Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you a
This poll is closed.
homeowner 39 22.41%
renter 69 39.66%
stupid peace of poo poo 66 37.93%
Total: 174 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

This is just a random arrangement of geometric shapes from Microsoft Office.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

obvious best pick

Came here to post this

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

In a turnaround of Labour taking the best bits of Green policy. It looks like Julie Anne Genter is copying Jacinda.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
This new thing about it being classist to point out that Simon Bridges' bad accent is bad, is dumb as hell

cf. https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/politics/opinion/101547703/national-ignores-lyn-of-tawa-at-its-peril https://thespinoff.co.nz/politics/19-02-2018/simon-bridges-has-a-strong-new-zealand-accent-got-a-problem-with-that/

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Still not the dumbest thing I have read in NZ news today. That honour goes to Kate Hawkesby having a cry about people being mean to rich old white men.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

I don't know if I've heard Simon bridges speak but hating on someone for their accent is super classist hth

Unrelated but the new Colmar Brunton has Labour on fourty eight percent. Jesus.

voiceless anal fricative fucked around with this message at 10:57 on Feb 19, 2018

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Ghostlight posted:

Wifi landscape kiwi is close enough for me

Is that a Mario hill with a tumor

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

quote:

This frustrates those who would like National to become more expressly libertarian. The good news for those people is that there is already a well-funded and visible platform for libertarianism. It is called the ACT Party and it received 13,075 votes in the last election.
Weird how media pundits apply this logic only to moving out of the centre-right rather than into it.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

bike tory posted:

I don't know if I've heard Simon bridges speak but hating on someone for their accent is super classist hth

I was speaking on the phone with a rather irate fellow from Hamilton who claimed I was a foreigner due to my RP accent, and claimed all I existed to do was to steal kiwi resources and starve his children.

Well, I mean, if I didn't have the motivation before...

He also claimed the Earth was flat, but given he's from Hamilton I was slightly more inclined to give him a free pass as far being batshit was concerned.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Well why do you have an RP accent if you grew up in NZ? Isn't that basically only an accent they teach to people who are learning English (as a second language) anyway?

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Good question, I think I adopted it in my early teens when I realised that people were less likely to beat the poo poo out of you if they thought you were an exchange student.

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

That just leaves even more questions..

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
I dunno, I think it answers a few.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Sounds like our friend has a 'refined' accent aka Australian 60's sitcom english

Tonight is the first time I've ever actually seen anything on parliament TV. Tamati Coffey kicking arse, his is the only speech so far that has had the slightest relevance to the law in question. Otherwise the debate is about the level of a grey forum flame war with all the swearwords taken out. I think Kris Faafoi decided to play with his kids or his yo-yo or something instead of practising his speech because his delivery was absolutely dire.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

WarpedNaba posted:

I was speaking on the phone with a rather irate fellow from Hamilton who claimed I was a foreigner due to my RP accent, and claimed all I existed to do was to steal kiwi resources and starve his children.

Well, I mean, if I didn't have the motivation before...

He also claimed the Earth was flat, but given he's from Hamilton I was slightly more inclined to give him a free pass as far being batshit was concerned.

So you are surprised people think you are from a different country despite the fact you have deliberately affected the accent of a different country

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

"Why aren't you enacting groundshaking legislative changes on this day, exactly 87.3 working days approximately into you're term of government. Are you out of ideas, labour failiures?" :smug:
= Literally every single opposition speech so far, it's really boring.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Wandle Cax posted:

So you are surprised people think you are from a different country despite the fact you have deliberately affected the accent of a different country

I wasn't surprised, but pay attention:

bike tory posted:

Besides, that thing I thought of in my early teens? It helped - I didn't have any bones broken for all of my high school years.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
https://twitter.com/deltablues_king/status/965814089560674304

this guy's an idiot pig & would probably be worse than collins

here's simon bridges speaking:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eD2JKoKGrjA

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

WarpedNaba posted:

Besides, that thing I thought of in my early teens? It helped - I didn't have any bones broken for all of my high school years.
Honestly interested in this New Zealand high school where you get the bash for speaking with a New Zealand accent.

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...
Also I'm dumb as hell so what's an RP accent?

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Received Pronunciation - it's a British accent.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Charles 2 of Spain posted:

Honestly interested in this New Zealand high school where you get the bash for speaking with a New Zealand accent.

Havelock High, where I got the bash for being weird before a rumour went around that I was from out of the country.

By the time one of my teachers pointed out that I was kiwi, I'd already figured out a hiding spot in the crafts building with a couple of computers and a lockable door.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
That's sad and I had a pretty lonely time at high school too

Still it's pretty weird that kids would beat you up as a local but when they thought you were british they were like oh well that's ok then, he's weird but it must be a british thing, perfectly understandable, go about your business

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Oh actually I remember this interview, I had heard him speaking. I guess I couldn't remember his accent because it isn't remarkable, it sounds like a pretty average kiwi accent to me. So I don't get it, what is there to either criticise OR defend about it?

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

Bridges is stupid because of the things he says and does, not the manner in which he says and does them.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Wandle Cax posted:

Still it's pretty weird that kids would beat you up as a local but when they thought you were british they were like oh well that's ok then, he's weird but it must be a british thing, perfectly understandable, go about your business

High school kids are idiot cunts?

Fwiw I had an actual legitimate foreign accent as a kid, by the time I got to high school most people couldn't spot it anymore and I didn't see any difference in the way I was treated (hint: badly). I literally got made fun of for reading books because literacy is for losers or something.

Edit: speaking of schools

Could it be? A government that actually...cares about the public...? It's a strange sensation.

Slavvy fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Feb 20, 2018

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

exmarx posted:

https://twitter.com/deltablues_king/status/965814089560674304

this guy's an idiot pig & would probably be worse than collins

here's simon bridges speaking:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eD2JKoKGrjA

Let's not forget his links with Cameron Slater and Simon Lusk.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

I get asked about my accent sometimes and where I'm from even though I'm just a boring pakeha. Apparently I talk a bit weird. :shrug:

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

bike tory posted:

Oh actually I remember this interview, I had heard him speaking. I guess I couldn't remember his accent because it isn't remarkable, it sounds like a pretty average kiwi accent to me. So I don't get it, what is there to either criticise OR defend about it?

It's just a really exaggerated awful sounding accent, but Key had a terrible accent too and people seemed not to mind so yeah I don't know what the fuss is

Wandle Cax fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Feb 20, 2018

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Ratios and Tendency posted:

I get asked about my accent sometimes and where I'm from even though I'm just a boring pakeha. Apparently I talk a bit weird. :shrug:

Same. I blame listening to Thomas the Tank Engine audiobooks in my formative years.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Wandle Cax posted:

It's just a really exaggerated awful sounding accent, but Key had a terrible accent too and people seemed not to mind so yeah I don't know what the fuss is

It is a distraction technique. Tell everyone not to hold his accent against him now everyone is busy saying they don’t care about his accent and not talking about this terrible policies etc.
Sounds like a Lusk/Slater style play.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Slavvy posted:

Edit: speaking of schools

Could it be? A government that actually...cares about the public...? It's a strange sensation.

There are literally no details in that article as to the content of this "biggest shakeup to education since 1989" beyond a bit of speculation and some meaningless buzzwords like "21st century education" so I'll reserve judgement until details come out. Chipkins listens to the sector (a little bit anyway) so I'm at least a little bit hopeful, though.

On accents I took on more of an American r sound in my mid-late teens because I played videogames with Americans and it was an easy way to make myself more intelligible. Its not super pronounced or affected or anything but it's been really helpful now that I'm living overseas. I've been asked occasionally which part of the states I'm from, but only ever by kiwis.

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...

Charles 2 of Spain posted:

Received Pronunciation - it's a British accent.

Cool.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Speaking of plummy accents, my mum was a radio interviewer when she was younger and has always said she interviewed the Beatles and Monty Python in 1964, so I randomly sent in a request to RNZ archives yesterday and got a reply back with a link which goes live tomorrow! I'll post it here. Nz Radio was all about the RP back then.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

bike tory posted:

There are literally no details in that article as to the content of this "biggest shakeup to education since 1989" beyond a bit of speculation and some meaningless buzzwords like "21st century education" so I'll reserve judgement until details come out. Chipkins listens to the sector (a little bit anyway) so I'm at least a little bit hopeful, though.

I don’t think there are any details yet. He wants to have a complete review of the education sector. There probably will be massive changes but what they are hasn’t been put forward yet.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
the cabinet paper's been proactively released http://www.education.govt.nz/assets...nd-Overview.pdf

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Wandle Cax posted:

Teachers came down way harder on people who beat up income-supplementing foreigners wonderful breaths of fresh air than your average schmuck, and the students knew it.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

exmarx posted:

the cabinet paper's been proactively released http://www.education.govt.nz/assets...nd-Overview.pdf

This is much better, I'll be really interested to see what comes out of the summit.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Oh hey, Marlon has a new album out.

http://www.kcrw.com/music/shows/morning-becomes-eclectic/marlon-williams-2018-02-12

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Yeah, it's real good

• Locked thread