Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
Yeah it seems like there’s never enough pictures!! The squishy baby phase seems like it lasts an eternity at the time, but it really is gone at the blink of an eye.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

take me to the beaver posted:

Congratulations! Make sure to record as much of these early days as possible, my two videos of my newborn daughter have possibly been my most rewatched videos I own. I found out recently how little my partner and I actually remember of the first few months - it's uh, impressive how much your brain just does not work. Such a huge moment in your life and so much change, hold on to what you can!

Yeah it's been proven over and over that sleep deprivation inhibits memory formation

Strong agree though, take several photos and a video every day if you can. That first two months feels like a year but it's gone in the blink of an eye

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.

Super Librarian posted:

This is almost exactly what happened to me (admitted to the hospital a day before 37 weeks with preeclampsia, started induction); don't let yourself worry too much, you're gonna do great!!

We felt 100% caught off guard and unprepared, but he's our first and I think we still would've felt like that even if he didn't come out early. A lot of things will just start falling into place as soon as the lil baby pops out.

Thanks! It's not til Thursday next week, but I'm at an appointment now to check my blood pressure and I've been told they're hanging onto me til the next set of test results come back.

I want to go home. :smith:

A friend has warned me I could be spending another night here depending on what the test results say, but fingers crossed they're just being cautious.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

Update: Spending another night in hospital and Operation: Baby Yeet starts tomorrow, instead of Thursday. :stare:

I am not in the least bit ready, yet I'm sure we'll manage.

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin
Good luck!

Wife has also been told to stay at the hospital for the weekend and your obgyn calling to say "we got your blood test results, you should go to the emergency" is a great way to get some adrenaline in your boring day

Thankfully seems like it's extra caution and it's a common enzyme to go up during pregnancy

The feeling of inadequacy over not doing everything perfectly diminished a little after we met a room neighbor soon to be mom that smoked through the whole pregnancy until getting to the hospital where they made her stop

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Hello I (dad) have my first baby due in November

Are there any suggested trustworthy sources for product reviews/tips/advice/general wisdom for building a registry? I feel like google is so thoroughly corrupted about this kind of thing that I don't trust the first 10 pages of results and am hoping that real human beings who have done this before could point me in a better direction.

I'm building it on babylist at the moment, which has helpfully prepopulated it with categories and suggested items (even going so far as to highlight the "essential" ones), with items for you to consider once you click through, though of course I'm not going to trust a single website with this. Unless I should? I'm still getting up to speed, this is a very new kind of life for me and I feel a bit untethered if I'm being forthright

Somaen posted:

The feeling of inadequacy over not doing everything perfectly diminished a little after we met a room neighbor soon to be mom that smoked through the whole pregnancy until getting to the hospital where they made her stop

Hmm, maybe i'm doing alright after all

ExtrudeAlongCurve
Oct 21, 2010

Lambert is my Homeboy

Ainsley McTree posted:

Hello I (dad) have my first baby due in November

Are there any suggested trustworthy sources for product reviews/tips/advice/general wisdom for building a registry? I feel like google is so thoroughly corrupted about this kind of thing that I don't trust the first 10 pages of results and am hoping that real human beings who have done this before could point me in a better direction.

I'm building it on babylist at the moment, which has helpfully prepopulated it with categories and suggested items (even going so far as to highlight the "essential" ones), with items for you to consider once you click through, though of course I'm not going to trust a single website with this. Unless I should? I'm still getting up to speed, this is a very new kind of life for me and I feel a bit untethered if I'm being forthright

Hmm, maybe i'm doing alright after all

Thought I was in the wrong thread. :wrongcity:

Anyways, as to your question, yeah it's pretty much impossible to get real reviews anymore. I'm past babyhood with mine but the most important items off the top of my head are probably the car seat, crib, and stroller?

Car seat: you can't go wrong with the Chico Keyfit for infancy. Get the click-on stroller for extra convenience and you're good until they start outgrowing the car seat. Once you're ready to move on to a not-bucket car seat, there's really no wrong answer. Safety wise they'll all be similar so it's just what fits well in your car and what you like the look and feel of more. If you want to not spend all the money on multiple car seat types plus the caddy you can actually just go straight for a convertible car seat. It's just less convenient when you have a tiny baby to have to strap them in and out all the time.

Crib: honestly they're all the same. Just get one you like/feels nice. I don't think they even make the drop side ones anymore so safety wise it's all gonna be similar. Consider a bassinet too for letting the baby sleep in your room for the first month or so up until you get annoyed enough to kick them out/they outgrow a bassinet.

