Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

They're really doing some classic Lifetime schlock, Deadly Mile High Club is a great one with a lot to make fun of pack into it

the loving hat alone, twenty six minutes of the episode

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Now I wish there was a movie or short film about the boys getting into antics at GDT's haunted mansion.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:
Beans

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
What are some other good podcasts in a similar vein to this one?

I've listened to a few and some of them are OK but none as consistently funny as this one.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

as a cajun I just was left genuinely wanting a big pot of red beans after that bean dinner tangent.

A+ ep, I love the ones where the movie's such a nothing that it's really just an excuse for them to chill out and riff.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

BiggerBoat posted:

I've listened to a few and some of them are OK but none as consistently funny as this one.

I like the ActionBoyz but their humor isn't really the same. If you liked the Jon Gabrus episodes try one of their free ones like Beastmaster or Rapid Fire

What both of these shows do that separates themselves from other bad movie podcasts is that they talk about older stuff most of the time. WHM has the 10 year rule, and I don't think ActionBoyz has ever touched a movie this century.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

sexpig by night posted:

A+ ep, I love the ones where the movie's such a nothing that it's really just an excuse for them to chill out and riff.

The first 5-10 minutes I was a little over Eric being excessively vulgar (it's always funny, I just felt it was bogging things down in this particular ep). But that very swiftly changed and the episode was just a manic pace start to finish with so many tangents and expanded bits that it ruled and I was sorry I doubted it at the beginning.

BiggerBoat posted:

If you are specifically looking at movie related stuff, I am still a defender of How Did This Get Made as long as you ONLY listen to about 50 episodes or so and then stop. It's not the same exact type of humor, but there's still wacky discussions and it's frequently enjoyable but you have to bail after around that many because it turns into all live episodes where the hosts are completely exaggerated caricatures of themselves as they were in the early eps.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea starting off vulgar with Eric could have been kinda hacky but the fact that it just led to them building off the baseline made it fantastic.

"Hit me in my egg butt!!!"

The Gillman
Jul 8, 2004
Beaten with a sack of sweet Valencia oranges
Grimey Drawer

BiggerBoat posted:

The only one I find comes close is Blank Check. It’s got people who are clearly friends off mic, a set of rules it uses to pick movies and there is some overlap in movies as well. But it gets very tangenty (which I enjoy)

All the WHM boys have been on episodes so there are a couple that you could start with. The Total Recall episode is the better of the two, but probably because I enjoy the movie more than Thief

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

The Gillman posted:

The only one I find comes close is Blank Check. It’s got people who are clearly friends off mic, a set of rules it uses to pick movies and there is some overlap in movies as well. But it gets very tangenty (which I enjoy)

All the WHM boys have been on episodes so there are a couple that you could start with. The Total Recall episode is the better of the two, but probably because I enjoy the movie more than Thief

Seconding this. The Blank Check Total Recall episode is the best of both worlds.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

BiggerBoat posted:

I haven't found one TBH, but the other movie podcast I listen to is Junk Food Dinner. JFD is a lot different, they're three guys, who watch three movies that a lot of times would be Side Order of Sleaze material, then review them. They're a lot more like hanging out in the basement shooting the poo poo, it just scratches a different itch for me.

Nikaer Drekin
Oct 11, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
I laughed way too hard at American History Eggs

IBroughttheFunk
Sep 28, 2012

sexpig by night posted:

The same. I still love going back to the Ultraviolet episode and listening to them joking about weird mafia money laundering through bad movies because they are just so baffled at the confusing, substance-less wreck.

Also, Bean Dinner now sits alongisde Pizza Insurance as one of my all-time favorite riffs.

Beer_Suitcase
May 3, 2005

Verily, the whip is ghost riding.

BiggerBoat posted:

Dittoing Blank Check. Sometimes they run through a filmogrophy im not super interested in but the conversations are real good and Griffins memory on the boxoffice game is something you just have to hear. They just did a Patreon Special Features on Pitch Black that was lots of fun.

https://www.unspooledpodcast.com/
Paul Scheer from HDTDM talks movies in a calmer more relegated tone with co host Amy Nicholson. The go over the AFI top 100 and stuff

Newcomers with nicole byers and lauren Lapkus. They have not seen Star Wars, they have not seen LOTR but they have now and did a podcast about it. Good guests too

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

Nikaer Drekin posted:

I laughed way too hard at American History Eggs

I honestly was torn between posting that or just "Beans.". Really fun episode overall and my god it went places.

