Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Rudeboy Detective posted:

Is there a goonfleet rule against tricking TEST into clicking links to weird fetish videos on youtube?

Asking for a friend.

Not as far as I know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames

Is there a goonfleet rule against tricking TEST into clicking links to weird fetish videos on youtube?

Asking for a friend.

I went to https://community.eveonline.com/support/policies/terms-of-service-en/ to see if there was a CCP rule against it:

quote:

You may not use any abusive, defamatory, ethnically or racially offensive, harassing, harmful, hateful, obscene, offensive, sexually explicit, threatening or vulgar language. (Alternate spelling or partial masking of such words will be reprimanded in the same manner as the actual use of such words.)

But it doesn't mention URLs. I couldn't actually find anything about URLs. So you could technically link to anything online, as long as it's not illegal or advertising. Someone want to correct me if I missed something in the TOS.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Charles 1998 posted:

I went to https://community.eveonline.com/support/policies/terms-of-service-en/ to see if there was a CCP rule against it:

But it doesn't mention URLs. I couldn't actually find anything about URLs. So you could technically link to anything online, as long as it's not illegal or advertising. Someone want to correct me if I missed something in the TOS.

Though CCP basically makes the rules up as it goes- they can ban you for anything if they feel like it.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

I've been looking at this rule specifically, and, uhmm. I guess scamming falls into ingame services? Kind-of?

quote:

You may not market, sell, advertise, promote, solicit or otherwise arrange for the exchange or transfer of items in the game or other game services unless it is for in-game sales of in-game services or items.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

Though CCP basically makes the rules up as it goes- they can ban you for anything if they feel like it.

This is true for literally any game or online service. There is always an Airbud rule.

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames

Charles 1998 posted:

Nevermind, I found this: https://support.eveonline.com/hc/en-us/articles/203209732-Harassment-and-offensive-behavior

quote:

The submission of offensive language, links to offensive or obscene material or the masking of obscene language sent to in game chat channels (public and private) by players is not permitted. Full conditions concerning such restrictions are covered in the Terms of Service.

So links are covered. Youtube has tons of obscene and offensive content, so just because it's on YouTube doesn't mean it's safe to share on EVE. For example, you can find detailed videos of women giving birth.

Charles 1998 fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Aug 24, 2020

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames

Private Speech posted:

I've been looking at this rule specifically, and, uhmm. I guess scamming falls into ingame services? Kind-of?

Well, scamming is the same as a regular trade, except the scammer doesn't hold up their end of the bargain. Any rules regarding legit trade apply to scamming as well.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
I drunkenly jump into G-M4GK pretty regularly and spam their local with ascii poop images and middle fingers and stuff.

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

Sigma squad is still alive?

froody guy
Jun 25, 2013

Discussion Quorum posted:

I forgot that the CCP Linux launcher is just a wrapper for a custom wineroot so I guess the answer to the game being playable under WINE is yes :v:

I just tried it. Downloaded it from the EVE forums, launched the script, it did all by itself, 5 minutes later I was logged in. I tried multiple accounts and everything seems to works perfectly. I went as far as going from D-W to 1DQ in my leopard. Mother of goondor so I did login afterall :cripes:

To all the normies still using win, so now you know: you shell not be excused!

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

Wibla posted:

Not as far as I know.

Phew.

I was afraid that posting a video of a man being knitted into a wool sarcophagus and calling it Mittani's surrender speech was a little too rude.

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

Don't want to end up a cartoon

In a cartoon graveyard

is there anything i should know about the last half a decade or more of changes to the game as i start up an account? i see you can get like fifty billion skillpoints for cash so starting out isn't as painful now and the system is probably a way more fleshed out version of how echoes runs with subscribing.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

esto es malo posted:

is there anything i should know about the last half a decade or more of changes to the game as i start up an account? i see you can get like fifty billion skillpoints for cash so starting out isn't as painful now and the system is probably a way more fleshed out version of how echoes runs with subscribing.

Yeah for $40 you get like 1.5m skill points, which is like a month of normal training. I bought the "gold pack" thing after I got bored getting killed in alpha-only ships which was $50 (normal video game price) for two months of Omega, 500 plex (which is enough for another month), and 250k skill points. I almost have enough isk to buy another month of omega at this point so hopefully I can play for free from now on.

I also found a wormhole to highsec and imported hundreds of PI command centers (only available from empire NPC stations) which hopefully was a good use of my time. There's a huge markup on them in Delve, probably because they're absolutely enormous (1000m3). If anyone wants to start a PI setup send me a PM and I'll give you some for free.