Stroller (for when the baby isn't asleep in their car seat and in the click on caddy): okay this bit of advice is important - try out strollers at a store! The best reviewed stroller might be a total dud for you because you don't like how it feels and y'all gonna be the ones pushing it. When I tried them out, I immediately realized I hated 3 wheel ones, for instance.

A few other things I found extremely helpful: a knee protector pad thing for giving baths so you don't wreck your knees. I still use mine, it's shaped like a penguin. White noise machine. Halo swaddle wraps.

Okay see you back in bosthread.

Edit: OH. I forgot to say: Congrats!!!!!

ExtrudeAlongCurve fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Jun 27, 2023

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

ExtrudeAlongCurve posted:

Thought I was in the wrong thread. :wrongcity:

Anyways, as to your question, yeah it's pretty much impossible to get real reviews anymore. I'm past babyhood with mine but the most important items off the top of my head are probably the car seat, crib, and stroller?

Car seat: you can't go wrong with the Chico Keyfit for infancy. Get the click-on stroller for extra convenience and you're good until they start outgrowing the car seat. Once you're ready to move on to a not-bucket car seat, there's really no wrong answer. Safety wise they'll all be similar so it's just what fits well in your car and what you like the look and feel of more. If you want to not spend all the money on multiple car seat types plus the caddy you can actually just go straight for a convertible car seat. It's just less convenient when you have a tiny baby to have to strap them in and out all the time.

Crib: honestly they're all the same. Just get one you like/feels nice. I don't think they even make the drop side ones anymore so safety wise it's all gonna be similar. Consider a bassinet too for letting the baby sleep in your room for the first month or so up until you get annoyed enough to kick them out/they outgrow a bassinet.

Stroller (for when the baby isn't asleep in their car seat and in the click on caddy): okay this bit of advice is important - try out strollers at a store! The best reviewed stroller might be a total dud for you because you don't like how it feels and y'all gonna be the ones pushing it. When I tried them out, I immediately realized I hated 3 wheel ones, for instance.

A few other things I found extremely helpful: a knee protector pad thing for giving baths so you don't wreck your knees. I still use mine, it's shaped like a penguin. White noise machine. Halo swaddle wraps.

Okay see you back in bosthread.

lol hello. I almost posted in the parenting thread before checking the OP and realizing I should be here instead but I'm glad to see a familiar face here too.

Yeah the stroller is one of the ones I wanna pay special attention to. We will be city parents so I want to find something practical (ie, not so huge that I can't push it down a poorly shoveled sidewalk) but functional. I hope such things exist but am prepared for a "choose 3 things you want, settle for 2" kind of deal. "Try it out in person" is valuable advice, there is a chance that amidst the hurricane of things to worry about, I might have not bothered to do that

I knew going in that babies need a lot of stuff but still managed to get surprised by exactly how much stuff. I don't know how the cavemen managed. I suppose their health was quite bad tbf

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

:)
It’s 🌿Garland🌿!😯😯😯 No…🙅 I am become😤 😈CHAOS👿! MMMMH😋 GHAAA😫
Definitely agree with some sort of premade swaddle unless you really want to muck about with folding up a baby burrito, but ymmv (or ybmmv) as to which one works best. Our first really loved the love 2 dream arms up swaddle. Hoping our second does too, although she's still in the hospital swaddle right now since we're here and the nurses doing the blanket swaddle makes my husband stubbornly want to do it too. We even brought a couple of the ones we had from home.

Honestly for a lot of things, there's not necessarily a "right" answer so much as a "right for your baby" answer (although echoing the KeyFit recommendation, it worked great for us last time and presumably will this time). The babylist categories were helpful to us for figuring out what we might need, as were some of their sampler boxes giving you a bunch of different options to try--we got them for pacifiers, swaddles, and bottles. If you have friends who have had babies recently, ask for their recommendations, or you can ask in here or the parenting thread. We lucked out that a very type A friend of mine had a baby the year before while being underemployed, so she had time on her hands to do a lot of research and put together a spreadsheet.

