Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Neat, one of those would be a solution to a problem I face every outing at least once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
I can relate to the "I'm shooing birds at 50', and insects at 3-5 feet. I'll have to see if I swing one way entirely to buy a dedicated macro or not."

I use the EF 100-400mm L USM II with 1.4x

It has a very short MFT (0.98cm) so you can take photos in the field from this

Banded Demoiselle by Aves Lux, on Flickr

to this with the same gear, just change the focus limiter for best AF performance, and close down a bit for closer subjects.

Barn Owl by Aves Lux, on Flickr

However a 1:1 or greater macro lens is only really required for working distances of ~30cm and less

For photos like this

Bumblebee on Chive by Aves Lux, on Flickr

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Yeah, that 100-400 is kind of a grail lens for me. Great shots.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

It’s not strictly photography, but Josef Albers’ ‘Interaction of Color’ has educated artists better than anyone reading this forum for 50 years

Highly recommended

Thank you for the recommendation. I just finished this and I found it a great read! I have a feeling I will still suck with colors, but perhaps I will suck a little less?

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
Crossposting here since the Nikon thread is full of tumbleweeds.

https://nikonrumors.com/2022/07/12/nikon-to-stop-making-dslr-cameras-withdraws-from-slr-development-after-60-years-of-history.aspx/

Not surprising, but it sounds like Nikon is done developing DSLRs. I have too much invested in the F amount to switch to mirrorless anytime soon, specifically as my current gear does everything I need it to.

But I’m sad to see it go.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
No Nikon 870 then. A lot of people were holding out hope.

Makes sense though R&D is expensive and Nikon just do not have the money to do both.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
press F mount to pay respects

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

too lazy to find an f mount picture of this but you get it

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

frogbs posted:

Anyone have any experience getting a TLR CLA'd? What's generally been the turnaround time?

I brought an old Yashica TLR to a relatively new, but well reviewed local repair place back in April of 2021 for a CLA. They said it would be 4-6 weeks. That time went and then some, I called after 2 months and they said "it looks like it's in the next round, you should hear from us soon!". 2 more months and I called again and got more or less the same response. Called a few weeks ago and they said basically the same thing. If their Instagram is anything to go by a ton of cameras move through their shop, so either they're actually incredibly backed up, they keep forgetting about mine, or they lost it? It's not a particularly nice camera or anything i'm sentimental about, but i'm starting to think that I probably won't get it back. It's also fine if it is going to take a year, but I wish they would just tell me that.

So I finally heard from the shop who had my Yashica 24. Apparently they've been trying to source a 'wind side gear for shutter lockup'. They usually source parts from Russia/Ukraine which obviously isn't an option right now so it's been a bit tricky. I'm keeping an eye out for donor cameras.

If anyone here happens to have a dead Yashica 24 laying around definitely let me know!

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Philthy posted:

Yeah, I'm kinda of walking that line of macro vs traditional zoom. I'm shooing birds at 50', and insects at 3-5 feet. I'll have to see if I swing one way entirely to buy a dedicated macro or not.

Those are basically the use cases a Canon EF 100-400L mk2 are made for.

E: FB

Left this reply open way too long. But second that lens for sure.

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

Is there any non-awkward, non-dorky way to change lenses from a backpack? My kit's outgrown my little Lowepro insert and I need to finally get a proper camera bag, but I'm split between a shoulder bag/sling and a backpack. The backpack (seems) like it'd be way more convenient to hike with/do generally outdoors-y stuff with, but just from my own experience of trying to change lenses there's no easy way to bring it around to my front, so changing lenses is this awkward three handed affair that ends with finally giving up and just finding some spot to crouch down on the ground and do it there.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

There's belt holster systems out there which I think might be the fastest way to do it.. but comes at the cost of looking like a mega dork.

The best I got is a backpack with a rear opening (eg, shimoda but they're far from the only option) so I can toss it on the ground and use the bag as a workstation to mess with gear. Any other approach is high stakes juggling that will someday result in smashing a lens on the ground.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
If you are taking pictures with a camera , you're a dork. Everyone seeing you taking pictures thinks you're a dork. Accept it.

I personally have both a sling and a backpack.
The sling is for the camera + 2 lenses. Usually take this for city stuff.
For hiking etc I take the backpack as even if instill only take 2 lenses, the weight is much better distributed.

Both these setups have the side entrance for the camera itself which I prefer for quick access.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

xzzy posted:

There's belt holster systems out there which I think might be the fastest way to do it.. but comes at the cost of looking like a mega dork.

The best I got is a backpack with a rear opening (eg, shimoda but they're far from the only option) so I can toss it on the ground and use the bag as a workstation to mess with gear. Any other approach is high stakes juggling that will someday result in smashing a lens on the ground.
https://www.thinktankphoto.com/collections/rotation-series-backpacks/products/rotation-50l-backpack

p0stal b0b
May 7, 2003

May contain traces of nuts...
I generally find backpacks to be too awkward to access in general, especially for non-landscape uses where you're moving around a lot.

