Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I just killed myself as a phantom with my own chaos fire orb, somehow. Between that, a hacker phantom, and the hosts being bad at running and plunging phantoming at the wyvern isn't going so hot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marcus Garvey
Oct 24, 2015

HellCopter posted:

What's the SL meta right now? Gotta know what level to be at when I start fishing around NG+ for rings.

E: And am I correct in thinking that the pop arena is right after the Pontiff's door?

Anywhere from 100-120 for 1v1s, and yeah it's that area right past the pontiff.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

why are R1 rapier/straight sword spammers impossible for me to parry when i can reliably parry literally any other attack

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
Lag, maybe. Apparently the hard counter to Dark Sword r1 spam is "mash the parry button" because I was getting parried in the midst of combos.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

ThomasPancake posted:

Are any of the boss soul weapons any good? I got the pontiff ring that heals on consecutive hits, but I honestly don't notice it doing a thing.

It really seems like a few of the normal weapons, longswords in particular, just outclass everything else with the right infusion. On my Strength build I've been using Wolf Knight's Greatsword, but I would be doing considerably more damage with just an upgraded Broadsword, which feels bad man.

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014
is there really only three equipable magic find items? loll... nice one from

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
I've been having a jolly good time tonight invading in Irithyll but I always feel vaguely guilty whenever I kill a solo host. The ones who are making their way through Irithyll without any buddies are usually pretty poor at the game (judging from their inability to win duels against a sorcerer rocking a Crystal Sage's Rapier and not even any homing soulmass/crystal spear spells). They're usually in super heavy armor and weapons, too. I recently let a dude who'd fought valiantly against me for several minutes finish me off even though I could have easily ended him with one more poke. Enjoy the ember, buddy :unsmith:

I don't feel guilty at all for killing the hosts who bring 2-3 phantom buddies, or Dark Sword spammers. All bets are off when you do that. I will kite you into enemies repeatedly and wait for the flame pillars to knock you up before blasting you with Great Heavy Soul Arrows.

What's the weapon that's glowing dark blue and is a rapier? It looks almost like the Ice Rapier from DS2.

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014
miyazaki drags this game down

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer

ThomasPancake posted:

Are any of the boss soul weapons any good? I got the pontiff ring that heals on consecutive hits, but I honestly don't notice it doing a thing.

Demon's axe let me steam roll most of the game.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

had a GREAT night of pvp

screw irithyll, road of sacrifice pvp is where it's at

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

dragonslayer axe owns bones.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

Andrast posted:

I hope we get a sequel to the Adventures of Cookie and Cream next

I just looked this up and oh my god. I played this game with a friend way back! I had no idea FROM made it.

This game was platforming satan, despite the cutesy art direction.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Fibby Boy posted:

Demon's axe let me steam roll most of the game.

For me it was Yhorm's sword that let me literally crush faces.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
Somehow beat the game as a lvl80 Pyro. 21Vit, 30/30 Int/Fth, scattered other stats. My Chaos Hand Axe+9 was 100% garbage in the last fight sadly. Not that the 80 part is some challenge, just people in here kept saying it was an average cut-off for the covenants in NG.

The goddamn fire/dark clutch rings were needed depending on Chaos/Dark orbs, and the damage amp to you really sucked the entire time.

Also, the debuff countdowns that kept appearing after travels/respawns went away when I put the Fleshbite Ring in the item box. I took it back out, but they still haven't returned -yet-.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

hahaha gently caress, that's amazing

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
Feels like Vigor after 20 points or so is kinda not that great because your Estus only heals for so much. Vitality is a great dump stat though, it gives a lot of defense per point in the 20-30 range.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
So I don't know if this is just a "git gud" scenario or what but I cannot for the life of me beat the abyss walker. I can consistently get him to the second phase but those fire attacks just wreck me. Closest I've gotten him is around a quarter health after like 20 tries.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

PantsBandit posted:

So I don't know if this is just a "git gud" scenario or what but I cannot for the life of me beat the abyss walker. I can consistently get him to the second phase but those fire attacks just wreck me. Closest I've gotten him is around a quarter health after like 20 tries.

Dodge towards him, not away from him.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Feels like Vigor after 20 points or so is kinda not that great because your Estus only heals for so much. Vitality is a great dump stat though, it gives a lot of defense per point in the 20-30 range.

I thought vigor to 30 was fine then it felt kinda gross after that

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

PantsBandit posted:

Try out the Dragon Crest Shield and/or Flash Sweat.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

ThomasPancake posted:

Crystal Rapier's pretty good if you're a Sorcerer. Good magic damage scaling, rapid rapier moveset for stunlocking with an even longer reach, oh and bonus item find.

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Buy some freaking medicine.

