Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

wesleywillis posted:

I always thought that if I was going to test my Canadian Tire brand torque wrench, I'd set it at 50, put square drive in vise, and hang a 50 pound bag of sand, one foot from centre of drive (+/- a fraction of an inch of course), and gently put weight on it, see if it clicks, then adjust up or down. Then maybe a 66 pound bag of cement, two bags of sand etc.......Sounds like a pain, but one of these days I swear I'll do it.
That kind of idea should work fine and how I'd probably do it too, but I probably wouldn't bother going that heavy personally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

iospace posted:

Hmm... according to the documentation of the HF wrenches, they can be recalibrated, so I know what I'm buying tomorrow.

woah woah you dont just go buy a thing at HF

make sure you have coupons before you go, no matter what

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

I will not stop until every end table, every junk door, every corner of my house has their free screwdrivers and tape measures.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

Going to throw another recommendation here for the AC Delco digital torque adapters. They’re accurate, repeatable, don’t go out of calibration over time, and you can use any ratchet behind them. I’m a big fan.

Aquila
Jan 24, 2003

Uthor posted:

Seems like a good thread to ask in: recommendations for a good looking pair of steel toe boots?

I'm an engineer, so I don't need them often, occasionally working in the shop and infrequent customer visits. Don't really need anything beyond the steel toe (shock prevention, waterproofing, etc). I figure if I splurge on a nice, robust pair, it could last me until I retire, so I can justify spending a couple hundred bucks.

For reference, my current pair is one I bought nearly twenty years ago for a summer job and that I've worn less than a hundred times since then (but I've been needing them a lot more often in my current job). I did get another $70 Walmart pair at some point in there, but those are the worst pair of shoes I've ever owned, so...

Keen makes some of their hiking boots with Steel/Alloy/Composite toes. They're way more comfortable than work boots and provide the same protection. Easier to buy online than workboot brands too.

e: Tekton Torque wrenches on Amazon are a good alternative to HF if you don't feel like going to the store.

Aquila fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Sep 14, 2018

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

BraveUlysses posted:

woah woah you dont just go buy a thing at HF

make sure you have coupons before you go, no matter what

Bookmark this on your phone and never worry about paper coupons again. They’ll scan right off the screen.

https://m.harborfreight.com/digitalsavings.html

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Aquila posted:

e: Tekton Torque wrenches on Amazon are a good alternative to HF if you don't feel like going to the store.

Pffft. Heretic. Part of the charm of walking into a HF is smelling all the chemical compounds leeching into the air as soon as the sliding door opens.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

eddiewalker posted:

Bookmark this on your phone and never worry about paper coupons again. They’ll scan right off the screen.

https://m.harborfreight.com/digitalsavings.html

I suppose that if you use literally anything besides the HF disks, a $16 4.5" angle grinder isn't the worst thing in the world

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Colostomy Bag posted:

I will not stop until every end table, every junk door, every corner of my house has their free screwdrivers and tape measures.

The free screwdrivers are so loving bad. Even the mid-range ones are really bad.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

BraveUlysses posted:

The free screwdrivers are so loving bad. Even the mid-range ones are really bad.

Yes. I know.

It is the cross that I must bear. :negative:

But on a more serious note, if...and if they could actually be arsed to sell a set a few bucks more than their "top of the line" (granted I find them poo poo) I wonder how it would turn out.

Edit: Should add screwdrivers are about the most personal of fit in regards to hand tools.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

MrOnBicycle posted:

How much would be a realistic price for a torque wrench that can handle engine stuff?

A few hundred bucks or so. Proto has theirs at $300

Coupon chat:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.grape.software.offcoupon

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Colostomy Bag posted:

Yes. I know.

It is the cross that I must bear. :negative:

But on a more serious note, if...and if they could actually be arsed to sell a set a few bucks more than their "top of the line" (granted I find them poo poo) I wonder how it would turn out.

Edit: Should add screwdrivers are about the most personal of fit in regards to hand tools.

some tools are just worth spending real money on, IMO screwdrivers are one of those things

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Yeah I blew a bunch of money buying wera drivers and binned all my old junk screwdrivers, no regrets.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Is there a cheap good solder remover? Not sure if they’re called solder suckers or what. I have a HF iron that meets my needs, but not sure if they have anything for the other way around.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Is there a cheap good solder remover? Not sure if they’re called solder suckers or what. I have a HF iron that meets my needs, but not sure if they have anything for the other way around.

