Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

SynthOrange posted:

Hands outside pants. Doesnt count.

Isn't that what the extra-long pockets are for?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boneless Jogger
Apr 20, 2010

Jewel posted:

Seems it's.. some kind of "fashion"?

It's like some homeless kid whose only clothing is pants far too large to wear.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Bobulus posted:

I only ask, because I could see, in the very late stages of the comic, Dave intentionally creating a bunch of doomed Daves for the final showdown, sorta the way Aradiabot did with the their Black King, except not nearly so automatically suicidal.

Conquering his issues with the Dead Dave Pile and all that.

True, in that scenario, all of them would die 'heroically', so it would be a non-issue, but it's where my thought process started.

(Just finished watching someone read through Problem Sleuth and so I'm thinking about the end-game of Homestuck. I can't decide if a big showdown with Lord English is narratively okay, or too expected for it to actually go down.)

I don't know if getting yourself killed a bunch of times (and dead dead, at that) counts as dealing with your issues. Nobody thought Aradia's suicide-wave of robots was healthy. Not to mention that every beta-Dave is a whole timeline extinguished, putting another set of characters into the dream bubbles (that's part of the reason I think Hussie might cool it on the beta timelines, in fact, ever since he introduced the idea that anyone from a beta timeline can end up there even if they never even went to the alpha timeline it's got to be crowded as hell in there).

Yeah, creating beta-Timelines is still a very heavy thing and will never stop being such a thing.

Ghoulish Sandwich
Jun 27, 2008

the corpse party!
theres no better time and there are so many corpses here to work with

Under the vegetable posted:

One of my friends just sent me this over AIM. He doesn't read Homestuck. Apparently this is a thing that exists in fashion now? How recent is this? What the gently caress is going on? Andrew Hussie is entirely to blame for this.

I wouldn't be so quick to blame Hussie. This sort of thing has been around for a lot longer than Homestuck.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Ghoulish Sandwich posted:

I wouldn't be so quick to blame Hussie. This sort of thing has been around for a lot longer than Homestuck.

Alternatively, Simon Cowell. Who would probably have made a better His Honourable Tyranny than Guy Fieri, albeit probably too obvious.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
Hey can someone clarify for me if this exposition is happening in Jake's memory as a result of being knocked cold while lacking a dreamself or it's just a narrative skip backwards in time?

And if its the first thing, what're the odds that isn't actually Dirk he's talking to?

CidGregor
Sep 27, 2009

TG: if i were you i would just take that fucking devilbeast out behind the woodshed and blow its head off

Seoinin posted:

Hey can someone clarify for me if this exposition is happening in Jake's memory as a result of being knocked cold while lacking a dreamself or it's just a narrative skip backwards in time?

And if its the first thing, what're the odds that isn't actually Dirk he's talking to?

This panel suggests to me pretty definitively that it is a literal narrative skip backwards in time. However what I assume makes you wonder is that the page immediately prior seems to show Jake entering a dream bubble, so......I guess it could technically go either way?

The main reason I lean toward it being a literal narrative flashback, though, is that in the past, dream bubble memories have never lasted even close to this long before the occupants realize they're dreaming and break from how the conversation is "supposed to go." Someone wises up within two or three pages, if not sooner. This sequence has lasted nearly thirty pages already with zero break in flow. If the memory was going to go off the rails, I'm pretty sure it would have done so by now.

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!
There's no way Bro isn't behind this:

https://www.cuddleuppets.com/

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Those blankets look loving baked. :420:

Snollygoster
Dec 17, 2002

what a scoop
The cuddleuppets make me wish Dave Strider's blog still updated. His takedown of the Sweet Cred Kids Zone needs to be carved into a brass plaque and hung in the Smithsonian.

quote:

i dont know where to begin with this thing its like trying to shake the hand of a really fat guy, what do you even grab

so beautiful

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Snollygoster posted:

The cuddleuppets make me wish Dave Strider's blog still updated. His takedown of the Sweet Cred Kids Zone needs to be carved into a brass plaque and hung in the Smithsonian.
Man, gently caress Homestuck. Hussie needs to really drill down and finish that thing out. What about the rest of the gang Dave you need to tell us about the rest of the sweet cred gang.

Midnight Raider
Apr 26, 2010

CidGregor posted:

This panel suggests to me pretty definitively that it is a literal narrative skip backwards in time. However what I assume makes you wonder is that the page immediately prior seems to show Jake entering a dream bubble, so......I guess it could technically go either way?

The main reason I lean toward it being a literal narrative flashback, though, is that in the past, dream bubble memories have never lasted even close to this long before the occupants realize they're dreaming and break from how the conversation is "supposed to go." Someone wises up within two or three pages, if not sooner. This sequence has lasted nearly thirty pages already with zero break in flow. If the memory was going to go off the rails, I'm pretty sure it would have done so by now.

