Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
My drive is encrypted so that might be part of what is slowing it down.

Or it's bricked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

My FileVault'ed MacBook Pro from 2009 (with an SSD) did the update in about 6 minutes.

Van Dis
Jun 19, 2004
How long do you think I can avoid having an icloud or appleID. I wonder.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
Called Apple, they told me to reboot it, that cleared up the problem.

Sigma
Aug 24, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Three-Phase posted:

Called Apple, they told me to reboot it, that cleared up the problem.

Did you install from the Mac App Store, or the combo update? I'm weirdly paranoid and will only use the combo update.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I've only ever gotten my updates from Software Update / Mac App Store and never had a problem.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!
Hooray, 3 hours after installing 10.9.2 (using combo updater, repairing permissions before and after) my previously rock-solid Mac Pro goes down with a kernel panic in the middle of my work.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Choadmaster posted:

Hooray, 3 hours after installing 10.9.2 (using combo updater, repairing permissions before and after) my previously rock-solid Mac Pro goes down with a kernel panic in the middle of my work.
Folks on MacRumors are reporting previously-unseen kernel panics as well. So far the ones that I've seen reported seem related to FaceTime.

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Feb 26, 2014

OMGzKakaniz
Mar 13, 2007

up-and coming pokemon trainer

:love: Justice
I've read back a few or so pages and had not seen this issue. I have a Late 2012 iMac and every time I put it to sleep or use a game in steam or whatever the time in the far right corner is stuck on the time I put the computer to sleep / started said application. When I click on the clock it turns to a completely white box. Once I have done that I have to reboot the computer to even have the time show back up. I have a few things installed on the menu bar that are running (mint, Skype, dropbox, knock, etc.). How do I get this poo poo to fix? I've changed the settings to update automatically but turned location time zone off (per a google search suggestion) but this is not working and cannot find anything else with google searches. Being relatively new to Macs I'm not all too sure how to fix this and only started noticing it recently.

E: also noticing many of the icons such as wifi are missing at random times (still there if I click them, just no icon

OMGzKakaniz fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Feb 26, 2014

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

Who else see da leprechaun say yaaaa!
Reset your NVRAM

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1379

and then the SMC

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht3964

and hope that fixes it. :)

edit:
On another note, it was really interesting receiving Little Snitch dialog windows while the 10.9.2 update was running. I had to re-enable trim support for my 3rd party SSD, which is worth noting.

And my hidden dock doesn't seem to be a complete finicky piece of poo poo anymore, praise to the light.

decypher fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Feb 26, 2014

OMGzKakaniz
Mar 13, 2007

up-and coming pokemon trainer

:love: Justice

decypher posted:

Reset your NVRAM

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1379

and then the SMC

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht3964

and hope that fixes it. :)

edit:
On another note, it was really interesting receiving Little Snitch dialog windows while the 10.9.2 update was running. I had to re-enable trim support for my 3rd party SSD, which is worth noting.

And my hidden dock doesn't seem to be a complete finicky piece of poo poo anymore, praise to the light.

Just reset the NVRAM per your suggestion and looks to be working. Thanks for your help! Any idea of why this would happen or what to do to avoid stuff like this?

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

10.9.2 trip report: combo update installed in about five-six minutes total on my 13-inch Late 2013 rMBP SSD.

Doesn't look like any graphic drivers were updated, although it seems they rolled in the drivers from the Retina-only update.

They appear to have fine tuned GPU power usage too.

redofrac
Oct 30, 2010

tropical posted:

I installed the 10.9.2 update on my early 2013 15" Macbook Pro and after rebooting I had to reconfigure all of my display settings including changing my wallpaper back to what it was pre-update. Weird. That's pretty trivial, but one bigger thing I'm noticing is that there is definitely now some sort of lag when using my external mouse that was not there pre-update. I can't tell but it seems like there might be inconsistent lag when typing on my external keyboard as well. I was using the computer all morning (for work) and something is definitely off now. Anybody else update and notice anything like this?