We also look a lot at wirecutter reviews, and Lucie's List I think does decent baby reviews too?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

How much budget do you have for stroller/carseat. Top tier IMO is doona for 0-8 months and then transition to whatever car seat you like the most. There's no shortage of discussion here on carseats and strollers. Uppababy makes great stuff, especially their V2 that started rolling out in 2019, but it is :10bux::10bux::homebrew:

I personally don't think crib type/style matters much, they're all designed/tested to not accidentally trap your baby. The XL models often have a "convert into a toddler bed" feature assuming your kid doesn't outgrow it by age 3

for a registry, don't ask for a lot of newborn XYZ stuff, they grow out of it within 8 weeks. you don't leave the house a lot during the first 2-3 months, and they spit up on everything anyways. You want 4 months-1 year fancy clothes

i really liked the kikaroo peanut changing pad. my daughter is coming up on 3 and we're still using it every day (finally potty training).

ask for lots and lots of socks. babies don't need socks but if your baby is seen in public without socks for even a second people will frown at you. and socks just disappear randomly, gone forever. You will go through about six dozen socks in the first six months

ask for a SNOO, ask around, look on craigslist for a snoo they're amazing devices and the resale value is about 85-90% of new

don't ask for a bottle system, every baby has their own preference, you get a bottle system, the baby doesn't like it you're kind of stuck with it living in your closet forever (we have two, plus at least one breast pump thing living in our closet)

Ainsley McTree posted:

Yeah the stroller is one of the ones I wanna pay special attention to. We will be city parents so

I would go with the uppababy vista (large bordering on unreasonably large to the point you can use it to haul your groceries home) or uppababy cruz (large but reasonable, fits in most cars/all sidewalks but can't carry many groceries). We used ours in downtown SF for about a year. Nuna makes urban-capable strollers, my in laws lived across the street and they're on their second highly destructive boy in downtown sf with it, with no issues. If you live in a city your stroller becomes your car, paying $1000-1400 for a stroller you use every day makes a lot of sense. Now that we live in the boring suburbs, our uppababy vista v2 looks like a gross indulgence, but in downtown sf it was my grocery cart/family SUV

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

We've been very pleased with the Nuna Pipa carseat and the Triv stroller, but they're on the pricier end. I was pushing for the Chicco Keyfit but we found sales on the Nuna stuff. If you're in the US, it seems like there's not a hell of a lot of options for looking at these things in person, but Target usually has the cheaper ones and Nordstroms has the fancier poo poo. As another poster said, highly recommend getting hands-on with your stroller. We liked the Triv for how easy it is to fold / unfold, while we hated the same company's Tavo model.

Seconding the Halo and Love to Dream swaddles; I was good at blanket swaddling for the first day at the hospital and then somehow I totally lost it and have rarely been able to execute a good one since.

We got the Halo Bassinest swiveling bassinet which has been really convenient. It's set up right next to the bed and when we swivel it one way it overhangs the mattress in easy reach, but then we can swing it around the other way to more easily pick him up. I can't imagine that the sliding kind would be as easy.

More generally, there is a ton of poo poo out there for babies and you really don't need most of it. Ours just hit two months, here's a list of what I consider "wouldn't go without" items:

• Bassinet (we got a hand-me-down crib but he hasn't used it)
  • Changing pad
  • Swaddles/sleep sacks
  • Zip-up onesies
  • Diaper pail (we have the Dekor Plus and it's good, you can use regular trash bags in it if you like)
  • Breast pump (Spectra S2, it's pretty good)
  • Milk storage stuff: we use little plastic bottles in the fridge (I'd rather have glass but haven't gone looking yet) and a combination of 50mL lab conicals & the plastic milk storage bags for the freezer.
  • Bottles (Philips Avent glass bottles)
  • That weird "grass" drying rack that everyone has, and a bottle brush
  • Diaper bag (some thing off Amazon, make sure you get a wipe-down foldable changing pad too)
  • Tula Explorer carrier (hand-me-down from a relative and it's been really good)
  • Bathtub and knee pad (ours are whale-themed hand-me-downs, Fisher-Price I think)

We also have a Philips electric bottle warmer which can absolutely be replaced with a $10 electric kettle and pyrex bowl/measuring cup, and a "Tommee Tippee" travel warmer which is basically a thermos with a big plastic cover that you can pour the hot water into for warming bottles when you're out and about. Neither were particularly expensive, neither is critical but goddamn if they're not convenient.

Hadlock posted:

i really liked the kikaroo peanut changing pad. my daughter is coming up on 3 and we're still using it every day (finally potty training).

we have one of these (another hand-me-down) and yeah it owns.

