Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

kantan na nihongo de onegaishimasu

...is likely to get you spoken to in english

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

Question Mark Mound posted:

I need to find out how to say "I'm a dumb bitch and don't understand any of the super polite conjugation you're using, please use the most basic of Japanese with me. I promise you're not being rude."

The more helpful a Japanese person is trying to be, the less likely I am to know what they're telling me.

If you struggle enough in preschool-level nihongo it gets there eventually unless they are more confident in speaking English than the average person. Still, as someone who has a very basic understanding of casual Japanese and almost no understanding of keigo I really empathize with this. I should probably find some youtube videos or something that cover the basics of that before my next trip.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

MJP posted:

What's something one can do in Tokyo that involves being off your feet for a long period of time and isn't in a hotel room? Even our "let's take it easy" day turned into an endurance walk fest. Don't make my mistake, people, hydrate more than you think you need getting around.

Get on the Yamanote and sit by a window on the left side. Ride around. Switch to the right side. Ride around again.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I need to find out how to say "I'm a dumb bitch and don't understand any of the super polite conjugation you're using, please use the most basic of Japanese with me. I promise you're not being rude."

The more helpful a Japanese person is trying to be, the less likely I am to know what they're telling me.

zmcnulty posted:

kantan na nihongo de onegaishimasu

...is likely to get you spoken to in english

This. You’re not Japanese, they’ll speak to you in English. You can certainly try to speak the language right off, and I commend you for trying, but it’s a lot easier on everyone involved if the conversation falls back to business English.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
I think that if you have to ask how to express something like that then it's probably unlikely to help you. If you can pretty easily and clearly convey at least that much in Japanese then it's likely that whomever you're speaking to would understand to stop using keigo or so much of it.

totalnewbie fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Mar 28, 2023

Shemp the Stooge
Feb 23, 2001

Grand Fromage posted:

I fuckin love reading one star reviews here. They're incredibly petty, it's great.

Here is a review from a coin laundry near my house - "There was a person who was using 3 washing machines by himself, and even though I went all the way, I left without washing the futon!
The customer's morals are too bad rather than the shop" 1/5

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Shemp the Stooge posted:

Here is a review from a coin laundry near my house - "There was a person who was using 3 washing machines by himself, and even though I went all the way, I left without washing the futon!
Strong Bad Rats review energy

LyonsLions
Oct 10, 2008

I'm only using 18% of my full power !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Shemp the Stooge posted:

I think I’ve been to that laundromat. There was an old lady there who kept taking people’s stuff out of the dryers before it was done and putting hers in.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Shemp the Stooge posted:

Superb.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

Pollyanna posted:

This. You’re not Japanese, they’ll speak to you in English. You can certainly try to speak the language right off, and I commend you for trying, but it’s a lot easier on everyone involved if the conversation falls back to business English.

Yeah if you know your japanese is good use japanese but otherwise vOv.

Ive been approached in English before and usually find ways to hint that JP is easier and it works out better. Except for that one person at the rental car center near nihonbashi. I let him talk in English and then when he got to the point about explainig safety plans and couldnt do so correctly I finally said in japanese "oh dont worry you can explain things in Japanese too" and then the guy was like WHY DIDNT YOU TELL ME EARLIER. I was like "oh you were trying so hard and doing so well!"

Also at ryokan dinners i prefer they explain things in japanese because they never know how to explain ingredients in english. They are always trained to have a canned speech for Japanese explanations of menu ingredients.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

Pollyanna posted:

I can concur - a visible load comes off the shoulders of any Japanese person I've interacted with if I start off in Japanese. If I have to pause to look something up it helps to have Google Translate handy, but most of the time the other person is easily able to express the answer if I don't get the words. Just tilt your ear as if it's too loud, it's the universal "louder and slower please" and things work out.

Also it helps to have tons of anime, there's enough context and vocabulary to pick up. I'm not kidding - it's no way to learn the language but you can grab a few useful terms and phrases.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Eh. I’ve gotten perfectly good Japanese listening comprehension practice from watching insane YouTubers and streamers rant about their day and banter with each other, and it’s all been (somewhat) more natural than anything anime does IME.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

I too just copy Tkyosam's Japanese skills and attitude

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Weeb tourism opinion: Nakano Broadway > Akihabara. The former has more cool stuff from seasons and years past, the latter for the latest and waifuest. If that's your cuppa, go for it, but if you're like me and don't give a crap and a half about the latest season of Uma Musume, Vtubers, and Genshin Impact, you're best served by Nakano.

The retro game and electronics/components parts of Akihabara are more worth seeing as a stop, though. Those kicked rear end. Second only to the night view of the sprawl as the most cyberpunk scenes so far.

Also, as nice as the Hyatt Regency has been, I definitely think first timers would be better served by goon zeitgeist opinion - Shimbashi or thereabouts may have been the better area to stay. The part of Shinjuku where the Hyatt and Hilton are located is nice and quiet at night, very peaceful, but decentralized. Pretty much everything we did was east or south. Not awful, we knew what we were getting into, and the large room + English competent staff + free breakfast vouchers (Amex travel perk, apparently) are very good to have. The location factor just means that when you're back at the hotel, you kinda feel capital-d Done.

MJP fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Mar 29, 2023

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Nakano is a really nice area in general. It's not as crowded as Tokyo in general but still feels pretty "big". Akihabara is more for the masses, but on Sundays when the streets are open it's kind of nice to just walk anywhere you want.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Are the animation cels from the shops in Nakano Broadway likely to be real production ones or just repros? I bought a douga sketch from one a few years back and it lines up pretty drat well with what the final frame was and I enjoy looking at it even if it's not an original, but it would be neat to know it was part of the production of a show.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Maybe it was just poor timing but when I went to Nakano Broadway a majority of the stores were shuttered. Perhaps they are more active in the evenings? I did find a store that resold gashapon for cheap and thats why I remember it fondly, there was a place in Den Den town I visited doing the same thing but the prices were really high. I don't remember seeing something like that in Akihabara but since they have that huge 3000 gashapon machine store theres got to be one there now for sure right?

Usually I only get things that super interest me but now that I have a place I can display my gashapon machines I need to find cheap filler for when friends visit to amuse them.

So yeah NB is on the list of places I will be revisiting for sure.

EDIT: Oops the 3000 gashapon store is in Ikebukuro not Akihabara

Blackchamber fucked around with this message at 11:40 on Mar 29, 2023

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Blackchamber posted:

Maybe it was just poor timing but when I went to Nakano Broadway a majority of the stores were shuttered. Perhaps they are more active in the evenings?

A huge part of Nakano Broadway is the Mandarake chain, they open doors at 12 noon as far as I remember. I saw them opening the stores when I visited in November, right before they opened the shutters it sounded almost like a religious ceremony. But yes, the top floor is largely unoccupied, and the floor just below also has lots of storefronts for rent. Or maybe they aren't for rent, and just empty. As far as I know, the entire Nakano Broadway is still slated to be closed and demolished some time soon.

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

I didn't end up going to nakano on my trip but the underground mandarake in shibuya is really drat cool (I couldn't justify the prices and just bought some kaiju toys at bic)

Wonton
Jul 5, 2012

MJP posted:

Weeb tourism opinion: Nakano Broadway > Akihabara. The former has more cool stuff from seasons and years past, the latter for the latest and waifuest. If that's your cuppa, go for it, but if you're like me and don't give a crap and a half about the latest season of Uma Musume, Vtubers, and Genshin Impact, you're best served by Nakano.

The retro game and electronics/components parts of Akihabara are more worth seeing as a stop, though. Those kicked rear end. Second only to the night view of the sprawl as the most cyberpunk scenes so far.