Updated the same laptop, more or less, and my external display arrangements were all reset. Haven't noticed anything else, though.

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

Who else see da leprechaun say yaaaa!

OMGzKakaniz posted:

Just reset the NVRAM per your suggestion and looks to be working. Thanks for your help! Any idea of why this would happen or what to do to avoid stuff like this?

Its more likely a freak random thing that probably won't happen again. The NVRAM can occasionally(but rarely) become corrupted, causing your computer to behave oddly, and it needs to be zapped clean. No idea why it happens in this care or any case. It's magical science to me.

Glad it worked out for you. :)

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
We had one Retina macbook that took almost 30 minutes to do the update at work. We'd pretty much given up on it when it just finished up suddenly and rebooted.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Folks on MacRumors are reporting previously-unseen kernel panics as well. So far the ones that I've seen reported seem related to FaceTime.

I was using Indesign and copying files from my NAS (AFP not SMB). No FaceTime. Hopefully they fix this one soon (hahahahaha).

Arrowsmith
Feb 6, 2006

SAGANISTA!
10.9.2 Combo Update is stuck on the "Preparing..." screen. I can't upgrade through App Store /Software Update either, as it hasn't been working for a while. It just shows greyed out categories along the top of the window and then beach balls indefinitely after about ten seconds. Since the combo update has a pop out menu on the lock icon which references Software Update I'm guessing the problem might be related?

I've tried googling for an App Store/Software Update fix but nothing I've found seems to work. Is there anything someone can recommend or will I have to nuke+reinstall?

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

10.9.2 has a really weird issue on my MBP; for some reason the upper bar (menu bar, task bar, whatever it is) is laggy as all hell. I use full screen for a lot of stuff and bring the mouse to the top of the screen to bring down the bar and it takes its sweet time now whereas before it came down in an instant. Going from one fullscreen app to another also forces it to "redraw" or something and all the icons flicker and reappear in order.

Also, using command center with dual screens makes the inactive screen's top bar flicker like crazy (from inactive to active to inactive etc.) before OS X shows all the windows I have open.

E: It's weird, certain effects (everything about the menu bar, Growl notifications, moving between fullscreen apps) are laggy as hell while others are all fine and smooth (Dock, widgets, app fullscreen animation). What could be causing this?

Stare-Out fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Feb 26, 2014

Djimi
Jan 23, 2004

I like digital data
Yay - 10.9.2 fixed my VPN disconnection issue I've been having ever since Mavericks. Install took about 7 minutes. Anybody know if the Quick Look lag is fixed?

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Djimi posted:

Yay - 10.9.2 fixed my VPN disconnection issue I've been having ever since Mavericks. Install took about 7 minutes. Anybody know if the Quick Look lag is fixed?
Pre-patch the only problem I had with Quick Look was that pictures weren't correctly sized to the frame and nine out of ten times popped up with scrollbars. That seems to be fixed but of course now instead Quick Look is really laggy. :sigh:

the the
Oct 3, 2004

ZShakespeare posted:

keepassx supposedly uses native code, so there's that.
Had lots of problems getting keepassx working properly.

Wine does the trick for me.
http://www.davidbaumgold.com/tutorials/wine-mac/

Have been running keepass on linux for years with Wine and it works fine on my macbook too.

tropical
Aug 14, 2003
Ahh say whut?

redofrac posted:

Updated the same laptop, more or less, and my external display arrangements were all reset. Haven't noticed anything else, though.

Yeah my coworker had the same thing happen with his 15" retina Macbook Pro. Seems fine after setting everything back up how we had it before, even after rebooting. The mouse lag I was experiencing went away with my first manual reboot after the update reboot.

The only thing that's still annoying is that every time I reboot I get asked to log into FaceTime, which I have never used (or even opened) since I started using this computer.

Belldandy
Sep 11, 2001

Do not try to boost in peace, because that is impossible. Instead only try to realize the truth, there is no boost.

