Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sjonkel
Jan 31, 2012
I finally found a good stainless steel cookware series, but I still want to change my old Ikea skillets/frying pans with something better. It looks like most skillets are non-stick, but what do people recommend? I want a cast iron one eventually, but I'll probably need a few more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
We generally recommend getting a stainless steel pots and pans, and supplementing them with maybe a non-stick skillet for egg or seafood dishes, and a cast iron skillet.

You can scroll down on the op in this link to see some of our (slightly outdated) recommendations for stainless steel sets.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3381440

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

Grand Fromage posted:

Yeah, fortunately I was making a curry so the mushiness didn't really hurt it.
If you don't want mushy red lentils, get whole red lentils (they're browny/rusty red colour). I got them by mistake the first time I bought red lentils, and they stay firm for ages. Like I simmered them for an hour and they were still firm. So treat them like beans, cook them separately (7 min a pressure cooker in my case), and then add them at the end into any dish I want lentils in.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Sep 30, 2013

Sjonkel
Jan 31, 2012

Steve Yun posted:

We generally recommend getting a stainless steel pots and pans, and supplementing them with maybe a non-stick skillet for egg or seafood dishes, and a cast iron skillet.

You can scroll down on the op in this link to see some of our (slightly outdated) recommendations for stainless steel sets.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3381440

Thanks. I figured the recommendations thread was mostly for different brands rather than what to get, sorry for posting in the wrong thread!

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

spacejew posted:

I have a 2lb beef roast I was going to put in a crock pot with potatoes, onion, carrots, celery, garlic. Any suggestions as to how to season the beef, and also how much bullion to use? Also any side tips if you think you know a super secret.
Sprinkle the beef liberally with salt and leave it out for a bit so it's not ice cold. Get a pan, heat it to lava loving hot, sear the beef on as many sides as it is convenient to do so, say 30, 40 seconds a side depending on how hot you can get the pan. You want it nice and dark. If it's sticking to the pan a little, don't sweat it, leave it a little longer and it'll release on its own.

After browning, set the beef aside, throw your onions in the pan, chopped coarse or however it is you want them, and keep them moving until they take some colour. You can do the same with the carrots and celery if you want to, although unless you have a fuckoff big pan you're probably going to have problems with crowding.

Now hit the pan with some red wine. Work around the bottom of the pan with your turner, a wooden spoon, whatever the gently caress you're using, getting up all the browned bits that stuck there. That brown poo poo is called fond, and it's pure flavour. What you're doing now is called deglazing the pan, and it's the thing that turns a decent stew or braise or whatever the gently caress into a meal that gets you the fabled Blow Job After Dinner, assuming you're serving it to someone you're interested in getting a blowjob from. Or I guess if you're really limber. Keep it going until it's been reduced by, oh, about half. The deglazing I mean, not the blowjob. Throw in some tomato paste near the end, and give it a minute or two of stirring around so there's no lumps left.

Anyway. Now throw the browned beef and the veg into the pot, add the wine reduction, top it off with enough stock to cover everything about halfway. Throw in some rosemary, some thyme, and whatever else you think'll go well with it. Add savoury to the mix and you've got (at least one formulation of) the classic herbes de Provence. Which doesn't really matter, but if you say it in a really plausible French accent it might help with that blowjob.

Now you're going to come back and say that you don't want to do all that poo poo with a pan and you just want to throw everything in the crockpot and call it good but that's why you should be happy you're reading this and learning better because no poo poo it's worth the extra effort completely independent of the blowjob business although I'm not lying about that either.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I'm leaving Europe soon and I was wondering if there were any rare/speciality ingredients and things I should buy while I'm here that I can't really get in the US or that'll cost a little fortune in the US but is cheaper here. I'll be leaving from Paris so I'm pretty sure I can pick up just about anything there. Like for example at one of the spice shops I go to they sell Persian salt which always looked interesting but I'm not really sure if it's just a gimmick or not (and I don't think you can buy Iranian anything in America).