ThomasPancake posted:

dragonslayer swordspear is at the rear end end of the game but its really good

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

thanks mister.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Brannock posted:

Try out the Dragon Crest

Wow I have no idea why I wasn't doing that from the beginning.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

voltcatfish posted:

I thought vigor to 30 was fine then it felt kinda gross after that

The softcap is 27, which is also conveniently enough to give you exactly 1000 base health.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I really like scouting ahead by putting down my white sign to find out what's going on ahead everytime I find a new bonfire. I learn how terrifying some of that crap is.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

What weapon should I switch to late game when the Raw Broadsword starts to lose its luster? Was thinking Wolf Greatsword into Fume.

Also, if I respec, will it break Sirris' quest?

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Ok, I got every NG and NG+ ring

time for NG+++ after I get all the pyros, and miracles :shepicide:

question: If you have the Rosaria's Fingers covenant item, can you summon the Xanthous person, or do you need to have the covenant equipped

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Deviant posted:

What weapon should I switch to late game when the Raw Broadsword starts to lose its luster? Was thinking Wolf Greatsword into Fume.

Also, if I respec, will it break Sirris' quest?

Interacting with Rosaria's fingers at all breaks Sirris questline, outside of just getting the covenant item (equipping it breaks the quest)

Xenothral
Aug 1, 2013

No one's left... Everything's gone...! Zebes is burning!

BillmasterCozb posted:

Ok, I got every NG and NG+ ring

time for NG+++ after I get all the pyros, and miracles :shepicide:

question: If you have the Rosaria's Fingers covenant item, can you summon the Xanthous person, or do you need to have the covenant equipped

You just need to give Rosaria a pale tongue after killing Xanthous person when they invade I think, I was able to summon her while wearing a different covenant.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

If you're going for a greatsword/shield build, should I make the sword heavy? Also about how much endurance is a good idea?

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Mechafunkzilla posted:

The first thing I do on a new character right now is get VGR up to 27. It's not so much about how much estus heals as how much it saves you when you get caught by one enemy and that one enemy immediately becomes four.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

i think 27 VIG is probably the maximum you should go unless you're doing some weird gimmick build

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Babe Magnet posted:

Interacting with Rosaria's fingers at all breaks Sirris questline, outside of just getting the covenant item (equipping it breaks the quest)

it's possible even getting the covenant item breaks her quest. i only got the covenant item, sirris was otherwise cool with me but i hadn't completed her quest, and she just vanished from my game. not even like a mad statement or anything, just disappeared and never came back. other than getting the rosaria covenant item, i never gave her a tongue or equipped it.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

sirris only breaks if you give rosaria a pale tongue or equip the covenant. i joined rosaria but never gave her a pale tongue or equipped it and i was able to do her entire quest line

Mummy Brigade
Sep 12, 2004

Jeez. You're kind of a bitch.
Finally found a build that clicks with me, and I'm so close to finishing the game. So far, the hardest boss for me has been that Demon right before Smouldering Lake. I tried to use the mimic to kill him but he ruined the mimic and made me use about 4 embers before I finally got him down. Generally, I have way more trouble with invasion NPCs than I do the bosses and I've pretty much one shot the bosses that give people the most trouble (Pontiff, Aldrich, Dancer) but that may be because Great Chaos Fire Orb is a ridiculous crutch, especially loaded up with the Swamp Ring, Witch Ring and Fire Clutch Ring paired with 30/30 Int and Faith.

Edit RE: Rosaria Chat: Respeccing is considered the same as offering a Pale Tongue for Sirris's questline. I got the adversaries line from Sirris right after respeccing at Rosaria, so just a heads up on that.

Mummy Brigade fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Apr 25, 2016

hampig
Feb 11, 2004
...curioser and curioser...
So now that I've completed my blind run on straight sword easy mode, I'm shopping around for some fun weapons. Can anyone recommend some solid strength weapons to go with a 30 faith build? Drang hammers seem interesting, bandit/battle axe seem solid but are super boring, and strike damage doesn't seem to be the big draw it was in DS2. Probably not leaning towards something super slow, any suggestions?

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

hampig posted:

So now that I've completed my blind run on straight sword easy mode, I'm shopping around for some fun weapons. Can anyone recommend some solid strength weapons to go with a 30 faith build? Drang hammers seem interesting, bandit/battle axe seem solid but are super boring, and strike damage doesn't seem to be the big draw it was in DS2. Probably not leaning towards something super slow, any suggestions?

Zweihander.

Go look up videos of the weapon skill/art to see why.

Kablammo
Oct 23, 2010
I'm on playthrough #2, following the npc quests I missed the first time (all of them in other words) and I'm just about to fight the boss first boss of the Valley. I've spoken to Squidward in the kitchen and Anri in the church (Going for the complicated ending of the game). If I go to the dungeon immediately after P.S. will I break either of these 2 questlines? Some of the Anri stuff is unbelievably finicky in regards to zone progress so I thought I'd check before screwing myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I'm never going to beat this game, I keep making new characters for pvp gimmicks