Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.
Nocturne is up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I can't get too excited about these rereleases anymore until they're PS4 compatible.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Someone should report whether or not the audio still sounds like rear end (it probably does).

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

quote:

DANTE from Devil May Cry 2: © CAPCOM CO., LTD. 2003 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.

Well, that tells you what version it is.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Strange Quark posted:

Someone put together English subtitles for the latest info-heavy Persona Q trailer. It's definitely Etrian Odyssey through and through.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-lrvQRx3dA

Turns out there are no canon names for the P3/4 protags, since you get to enter in names for them.
I notice the trailer mentions you can have up to 20 allies to choose from...yet the party selection screen in the trailer only has 18 characters. The early animated trailers did feature Margaret and Elizabeth, so maybe those two are the remaining playable characters despite having other jobs in-game.

Edit: Unless they're counting Rise and Fuuka, despite them being support characters.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
They had replaced Dante with Raidou in that bonus version, right? Or did they both show up?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

BottledBodhisvata posted:

They had replaced Dante with Raidou in that bonus version, right? Or did they both show up?

They replaced him in the second Japanese rerelease.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Rinkles posted:

I can't get too excited about these rereleases anymore until they're PS4 compatible.

So never then?

Nothing on the PSN PS3 store will ever be on PS4 sadly.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

AradoBalanga posted:

I notice the trailer mentions you can have up to 20 allies to choose from...yet the party selection screen in the trailer only has 18 characters. The early animated trailers did feature Margaret and Elizabeth, so maybe those two are the remaining playable characters despite having other jobs in-game.

Edit: Unless they're counting Rise and Fuuka, despite them being support characters.

It looked like Rise was summoning her persona in a fight though, so maybe they've been shifted to be either support or active?

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Tatum Girlparts posted:

It looked like Rise was summoning her persona in a fight though, so maybe they've been shifted to be either support or active?

In Golden, Rise could occasionally deliver an extra strike in an All-Out Attack, among a few other things, I think?

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

Rinkles posted:

I can't get excited about them unless they're on PC.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

Color Printer posted:

In Golden, Rise could occasionally deliver an extra strike in an All-Out Attack, among a few other things, I think?

This, and she's going to be a fighter in the fighting game. It's entirely possible she'll be a character in Q.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Alteisen posted:

So never then?

Nothing on the PSN PS3 store will ever be on PS4 sadly.

Says who? Why would a PS2 emulator be unlikely on the PS4?

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.

AradoBalanga posted:

They may be talking about the 2 new characters.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Weren't they doing that gaikai thing for ps1/2 games on the ps4?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Rinkles posted:

Says who? Why would a PS2 emulator be unlikely on the PS4?

PS2 Classics don't work on PS4. Maybe they'll add that in a system update some day, but for now you're kinda stuck with PS3. Really a shame when A) if I'm gonna play these games it'll be on a Vita and B) there's not a lot of reason to buy a game on PS3 that does not work on PS4 at this point.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Manatee Cannon posted:

PS2 Classics don't work on PS4. Maybe they'll add that in a system update some day, but for now you're kinda stuck with PS3. Really a shame when A) if I'm gonna play these games it'll be on a Vita and B) there's not a lot of reason to buy a game on PS3 that does not work on PS4 at this point.

That was the entire point of my initial post.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Yeah, I know. :v:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It looks rough as hell on a HD TV but it's worth it just to be playing it again. :allears:

Honestly, it's aged better than a lot of the less-stylized PS2 games at least.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
Oh god that font. I'd forgotten that font.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

BottledBodhisvata posted:

Oh god that font. I'd forgotten that font.
At least it's not Comic Sans.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

It looks rough as hell on a HD TV but it's worth it just to be playing it again. :allears:

Honestly, it's aged better than a lot of the less-stylized PS2 games at least.

Is the audio still that nasty, low quality garbage that it was on PS2?

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Unless the word "HD" is in the title somewhere, the game is exactly how it was on PS2, just with a better quality connection to the TV.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

ImpAtom posted:

Oh my God why are you stretching it you monster :barf:

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Dehry posted:

Unless the word "HD" is in the title somewhere, the game is exactly how it was on PS2, just with a better quality connection to the TV.

