Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
i cannot forgive m&d for forcing me to look up “cock ale”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Picked up The Good Conscience at Half Price today, knowing next to nothing about Fuentes but extremely impressed by what I skimmed of it. If this is one of his minor works, I've been a goddamn idiot not reading his major ones.

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"

Sham bam bamina! posted:

Picked up The Good Conscience at Half Price today, knowing next to nothing about Fuentes but extremely impressed by what I skimmed of it. If this is one of his minor works, I've been a goddamn idiot not reading his major ones.

Terra nostra is loving

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Sham bam bamina! posted:

He's cool, Christopher Unborn is a really wild madcap take on Tristram Shandy and other books like that, and I also enjoyed A Change of Skin.

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!
I actually enjoyed (the second part of) the good conscience considerably more than the death of artemio cruz. Haven't read his other stuff tho

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

It's disappointing that the occult/esoterica thread is in archives because i just bought a copy of the secret teachings of all ages and i'm going to learn all of the secret teachings and become a powerful occult magick man.

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I'M BACK AND I'M SCARIN' WHITE FOLKS

A human heart posted:

It's disappointing that the occult/esoterica thread is in archives because i just bought a copy of the secret teachings of all ages and i'm going to learn all of the secret teachings and become a powerful occult magick man.

i made that thread so what up, thats the first esoterica i read

i never got around to updating it with postmodern/chaos magic

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Sham bam bamina! posted:

thehoodie posted:

Terra nostra is loving

Yeah, surprised Terra Nostra isn't more popular in this thread. It appeals to a lot of people's tastes in literature as a crushing juggernaut of ideas.

I am more a fan of The Death of Artemio Cruz though

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009

ulvir posted:

satantango is really frigging good

it really is and Laszlo K is my dude

i’m reading Gold Fame Citrus by Claire Vaye Watkins and it’s cool since drought and fire is life now.

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

A human heart posted:

Ganbatte

jagstag
Oct 26, 2015

Lil Mama Im Sorry posted:

i never got around to updating it with postmodern/chaos magic

just post about it here. jacking off onto sigils is not that far removed from jacking off onto a copy of sun and steel

jagstag fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Aug 11, 2018

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

Posting this here since Nabokov's lectures aren't BotM anymore: i was just searching to see if the text of the Kafka lecture was online so i could send it to a friend and lo and behold, someone decided to film that lecture with Christopher Plummer playing Nabokov. I have no idea what compelled anyone to make this but i'm glad they did:

https://vimeo.com/87523667

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Tim Burns Effect posted:

Posting this here since Nabokov's lectures aren't BotM anymore: i was just searching to see if the text of the Kafka lecture was online so i could send it to a friend and lo and behold, someone decided to film that lecture with Christopher Plummer playing Nabokov. I have no idea what compelled anyone to make this but i'm glad they did:

:stare:

Twist my arm, why doncha.

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I'M BACK AND I'M SCARIN' WHITE FOLKS

Tim Burns Effect posted:

hell yes

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"
Runaway Horses was a drat good book, and boy do I have no idea what books 3 and 4 could involve.

Also Magda Szabó is real good. Reading Katalin Street and it reminds me of To the Lighthouse a lot.

Hungary has some drat good authors. Laszlo K, Szabo, Esterházy, Szerb, Krúdy, Márai. Any others people recommend?

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
vs naipaul dead, so what

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

thehoodie posted:

Runaway Horses was a drat good book, and boy do I have no idea what books 3 and 4 could involve.

Also Magda Szabó is real good. Reading Katalin Street and it reminds me of To the Lighthouse a lot.

Hungary has some drat good authors. Laszlo K, Szabo, Esterházy, Szerb, Krúdy, Márai. Any others people recommend?

Peter Nadas sounds pretty cool and writes really long books but I haven't actually read him so take this recommendation with a big ol grain of salt

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

And speaking of drat good books, I just finished A Hundred Years of Solitude. It was beautiful, sad and even kind of funny at times. Highly recommended. It was also my first time reading magical realism and it was surprising how well that stuff blended in.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

thehoodie posted:

Jeno Rejto, or P. Howard, The Hungarian Wodehouse: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jen%C5%91_Rejt%C5%91

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

thehoodie posted:

For the full experience, I recommend completing the Sea of Fertility cycle while your relationship crumbles into worsening emotional abuse. Now that was a fun summer. :smithicide:

A lot of Temple of Dawn went over my head, partly for the above reason, but also because it goes heavily into the history of Buddhism and I didn't have an historical reference point. It's definitely a mindfuck shift after Runaway Horses. You can tell in Decay of the Angel that he was rushing things, and it's surreal reading something set in the very near future when he knew he would be dead, but it helps achieve the intended effect.