Djimi posted:

Mine too, I would be lucky to stay on for 4-5 hours and I have now been on for 23.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

loving hell, Mail still isn't fixed in 10.9.2. Same old problem with the inbox not updating when using Gmail.

At least I haven't had another kernel panic yet.

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
the internet makes you stupid
My sister has a 2009 or 2010 Macbook (Core2Duo)

Just curious, how much more years of OSX upgrades do you think it will be able to get? (ie. OSX 10.10/10.11/etc.)

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Here's what Apple lists for the minimum requirements for Mavericks:

quote:

iMac (Mid-2007 or later)
MacBook (13-inch Aluminum, Late 2008), (13-inch, Early 2009 or later)
MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid-2009 or later),
MacBook Pro (15-inch or 17-inch, Mid/Late 2007 or later)
MacBook Air (Late 2008 or later)
Mac mini (Early 2009 or later)
Mac Pro (Early 2008 or later)
Xserve (Early 2009)
Your Mac also needs:

OS X Mountain Lion, Lion, or Snow Leopard v10.6.8 already installed
2 GB or more of memory
8 GB or more of available space
So I'm guessing that's getting pretty old, and may do the next upgrade and maybe one more beyond that.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

It looks from that list — and from what vaguely I remember of earlier versions — like you can use a 5-year gap as a general rule of thumb. If the hardware and the OS is more than 5 years apart, you might want to start thinking about upgrading (or stop updating the OS). For higher-end machines, you might get a bit more; for lower-end, a bit less.

Fcdts26
Mar 18, 2009
Recently had a friend get broken into and the people stole 3 of his computers including his backup drive. This has made me paranoid, I already have offsite backups of all my systems but I want to encrypt my drives also. Is FileVault the preferred way to go or is truecrypt better?

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

lol internet. posted:

My sister has a 2009 or 2010 Macbook (Core2Duo)

Just curious, how much more years of OSX upgrades do you think it will be able to get? (ie. OSX 10.10/10.11/etc.)

Recently the main blocker for older macs when new versions of OSX comes out has been CPU (64bit) or GPU (Intel GMA950 was dropped). Since the 64bit transition is done I'd hazard that support being dropped for old macs will likely be GPU related. I think the next version of OSX is going be Jony Ivified and likely use a lot of GPU related effects, but the 9400 in that Macbook should be able to cope. I'd expect at least one more version of OSX for it.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I was going to say pretty much what 8ender just said; the big hardware roadblocks are cut off as of 10.9 so personally I don't see hardware requirements getting any stricter for a while. But the only way to tell is wait and see.

Nask26 posted:

Recently had a friend get broken into and the people stole 3 of his computers including his backup drive.

They didn't take a kidney too while they were in there? :downsrim:

I use FileVault on all my internal and external drives. It's seamless and works great.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

8ender posted:

Recently the main blocker for older macs when new versions of OSX comes out has been CPU (64bit) or GPU (Intel GMA950 was dropped). Since the 64bit transition is done I'd hazard that support being dropped for old macs will likely be GPU related. I think the next version of OSX is going be Jony Ivified and likely use a lot of GPU related effects, but the 9400 in that Macbook should be able to cope. I'd expect at least one more version of OSX for it.

IMHO at some point, 256 MB of VRAM or shared main RAM for graphics is going to be the minimum spec in whatever's the next iteration, 10.10 or whatever. It dovetails nicely with the fact that all of the Macs released in 2009 had at least 256 MB of VRAM, and Apple tends to shitcan support for any model 5 years after its intro. I think that'll be a roadblock for quite a while as I'm sure Apple isn't even coming close to maxing out 256 MB VRAM for standard usage. Of course, everything going Retina could throw a wrench in that thinking..

They may also be waiting for Intel to step up its game with GPUs. The Intel 5000's, 5100's and up (Iris) seem like the only integrated GPUs that actually sped up the UI to any noticeable amount. Maybe someday if they ever decide to come up with a discrete GPU and combine that with their strides forward in GPU power, then we'll be sitting pretty both UI and gaming wise.