These are fine and available from dozens of sellers under different names. Not really a tool that needs overthinking. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074ZDCTLV/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_hDRNBb1KJATBV

I also have a Soldapullt which might have a little more pull, but resetting it one-handed requires jamming the rod into your gut.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

eddiewalker posted:

These are fine and available from dozens of sellers under different names. Not really a tool that needs overthinking. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074ZDCTLV/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_hDRNBb1KJATBV

I also have a Soldapullt which might have a little more pull, but resetting it one-handed requires jamming the rod into your gut.

Personally, I much prefer the soldapullt, but that could be due to the little thumb-sized one being kinda abused beforehand.

Also, don't disregard the usefulness of solder wick. I use it way more often than a solder sucker.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Raluek posted:

Personally, I much prefer the soldapullt, but that could be due to the little thumb-sized one being kinda abused beforehand.

Also, don't disregard the usefulness of solder wick. I use it way more often than a solder sucker.

Solder wick plus paste flux! More flux is more better. I can completely clear big thru-holes with a single piece of wide wick that I've smeared paste flux on. Narrow wick on small holes, same thing. It completely changed the way I do rework. I used to soak the wick in liquid flux, but it wasn't enough. Paste FTW.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

All the suspension work on my CR-V this past weekend was my first real major use of the M18 mid-torque impact. Holy poo poo I think I love that thing. On nearly any fastener I was dealing with it, it basically became put the socket on the fastener, pull the trigger, one or two impacts and then just whirring it off smoothly.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE
Completely irrelevant from a scientific standpoint. But there is a calibration lab where my father works. Every HF tool he's bought that he can test there he brings in. Multimeters, micrometers and torque wrenches have all been within 1%. Will they hold calibration, or has he been lucky? No idea. But good enough for everyone not building hand grenade race motors.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

IOwnCalculus posted:

All the suspension work on my CR-V this past weekend was my first real major use of the M18 mid-torque impact. Holy poo poo I think I love that thing. On nearly any fastener I was dealing with it, it basically became put the socket on the fastener, pull the trigger, one or two impacts and then just whirring it off smoothly.

Says the guy that lives in a desert. :colbert:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Says the guy that lives in a desert. :colbert:

The only ones it had to actually work on for any length of time were the rear lower control arm bolts, which seem to be made of sharp cheddar while the insert in the body is made of a very sticky brie.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I ended up getting Red Wings last weekend and wore them all day today. Promptly dropped a piece of steel onto my toes. Got my value out of them!

Now I need to figure out how to get my intern to put my loving tools back.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Uthor posted:

I ended up getting Red Wings last weekend and wore them all day today. Promptly dropped a piece of steel onto my toes. Got my value out of them!

Now I need to figure out how to get my intern to put my loving tools back.

Pretty sure your redwings can help there too...

(please don’t kick your intern)

Teketeketeketeke
Mar 11, 2007

Hey, anybody have a recommendation for home tire inflation? I have a few cars with a few sets of wheels so it seems like I'm always feeding quarters at the gas station...

Is there any reason not to buy one of these dudes that always go on sale at HF:

Will one of these work fine for a number of years?
I've also seen a similar hotdog compressor at Walmart as a "Briggs and Stratton" for ~$30 - looked sketchy af

Or does anybody have a 120v inflator they like, something along these lines:
?
(this one's ~$50)

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
If you're just topping off tires every now and then you might look at a little portable lithium tool system inflator head, like: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Ryobi-18-Volt-ONE-Cordless-Power-Inflator-Tool-Only-P737/206159256 Those little AC compressors you show (and similar DC versions) are fine but generally very loud and a pain in the butt to plug in an power vs. battery stuff. If you really want one though look for the Viaair brand models like the 85p--they can make a lot of pressure in a small size and fill even huge offroad tires from completely flat in a few minutes.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Yeah if your only goal is tire inflation, I'd go with either that Ryobi, or something that uses your car's battery directly (not a lighter plug).