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

The keekaroo pad is pretty nice, agreed. Honestly my favorite thing about it besides being easy to clean is it's slightly sloped so the inevitable pee while you're changing them and have removed one diaper but not necessarily put the new one down because you're sleep deprived pools by their feet. That might be slightly less applicable if you have a boy and the pee is instead going all over you, idk, mine are both girls.

On strollers, I will say we've been pretty happy with our mockingbird stroller. We haven't put the second seat on it yet but will once we get home. There's also an adapter so we can use our infant car seat with it.

Instead of socks, I would go with something like the zutano booties. They snap closed and are harder to lose, in my experience.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Reading that long list of milk stuff reminded me, if you go formula, you can buy/order premix formula that can be stored at room temperature, a years supply for about $1000. This is more than double mixing your own formula but I think the bottles/cleaning supplies pushes the delta to like $300. Figure out what your time/sanity is worth that first year

If I had to give up my premix formula or give up my Fancy strollers AND kikaroo peanut, hands down I'd keep the premix formula and throw away the rest. Time from waking up hearing baby cry in the next room over, to premix room temperature formula in baby's mouth was typically under 30 seconds unless I tripped over something. Baby doesn't really get a chance to get fully riled up and goes back to sleep the second they're full

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Speaking of expensive poo poo, has anybody here had IVF embryos transferred to another state? We're contemplating a move but we've got a bunch of frosty blastocysts at a local clinic waiting for their shot to be kid #2, and man it would suck having to come back again for the interminable prep+transfer process.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Thanks for the tips everyone--it's a lot to parse all at once (god there's so much to learn) but I will add all that to my notes!

cailleask
May 6, 2007

The right gear is gonna depend on your lifestyle a lot. Do you live in a city or the suburbs or the country? Do you go on a lot of walks? Runs? Do you travel a lot or are you mostly planning to stay home? Do you like order and schedules or just want to wing it? Is someone staying home with the baby and for how long? Or are you going into daycare relatively soon? Do you have strong feelings about how you’re going to try and feed baby, and who will do most of it?

All of those scenarios will lead towards drastically different gear! No reason to get a ton of fancy bottles if you plan to mostly BF, and don’t waste money on an expensive car seat if you’re mostly gonna stroller - but if you want to travel, you’ll need a different stroller than if you want to be a runner.

Make sense? The more specifics you have about your life and goals, the better gear we can recommend!

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin
Related, maybe this was discussed before and the thread came to a consensus: saving the stem cells - worth it or not? Some companies have been pushy, but it feels like kne of those things where you're not likely to use it but you'll really regret it if you're the unlucky 0.01% that skipped on the chance

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

It's funny how varied the opinions can be, so of course I have to weigh in too.

We use the sleepers with feet 95% of the time, just found them way easier. Easier to undress for diapers, just about right amount of clothing for the temperature, and easier to wash. Bonus points for a zipper on both ends, that makes checking diapers easier.

And for bottles, if you end up bottle feeding and using powdered formula then I recommend getting a little 0.1g scale (like one of those drug scales off of amazon) and weighing out the powder. I think we saved easily hundreds of dollars at this point. At least for similac they made the scoops too big so you waste more. Like for our boy he's been between 1 scoop and 2 scoop for a while. But we can mix up any size bottle by just putting in the water and weighing out the powder.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

cailleask posted:

The right gear is gonna depend on your lifestyle a lot. Do you live in a city or the suburbs or the country? Do you go on a lot of walks? Runs? Do you travel a lot or are you mostly planning to stay home? Do you like order and schedules or just want to wing it? Is someone staying home with the baby and for how long? Or are you going into daycare relatively soon? Do you have strong feelings about how you’re going to try and feed baby, and who will do most of it?

All of those scenarios will lead towards drastically different gear! No reason to get a ton of fancy bottles if you plan to mostly BF, and don’t waste money on an expensive car seat if you’re mostly gonna stroller - but if you want to travel, you’ll need a different stroller than if you want to be a runner.

Make sense? The more specifics you have about your life and goals, the better gear we can recommend!

All good questions lol--to the extent that I feel comfortable trying to predict what this future will look like:

- City (somerville, basically boston), which we are hoping to stay in, but we are still house shopping and this market is not good to say the least. That said our goal is to stay close to my wife's work in the city public schools, so for all intents and purposes we are planning to be city parents. I think I am in the post-running phase of my life thanks to my knees but I do hope to walk quite a bit. I bike too, but whenever I see someone riding around in traffic with their little kids strapped into their bikes i instinctively get nervous–even before I became a dad-to-be, much more so now (not shaming anyone for doing it mind you, i just don’t know if i’m bold enough to do it myself). I’m not gonna be riding around with an infant at least anyway, so I can probably leave that off the registry.

