Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

*pounding feet*
*door slams open*
EXCUSE ME WE NEED TO TALK ABOUT THE DESERT SESSIONS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Fart of Presto posted:

Just wanted to pop in and say thanks for all the awesome recommendations wrt. less harsh vocals. I'm not even halfway through the bands, and all of them hit the mark so far.

Acid King was an awesome concert and Lori S. kicks rear end.

Did we mention Ruby the Hatchet on the last go around? Cos Ruby the Hatchet are great.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Nah, Knoxville. Never seen them, and figured the drive was worth it.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Trabant posted:

lol literally

The question is:

Is it Wretch erasure or ...And the Circus Leaves Town erasure?

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry

Laserface posted:

Did we mention Ruby the Hatchet on the last go around? Cos Ruby the Hatchet are great.
Yup. First or second recommendation, and I agree 100%

spaced ninja
Apr 10, 2009

Toilet Rascal
Pallbearer is doing a listening party on Bandcamp for the album. Starts in 30 mins.

https://pallbearer.bandcamp.com/live/mind-burns-alive-listening-party

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
I just want a RtH + Green Lung co-headlining tour. That's not too much to ask, imo.

Eat The Rich
Feb 10, 2018

Really loving this trend of adding Saxophone to SDS. Never let it end

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Eat The Rich posted:

Just in case anyone else is wondering if this is a good thing or not

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bA3ygVT0q4

Nit Wit Dog Shit
Sep 28, 2000

Toilet Rascal

Eat The Rich posted:

¡PENDEJO! from The Netherlands (who sing in Spanish) list themselves as stoner and incorporate trumpet into all of their music.

I really enjoy their first two full length albums as well as their fourth full length (newest).

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

If yall are so inclined, check out my homeboy's droney noise thing:
https://aphid-a.bandcamp.com/album/rucciworks

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.

spaced ninja posted:

Pallbearer is doing a listening party on Bandcamp for the album. Starts in 30 mins.

https://pallbearer.bandcamp.com/live/mind-burns-alive-listening-party

https://pallbearer.bandcamp.com/album/mind-burns-alive

Full release out now, rules so far

spaced ninja
Apr 10, 2009

Toilet Rascal
The pallbearer album is really good. Huge props for the saxophone, need more of that. The last track is loving killer and a fantastic way to close out the album.

Also new ufomammut dropped. This wasn’t even on my radar, but it’s pretty good 3 tracks in.

https://ufomammut.bandcamp.com/album/hidden

Zoben
Oct 3, 2001
I want the Budos Band to play with the Melvins or Down or something

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Zoben posted:

The bass player is in my friend’s clunky metal band Python: https://pythonclunkydoom.bandcamp.com/album/astrological-warfare

So who knows?

overnightmike
Aug 11, 2007

Zoben posted:

I saw them last night in Chicago, absolutely recommend catching them on this tour they're really smokin.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
I just picked this album up on vinyl and I forgot just how loving sick this riff is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pctr-6LhMZA

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Mind Burns Alive is so fuckin good

I think Pallbearer finally made an album to stand even with Watching From a Distance. All their albums are killer but this one's just really impressive.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I think Pallbearer are getting more and more boring every time out.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Henchman of Santa posted:

sorrow and extinction is still their best and the only album of theirs i revisit regularly

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Tbh, as much as I like their general sound, guitar tones, and melodic sense, I've always found their actual songwriting to be pretty boring. Most of their tracks feel like they just plod along with no real flow or build, even if I pretty regularly find myself thinking like "oh that riff/harmony/whatever was pretty sick!"

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
They seemed pretty boring live when I saw them supporting Yob, but to be fair that's a tough comparison to invite for any band.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

I'm curious to see how they stand up against Inter Arma in August. Pallbearer headlines.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I tried to get into that Pallbearer but if someone had told me it was smooth Christian rock I don’t think I would have doubted them.

Going to give it another shot, I only got a few songs in

Also google photos made this for me, calling it “moonlight”

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

hatelull posted:

I'm curious to see how they stand up against Inter Arma in August. Pallbearer headlines.

Pallbearer is solid live, but IA blow them out of the water.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Hulk Krogan posted:

Tbh, as much as I like their general sound, guitar tones, and melodic sense, I've always found their actual songwriting to be pretty boring. Most of their tracks feel like they just plod along with no real flow or build, even if I pretty regularly find myself thinking like "oh that riff/harmony/whatever was pretty sick!"

i think the one exception to this is the opener to sorrow but yeah, i feel you otherwise

i really, really loved sorrow and extinction, i think that initial acoustic build on foreigner is some of the most striking doom songwriting i've ever heard, and the rest of that album ranges from fantastic (the legend) to pretty good

people kept losing their minds over foundations of burden and like, it's fine, but there's nothing there as striking as sorrow's best moments. the rest of their albums hit various levels of mediocre.

mind burns alive at least has a different vibe and the sax is fun.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

hatelull posted:

I saw IA over a decade ago and they were good but overshadowed by the headliner

Which was Gorguts, so no shade, IA put on a great show

Visions of Valerie
Jun 18, 2023

Come this autumn, we'll be miles away...

my bony fealty posted:

Mind Burns Alive is so fuckin good

I think Pallbearer finally made an album to stand even with Watching From a Distance. All their albums are killer but this one's just really impressive.

I would've thought 40 Watt Sun would be the closer comparison, but either way I was underwhelmed by the new Pallbearer

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Snowy posted:

Also google photos made this for me, calling it “moonlight”

lol at the Weedenstain bears

That photo collage reminded me: I took this last fall while on my way to see... The Church, appropriately enough:

but then you can spoopify it even more to get a more thread-appropriate album cover:

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Visions of Valerie posted:

I would've thought 40 Watt Sun would be the closer comparison, but either way I was underwhelmed by the new Pallbearer

I like to get really caught up in new releases and praise them highly, it'll be a couple weeks before my final opinion shakes out

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Trabant posted:

lol at the Weedenstain bears

It’s the Sleepytime bear :)

Also, sweet church!

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

CornHolio posted:

I just picked this album up on vinyl and I forgot just how loving sick this riff is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pctr-6LhMZA

lol yeah that riff is filthy

Snapes N Snapes
Sep 6, 2010

Always have been.

OpaqueEcho
Feb 8, 2003

oh no no bro oh no
Bryan Spinks of Samothrace passed away last night. He was a beautiful human being and this loving hurts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s0N_VXpP1pU

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Gonna try to spark up the thread a little by sharing some releases from the top shelf of my doom section.

Abstracter - Wound Empire (2015)

Four big tracks of blackened death doom. To be honest, I prefer the follow-up, Abominion, but hearing this one before that makes the later one that much more impressive for highlighting how the band developed their sound.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Atramentus - Stygian (2020)

Booming funeral doom with some tasteful use of death metal elements. From Canada!

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Man stoner/doom artists love them some Lewandowski and Beksinski art

Zoben
Oct 3, 2001

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Man stoner/doom artists love them some Lewandowski and Beksinski art

For sure, their work is consistently doomy. Along with Peter Gric, those guys are some notable painters who seem to take a lot of influence from Giger, but their evolution of that style involved adding those vibrant spot colors.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Coffin Lurker - Foul and Defiled (2021)

Grimy, atmospheric doom with sludgy overtones. A collab by Maurice De Jong (of Gnaw Their Tongues and about a dozen other bands) and Rene Aquarius (of Dead Neanderthals and others).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Cough - Ritual Abuse (2010)

Stoner doom utterly soaked in feedback. The high point of the band's discography, to me.