To be fair, this is Jake we're dealing with. Him wising up may never happen, and whoever might be on the other side may have fair reason to string him along for a while. (Perhaps because this is a good memory to remind him of what he's fighting for, or alternately, because seeing Jake go for so long without realizing is funny.)

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Omnomnomnivore posted:

There's no way Bro isn't behind this:

https://www.cuddleuppets.com/

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CidGregor posted:

How long did it take dead beta John to figure out what'd happened to him in the dream sequence between him and Vriska?

Edit: Just went back and checked, it took 26 pages. Looks like Jake and John share the :buddy: gene.

Tollymain fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Apr 29, 2012

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Not to mention it's been kinda established that while Jake may be smart (I think? Maybe?) he's not exactly smart in the head. Like John.

I'm fully expecting Jake to finally go "Wait a minute this feels familiar" and whoever's intruding on the dream to say something along the lines of "Took you long enough!"

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

Tollymain posted:

How long did it take dead beta John to figure out what'd happened to him in the dream sequence between him and Vriska?

Edit: Just went back and checked, it took 26 pages. Looks like Jake and John share the :buddy: gene.

GT: well,
GT: i was going to block you. but then...
GT: i didn't for some reason.

GT: i guess i am feeling something like deja vu... maybe.

Finally realizing for the first time that you are actually dead is a little different from knowing something wrong is going on and you are repeating history. Not even 2-3 full pages before they realized it wasn't real, depending on if you count the first page with one sentence and one sentence fragment.

MrBims fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Apr 29, 2012

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

Jade's second dream bubble experience (the "I'M D-EAD, STUPID!" dream) was also initially framed as a flashback. I could imagine it being something like that, but with Dirk's dreamself, perhaps?

Wait, no it wasn't.

nerdbot fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Apr 29, 2012

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?
Update.

Looks like:

-the tavros/vriska symbols on the condensce weren't an indication they were controlling her
-an outdated internet meme? truly ironic
-dream bubble looks like?
-dave and rose nooooooooo

H.P. Shivcraft
Mar 17, 2008

STAY UNRULY, YOU HEARTLESS MONSTERS!
Um, also, the Condesce appears to be using her rustblood powers to mindcontrol Gcat. :ohdear:

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah that's definitely a :wtc: right there

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

First off, I have to admit the over 9000 thing made me snicker. Oh Dirk and your irony.

Second, um I hope that's not GCat. :ohdear:

Third, hell yes I knew it was a dream bubble. :woop: Now the question is is Dirk someone else hiding it or just a figment of the memory?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

And there's the deja vu kicking in.

Jorenko
Jun 6, 2004

I think you're just mad 'cause you're single.

H.P. Shivcraft posted:

Um, also, the Condesce appears to be using her rustblood powers to mindcontrol Gcat. :ohdear:

No, the cat has a taurus symbol on its head. Aradia, though, has shown telekinetic ability before. Perhaps she is using that to throw around the statuary?

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

^ Pretty sure Rustblood referred to both Tavros and Aradia. Just a term of derision for low-bloods in general.

Ah, man, that's cold. Stabbing Dave with his own sword, which then breaks? Ouch.

Note that she's got Aradia's powers, too. That's how she's levitating the Statue of Liberty.

So I wonder who Jake is dreambubbling with here. Probably not Dirk, since his dreamself is still alive. It's either another A1 troll or...someone from B1? With Gamzee's entry into B2, narratively it's probably fair game to start talking to the B2 kids and giving them the low-down. Every dreambubble sequence we've seen involved the person talking or someone very much like them, so...Dave? B1 Bro? No idea.

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."
Oh man I hope its Davesprite the colors match and everything.

That said, another A1 troll would be nice.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?
She's also got Sollux's symbol and red/blue glowing eyes. No clue what she's doing otherwise with it though.

-super charging her trident maybe?

Mazerunner fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Apr 29, 2012

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Apparently she also has the power of JPEG artifacts, lookit that statue of liberty top half :ohdear:

Valex
Nov 28, 2009

by astral

Glory of Arioch posted:

Apparently she also has the power of JPEG artifacts, lookit that statue of liberty top half :ohdear:

That probably has more to do with SB&HJ's fame than anything

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

So, the kids are probably going to have to face the Condesce at some point. An immortal brutal alien conqueror with the psychic powers of every troll and further unknown abilities granted to her by Lord English.

Looking forward to that Strife page.

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting
R.I.P. Dave and Rose. :smith: They died together again, but godtier revivals aren't going to save them now.