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Lullabee posted:

So, we hit up the apple orchids here and picked up some homemade apple butter - I got it mainly for my fiancé to try (he's never had it before).

However, I highly doubt well eat it all just like that (on toast and such), so I'm looking for recipes that I can use it in. Any suggestions?

I cook up a couple of turkey thighs in a dutch oven sprinkled with a little salt, black pepper, cumin and allspice, cook that at 400 for 1h, then add in about 1 cup of chopped onion, cover, cook for another 30 mins then add in a layer of peeled apple slices on top of that and cook another 30 mins. I add a little finishing salt and pepper to it and serve. Nice fall dish. You can use more cuts of turkey than just the thighs, but those work best. I made this recipe a few times last fall after going apple picking.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Boris Galerkin posted:

I'm leaving Europe soon and I was wondering if there were any rare/speciality ingredients and things I should buy while I'm here that I can't really get in the US or that'll cost a little fortune in the US but is cheaper here. I'll be leaving from Paris so I'm pretty sure I can pick up just about anything there. Like for example at one of the spice shops I go to they sell Persian salt which always looked interesting but I'm not really sure if it's just a gimmick or not (and I don't think you can buy Iranian anything in America).

Depends on where in the USA you'll end up. If it's a major city like New York, Chicago, or Boston, you'll likely have no problem finding anything here that you did out there. If you're moving out to the sticks, like Florida or something, stock all the spices you can get your hands on, and as much sanity as you can find. You'll need both.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

I smuggled Iranian saffron into the country and didn't declare it to customs. I could have been in jail probably, but I made it fine. Ymmv.

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW

Boris Galerkin posted:

Foie gras and some ripe blue cheese that's illegal in the US. Maybe they'll label you as a terrorist. Vive la révolution!

M42
Nov 12, 2012

145 is a good temp for med-rare lamb chops, right?

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Preface: I am an idiot.

I scribbled down someone's recipe, from this thread maybe, for a vietnamese sauce.

My lovely idiot recipe:
2:1 oyster:fish (sauces)
1 sugar
sriracha
3 lemongrass/garlic

What the gently caress did I mean by "3 lemongrass/garlic" because I can't imagine 3 parts oyster and fish sauces combined would make a nice sauce with an equivalent quantity of lemongrass and garlic.

EDIT: I found it.

mich posted:

Good advice here except for the sesame oil, that's not really in a lot of Vietnamese food. On the right track though, here's a good all purpose marinade/meat glaze for Vietnamese meats to be used in sandwiches, in rice paper rolls, in noodle bowls, etc:

3 parts fish sauce or a combination of fish sauce and oyster sauce (I like 2:1 oyster:fish sauce)
2-4 parts minced lemongrass (I like lots of lemongrass, you can certainly use some garlic or shallot in addition)
1 part sugar or honey
Garlic chili paste or minced bird chiles to taste

1 part of scallion oil can also be good though I tend to just like to use it as a condiment over the meat instead.

lament.cfg fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Sep 30, 2013

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

M42 posted:

145 is a good temp for med-rare lamb chops, right?

after resting, sure. I'd pull at 135 F though and let rest. Pulling at 145 and resting will probably be more mid well.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Excellent! Thanks :tipshat: I was probably looking at some ultra-safe FDA site for the temp before.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise
I have some frozen cod I should probably eat. Last time I made it, it was with a salsa. It was good but I'm out of cilantro and I want something with more interesting spices. Any suggestions?

edit: Please do not codshame, my girlfriend bought it when I wasn't looking

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Dead Inside Darwin posted:

I have some frozen cod I should probably eat. Last time I made it, it was with a salsa. It was good but I'm out of cilantro and I want something with more interesting spices. Any suggestions?

edit: Please do not codshame, my girlfriend bought it when I wasn't looking

what's wrong with cod exactly? It's not the most exciting sure but it's way better than, like, swai or tilapia.

how about biriyani? http://kurryleaves.blogspot.com/2013/07/kerala-fish-biriyani.html

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
Fish and chips that cod.