- We’re not particularly travel-oriented by nature, so we’re expecting our lives to be quite small for the early phases at least. My mom is hoping to move closer too, so hopefully she’ll be near by.

- wing it/order: it’s funny, I used to be a real wing it kinda guy, but the more pregnant my wife gets, the more I find I need to structure my time to stay on top of poo poo (one could argue that actually, I always needed to do this and just haven’t been until now), so I’m becoming a real schedule person and imagine that i’m going to be moreso once the baby’s born.

- I get 3 months of paternity leave (thank you Massachusetts) and am intending to use all of it. The plan after that is for me to go back to work and for my wife to take an unpaid year off, which her job securely offers (thank you unions), so we are hoping to punt the daycare bills down the road for a little while. And obv she’ll be on paid maternity alongside me too.

I’ll also add, if it matters, that I am 39 years old so maybe I should toss some speed or heart medication on there or something. I am a little concerned about what years of sleep deprivation will do to me at my age, considering how even my childfree rear end feels now if i get less than 6 hours but the brightside seems to be that I apparently will not remember it, based on what the folks in the parenting thread have been saying, so that’ll be nice

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

With respect to sleep deprivation, I’d recommend starting to work with a therapist before your wife gives birth (if you already haven’t). For me it was pretty rough after my wife gave birth, and it would have been way better if I was working with someone beforehand. The sleep loss is both painful, and puts you in a state where your emotional regulation is way worse.

And you know it may be you never need it and you’ll get more sleep than you think!

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Yeah I’ve already been seeing a therapist due to just general “oh poo poo I am responsible for a baby now” stress and it’s been helpful. CBT (normal kind) and mindfulness and all that. It turns out I am prone to what doctors call “catastrophizing” so it’s been helpful to find techniques to keep healthier perspectives and cope with stress and all that. I’m glad I’m getting the practice now when I have enough energy to do it

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

My biggest piece of advice re: sleep deprivation/emotional regulation is to practice empathy and do your best to not take anything said at 3am to heart. You’re both exhausted and you will both be grumpy and snap at some point. Don’t continue the argument. Let the discussion sit until the morning because nobody will win in those early morning hours.

Also yeah, you will want to get a good quality stroller, possibly two for different use cases. It’s your car in a city. You may need to sell your initial one if you find something else is a better fit through all the use.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

BadSamaritan posted:

My biggest piece of advice re: sleep deprivation/emotional regulation is to practice empathy and do your best to not take anything said at 3am to heart. You’re both exhausted and you will both be grumpy and snap at some point. Don’t continue the argument. Let the discussion sit until the morning because nobody will win in those early morning hours.

Also yeah, you will want to get a good quality stroller, possibly two for different use cases. It’s your car in a city. You may need to sell your initial one if you find something else is a better fit through all the use.

Yeah that came up in therapy. I asked something like “what if it’s the middle of the night and we haven’t slept through the night in years and we snap at each other” to which she basically said “you will lol” (she’s a mom too)

I didn’t know that that’s what I needed to hear but it absolutely was. My wife and I have open communication so I’m…not not worried about it, but I’m not worried about it if that makes sense.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
As someone also in MA (South Shore) and ALSO expecting our first baby in November I am very curious to see how your experience goes with the MA Paid Family Leave

Silent Linguist
Jun 10, 2009

Mad Wack posted:

As someone also in MA (South Shore) and ALSO expecting our first baby in November I am very curious to see how your experience goes with the MA Paid Family Leave

Also in MA here, I gave birth in late 2020 (before the leave was available) but since you can take it up until your kid turns one, I took it in fall 2021. I remember it being pretty painless. I handled it through my work’s disability contractor. I got paid correctly and everything!

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Ainsley McTree posted:

Yeah that came up in therapy. I asked something like “what if it’s the middle of the night and we haven’t slept through the night in years and we snap at each other” to which she basically said “you will lol” (she’s a mom too)

I will never forget at like 2pm or whatever in the middle of the afternoon, was WFH due to covid, walk out into the living room see my wife chilling on the couch with baby and her mom. Wife is about 2 weeks post birth (post-partum?) Thought strikes me "oh hey dear did you know there's two different bottle nipples we have? low flow and high flow? i think we accidentally ordered (and have been using) the high flow nipples, oops"

To which she responds at the top of her lungs, "Hadlock, this IS OUR CHILD!!! What ARE YOU DOING???!"