Heck of an update to finally finish catching up with. It took me forever to read through all the backlog (especially the whole troll part - some of their quirks were really hard to read). Out of all the characters introduced, I think I like the Strider-Lalondes the most.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

Bongo Bill posted:

So, the kids are probably going to have to face the Condesce at some point. An immortal brutal alien conqueror with the psychic powers of every troll and further unknown abilities granted to her by Lord English.

Looking forward to that Strife page.

I half-expect Jack to drop his kill-all-the-kids schtick when he catches up to that universe and try to kill her instead. She's clearly a greater challenge.

Maybe that'll be essential, and it's why Rose made sure he followed them.

Midnight Raider
Apr 26, 2010

Long ago, when it was only a few hints being strewn about, I really was hoping the Troll Empress was being prepped for a villainess role. These days it's much more certain, and now days it looks like she may be bringing the power in spades. (Pun not intended.)

The big question would be if she's going to be more dangerous than Jack. Even with all of her crazy new powers, Jack's one-trick pony of drive-by stabbings while being nigh-indestructable might still be more problematic.

VocalizePlayerDeath
Jan 29, 2009

Reene posted:

I half-expect Jack to drop his kill-all-the-kids schtick when he catches up to that universe and try to kill her instead. She's clearly a greater challenge.

Maybe that'll be essential, and it's why Rose made sure he followed them.

Both ringbearers being part dog leads me to believe they will both dart after Godcat in a similar fashion to Jade chasing Jaspersprite,ignoring the The Condesce entirely.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

VocalizePlayerDeath posted:

Both ringbearers being part dog leads me to believe they will both dart after Godcat in a similar fashion to Jade chasing Jaspersprite,ignoring the The Condesce entirely.

She really thought that one through ahead of time!

But yes, given how crazy powerful Jade and Jack already are, the Condesce really would have had to go to absurd lengths to present an actual threat. Combining the psychic powers of every single other troll bloodline (and mind-controlling a first guardian of her own) is one way to accomplish that I suppose.

Rose Spirit
Nov 4, 2010

:33 < APEX PURREDATOR
Is Jack actually still going to be crazy-powerful now that the Green Sun is destroyed? Sure he still has the power of the four-times prototyped chess lords, but I'm not sure that's enough to stand up to the alien fish Hitler powers we're seeing now.

(Unless I missed something else, not far enough in my most recent read-through...)

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

Rose Spirit posted:

Is Jack actually still going to be crazy-powerful now that the Green Sun is destroyed?

Ummmmm did you not get what happened in Cascade? Pretty much the exact opposite happened. The Green Sun is very much alive and very much un-destroyed.

Rose Spirit
Nov 4, 2010

:33 < APEX PURREDATOR

Color Printer posted:

Ummmmm did you not get what happened in Cascade? Pretty much the exact opposite happened. The Green Sun is very much alive and very much un-destroyed.

Apparently no, no I didn't. :downs: Nevermind~~~

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I'm starting to wonder about one of those things that seems to happen, but will never be confirmed as an inevitability.

Are First Guardians like, the main herald of a session's impending fuckeditude? Or are they predisposed to loving up the session somehow? Because of the three First Guardians we know of...

-Doc Scratch was working for Lord English
-Bec was very much accomplice to making the session unwinnable
-And GCat stopped Jane's prototyping and apparently got mind-controlled by the Condesce.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
I just rewatched Cascade, and something occurred to me. On this page it appears that Gamzee is being referred to as the Most Important Character in Homestuck, which doesn't really seem to jibe with Gamzee's role since then. But in Cascade, you can see that moment again from a different perspective, and Lil' Cal is on Gamzee's lap. Is Lil' Cal the most important character in Homestuck?

Apologies if this is something y'all know about already, I wasn't following Homestuck for a while between just before Cascade and about a week ago (boy did I pick a bad time to stop reading; Cascade is amazing).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Cleretic posted:

I'm starting to wonder about one of those things that seems to happen, but will never be confirmed as an inevitability.

Are First Guardians like, the main herald of a session's impending fuckeditude? Or are they predisposed to loving up the session somehow? Because of the three First Guardians we know of...

-Doc Scratch was working for Lord English
-Bec was very much accomplice to making the session unwinnable
-And GCat stopped Jane's prototyping and apparently got mind-controlled by the Condesce.

First Guardians are powered by the Green Sun, and are created through ectobiology by combining something with the First Guardian genetic code and then sending it millions of years back in time to the planet that will ultimately give rise to the session. Doc Scratch said that a First Guardian's role is to "facilitate the planet's ultimate purpose," which sounds like it means that a First Guardian's job is to set up the various predestination paradoxes that lead to the alpha timeline. The alpha timeline has, so far, only passed through sessions that were hosed up, but that doesn't mean that the presence of a First Guardian necessarily implies that Lord English has an influence on that universe.