Fun. I've actually decided to grab a 50 dollar Moto E to use on the bike so there is no chance my 600 dollar 6P somehow goes flying.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
I'm so glad I got the sena 20s after my old scala g9. It was so slooow to pair and the volume/ quality on the connection was so drat random even with only one other unit. It serious took randomly 30sec-2 min for 2 g9 units bought as a pair to maaaybe connect with no cues that it was actually working on it. It was so drat fun to have a random dropout and curse at the things maybe doing something waiting in the sun with full gear on in the middle of summer.

The sena is not totally without fault either, but it's more minor stuff.
It's battery lasts longer, but it's more sensitive towards hard blocked line of sight, like riding along a cliff side road and getting an outcrop between the users.
If you feed it 0.5 amp from a pc usb port it will not charge at all, more like slowly discharge.
The spring loaded pins in the dock on the helm can get dirty. I had a random dropout of output of audio to the helmet speakers, usually solveable by docking/undocking the main unit. It turned out one of the pins was sometimes stuck pressed down as you press them down when you connect the main unit, then they rise up with the unit as it clicks into place.

the new firmware update for the 20s added support for 2 A2DP connections. so more flexibility with connected units. Which means I can run the sena with my phone + gps + my bother on his sena and pipe all audio to my garmin virb xe.

Supradog fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Jan 26, 2016

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro

ninmeister posted:

Fun. I've actually decided to grab a 50 dollar Moto E to use on the bike so there is no chance my 600 dollar 6P somehow goes flying.

This is a very smart decision given what just happened to Schroeder91.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

ninmeister posted:

Speaking of Sena headsets, I have really specific situation question that maybe someone has run into. I have a Sena SMH10, and a Nexus 6P phone. It has a hell of a time pairing to it, and when I finally got it to, it was working fine. Suddenly, it became mono (right speaker only), yet when I went to turn it off, the goodbye voice was in stereo, so I know the speakers are fine. Anyone have something like this? I'm inclined to blame the phone, as it worked great with my Droid Turbo.

I had this happen with a 10C, no idea how to fix it, took it into the shop I got it from to see if they knew and they just gave me a new one. Factory reset, nothing fixed it.

MonkeyHate
Oct 11, 2002

Dance, monkey, dance!
Taco Defender
For winter riding, I've been relying on a pair of warm-n-safe glove liners under some insulated waterproof gauntlets. They were ok, but really never felt warm enough. Finally, one of them died and I decided pick up a Gerbing T5 hybrid gloves. I don't know why, but I'd always figured the glove liners would be the warmest option, as they're held tighter against the skin so the T5s were a bit of a gamble for me.

Holy crap. Difference is night and day. My hands were borderline too warm today and I had to turn the heat down on gloves for the first time ever. Plus no more juggling two pair of gloves. According to my ammeter they're somehow also drawing slightly less power from the bike. Love love love these gloves.

So now the only piece of gear I'm not 100% happy with is my neck protection. Have tried a few different balaclavas and gaiters but so far I haven't found the right combo of waterproof and fit. I seem to have to choose between air getting under the bottom edge (tail too short), it leaving my chin too exposed (top too low) or it soaking up water and getting my shirt front/collar wet. Also, I wear earbuds so that means I can't wear the full hooded kind. Any suggestions?

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

MonkeyHate posted:

So now the only piece of gear I'm not 100% happy with is my neck protection. Have tried a few different balaclavas and gaiters but so far I haven't found the right combo of waterproof and fit. I seem to have to choose between air getting under the bottom edge (tail too short), it leaving my chin too exposed (top too low) or it soaking up water and getting my shirt front/collar wet. Also, I wear earbuds so that means I can't wear the full hooded kind. Any suggestions?

I like the Cyclone Buff a lot. It's Windstopper fabric which is water resistant enough for just being the thing that goes around your neck. Also lets you pull it up into a mask/balaclava type thing if you want while still having the Windstopper fabric around your neck without any gaps.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

M. Night Skymall posted:

I like the Cyclone Buff a lot. It's Windstopper fabric which is water resistant enough for just being the thing that goes around your neck. Also lets you pull it up into a mask/balaclava type thing if you want while still having the Windstopper fabric around your neck without any gaps.

I have one of these and it revolutionized winter commuting for me.

I don't think it's specifically waterproof but I've never had it soak, and though I have a short commute, I do live in Seattle so it's seen plenty of rain. Obviously that'll depend a lot on helmet/jacket/bike combination though.

Squirrel Burger
Jul 19, 2011

MonkeyHate posted:

For winter riding, I've been relying on a pair of warm-n-safe glove liners under some insulated waterproof gauntlets. They were ok, but really never felt warm enough. Finally, one of them died and I decided pick up a Gerbing T5 hybrid gloves. I don't know why, but I'd always figured the glove liners would be the warmest option, as they're held tighter against the skin so the T5s were a bit of a gamble for me.

Holy crap. Difference is night and day. My hands were borderline too warm today and I had to turn the heat down on gloves for the first time ever. Plus no more juggling two pair of gloves. According to my ammeter they're somehow also drawing slightly less power from the bike. Love love love these gloves.

Pair the gloves with the jacket liner. It has a high collar for neck warmth.

MonkeyHate
Oct 11, 2002

Dance, monkey, dance!
Taco Defender

M. Night Skymall posted:

I'm afraid that looks like it's in the "tail too short" category that leaves a little triangle between my collarbones exposed and also funnels water down the top of my jacket. I need something that would fit over the collar of my jacket to keep the water outside my rain gear. Like a long neck gaiter or dickie except people only seem to make those in fleece.

Am starting to suspect that I'll need to make my own.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

MonkeyHate posted:

How old were the glove liners? I have a pair of warm n safe gloves that are great but I know a while ago they switched the way they made the heating wires and the new ones are better.

I wonder what's different about your gear or position that the cyclone buff doesn't work for you as it works fine for me too.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Sena does have the 10R, which replaces the SMH-10R. It's BT 4.1, can pair with the handlebar remote, and comes with better speakers than the SMH. They sell a kit that includes the 10R and the handlebar remote.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

builds character posted:

I wonder what's different about your gear or position that the cyclone buff doesn't work for you as it works fine for me too.

I need pictures! Pictures of monkeyhate! :spidey: