Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Oh, of course it did. Warren Ellis hates powers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Karnak's thing is definitely treated as a type of superpower on the show. Glowing CSI effects and video game HUDs pop up around him and he's able to observe a hypothetical action scene and rewind it as if he's an invisible spectator seeing exactly what went wrong and how to fix this scene that hasn't physically happened yet.

They don't address whether this is a superpower that he trained in himself, or if it's a product of Terrigenesis. Considering that everyone on Attilan goes through Terrigenesis, the current assumption from the audience is of course that this is Karnak's special Inhuman power. They might clarify that later, though.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Karnak not going through terrigenesis and having all his abilities just through training and meditation and all that isn't Ellis.

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009
My understanding was that, somehow, Karnak is naturally able to discern the weakness in everything, as stated, and his only 'power' is the ability to leverage those weaknesses to his advantage.

I faintly recall something about him not going through terrigenisis.

Seems weird ultimately since he is nigh all-powerful.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

The Triton thing, at least, was covered. Bolt says they dont know for sure he's dead and sent Gorgon to check it out.
The rest though yeah, I mean lol at Gorgon just wading in and immediately drowning

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
All I know about Karnak is from the Ellis series and Charles Soule's various Inhumans series (I don't think any of them mentioned Karnak's origin though) and I know the current story is that Karnak had a sibling that went through Terrigenesis but got one of those hosed up transformations like Eldrac the door, so his parents made him not go through with Terrigenesis, and instead he spent all his time studying how to find the weakness in anything.

edit: oh I guess the brother was Triton, okay.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Oct 1, 2017

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

If Karnak wasn't terri'd what's up with his enormous head?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

X-O posted:

EDIT: It got an 0.9, which put it in second place for the night.

I was asking in the TV IV chat thread yesterday about ratings terminology. I asked about shows "doing a three in the ratings" and I think I was advised that it meant they got 3% of all televisions watching. What does it mean if a programme gets an 0.9? Does that mean 900,000 televisions were watching it?

Likewise, what does it mean if a programme has a "4 share" like Aphrodite mentioned?

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Karnak, what his powers may or may not be, and the show's inability to convey them, was a major point of criticism for Sepinwall

muscles like this! posted:

Its not NASA, just some random company that is putting rovers on da Moon.

Huh, okay, well it still looked computers on folding table cheap

Wheat Loaf posted:

I was asking in the TV IV chat thread yesterday about ratings terminology. I asked about shows "doing a three in the ratings" and I think I was advised that it meant they got 3% of all televisions watching. What does it mean if a programme gets an 0.9? Does that mean 900,000 televisions were watching it?

Likewise, what does it mean if a programme has a "4 share" like Aphrodite mentioned?

quote:

The most commonly cited Nielsen results are reported in two measurements: ratings points and share, usually reported as: "ratings points/share". As of 2013, there were an estimated 115.6 million television households in the United States, up 1.2% from the previous year because of the inclusion of televisions that receive content over the Internet. A single national ratings point represents 1% of the total number. Nielsen re-estimates the number of television-equipped households each August for the upcoming television season.

Share is the percentage of television sets in use that are tuned to the program. For example, Nielsen may report a show as receiving a 9.2/15 during its broadcast; this would mean that out of all television-equipped households, 9.2% were tuned in to that program, and out of all television-equipped households with a television currently in use, 15% were tuned in to that program.
Left out is that the number most people throw around is viewership in the "key demographic" of 18-49. So in the case of Inhumans it got a .9 in the key demo, but overall viewership was closer to four million.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Gotham season 4 has been good.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

TheDK posted:

My understanding was that, somehow, Karnak is naturally able to discern the weakness in everything, as stated, and his only 'power' is the ability to leverage those weaknesses to his advantage.

I faintly recall something about him not going through terrigenisis.

Seems weird ultimately since he is nigh all-powerful.

You would think that if Karnak didn't have powers, they wouldn't have gone so out of their way to single out Maximus as the only odd man out. But then again that's hardly the most inconsistent thing about that premiere.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Wheat Loaf posted:

The first number is the rating, and it's percentage of every TV owning household in America. The second is the share, and it's the percentage of active viewers at that time. This season, 1 ratings point represents 1.18 million viewers. The pool for the share obviously is not consistent even minute to minute, but it's averaged out.

So .9% of all TV households, and 4% of those that were actually watching TV at 8pm EST on Friday night. Or about 1.062 million viewers, from a pool of 26.55m.

And as mentioned, this is 18-49 demo. You'll usually get a total viewers number but nobody really publicizes ratings/shares for those because advertisers don't really care.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
Because people are scientifically proven to stop spending money on things the moment they hit 50.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

ToastyPotato posted:

Because people are scientifically proven to stop spending money on things the moment they hit 50.

A lot of what they buy, they buy because they've bought it for years. No advertising campaign is going to convince someone who's drank Coke for 30 years to switch to Pepsi, but a 20 year old without a hard favorite is a possible convert for life. It's a lower key version of why tobacco ads were/are targeted at young people.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Skwirl posted:

A lot of what they buy, they buy because they've bought it for years. No advertising campaign is going to convince someone who's drank Coke for 30 years to switch to Pepsi, but a 20 year old without a hard favorite is a possible convert for life. It's a lower key version of why tobacco ads were/are targeted at young people.

People in their 20s and 30s are already hugely opinionated when it comes to brands. Maybe this wasn't always the case, but in modern times it absolutely is. I say this as someone who has been in this age group for over a decade. I really doubt any Coke ad is trying to get any one to switch away from Pepsi at this point. It is more about triggering that desire for a coke. There are already studies that have shown food imagery can increase a desire for that food. The urge for food comfort doesn't vanish when you turn 50. Now maybe there is an argument that people over 50 eat less of those things that are advertised heavily, but I would be willing to be 50 isn't the magical cut off age for that either. 18-49 is arbitrary as gently caress.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

We lost good men in those drat Cola Wars.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
I drink Coke and Pepsi products. :smuggo:

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

HIJK posted:

I tend to do both as well in the rare cases that I actually drink soda, except for when it comes to Vanilla Coke vs Vanilla Pepsi. Vanilla Pepsi was undrinkable for me. I tried.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

ToastyPotato posted:

People in their 20s and 30s are already hugely opinionated when it comes to brands. Maybe this wasn't always the case, but in modern times it absolutely is.

The underpinnings of a lot of the logic behind this stuff is ancient as gently caress and probably not accurate anymore yes.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

HIJK posted:

a-at the same time?

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

Samuringa posted:

a-at the same time?

It tastes great once you smother it with enough liquor

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
It's basically summed up in the classic restaurant interaction of "I'll have a coke" "Oh, we only have Pepsi, is that OK?"

Has anyone ever said "No" to that?

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Gaz-L posted:

It's basically summed up in the classic restaurant interaction of "I'll have a coke" "Oh, we only have Pepsi, is that OK?"

I definitely know people who swear against one or the other, but they are pretty rare.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Gaz-L posted:

Yes. I don't drink anything sugary anymore but when I did I would always take water over Pepsi.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

That's insanely weird.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Aphrodite posted:

That's insanely weird.

Pepsi is loving gross.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Gaz-L posted:

It happens all the time.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Americans were a mistake.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Aphrodite posted:

That's insanely weird.

They don't taste anything alike and I don't understand why americans pretend they're the same just because they're the same color.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
The only brand loyalty* of a sorts I have is craft local beer over big brewery stuff but there isn't one craft brewery I'll take over the other

*thst I am conciously aware of. I probably have other ones I don't realize

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Lurdiak posted:

They don't taste anything alike and I don't understand why americans pretend they're the same just because they're the same color.

I'm the first one to usually say I can't taste the difference between two similar things, but even I notice the difference between Pepsi and Coke, so yeah, people are crazy sometimes I guess.

For example, I can't really taste the difference between Coke Zero, Diet Coke, Regular Coke, and Mexican Coke. Granted, I only have soda less than 10 times in a year, but still. I've had them within days of each other in the past and have had people look at me like I am an alien for not noticing some huge difference.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Like I'm not even trying to make some value judgement on one or the other but to me it's as weird as if I ordered orange soda and the waiter was like "Is lemonade ok?" They're different things.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Pepsi was the choice of a new generation and that generation can get hosed.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

ToastyPotato posted:

I'm the first one to usually say I can't taste the difference between two similar things, but even I notice the difference between Pepsi and Coke, so yeah, people are crazy sometimes I guess.

For example, I can't really taste the difference between Coke Zero, Diet Coke, Regular Coke, and Mexican Coke. Granted, I only have soda less than 10 times in a year, but still. I've had them within days of each other in the past and have had people look at me like I am an alien for not noticing some huge difference.

For the longest time I could not tell the difference between Coke and Pepsi. Nowadays I prefer Coke, but honestly I don't find the difference to be that big a deal, I'll take either (but I also think of colas as second or third choices, Dr Pepper tends to be my sugar water of choice).

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?

catlord posted:

Dr Pepper tends to be my sugar water of choice.

And there are those who visibly flinch when you suggest they try a Mr. Pibb instead.

Soda snobbery runs deep.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

catlord posted:

For the longest time I could not tell the difference between Coke and Pepsi. Nowadays I prefer Coke, but honestly I don't find the difference to be that big a deal, I'll take either (but I also think of colas as second or third choices, Dr Pepper tends to be my sugar water of choice).

I am basically the same way. Growing up I barely noticed the difference, but I did notice one. Today I can still tell the difference but I don't really care one way or the other, but I DO prefer Coke in general.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
RC Cola or bust.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Ojjeorago posted:

RC Cola or bust.

MONSTER

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Lurdiak posted:

Like I'm not even trying to make some value judgement on one or the other but to me it's as weird as if I ordered orange soda and the waiter was like "Is lemonade ok?" They're different things.

No, it's like asking for Fanta or something and getting "is Crush okay?" They're the same kind of drink.

Captain America is definitely Pepsi.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Oct 2, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

As someone that rarely drinks either I can tell you 100% that Pepsi and Coke definitely don't taste alike at all. The one exception being if you get a fountain drink at some gas station or fast food place because they're so watered down they basically do taste the same. If you drink it straight from a bottle the taste is pretty drat different though. Pepsi is sweeter and Coke has a more syrupy taste. Unless you get the Mexican Coke from your local gas station/supermarket that is.

X-O fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Oct 2, 2017