Teketeketeketeke
Mar 11, 2007

Oh, a little li-ion guy like the Ryobi will work fine?
I just had always heard terrible things about random lovely 12v/lighter inflators that would take years to do anything worthwhile, so I kinda assumed a full-on AC/120v compressor thing would be best, and never thought of legit portable ones... There are so many crazy ONE+ things!

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Teketeketeketeke posted:

Oh, a little li-ion guy like the Ryobi will work fine?
I just had always heard terrible things about random lovely 12v/lighter inflators that would take years to do anything worthwhile, so I kinda assumed a full-on compressor / 120v thing would be best, and never thought of legit portable ones... There are so many crazy ONE+ things!

I don't know about modern li-ion ones, but the cheapo pancake compressors are nearly worthless. I have one for interior trim work, but it takes absolutely forever to air up, and it is noisy as hell. There has to be a better option than that.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
Yeah lithium ion changed the game forever. Portable tools are amazing now and the first thing I reach for--some of those little impacts can do a legit hundred plus foot lbs of torque.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
I've had this compressor in my wish list forever https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B000BM8RT8/

Clamps directly to your battery

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
Yeah that's the exact one I have but just be aware they are loud as hell. Like using them in a closed garage is borderline necessary to use hearing protection. The battery plug in / clamp is kind of a pain in the butt too for just a quick tire top up. The hoses and wires are never quite long enough to get it comfortably near all the wheels, especially if your vehicle is lifted and running big tires. If I clamp it to my battery there's barely enough cord to sit on the ground right below the engine. It will inflate big tires pretty quickly though.

mod sassinator fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Sep 25, 2018

Teketeketeketeke
Mar 11, 2007

Thanks for all the info and advice! I hope to be well-inflated soon.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
just get the 18v ryobi, even if it only lasts a couple of years it's so cheap compared to the terrible 12v cigarette adapter pumps it's a good deal

100% Dundee
Oct 11, 2004
I'd only suggest getting the ryobi one if you already are part of the ryobi ecosystem so you have the batteries/chargers/etc. Otherwise you're going to be paying a bunch more to gather all that up. Same thing goes for the Milwaukee inflator, if you already have those batteries and chargers then just get that inflator, it's really great for a wireless unit.

If you want to keep it simple and cheap and you don't have either one of those setups already, get something Viair. 70/77/85 are my preference because I like the twist on vs the press on. I've had a Viair as my "throw in the trunk, forget about it until you need it" pump for ~5 years and its just stellar. There might be a lot of terrible 12v cigarette adapter pumps but the Viairs are not that. You could also grab one of the more hardcore battery clip on versions if so desired.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I should probably be sponsored by Viair at this point, but if you don't mind a compressor that has a cord, just get a Viair. It's a lot quieter than the lovely 12v ones, while at the same time being a lot faster. The only reason I'd get a cordless one is for filling up my bike tires without having to park it next to my car, but that's not a huge deal.

I used to feel bad loving with tire pressures too early in the morning on the weekend when I had a lovely 12v compressor, but the Viair is quiet enough that it isn't an issue.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
Are rivnuts as good as they seem? I had a captive nut become un-captive and while I am going to weld this one back into place, I keep seeing rivnuts popping up on all of the automotive channels I watch

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

The Door Frame posted:

Are rivnuts as good as they seem? I had a captive nut become un-captive and while I am going to weld this one back into place, I keep seeing rivnuts popping up on all of the automotive channels I watch

Yes, they're awesome. The HF kit is pretty good for what it is so you can learn to use it. Then get the Astro 1442.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Yes but get a proper tool, you can jack one into place with a bunch of nuts bolts and washers in a pinch but you might strip the thread. I only needed 2 on my trailer so I made do but if I had more to fit I'd just buy a set that came with a tool.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
Rivnuts are really nice. I usually add a dab of Red or Green Loctite to them, and they usually stay put. I've had issues with some of them in thin aluminum, but that's a tough spot for them to work, considering the loads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
I think my fuel pump is on the way out.

Schraeder valve on the fuel rail, so will one of these work okay?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/FreeTec-Vacuum-Tester-Carburetor-Pressure/dp/B075TYJ4WZ/ref=lp_5136313031_1_9