I have a smallish sling bag that fits my micro 4/3rds camera and a few lenses which is great for a general walkabout, but if I need to travel further, I usually end up just putting that whole bag in a comfortable backpack until I get to where I'll be shooting, then pull it out and wear it. It seems like the best of both worlds.

In your case, you could leave your old insert in the backpack with a few of your lower-use lenses, and have a fairly compact sling bag to wear which will hold your camera and maybe one extra lens for easy access.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Stop giving a poo poo about people who think you are a dork because you are pursuing your happiness, and do what works for you.

rockear
Oct 3, 2004

Slippery Tilde
Pentax ME/Super with the belt clip supremacy. (I know this has nothing to do with lenses but the belt clip owns get a 28-85 zoom.)

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

ishikabibble posted:

Is there any non-awkward, non-dorky way to change lenses from a backpack? My kit's outgrown my little Lowepro insert and I need to finally get a proper camera bag, but I'm split between a shoulder bag/sling and a backpack. The backpack (seems) like it'd be way more convenient to hike with/do generally outdoors-y stuff with, but just from my own experience of trying to change lenses there's no easy way to bring it around to my front, so changing lenses is this awkward three handed affair that ends with finally giving up and just finding some spot to crouch down on the ground and do it there.

Something like the Lowepro Slingshot sounds like maybe what you're after. I leave the camera around my neck and second-most-used lens in the side-accessible part, and swap between the two. You do need to set the bag down and unzip the whole thing if you want to get to the other compartments, which tbh doesn't really faze me.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I started lengthening my strap so now my camera when it hangs is down by my hips, and it means a) it's much more comfortable to walk around with out it banging around (compared to like, half way down my torso) b) I have it over one shoulder so it feels really secure, but not just hanging off my neck, and c) it looks cool (I think)

I want to get a fat leather strap and I guess looking badass is extremely important so maybe I should prioritise that

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

I hosed around with shooter harnesses, single point slings and increasingly huge camera straps for years before I ended up just rigging up my own with a guitar strap and some paracord, actually worked out really well with some PD quick release ends because my camera hangs pretty much right at my dominant hand and adjusting it is super easy.

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

This isn't cool at all Looshkin! These are dark forces you're titting about with!

Hello thread! I am an absolute newbie to this, and a big idiot to boot.

I have just bought this lens: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/124015043720 with an adapter for my Fuji X-T20. It turns out, I have no Idea what it's for. I thought it could be a portrait type thing, but it only seems to want to focus waaaay off into the distance. Has anyone used one of these? Does anyone have any advice for a massive loving idiot? I've looked at a couple of youtube videos, but nothing seems to match what I'm getting when I stick this on the body of my camera.

Arguably, I should do some research before buying a lens from the former USSR, but hey, hindsight is 50/3.5

Edit: having played with it more, and trying a different adapter, I think it needs Some Sort Of Spacer, as it simply won't focus in the slightest, no matter what I do or where I point it at. Bah.

Flint_Paper fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Aug 4, 2022

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

The Industar-50 is *supposed* to have a minimum focus distance of a little over half a meter, so if it’s only in focus out at the infinity end it may just be a bad lens. The Soviets made a shitload of them and the production tolerances were not great, add a half century of misuse and most examples are going to be wildly off-spec from each other. That’s why it’s cheap, thankfully.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
Take the lens off the adapter and just hold it free hand and slowly move it back and forth in front of the camera. There will be a point that it becomes in focus. If it will only focus very far away then it's too close to the body of the camera and you need a wider adapter. You can try adding some macro rings. Other than that maybe the lens is broken somehow.

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

This isn't cool at all Looshkin! These are dark forces you're titting about with!

I've found that if I move it ~1cm away from the body it will focus. Time to either get a macro ring or make a daisy chain of adapters!

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Flint_Paper posted:

Hello thread! I am an absolute newbie to this, and a big idiot to boot.

I have just bought this lens: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/124015043720 with an adapter for my Fuji X-T20. It turns out, I have no Idea what it's for. I thought it could be a portrait type thing, but it only seems to want to focus waaaay off into the distance. Has anyone used one of these? Does anyone have any advice for a massive loving idiot? I've looked at a couple of youtube videos, but nothing seems to match what I'm getting when I stick this on the body of my camera.

Arguably, I should do some research before buying a lens from the former USSR, but hey, hindsight is 50/3.5

Edit: having played with it more, and trying a different adapter, I think it needs Some Sort Of Spacer, as it simply won't focus in the slightest, no matter what I do or where I point it at. Bah.