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr
But in all seriousness, the egg with a face was deeply unsettling.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I thought the bean stuff went on too long but they seemed to be having fun so I was too :)

Also Ben has a very Drew Scanlon-esque laugh

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Ben is great, and everyone should listen to Hooked on TJ Hooker

Kneecaps
Mar 22, 2003

We're not playing paddy cake here!
Soiled Meat
I'm going back and listening to the Twilight commentaries for the first time and it's a total blast. The best part is you absolutely do not have to watch the movies ahead of time. Just turn on subtitles and kind of pay attention and you'll be fine. The movies are so basic and nothing ever happens. Listening to the guys during the power hours is so much fun. They get so drunk so quick and it's like you're there hanging out with them.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I had to laugh that Eric's takeaway from Puss N Boots was that it was too horny considering they've panned the last handful of movies they've done for not having enough FUCKIN in it. I mean, he's right, that cat doesn't need to be so horny all the time, but I feel like they'd be doing the "why isn't anyone in farawayland gettin. it. ON. ?" schtick if it had none of that in there.

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!

explosivo posted:

I had to laugh that Eric's takeaway from Puss N Boots was that it was too horny considering they've panned the last handful of movies they've done for not having enough FUCKIN in it. I mean, he's right, that cat doesn't need to be so horny all the time, but I feel like they'd be doing the "why isn't anyone in farawayland gettin. it. ON. ?" schtick if it had none of that in there.

It's a children's cartoon film though. They want more fuckin in films for adults.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

It also doesn't help that Puss is not very anthropomorphized. Aside from standing on his hind legs, he looks very much like a realistic house cat which only adds to the weirdness of a PG movie focusing on how much he fucks.

Not to mention the prison rape jokes, which really no movie should have

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
I am glad the Bean Dinner is now a crossover hit

explosivo posted:

The gang (mainly Andrew) have this weird thing about movies being 'sexless' but then instantly making fun of a movie if it is horny.
Also, if a movie ends up too 'sexy', i'm sure they call that out too. It's a bit, really, but it's a weird one.

Pops Mgee posted:

It's a children's cartoon film though. They want more fuckin in films for adults.

Like Marvel movies.....

Nikaer Drekin
Oct 11, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

enigmahfc posted:

The gang (mainly Andrew) have this weird thing about movies being 'sexless' but then instantly making fun of a movie if it is horny.
Also, if a movie ends up too 'sexy', i'm sure they call that out too. It's a bit, really, but it's a weird one.

I don't really see any contradiction here. They're not saying that every movie should be a horny gently caress-fest, but that adult human beings have sex and it's a little weird that most mainstream films don't even acknowledge this.

enigmahfc posted:

Like Marvel movies.....

Marvel movies are PG-13, so they could easily get away with more than they do if Disney wanted them to. Like the first Iron Man, which acknowledges that human beings have sex!

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

For the record my initial post was not a complaint or trying to pull a gotcha on the guys for contradicting themselves, I just laughed at this movie being far too horny for even Eric Syszka after pretty much every summer blockbuster movie they covered had them asking why nobody's loving in it. I am pretty sure they had a similar tangent during the 101 dalmations episode. Puss N' Boots is an entirely too horny for it's own good movie and they were right to dump on it because of it.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Nikaer Drekin posted:

I don't really see any contradiction here. They're not saying that every movie should be a horny gently caress-fest, but that adult human beings have sex and it's a little weird that most mainstream films don't even acknowledge this.