Keegers
Aug 11, 2014

Speaking of PI. Is it still easy money?

I feel like I'll need to actually sit down and read how to do PI if it is an easy 100-150mil a week per character like I've been reading.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!
Apropos of nothing, the fact that EVE-O's most consistent, most-viewed streamer when INN isn't online is a USMC recruiter makes me want to violently vomit.

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.
Crayon Ron is also an absolutely dogshit streamer tbh

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

EVE ONLINE IS MY ENTIRE PERSONALITY BECAUSE IM A FRIENDLESS SEMILITERATE LOSER WHO WILL PEDANTICALLY DEMAND PROOF FOR BASIC THINGS LIKE GRAVITY OR THE EXISTENCE OF SELF. ASK ME ABOUT CHEATING AT TARKOV BECAUSE, WELL, SEE ABOVE
he probably eats the blue crayons :wiggle:

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Keegers posted:

Speaking of PI. Is it still easy money?

I feel like I'll need to actually sit down and read how to do PI if it is an easy 100-150mil a week per character like I've been reading.

It's certainly easy money, though I'm not sure how much yet, I just started figuring it out a few days ago. You basically just set up a few planets mining stuff and doing basic reprocessing, and then you get a barren planet assembling it all into stuff that people will buy (probably a station fuel or repair paste or something since those are always needed) and then you only really have to fly around consolidating and shipping the resources like once a week My crappy 4 planet slapdash setup is making like 100mil a week though as long as I can get it all up to 1DQ1 without getting blown up. I've just been dumping it all in the local keepstar for now

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Asking for a friend.

No, it just gets them riled because they hate falling for their own tricks.

So they start posting gore

Caeks
Dec 27, 2009

I just started Eve around a week ago. I'd given it a few goes years ago (When Vilerat was still around, o7) but it never caught my attention for long (Due to WoW and eventually FFXIV focus). I wasn't expecting to like it as much as I have recently, and it looks like it's going to be my number 1 game for years to come.

I was thinking of joining Goonwaffe, but to be honest, the things I want to do and I've set my mind to accomplish have me thinking I might not want to associate with Goons directly, as that might spoil the plans. I don't want to say much, as I know there are spies EVERYWHERE and I should trust no one, but I have my eyes set on leaving a big impression and sowing chaos to rightly on goons.

I'm just confused on how to proceed and start.

And who to target.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Caeks posted:

I just started Eve around a week ago. I'd given it a few goes years ago (When Vilerat was still around, o7) but it never caught my attention for long (Due to WoW and eventually FFXIV focus). I wasn't expecting to like it as much as I have recently, and it looks like it's going to be my number 1 game for years to come.

I was thinking of joining Goonwaffe, but to be honest, the things I want to do and I've set my mind to accomplish have me thinking I might not want to associate with Goons directly, as that might spoil the plans. I don't want to say much, as I know there are spies EVERYWHERE and I should trust no one, but I have my eyes set on leaving a big impression and sowing chaos to rightly on goons.

I'm just confused on how to proceed and start.

And who to target.

If you want to leave a big impression and sow chaos, have you considered joining The Black Hand? Spies and skullduggery and so on, for the Imperium.

Caeks
Dec 27, 2009

dragonshardz posted:

If you want to leave a big impression and sow chaos, have you considered joining The Black Hand? Spies and skullduggery and so on, for the Imperium.

I didn't know The Black Hand was a thing, but I'm intrigued.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Caeks posted:

I didn't know The Black Hand was a thing, but I'm intrigued.

Yeah lets just say there's easier ways to figure out where an enemy fleet is going than watching them from afar.

There's a significant amount of logistics in passing that information to people who can do anything with it though, so you gotta play with goonswarm for awhile to learn about all that.

Caeks
Dec 27, 2009

Stereotype posted:

Yeah lets just say there's easier ways to figure out where an enemy fleet is going than watching them from afar.

There's a significant amount of logistics in passing that information to people who can do anything with it though, so you gotta play with goonswarm for awhile to learn about all that.

Alright then I'll apply. This should make things interesting.

On another note - I have a question. I lost a ship the other day exploring Null Sec while gate jumping, as it was stating that it was waiting for traffic control and I was unable to cancel the jump, but was getting fired upon by other players and ended up being killed without being able to do literally anything about it. What was that about?

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I ended up reading some of the old threads again due to that post I permaed yesterday. Hello again friends :) We really had some good fun back in the day!