It looks exactly like the lens on my FED-2… but if it’s horribly out of its engraved focus range on the adapter and seems like it should be held further out from the sensor then maybe it was one of the m39 lenses that were specced for the early Zenit SLRs. They were still m39 threaded but with a flange focal distance appropriately far from the film to allow for a mirror box.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

is silver efex still the plugin to use for b/w conversion

it's what i used to use, found it very powerful and roughly analogous (such that it can be) to darkroom work

the one thing i've never been able to replicate in lightroom is photoshop's ability to dodge/burn only highlights/midtones/shadows, but i've not farted around much with the newest lightroom, or this new silver efex

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Yeah, that is just a spacing issue. Mirrorless cameras have a very short flange focal distance.
Edit:missed that last post. I'll, uh, be over here if you need me.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Mega Comrade posted:

No Nikon 870 then. A lot of people were holding out hope.

Makes sense though R&D is expensive and Nikon just do not have the money to do both.

I was going to write something about how you can just switch to a Z body with FTZ but realized that a) price might be an issue and b) if you want really capable AF you need a Z9 which is loving expensive still.

Hopefully there will be a D750 equivalent Z before too long.

LiterallyATomato
Mar 17, 2009

Can anyone recommend a book on the science of photography?

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

LiterallyATomato posted:

Can anyone recommend a book on the science of photography?

Not a book, but a college course:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL7ddpXYvFXspUN0N-gObF1GXoCA-DA-7i

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

Hi, everyone. I'm a very noob DSLR user that got bit by the wildlife photography bug. I mostly shoot birds. I'm currently using an EOS Rebel T3i with the Canon 55-250mm lens. I'm thinking about upgrading my lens. Based on talking a few other bird photographers in my area I've been looking at the Tamron SP 150-600mm. While looking into that I added the Sigma 60-600mm f/4.5-6.3 DG OS HSM Sport to my short list. Anyone have experience with one or both of these?

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

My Sony mirrorless E-mount camera literally floated away in an underwater case while I was diving. So I'm going to learn to stop worrying and love the smartphone camera. Maybe I'll buy a new DSLR, but for now, I'm going to just be lazy and shoot with an iPhone. I have a 7 right now, so I could really use some upgrading.

I don't really post here so I'm not sure how hostile this forum is to smartphone cameras, but if anyone uses them, opinions on the 12 Pro/13 Pro/rumored 14 cameras? I'm going to go to the At&t store after they launch the 14 and get the best bang for my buck in terms of iPhone camera. Mostly I would be using this for landscape photos, but I am also intrigued by the "telephoto" lens on the 13 Pro. The examples I've seen of it have been less than impressive though, so I dunno.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

Hi, everyone. I'm a very noob DSLR user that got bit by the wildlife photography bug. I mostly shoot birds. I'm currently using an EOS Rebel T3i with the Canon 55-250mm lens. I'm thinking about upgrading my lens. Based on talking a few other bird photographers in my area I've been looking at the Tamron SP 150-600mm. While looking into that I added the Sigma 60-600mm f/4.5-6.3 DG OS HSM Sport to my short list. Anyone have experience with one or both of these?

Honestly either one is a solid choice and will keep you happy until you get into the exotic glass. The Sigma will offer a greater range but you will pay a weight penalty for it. If you don't need the wide-normal range I'd recommend the Tamron or one of the equivalents (e.g. Sigma 150-600).

For birds the 60-150 range is pretty pointless so in your case I'd say go Tamron. But be wary of the siren call of the supertele primes.

LiterallyATomato
Mar 17, 2009

Clayton Bigsby posted:

I'd recommend the Tamron or one of the equivalents (e.g. Sigma 150-600).

I don't own it but from my brief use of the sigma 150 - 600, I can confirm it's a great birding lens.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

I have the Tamron 150-600 for my 80D and now R7, I like it a lot despite the AF flaws with the R7.

80D:

Short-Eared Owl by charliebravo77, on Flickr

Short-Eared Owl by charliebravo77, on Flickr

The Grove by charliebravo77, on Flickr

R7:

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
Isn't it a little silly to buy a 4-figure lens with an APS-C sensor? I would've thought that money would be better spent on a camera upgrade but I am an amateur and don't know much about gear.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It's the opposite, spend more money on lenses than the body.. get those photons to the sensor as high quality as possible.

APC-C sensors don't suck anyways, they can be extremely high quality these days.

That said, I'm gonna buck the trend and say I've never been really happy with my Tamron 150-600. It seems to have trouble getting good focus. I have the original though, not the G2.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
Yeah I had the Tamron G1 and it was good but I was happy to move up to the G2. There wasn't anything super specific I could point to (although I like the locking action of the G2), but there were days with the G1 where I had lower keeper rates than I expected focus wise and I couldn't point to a reason why. Then other days it would crush it. It also does better on a nice tripod/gimball head.

I returned the first g2 copy I got right away because it wasn't focusing right but the second one I've had now for 4 years I guess and it's been great.

I can't speak to the sigmas but either Tamron will get you in the game and the g1 is still an awesome value.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

Mines the G2 for reference. Good glass is never the wrong investment over bodies. That said, going from the 80D to R7 was a great improvement in framework rate and stabilization but the image quality isn't necessarily a giant improvement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
I also have the Tamron G2 and am very happy with it for wildlife and birds.