Marvel movies are PG-13, so they could easily get away with more than they do if Disney wanted them to. Like the first Iron Man, which acknowledges that human beings have sex!

yea unsurprisingly I don't think they genuinely want a 20 minute scene where JARVIS explains Tony's depraved sexual desires to a date, but it was more about 'it's weird that in the first one they could acknowledge that the billionaire playboy hosed but in the rest a kiss on the cheek is as spicy as it gets'

People gently caress, that's okay, but it is wild to have your movie for children about a talking cat open with the cat post-bone session.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
Wrath of Khan still rules.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

sean10mm posted:

Wrath of Khan still rules.

I either didn't make it all the way through that episode when it aired, or I forgot everything, because I don't remember those bits at all. It's a great ep

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
so this is just barely WHM adjacent (because Newman was fun on his guest host episode) , but this weeks Blank Check is nearly unlistenable because their guest is TERRIBLE. Alex Ross Perry made it so it took over an hour to make it to the movie they were going to discuss (Halloween) because he had to white-guy-nerd explain the gently caress out of "where America and horror cinema was at" for 70 minutes in order for people to 'properly appreciate' Halloween. He even knows he is taking too long and making the show suck, but he HAS to say everything he made notes and graphs for because of course everyone cares about what he has to say. He even drops in a note to say 'sorry i missed a few facts i had written down do here they are!" even though they mean NOTHING. He takes 20 minutes to minutes to say what should be said in 3 minutes.

It's like the story Steve told about getting cornered by the one guy at a party who made him listen to everything about the Stargate show.

I normally really like the discussion and messing around on Blank Check but gently caress....this episode. Alex Ross Perry is the worst.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
I didn't mind what he had to say. He name dropped some directors and movies that some of the Blank Check audience might not be familiar with.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

he mentioned The Sentinel which was a good name drop, but yea, could've cut some of that down into something more listenable. I totally checked out at one point and had to rewind to get back to where I sorta remembered where I was still paying attention.

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012
I don't listen to Blank Check, but from the episodes I've heard that was already how every episode seemed to me as it was.

Beer_Suitcase
May 3, 2005

Verily, the whip is ghost riding.

It seems like any Blank Check episode could veer off into WHite guy nerd explaining but I liked the super context manifesto. I didn't know a whole lot about 70's horror and his enthusiasm about the subject matter made me want to hear what he was saying. Its the only Blank Check in recent memory I have listened to all of.

I will also have to see if The Package is still on HBO (its not)

Beer_Suitcase fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Aug 25, 2021

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Blank Check can be good because they have access to information more than just "summing up wikipedia and the imdb trivia" most of the time. However, sometimes Griffin can be incredibly manic and annoying.

admataY
Oct 16, 2008
If your not on the WHM patreon , this week regular episode is an unlock of the Jungle 2 jungle episode , which to me is one of the best episode they did in recent years , absolutely get on that .

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Speaking of the Patreon, this month's WLM was supposed to be Mad Max. Did that episode not come out or did I miss it somehow? August is almost over.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Rageaholic posted:

Speaking of the Patreon, this month's WLM was supposed to be Mad Max. Did that episode not come out or did I miss it somehow? August is almost over.
I feel like the Patreon schedule has felt less consistent recently. Like they get everything out by the end of the month, but it's felt more scattered with when stuff comes out.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

Saw this in the greenlighted thread and had to post it here (isn't really nfsw but spoilering it just the same).

https://twitter.com/GaoRush/status/1429334868094226441?s=20

Andrew's dejected/awed ". . . ladies and gentlemen . . . new evidence has come to light" from the Son of the Mask episode is still one of my favorite things they've ever said.

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012
My favorite part of that conversation is how at the beginning they're laughing thinking Cabin's making a joke, which turns into confusion as they realize he's not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Cael posted:

Saw this in the greenlighted thread and had to post it here (isn't really nfsw but spoilering it just the same).

https://twitter.com/GaoRush/status/1429334868094226441?s=20

Andrew's dejected/awed ". . . ladies and gentlemen . . . new evidence has come to light" from the Son of the Mask episode is still one of my favorite things they've ever said.

Andorra posted:

My favorite part of that conversation is how at the beginning they're laughing thinking Cabin's making a joke, which turns into confusion as they realize he's not.

It's legit got the airs of a newscaster going ladies and gentlemen, a second plane has hit the building.