It's also kind of telling that Adobe seems to want you to have twice the VRAM of whatever's bog standard, PhotoShop CS 6 and CC both require 512MB VRAM with 1 GB recommended.

In 10.9.2 news I had one kernel panic but then I used TinkerTool System to clear out all caches, user and system level, and have not had any since.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Feb 28, 2014

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Isn't the performance penalty for Filevault a not-invisible thing, though?

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

IUG posted:

Here's what Apple lists for the minimum requirements for Mavericks:

So I'm guessing that's getting pretty old, and may do the next upgrade and maybe one more beyond that.

On this note, I got Mavericks 10.9.2 working just fine on a 2006 Mac Pro with a 7300GT.

Basically I cloned a Macbook that had 10.9.2 on it, replaced boot.efi with a version that intercepts EFI64-bit calls in two locations on the cloned disk, and booted from it.

Apparently the 7300GT won't work properly for a lot of the graphical features, but it wasn't important for this purpose.

feld
Feb 11, 2008

Out of nowhere its.....

Feldman

AlternateAccount posted:

Isn't the performance penalty for Filevault a not-invisible thing, though?

With modern CPUs that have the AES offload built-in it's transparent. If you have one of these CPUs use encryption. It's worth the effort.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AES_instruction_set

feld
Feb 11, 2008

Out of nowhere its.....

Feldman

feld posted:

With modern CPUs that have the AES offload built-in it's transparent. If you have one of these CPUs use encryption. It's worth the effort.

Nask26 posted:

Recently had a friend get broken into and the people stole 3 of his computers including his backup drive. This has made me paranoid, I already have offsite backups of all my systems but I want to encrypt my drives also. Is FileVault the preferred way to go or is truecrypt better?

Truecrypt if you're paranoid about the government. Filevault if you're paranoid about thieves.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

feld posted:

Yeah, late 2009 iMac's i7-860 doesn't make the cut, and only just barely, too. :\

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

My 2007 C2D Macbook Pro is running Mavericks just fine. Except 10.9.2 brought along pretty severe graphical performance issues in OS X for some dumb reason and a bunch of effects are laggy as hell (while some are still smooth as ever?) so who knows.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Stare-Out posted:

My 2007 C2D Macbook Pro is running Mavericks just fine. Except 10.9.2 brought along pretty severe graphical performance issues in OS X for some dumb reason and a bunch of effects are laggy as hell (while some are still smooth as ever?) so who knows.

Do you have the model with 128 MB VRAM or 256? And what program are you using where you see the laggy effects?

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

Binary Badger posted:

In 10.9.2 news I had one kernel panic but then I used TinkerTool System to clear out all caches, user and system level, and have not had any since.

I clear caches (using MCC) among other things with every system update, so the panic I got was after a cache clearing. I still haven't had a second one, but I haven't had occasion to gently caress around in Indesign since, either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Binary Badger posted:

Do you have the model with 128 MB VRAM or 256? And what program are you using where you see the laggy effects?
128 MB, but up until now, all the way from Snow Leopard through to Mavericks everything's been completely smooth until this recent update. The laggy effects only happen with certain things; games run just as they used to, the Dock is smooth and quick as ever, but dialog boxes (Confirm Empty Trash etc.) are really choppy, as are Growl effects, transitioning from one fullscreen app to the next (slide effect) and there are some pecularities with the top menu bar, namely that it lags a lot when I bring the cursor to the top of the screen with full screen apps. Normally it slides down instantly but post-patch the animation (both up and down) is extremely choppy.

Also transitioning from one fullscreen space to the other, the top menu bar does its slow disappearance but all the icons on the right hand side seem to get redrawn before they vanish. This also happens when I go back to the normal Finder desktop - the menu icons disappear and reappear in sequence within a second or two before they settle.

This happens right after reboot with no external apps active. I've done the normal procedures (reset SMC, NVRAM) to no avail. Apparently it's not just old-rear end Macs that are having this issue but it's a strange one.