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Caeks posted:

On another note - I have a question. I lost a ship the other day exploring Null Sec while gate jumping, as it was stating that it was waiting for traffic control and I was unable to cancel the jump, but was getting fired upon by other players and ended up being killed without being able to do literally anything about it. What was that about?

You died from internet poisoning. Its an MMO, its happens. The trick is to never fly anything so expensive that you care if you blow up. Just assume whenever you undock you are already dead.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Caeks posted:

If you get that message, you aren't gonna go gate jumping any time soon, you just have to spam that gate jump if that happens.

Or, comedy option, you got killed before the servers could register your jump. :v:

But don't worry, they'd have followed you through that gate, or had people waiting on the other side. You'd have been super-dead anyway.

It's worth trying, though! I had times were the other side was free, or people following me were too slow.

geonetix
Mar 6, 2011

Regardless, if you died while it was telling you traffic control (yeah you would've died on the other side), petition it anyway and CCP may give you the hull and most modules back.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

VideoGames posted:

I ended up reading some of the old threads again due to that post I permaed yesterday. Hello again friends :) We really had some good fun back in the day!

We have multi-front Goon nonsense going on right now. It's absolutely incredible.

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

Kesper North posted:

No, it just gets them riled because they hate falling for their own tricks.

So they start posting gore

Fukken yikes.

Foehammer007
Dec 7, 2011

by Pragmatica
grr goons

Caeks
Dec 27, 2009

Libluini posted:

If you get that message, you aren't gonna go gate jumping any time soon, you just have to spam that gate jump if that happens.

Or, comedy option, you got killed before the servers could register your jump. :v:

But don't worry, they'd have followed you through that gate, or had people waiting on the other side. You'd have been super-dead anyway.

It's worth trying, though! I had times were the other side was free, or people following me were too slow.

I was killed WHILE jumping between the gates, as in - the warping animation was constantly running, counting down from 2 hours until air traffic control cleared me, but while the warping animation was running I was being fired upon by capsuleers. The ship wasn't expensive or anything, as I'm just starting playing, but I thought that maybe I was missing a mechanic that I could've avoided and needed to learn from. I'm taking it, though, that this just so happened to be a fluke and I died due to server lag or something.

Penguin Bacon
Apr 19, 2010

VideoGames posted:

We miss you VG. Come back and try a hellwar.

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009
I hope this person is trolling, nobody can be so unfunny and dumb
this war just seems like a few tired old people hitting each other

Caeks
Dec 27, 2009

Are there any interesting streamers to watch or are they all pretty poo poo?

I'm looking at streaming and making videos of my experience - with me wanting to join the Black Hand, I figure I can make videos on a character I'm using to infiltrate with while giving away no plans until they are done and hatched. A sort of video catalog of following a character's story and it won't be revealed until the end and the heist or objective is completed.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Caeks posted:

Are there any interesting streamers to watch or are they all pretty poo poo?

I'm looking at streaming and making videos of my experience - with me wanting to join the Black Hand, I figure I can make videos on a character I'm using to infiltrate with while giving away no plans until they are done and hatched. A sort of video catalog of following a character's story and it won't be revealed until the end and the heist or objective is completed.

Streaming EVE is not a good plan if you're also going to be doing skulduggerous infiltration of hostiles.

froody guy
Jun 25, 2013

VideoGames posted:

The good ole times threads when VideoGames started playing this dead game and telling his experiences to this horde of salty posters... by the time you've got into your first Venture they all looked like cheerleaders at their first blowjob. And the iskies flew by and the hopeless did smile and the puffers were high. That was kinda disgusting but also so ;-*

fake edit: never not :420:

The Hambulance
Apr 19, 2011

:20bux:

ASK ME ABOUT MY AWESOME STARTUP IDEA

Pillbug

HAT GONS

Caeks
Dec 27, 2009

dragonshardz posted:

Streaming EVE is not a good plan if you're also going to be doing skulduggerous infiltration of hostiles.

I was thinking the same thing - but if I do a video catalog to upload later to youtube after a job is completed, I think I could pull it. It would, no doubt, take careful planning and such.

As well, I also think in theory using video or streaming evidence to make a subterfuge character SEEM valid might assist in warding off suspicion. Like I said, this would take careful planning - as in: Not ever showing evidence or information on a primary character, communication with potential allies in ensuring no one contacts or communicates with the character who's infiltrating, exc.

This is why I'm thinking using a subterfuge character, wherein the majority of allies don't know the character's information (a select few would know just based on a need-to-know-basis) might make it plausible.

Then again, I'm super new to this game, and there have probably been an uncountable number of pitfalls I've left unaccounted for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

GONS RUIN GAME