It's not the World's Longest Suicide Note, exactly, but it does convey the ultimate conclusion of Mishima's worldview. :feelsbadman:

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

A human heart posted:

Peter Nadas sounds pretty cool and writes really long books but I haven't actually read him so take this recommendation with a big ol grain of salt

How do you feel about frequent references to men wearing womens panties and people itching their taint and smelling it

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Tree Goat posted:

vs naipaul dead, so what

mr bis, was

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Mel Mudkiper posted:

How do you feel about frequent references to men wearing womens panties and people itching their taint and smelling it

its my life, and it's now or never. and this scent won't last forever.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

gently caress

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

My vs naipaul trivia fact is that the James bond theme was originally written for a musical version of a house for mr biswas

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

After The War posted:

For the full experience, I recommend completing the Sea of Fertility cycle while your relationship crumbles into worsening emotional abuse. Now that was a fun summer. :smithicide:

A lot of Temple of Dawn went over my head, partly for the above reason, but also because it goes heavily into the history of Buddhism and I didn't have an historical reference point. It's definitely a mindfuck shift after Runaway Horses. You can tell in Decay of the Angel that he was rushing things, and it's surreal reading something set in the very near future when he knew he would be dead, but it helps achieve the intended effect.

It's not the World's Longest Suicide Note, exactly, but it does convey the ultimate conclusion of Mishima's worldview. :feelsbadman:

I liked Decay of the Angel the most, something about Toru's introduction as a lighthouse keeper looking at the sea (descriptions of the sea tend to be cliched, but in Mishima they aren't), and how he's both the culmination and a parody of Mishima's own aesthetic ideals .

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Tree Goat posted:

vs naipaul dead, so what

I’ve been meaning to read Naipaul for the better part of a decade but somehow never actually have. What’s the best place to start with his work?

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Normal Adult Human posted:

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

I’ve been meaning to read Naipaul for the better part of a decade but somehow never actually have. What’s the best place to start with his work?

Just get the house of Mr Biswas, it's really good, well written literature. nothing too flashy, but his scenes and characters are always a pleasure to read

His Half a Life was one of the books that brought me back to reading fiction, but A House for Mr Biswas is undeniably the better book

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Normal Adult Human posted:

lmao gently caress you lol

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Mel Mudkiper posted:

If a central European man is making those then he's probably cool

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

A human heart posted:

If a central European man is making those then he's probably cool

I can be Czech for you ;-*

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
is the golem and the jinni real literature or just another jewish psyop

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Whoever that is can oval office off, Brighton owns.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

My computer broke so I read two books in a few days to pass the time. The first was Umberto Ecos Baudolino. The first Eco I’ve ever read. It was great, hilarious how Baudolino rationalizes the religious forgeries and the justifications he comes up with so Frederick can assert his authority without directly conflicting with the Pope and honorably retreat from battles. I expected the writing style to change when the characters head off the map and into Prester Johns kingdom but descriptions stay as grounded as before. It doesn’t feel like a phantasmagoric realm but rather just that some characters are visiting a genre fantasy world for a bit before finding their way back into history. But instead of dwarves and elves you’ve got one footed creatures and flying ears.

The other book was Gene Wolfe’s Peace. It’s the only Wolfe book that appears to be mainstream literary fiction about an aging man recalling anecdotes about his life. But as per Wolfe, the narrator is probably lying and might be dead, or is multiple people, or can travel through time, or any number of other interpretations. I liked reading it straight as a bunch of charming if truncated anecdotes but there’s definitely some horrific subtext and we never discover exactly how Weer’s aunt died or how Weer became a company president or why many other events happen.
Anyway they were two good books about two great liars.

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

Ccs posted:

The first was Umberto Ecos Baudolino. The first Eco I’ve ever read.

You'll really really like Name of the Rose

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

They serve Chivas in Brighton and all other whiskeys are banned.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
English coastal settlements are hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

English coastal settlements are hell.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lqYqyHBTZjg