Also, as nice as the Hyatt Regency has been, I definitely think first timers would be better served by goon zeitgeist opinion - Shimbashi or thereabouts may have been the better area to stay. The part of Shinjuku where the Hyatt and Hilton are located is nice and quiet at night, very peaceful, but decentralized. Pretty much everything we did was east or south. Not awful, we knew what we were getting into, and the large room + English competent staff + free breakfast vouchers (Amex travel perk, apparently) are very good to have. The location factor just means that when you're back at the hotel, you kinda feel capital-d Done.

Very good take, please come back and enjoy japan!

Also don’t go too early because nerds never wake up early

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Are the animation cels from the shops in Nakano Broadway likely to be real production ones or just repros? I bought a douga sketch from one a few years back and it lines up pretty drat well with what the final frame was and I enjoy looking at it even if it's not an original, but it would be neat to know it was part of the production of a show.

I was at one shop in Nakano that sold cels. If they were repros they looked drat good. Many had production cues or other bits that I assume weren't on camera. They also had a bunch of production sketches. One folder had a ton from Legend of the Galactic Heroes and I had to very calmly set it down and talk myself down from dropping 50k yen on Yang sipping tea.

Speaking of which, I didn't know there was a LoGH Cafe in Ueno. We stumbled across it on our way back home last night. According to their website menu, the Yang themed drink is just brandy with a little bit of black tea. Stupid perfect ideas.

Wonton posted:

Very good take, please come back and enjoy japan!

Also don’t go too early because nerds never wake up early

Oh we are still here, last few nights in Tokyo before it's on to one night at a ryokan in Hakone then a short week in Osaka.

Also it seems like only salarymen and OLs wake up early, nothing here seems to open up before 11 AM, what the heck

MJP fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Mar 29, 2023

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

MJP posted:

I was at one shop in Nakano that sold cels. If they were repros they looked drat good. Many had production cues or other bits that I assume weren't on camera. They also had a bunch of production sketches. One folder had a ton from Legend of the Galactic Heroes and I had to very calmly set it down and talk myself down from dropping 50k yen on Yang sipping tea.

I am glad I never found this.

I think they're all real cels since the studios otherwise just throw them away, why not make a buck instead? There's no real need to fake them.

socketwrencher
Apr 10, 2012

Be still and know.
Are cheap (like sub-$100/night) business hotels in places like Tokyo and Osaka, where you can always get a room without a reservation, likely to be available in July? We're coordinating a trip with two other parties who are into the let's-just-wing-it thing.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
Japan is one place I wouldn't really just "wing it" as cities can actually sell out of proper hotel rooms. At the least, you can always book hotels with a flexible and free cancellation policy where you can cancel 24 hours before.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.

socketwrencher posted:

Are cheap (like sub-$100/night) business hotels in places like Tokyo and Osaka, where you can always get a room without a reservation, likely to be available in July? We're coordinating a trip with two other parties who are into the let's-just-wing-it thing.

Wanna go to a music festival at the end of July?

Also, don't suggest trying to wing it. There are a LOT of hotels so sure, there might be vacancies in some of them. Finding them though might be a different matter. And they've probably got vacancies for a reason (location, etc)

socketwrencher
Apr 10, 2012

Be still and know.

totalnewbie posted:

Wanna go to a music festival at the end of July?

Would love to, but we're doing July 1-21 and there's going to be 8-10 people in our traveling circus.

totalnewbie posted:

Also, don't suggest trying to wing it. There are a LOT of hotels so sure, there might be vacancies in some of them. Finding them though might be a different matter. And they've probably got vacancies for a reason (location, etc)

Makes sense, thanks. It's a challenge when everyone has different ideas and different budgets, so I'm trying to stay flexible.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

MJP posted:

I hadn’t watched LOGH by my last trip. Now I absolutely want a cel from it…

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

socketwrencher posted:

We paid $85 a night for our three-bed hotel room in Tokyo that we booked last fall; one of the people in my party has to go back and stay an extra couple of days, it's $220 a night for a single.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Question about your average sushi restaurant, would it be reasonable to expect that any rando sushi place that I pick from a map have a cooked fish option or two for sushi, like blowtorched mackerel or something like that? My mum doesn't particularly like raw fish whereas I quite like it so it would be nice to find an option that can accommodate both of us.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

socketwrencher posted:

No. Book ahead. Most sites let you do free cancellation until like two days before the reservation so it's not an issue. If you really want to be flexible, there's nothing stopping you from booking multiple hotels in different places then deciding later.