I only remember that because it was in the middle of the day and I'd already had two cups of coffee. The snaps at night were way, way worse. I'm not a doctor but there seems to be at least two kinds of post partum depression 1) emotional "holy gently caress, i'm stuck to this thing, and this thing is stuck TO ME, FOREVER" which varies a lot, my guess is spousal support has a big impact on this, and 2) the physical/chemical hormonal type, where your body is like "whaaa holy gently caress this baby was pumping me full of hormones, and now it's not, what. the. fuuuuuck i'm so hormonally hung over" which happens to everyone and everyone has a different reaction/duration

Anyways yes you will both snap at eachother, a lot. It will happen. It will pass. The end goal is to make it to the end of the first six weeks without anyone moving out or threatening to divorce eachother, and keep the baby alive. Things calm way the gently caress down after week six, and your family might even get into a groove by week 4 or 5 if you're lucky. By week six the baby is adapted to breathing air and drinking milk but doesn't figure out the day/night cycle until later, but the crazy in all fashions dies way way down

Bloody Cat Farm
Oct 20, 2010

I can smell your pussy, Clarice.

Ainsley McTree posted:

I didn’t know that that’s what I needed to hear but it absolutely was. My wife and I have open communication so I’m…not not worried about it, but I’m not worried about it if that makes sense.

It will happen, but it won’t be forever. If you’re already a strong couple with good communication, you’ll be fine!

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Yeah, I have faith we'll be fine, it's just a thing I'm not looking forward to. But at least I won't be so surprised when it happens!

Another relevant detail just occurred to me--my wife and I have about a foot of height difference (i'm 6'2", she's 5'....something low). Is that going to be a big consideration when choosing a stroller (or other gear I'm not thinking of) or are the good ones fairly adjustable? I was never able to find an exercise bike we could both use, I'm hoping strollers are a little more accommodating at least.

cailleask
May 6, 2007

Yeah it’s definitely a thing. Weight will also be a thing - you should test drive strollers for sure. Nordstrom has the more expensive ones, usually, and a Buy Buy Baby will have a wide selection.

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

cailleask posted:

Yeah it’s definitely a thing. Weight will also be a thing - you should test drive strollers for sure. Nordstrom has the more expensive ones, usually, and a Buy Buy Baby will have a wide selection.

If there's a Buy Buy Baby still open around you, go sooner rather than later. They're all shutting down as part of the Bed Bath & Beyond collapse. Even if one is still open it might be completely picked over but you might get lucky.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

The stroller we have (chicco bravo maybe? Idk) can adjust the handlebars some. My wife’s height discrepancy isn’t as much as yours, we’re 5’9 and 5’1 but she is fine with the stroller at the same height I use so it may not be so bad.

cailleask
May 6, 2007

Oh snap I didn’t realize they were the same company! No Babies R Us, no Buy Buy Baby. What’s left? 😬

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Ainsley McTree posted:

All good questions lol--to the extent that I feel comfortable trying to predict what this future will look like:

- City (somerville, basically boston), which we are hoping to stay in, but we are still house shopping and this market is not good to say the least. That said our goal is to stay close to my wife's work in the city public schools, so for all intents and purposes we are planning to be city parents. I think I am in the post-running phase of my life thanks to my knees but I do hope to walk quite a bit. I bike too, but whenever I see someone riding around in traffic with their little kids strapped into their bikes i instinctively get nervous–even before I became a dad-to-be, much more so now (not shaming anyone for doing it mind you, i just don’t know if i’m bold enough to do it myself). I’m not gonna be riding around with an infant at least anyway, so I can probably leave that off the registry.

- We’re not particularly travel-oriented by nature, so we’re expecting our lives to be quite small for the early phases at least. My mom is hoping to move closer too, so hopefully she’ll be near by.

- wing it/order: it’s funny, I used to be a real wing it kinda guy, but the more pregnant my wife gets, the more I find I need to structure my time to stay on top of poo poo (one could argue that actually, I always needed to do this and just haven’t been until now), so I’m becoming a real schedule person and imagine that i’m going to be moreso once the baby’s born.