*edit* With gallons and gallons of malt vinegar of course.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Doh004 posted:

Fish and chips that cod.

Do it.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

GrAviTy84 posted:

what's wrong with cod exactly? It's not the most exciting sure but it's way better than, like, swai or tilapia.

how about biriyani? http://kurryleaves.blogspot.com/2013/07/kerala-fish-biriyani.html

Depending on where it came from and how it was caught, it can be an extremely poor choice from an environmental persepctive. But if you can find sustainable cod, it is one of the best fish in my opinion.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Pookah posted:

Guess what I cooked in my slow cooker today!

(The beef was cubed bigely but I basically did as described otherwise).

Just in case anyone is interested, I finished off that slow-cooker beef bourguignon today and it turned out really well. I love stews because they are so insanely flexible. I put the slow-cooker stew into a pot today to reheat, and while it was doing so, I wandered around the place looking for things to improve the flavour which was a little bit lacking somehow. I ended up adding salt, mushroom ketchup, fish sauce, oyster sauce, worcestershire sauce, black pepper, smoked paprika, extra tomato puree, another homegrown tomato (minced) ummm, I thimk that's everything so basically salty things plus other stuff and it turned out crazy good.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Depending on where it came from and how it was caught, it can be an extremely poor choice from an environmental persepctive. But if you can find sustainable cod, it is one of the best fish in my opinion.

Yeh, this. It's Atlantic cod which according to Seafood Watch is hugely bad. This was actually bought before I started giving a poo poo and we knew better so the current state of mind is "let's use it up and never do that again."

Same with Barilla pasta. If we're going to think a little bit more about what we eat might as well change habits for multiple reasons.

GrAviTy84 posted:

This looks good but I know I would make it too spicy for the girlfriend. However, I know she's not around next Monday :v:

Gonna see if I have enough ingredients for good ol fish and chips.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

This looks good but I know I would make it too spicy for the girlfriend. However, I know she's not around next Monday :v:

:catstare:

Edit: Is biriyani even spicy?

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

Same with Barilla pasta. If we're going to think a little bit more about what we eat might as well change habits for multiple reasons.

I assume this is the CEO's foot-entirely-in-mouth-and-partially-swallowed comment recently, and not some other as-yet-unknown-to-me fact?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

midnightclimax posted:

Foie gras and some ripe blue cheese that's illegal in the US. Maybe they'll label you as a terrorist. Vive la révolution!

I never tried foie gras but I've tried liver before and always thought it tasted terrible and inedible. Should I try foie gras?

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Boris Galerkin posted:

I never tried foie gras but I've tried liver before and always thought it tasted terrible and inedible. Should I try foie gras?

YES. Eat all the foie gras. Yes, it's technically liver but it's basically delicious animal butter without the minerally funk you might associate with "liver". Eat it.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

My husband makes faces every time I eat liver and still loved foie gras. And is now horribly upset at California for banning it.

Semisponge
Mar 9, 2006

I FUCKING LOVE BUTTS
I've tried to eat foie gras and while the taste is tolerable, the texture in my mouth makes me gag. Like I put it in my mouth and it hits my tongue and my body refuses to accept it as food. :psyduck:

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Semisponge posted:

I've tried to eat foie gras and while the taste is tolerable, the texture in my mouth makes me gag. Like I put it in my mouth and it hits my tongue and my body refuses to accept it as food. :psyduck:

Clearly the only answer is to force feed yourself some force fed food.

And yes, eat all the foie. it is the best. And laugh at us californians :negative:

rj54x
Sep 16, 2007
I have a ton of home-grown green beans to eat. I've been having them sauteed with onion, garlic, and lemon, and also Sichuan dry-fried... any suggestions for more interesting / esoteric applications?

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Make a green bean pesto.

Crunchtime
Dec 16, 2005

I like to move it move it!
Hey guys, somewhat new to cooking meat here (I was a vegetarian for years, pretty much my whole adult life,) Now that I eat meat again, I'm looking for somewhat simple chicken breast recipes. Any input here is much appreciated!

