Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

DrSunshine posted:

The map of Europe under 100 m of sea level rise is great -- are there similar maps for the other regions of the world? I'm interested in seeing how it'd look for East/Southeast Asia.

EDIT:

Best I can find--

How many people live in the flooded part of China? Because that seems to me as if it would flood significant parts of urban China.

Also, goodbye Bangladesh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

DrSunshine posted:

The map of Europe under 100 m of sea level rise is great -- are there similar maps for the other regions of the world? I'm interested in seeing how it'd look for East/Southeast Asia.
66m* Anyway, the rests of the maps are here.

http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/2013/09/rising-seas/if-ice-melted-map

Torrannor posted:

How many people live in the flooded part of China? Because that seems to me as if it would flood significant parts of urban China.

According to the above article, that part of China is home to roughly 600 million people, while the area around Bangladesh is another 180 million.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Torrannor posted:

If that's the Shandong peninsula that's still there as an island then yeah you'll hit the densest populated part of China (that province alone has 100 million people).

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe

Torrannor posted:

How many people live in the flooded part of China?

All of them. That is all of the people.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
It's the Yellow, Yangtze and Ganges rivers that are flooded there, i.e. some of the most populated parts of the entire world. I'm actually really surprised they're saying it's only like 800 million.

edit: like look-

the flooded areas correlate pretty much perfectly with where there are the most people. Which isn't surprising considering those river valleys are probably the most fertile areas I guess

Koramei fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Nov 9, 2014

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

fade5 posted:

A map from the Middle-East thread, and politically-loaded as hell:

Courtesy of Joshua Landis:

I could probably pull a better map out of my rear end.
Someone hand me some shapefiles for Syrian religion, districts and ethnic groups.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Torrannor posted:

Some of the biggest cities in the South East too, like Bangkok and Ho Chi Minh City.

Narciss
Nov 29, 2004

by Cowcaster

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Israels territorial claims.

VerdantSquire
Jul 1, 2014

I love how the mapmakers choose to just paint over Ethiopia and Western Africa as completely Muslim. The former is two thirds Christian, and afaik the southern coast of western Africa should have a lot of Christians as well.

VerdantSquire fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Nov 9, 2014

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

The spread of refugees from Yemen, the UAE, and Kuwait after the brutal War of Saudi Arabian and Omanese Aggression.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

When did Israel acquire that stretch of coast along Abu Dhabi?

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Also Armenia in green and Albania in yellow.

The Maldives have a very interesting shape.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Pakled posted:

When did Israel acquire that stretch of coast along Abu Dhabi?

Around the same time that hey occupied the two Cs in Morocco.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

VerdantSquire posted:

I love how the mapmakers choose to just paint over Ethiopia and Western Africa as completely Muslim. The former is two thirds Christian, and afaik the southern coast of western Africa should have a lot of Christians as well.

Sri Lanka is an odd choice as well, not majority muslim.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

A Buttery Pastry posted:

66m* Anyway, the rests of the maps are here.

http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/2013/09/rising-seas/if-ice-melted-map

According to the above article, that part of China is home to roughly 600 million people, while the area around Bangladesh is another 180 million.

Wow, thanks so much!

God, this is so cool. I need to write a post apocalyptic "historical fiction"-style story taking place thousands of years in the future where this happened.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
Title it "The World of a Thousand Atlantises".

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

DrSunshine posted:

Wow, thanks so much!

God, this is so cool. I need to write a post apocalyptic "historical fiction"-style story taking place thousands of years in the future where this happened.

Waterworld.

Jaramin
Oct 20, 2010

Waterworld bothers me. In order to cover the surface of the earth in that much water, you would need to triple the combined volume of water in the ground, on the surface already, or in the atmosphere of the entire planet.

EDIT:Content

Jaramin fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Nov 9, 2014

Geshtal
Nov 8, 2006

So that's the post you've decided to go with, is it?

Jaramin posted:

Waterworld bothers me. In order to cover the surface of the earth in that much water, you would need to triple the combined volume of water in the ground, on the surface already, or in the atmosphere of the entire planet.

To be fair, that's hardly the worst flaw in Waterworld. Barely makes the top ten.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Everything I've heard about Waterworld makes me think that one day I really need to drunkwatch it.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

That's the North China Plain and Yangtze Delta flooded. Beaten I know but at least I can give the right names for those geographical features. They are indeed the two most densely populated regions of China. I didn't realize the North China Plain was that low that far inland.

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.

Pimpmust posted:

Didn't know Sweden-Norway had such a presence there, or Denmark for that matter. Gotta do some digging on that.

Suddenly all the Crimea business seems less relevant

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

DarkCrawler posted:

Everything I've heard about Waterworld makes me think that one day I really need to drunkwatch it.
The hubbub around Waterworld is like 90% because cost overruns had made critics/movie journalists judge it a failure before it even came out. Not saying it's great, but the movie itself hasn't really done anything to deserve this much attention.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
It's a pretty boring movie.

edit: it's like any old pirate movie, except post-apocalyptic.

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

Jaramin posted:

EDIT:Content

What am I looking at here?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

the jizz taxi posted:

Australian Empire 2020-2115 (territories acquired after 2075 in light blue).

Vorpal Cat
Mar 19, 2009

Oh god what did I just post?

Guavanaut posted:

Australian Empire 2020-2115 (territories acquired after 2075 in light blue).

Too much Paradox made me instinctively read that as Austrian Empire. Ironically that interpretation also works.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

The War of Kazakh Succession was utterly brutal.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
After the Philippines, Austria was the second state they took. Mostly to stop any confusion.

Australian Austria didn't roll off the tongue so well though.

Jaramin
Oct 20, 2010

Unfortunately, nothing quite so interesting. It's the "Moon Treaty" of 1979, where the signatories officially declared all stellar bodies in the solar system outside of the Earth the property of the international community. Dark blue are states that both signed and ratified, light blue are states that only signed. Unsurprisingly, nobody who had a significant space program in 1979 even bothered.

Rassle
Dec 4, 2011

the jizz taxi posted:

Varying degrees of don't-drink-the-water-ness?

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Don't drink the water in Australia, it's full of deadly spiders. :ohdear:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Jaramin posted:

Unfortunately, nothing quite so interesting. It's the "Moon Treaty" of 1979, where the signatories officially declared all stellar bodies in the solar system outside of the Earth the property of the international community. Dark blue are states that both signed and ratified, light blue are states that only signed. Unsurprisingly, nobody who had a significant space program in 1979 even bothered.

Notably including Germany.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

DrSunshine posted:

Don't drink the water in Australia, it's full of deadly spiders. :ohdear:

That's everything in Australia, including the people

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

The Moon is American. Anyone who doesn't agree can go up there and take those flags down themselves. :colbert: :fsmug: :911: :patriot:

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
The command module from Apollo 11 at least knocked the flag over with its exhaust as it ascended. Additionally the flags should be bleached white by now due to solar radiation obliterating the pigments.

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp

Raskolnikov38 posted:

The command module from Apollo 11 at least knocked the flag over with its exhaust as it ascended. Additionally the flags should be bleached white by now due to solar radiation obliterating the pigments.

White flag means the moon people are surrendering. To America.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Pretty sure they would mean that it's the Americans who are doing the surrendering. :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
If Antarctica was warm enough somehow, would it be hospitable for human life? How's the soil? Can you grow anything with all the weird day/night stuff?