- I get 3 months of paternity leave (thank you Massachusetts) and am intending to use all of it. The plan after that is for me to go back to work and for my wife to take an unpaid year off, which her job securely offers (thank you unions), so we are hoping to punt the daycare bills down the road for a little while. And obv she’ll be on paid maternity alongside me too.

I’ll also add, if it matters, that I am 39 years old so maybe I should toss some speed or heart medication on there or something. I am a little concerned about what years of sleep deprivation will do to me at my age, considering how even my childfree rear end feels now if i get less than 6 hours but the brightside seems to be that I apparently will not remember it, based on what the folks in the parenting thread have been saying, so that’ll be nice

Hello, you sound a lot like us! I was 38, my wife was 39. Our son is Boston born, Cape Cod resident.

You forgot to mention that you get 3 months of PAID paternity leave. PFMLA is wonderful and you should absolutely take advantage of it. Maybe think about splitting up your leave, that's what I did. I took 4 weeks off immediately, then went back to work for a while, then took 4 months at 50%.

Definitely take advantage of family to help out, it makes a huge difference.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

Our little munchkin made his entrance into the world on Monday, at 37+3 weeks.

I developed pre-eclampsia, and the final weeks of the pregnancy were utterly miserable - I had felt mostly okay for the majority of the pregnancy, then all of a sudden I felt rotten and not-right. Now the wee lad is out, I feel so much better.

Trip report for the curious:

I was told my blood pressure was too high about two weeks ago at a checkup, and they'd be hanging onto me overnight to ensure I was responding to medication and/or wasn't going to stroke out. I wasn't thrilled by this (it was during a work day and I had to break the news to my work I was going on mat leave early), didn't sleep much at all, and was begging to be sent home by about 4am. They tried to manage it with medication (labetalol) and booked an induction for when I hit 38 weeks, then when I went in for a checkup this past Saturday, I was told it was still too high and wanted to begin the induction the following day. Oh, and they'd feel more comfortable holding me overnight :smith:

Induction began at 12pm Sunday, waters were broken around midnight, pain went from very manageable to extremely unmanageable at about 2-3am, got the epidural so I could have a sleep, bub was born at 11:15am. The epidural was so effective I felt no urge to push and had to be told when by the midwives, and I had to have an episiotomy coz his head wasn't coming out.

After the birth they did some tests on me and bub to find that while bub seemed fine, I had too much potassium and it could potentially mess with the electrics of my heart. There seemed to be a bit of a fuss about it - while I felt as fine as you could feel after this sort of thing, and my tests were fine before having him, after the birth they went all haywire and it was apparently quite interesting to them. We were shipped off to the adult special care unit to pump me full of sugar and insulin to level out the potassium, then some antibiotics for reasons I don't remember, and at one point I recall waking up to find my baby gone and being so out of it I thought 'oh, I'm sure he'll show up eventually'. Turns out they thought he had a heart murmur and heard him making weird noises and had been sent off to the nursery, and was wheeled back to me at 4am.

It's pretty strange feeling completely fine (besides the obvious) and being in the medically fragile people ward - the doctors and nurses kept remarking how I looked way too well to be in there yet their tests told a different story. Either way, we were only there overnight, were sent to a ward the next day and were discharged the following.

Anyway. He's pretty neat. And has his dad's nose. :3:

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
Congrats, Froglet! And thank you for sharing your story. It sounds like it was quite harrowing at times and I’m glad you and the little one are doing good :)

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
fyi uppababy is discontinuing the greenish color of their vista v2 stroller and offering it at 25% off while supplies last - if you wanna buy new the vista v2 is an amazing stroller

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

Congrats froglet! Our babies share a birthday--had mine this past Monday too. It was a very boring induction for the most part, just a little excitement at the end when she went from -1 station to +3 station in like ten minutes and her heart decelerated quickly. Only five minutes of pushing though, much better than the three hours with #1.

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin
Congratulations to new parents!!! We still have a month to go and I can't wait to meet baby so I can show her birbs and have her stop kicking wife in the kidneys

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Somaen posted:

I can't wait to meet baby so I can show her birbs and have her stop kicking wife in the kidneys

We're at 31 weeks and I've been calling the little dude Kickpuncher

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

We're at 31 weeks and I've been calling the little dude Kickpuncher

Hell yeah :3 one of the joys so far is finding out we can interact even while she's inside, I put my hand on the tummy and she moves around, I tell her "calma bebê" and she stops