I forgot how good meat was!

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
Need some input. Got some salmon I'm gonna cook with a creamy dijon sauce and serve over risotto. I've got some dried mushrooms I need to use so that's going in, but I can't decide on a second ingredient to make it a little more interesting. I was thinking either figs for some sweetness, or bacon for smokiness/saltiness. Or all three. Anyway, suggestions would be appreciated!

e: maybe prosciutto instead of bacon...

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Oct 1, 2013

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Crunchtime posted:

Hey guys, somewhat new to cooking meat here (I was a vegetarian for years, pretty much my whole adult life,) Now that I eat meat again, I'm looking for somewhat simple chicken breast recipes. Any input here is much appreciated!

Get a thigh instead and actually eat something delicious.

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Need some input. Got some salmon I'm gonna cook with a creamy dijon sauce and serve over risotto. I've got some dried mushrooms I need to use so that's going in, but I can't decide on a second ingredient to make it a little more interesting. I was thinking either figs for some sweetness, or bacon for smokiness/saltiness. Or all three. Anyway, suggestions would be appreciated!

e: maybe prosciutto instead of bacon...

I'd toss some raw scallion(/spring onion/whatever you call it over there) on it

Schmeichy
Apr 22, 2007

2spooky4u

Smellrose

Crunchtime posted:

Skin-on, bone-in chicken is usually cheaper than boneless, and it tastes better. I made this recipe with chicken thighs and honeycrisp apples the other night, and it was phenomenal:

http://www.marthastewart.com/336547/baked-chicken-with-fennel-and-apples

Also, a pretty common dish that I really like is chicken with 40 cloves of garlic.

zgrowler2
Oct 29, 2011

HOW DOES THE IPHONE APP WORK?? I WILL SPAM ENDLESSLY EVERYWHERE AND DISREGARD ANY REPLIES
So I've decided to try my hand at gravlax sometime in the next few weeks using this recipe because I live in Alabama and trust Google to give me competent results for how to do foreign foods.

I grew up largely in Okinawa, Japan and have family in Thailand, so I've got a large affinity for raw meat/fish dishes. Can anyone recommend any other sashimi-type things to try my hand at? (carpaccio pizza is also on my to-do list, but that requires learning good pizza first)

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

zgrowler2 posted:

So I've decided to try my hand at gravlax sometime in the next few weeks using this recipe because I live in Alabama and trust Google to give me competent results for how to do foreign foods.

I grew up largely in Okinawa, Japan and have family in Thailand, so I've got a large affinity for raw meat/fish dishes. Can anyone recommend any other sashimi-type things to try my hand at? (carpaccio pizza is also on my to-do list, but that requires learning good pizza first)
Ceviche's probably the biggest bang for your buck flavor-wise, and you'll probably like it, though hand-chopped filet tartare is cool too.

Carpaccio pizza doesn't make much sense given how mild in flavor carpaccio is and how subtle the texture generally is.

Lullabee
Oct 24, 2010

Rock a bye bay-bee
In the beehive
Leftover roast - what do you do with it? I like making it, since it's easy and filling (cheap too), but even the small 2-3 lbers are too much for me and my fiancé to eat in one or two settings. I'm making barbecue tonight with it but I still have quite a bit leftover (as well as the vegetables).

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

The bestest roast beef sandwiches. I actually made a roast on Sunday expressly for the purpose of delicious roast beef ssandwiches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Lullabee posted:

Leftover roast - what do you do with it? I like making it, since it's easy and filling (cheap too), but even the small 2-3 lbers are too much for me and my fiancé to eat in one or two settings. I'm making barbecue tonight with it but I still have quite a bit leftover (as well as the vegetables).
Leftover beef roast? I like it, cold, on a slice of fresh crusty bread with a bit of spicy mustard and some sharp cheese. I wouldn't even bother to construct a sandwich.

Leftover roast chicken is meant to be eaten, also cold, by pulling morsels of meat right off the bone. Some greens with a simple vinaigrette and a bit of bread on the side are good accompaniments.