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Ibblebibble posted:

Question about your average sushi restaurant, would it be reasonable to expect that any rando sushi place that I pick from a map have a cooked fish option or two for sushi, like blowtorched mackerel or something like that? My mum doesn't particularly like raw fish whereas I quite like it so it would be nice to find an option that can accommodate both of us.
Every sushi place I've been to, from sushi train to upscale, has had some sort of cooked fish option.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Charles 2 of Spain posted:

Every sushi place I've been to, from sushi train to upscale, has had some sort of cooked fish option.

Sweet, guess that's one less thing to worry about.

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Do you often sing or whistle just for fun?
I just started looking at hotels for our trip at the end of Dec and oh boy accommodation in Tokyo over the post Xmas - new years period seems to be eye wateringly expensive. Would it be a good idea to head straight from Tokyo upon our arrival and head to Kyoto or Osaka for a couple of days just to save some coin on accommodation (as it seems to be comparatively a lot cheaper to Tokyo) then return to Tokyo around the end of our trip and the prices have dropped down? Or is Tokyo super magic over new years and worth the cost of being there then?

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

People visit their families over New Years time and a lot of places will be closed for a few days. Depending on the day you arrive, the bullet train to Kansai could be absolutely packed as well. I'm not sure why Tokyo is more expensive, maybe they expect a lot of tourists at that time?

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

I don't remember the accommodation upcharge for even a single very young child being this high in Japan. Lots more hotels than the last visits I made treat all children regardless of age as adults when it comes to pricing. Families are really getting squeezed.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Have to make up for the millions and millions lost during covid somehow.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

socketwrencher posted:

Would love to, but we're doing July 1-21 and there's going to be 8-10 people in our traveling circus.

Makes sense, thanks. It's a challenge when everyone has different ideas and different budgets, so I'm trying to stay flexible.

This is insanity, and I would not travel with these people. That goes triple if this includes children.

If it's just naivety and these people just haven't traveled seriously before, you may try to reason with them, but honestly if for whatever reason you absolutely have to travel with them and they insist on this, you should make your own plans and allow them to wing it on their own and you can just hang out during the day (spoiler, you will not be hanging out much during the day as they spend most of their time dealing with the logistics of "winging it").

Ham Equity fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Mar 30, 2023

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Mister Chief posted:

Have to make up for the millions and millions lost during covid somehow.

Maybe so, but it doesn't seem like they are targeting individuals or couples mostly at all. Prices very comparable if not the same at the same locations I have visited before. It's very disappointing.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
That's too bad! It's a great time.

Also, this will be fine if you all agree that there's no reason to stick together all the time, that you all get sim cards and so you can stay in contact independently, and decide beforehand how you will arrange dinners.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Grand Fromage posted:

I fuckin love reading one star reviews here. They're incredibly petty, it's great.

When I stopped in Matsuyama I looked up nearby sento and the closest one had just a ton of one star reviews complaining about Yakuza. Someone in the common area of my building also asked if I wasn't scared of Yakuza when I said that's where I was going. I was expecting it to be like you described with people overreacting to a bathhouse that doesn't care about foreigners with tattoos, but when I got into the bath there were a bunch of dudes in there with the full body tattoos with dragons and demons and poo poo, badass as hell.

It was otherwise just a normal sento though with really cheap prices, the yakuza dudes were just in there with their family and kids like any other people. We even talked a bit about my trip and they were pretty friendly.