Yeah, I just... wish the colors didn't look so washed out. It's driving me insane. Maybe I'll get used to it. :smith:

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Maybe if it sells really well we'll get an HD remaster with some quality of life changes. We won't, but it's nice to dream.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
You're growing up guys, you're realizing that your favorite games from almost a decade ago aren't as good as they used to be. Now get to playing the new hotness, all new games are good, even the bad ones.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

I think it looks OK. Also I forgot how HARDCORE PSYCHO the first 40 minutes of Nocturne are until you get to the first save point. It's like the team brainstormed a bunch of creepy weird things could happen and then decided to do all of them.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I'd give a kidney to get a remake of Nocturne with a Demon Search function like in SMTIV, complete with being able to choose the skills inherited. This will have to do for now.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
Iunno, game looks alright to me.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

MonsieurChoc posted:

I'd give a kidney to get a remake of Nocturne with a Demon Search function like in SMTIV, complete with being able to choose the skills inherited. This will have to do for now.

I'd kill someone to get a remake of SMT 1, 2 and NINE with the engine of Nocturne/DDS.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.
I just bought Nocturne and I plan to finally play it to completion this time. I'm probably only going to play through it once, so I'm going to go straight for the TDE. Without any major spoilers, is there anything I need to worry about to ensure I don't lock myself out of it? From what I know, the only way to lock yourself out of the TDE is to pass the point of no return for another ending, but I want to be certain there isn't some dialog choice I have to pick or something else I need to worry about like not releasing the Pixie.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

DarkHamsterlord posted:

I just bought Nocturne and I plan to finally play it to completion this time. I'm probably only going to play through it once, so I'm going to go straight for the TDE. Without any major spoilers, is there anything I need to worry about to ensure I don't lock myself out of it? From what I know, the only way to lock yourself out of the TDE is to pass the point of no return for another ending, but I want to be certain there isn't some dialog choice I have to pick or something else I need to worry about like not releasing the Pixie.

You just need to finish the Amala dungeon before entering the final dungeon, which is pretty obvious what it is when it appears.

Also, I hope you enjoy unmappable invisible walls!

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

DarkHamsterlord posted:

The Pixie is the big one. Anything else would really depend on what ending you want. However, there's one pretty big thing.

The game has a lengthy and optional area called the Labyrinth of Amala. It has five major areas that unlock as you go along in the game, the final area unlocking relatively near the final dungeon in the main story. If you want the super special awesome chocolate sauce ending, you MUST complete the Amala Labyrinth entirely BEFORE entering the final dungeon. If you enter the final dungeon, then beat Amala, you will be unable to access the last scene and thus be locked out of the bonus big boss and the super special chocolate ending. This got me my first playthrough, so it was very annoying. That said, even if you get locked out of the ending, you still get all of the demons and cool rewards from Amala, just not the ultimate pay-off.

Edit:

Strange Quark posted:

You just need to finish the Amala dungeon before entering the final dungeon, which is pretty obvious what it is when it appears.

You have no idea how much I love unmappable invisible walls.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.
Alright, thanks for the responses!

Strange Quark posted:

Nothing is unmappable when you have graphing paper. :colbert: (well, unless they shift around, I guess)

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
They don't move, and that section wasn't even that bad.

RedRupee
Feb 25, 2012

DarkHamsterlord posted:

Alright, thanks for the responses!

Nothing is unmappable when you have graphing paper. :colbert: (well, unless they shift around, I guess)

It's stuff like this that make SMT and Etrian Odyssey seem like such a great match. It's kind of a shame they paired it with Persona instead of as a new SMT title but hand-mapping is so much fun in Etrian Odyssey and they would make late dungeons feel less totally dumb. Also FOEs.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

If you want something more in lie with the mainline series just get Strange Journey instead.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

RedRupee posted:

It's stuff like this that make SMT and Etrian Odyssey seem like such a great match. It's kind of a shame they paired it with Persona instead of as a new SMT title but hand-mapping is so much fun in Etrian Odyssey and they would make late dungeons feel less totally dumb. Also FOEs.

They already did Etrian Odyssey Engine + SMT. It was Strange Journey.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kurona_bright
Mar 21, 2013
But Strange Journey doesn't have handmapping. :(

So in order to get a ~complete~ map, I stepped on every single damage tile in Sector B (I think, I can't remember). :downs: