Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

if youre going to use this word at least spell it correctly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Linguica posted:

this is actually good for customers because *massive farting noise emits from mouth*

lol

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

Linguica posted:

Also for the inevitable "no one uses the case anyway" comment kindly s.m.d.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Linguica posted:

I believe it. All the rumors are that they're gonna try and reduce the chin/forehead, but obviously you can't make the chin any smaller without getting rid of the physical home button. The 7 is a trojan horse to try and get people used to the idea of a "virtual" home button with fake haptic nonsense so the 8 can go full software

;_;

ufarn
May 30, 2009
just buy a $139 dock whats the big deal

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

has anyone said earspergers yet

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
iOS 10 is courageously fast

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

flakeloaf posted:

has anyone said earspergers yet
save it for whoever complains about bluetooth's poor audio quality

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

the speed at which iMessage crashes is amazing!

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Linguica posted:

this is actually good for customers because *massive farting noise emits from mouth*

Latest grubercast sounds great

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Linguica posted:

new thread title

Apr 7, 2003

zen death robot posted:

my wife got her 7+ already

who's the lucky guy? lol

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

zen death robot posted:

my wife got her 7+ already

sever imo

Apr 7, 2003

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

The iPhone 7's missing headphone jack is more than just inconvenient. It may cause a major durability issue.

While the iPhone 7 is built unsurprisingly well, the Lightning jack likely still has the same lifespan. This would be fine if you didn't have to share the iPhone 7's Lightning jack between your charger and your headphones. But you do.

According to the good people at JerryRigEverything, what Apple essentially did was cut your iPhone's lifespan in half, since any port will experience some wear and tear with every insertion. However many thousand insertions the Lightning port is rated for, it will now likely suffer double.

Nevertheless, the iPhone 7 is a durability marvel in many ways.

Like many of the iPhones that came before it, its screen, home button (now operated solely by touch), and camera are solidly scratch-proof. It is water-resistant like the Samsung Galaxy, and more durable than the Galaxy given its metal buttons. It can also, very impressively, withstand direct contact with a flame for up to ten seconds before its pixels will turn off, and it will recover quickly if they do.

The iPhone 7 is a well-built phone, but is it worth having to worry about the Lightning port possibly cutting your time with it short? That's up to you, and it probably depends on whether you plan to buy Apple's new AirPods and or some other pair of wireless headphones.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Citizen Tayne posted:

who's the lucky guy? lol

:eyepop:

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

THC posted:

Like many of the iPhones that came before it, its screen, home button (now operated solely by touch), and camera are solidly scratch-proof.

note: no mention of the black casing here

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

this is at a carrier store, IIRC.

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER

Citizen Tayne posted:

who's the lucky guy? lol

this is great. you are great.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Doc Block posted:

this is at a carrier store, IIRC.
says "3" at the top yeah

but give it 2 years and timb will find a way to make apple stores look like that

e: wait, his name is autocorrected now, boo this forum

Apr 7, 2003

Scott Forstall posted:

this is great. you are great.

I know.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

THC posted:

The iPhone 7's missing headphone jack is more than just inconvenient. It may cause a major durability issue.

While the iPhone 7 is built unsurprisingly well, the Lightning jack likely still has the same lifespan. This would be fine if you didn't have to share the iPhone 7's Lightning jack between your charger and your headphones. But you do.

According to the good people at JerryRigEverything, what Apple essentially did was cut your iPhone's lifespan in half, since any port will experience some wear and tear with every insertion. However many thousand insertions the Lightning port is rated for, it will now likely suffer double.

Nevertheless, the iPhone 7 is a durability marvel in many ways.

Like many of the iPhones that came before it, its screen, home button (now operated solely by touch), and camera are solidly scratch-proof. It is water-resistant like the Samsung Galaxy, and more durable than the Galaxy given its metal buttons. It can also, very impressively, withstand direct contact with a flame for up to ten seconds before its pixels will turn off, and it will recover quickly if they do.

The iPhone 7 is a well-built phone, but is it worth having to worry about the Lightning port possibly cutting your time with it short? That's up to you, and it probably depends on whether you plan to buy Apple's new AirPods and or some other pair of wireless headphones.

i like the implicit assumption that the shortest lifespan item on the iphone is the lightning port and not the battery

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

THC posted:

It can also, very impressively, withstand direct contact with a flame for up to ten seconds before its pixels will turn off, and it will recover quickly if they do.

why the gently caress is this a thing people test now

"and next, we'll demonstrate how well our car's seat coverings stand up to an industrial plasma cutter. i think you'll find the results impressive!"

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

DuckConference posted:

so you know how the airpods in the box used to come in that handy plastic case? not anymore

https://twitter.com/dmoren/status/776857273591336964

more margin for the margin god

inb4 the box also contains a little leaflet advertising other products

the airpods come with a charging case tho specific for them. idgi.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Sagebrush posted:

why the gently caress is this a thing people test now

"and next, we'll demonstrate how well our car's seat coverings stand up to an industrial plasma cutter. i think you'll find the results impressive!"

the same reason why people churn out "MORE BAD NEWS ABOUT THE IPHONE 7" clickbait for the flimsiest of reasons

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Endless Mike posted:

ifixit is livestreaming their swimming test

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XIauEB3EMHY

quote:

iFixit Video
The device did not die. We used Hangouts on Air ... and discovered it has an 8 hour stream cap.

fuzzy mammal implicated in anti apple conspiracy

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Linguica posted:

Also for the inevitable "no one uses the case anyway" comment kindly s.m.d.

it was loving impossible to get these back into the case as well as they're initially wrapped up

Apr 7, 2003

triple sulk posted:

it was loving impossible to get these back into the case as well as they're initially wrapped up

Plug on the lower right, wrap clockwise.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

hobbesmaster posted:

i like the implicit assumption that the shortest lifespan item on the iphone is the lightning port and not the battery

i also like the implicit assumption

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I think I'm gonna buy an iPad pro 12.9"

Does it have the same aspect ratio as the 9" iPad? Or is it some weird wide-screen crap or whatever the iPad mini aspect ratio is

Also where's the best place to get one in the $500 range

Basically I'm asking you to Google for me

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

I think I'm gonna buy an iPad pro 12.9"

Does it have the same aspect ratio as the 9" iPad? Or is it some weird wide-screen crap or whatever the iPad mini aspect ratio is

Also where's the best place to get one in the $500 range

Basically I'm asking you to Google for me

It has the same aspect ratio as the 9.7. Look at eBay or craigslist but for that amount you'll be getting a 32GB used or refurbished.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

eric posted:

It has the same aspect ratio as the 9.7. Look at eBay or craigslist but for that amount you'll be getting a 32GB used or refurbished.

Thanks.

Slickdeals had a factory refurbished 128gb from Best Buy last week for $550 but of course I missed it

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

i still keep my earpods in the case cuz my cat will eat them otherwise

anyway is it possible to opt out of the Messages app downgrade or should i wait for them to patch it out before putting iOS 10 on my telephone

Apr 7, 2003

GameCube posted:

i still keep my earpods in the case cuz my cat will eat them otherwise

anyway is it possible to opt out of the Messages app downgrade or should i wait for them to patch it out before putting iOS 10 on my telephone

Don't "upgrade." Wait.

Unless you like stickers I guess.

Soldier of Fortran
May 2, 2009

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

the ipad mini has the same aspect ratio as the ipad (normal)

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
LOL overcast developer marco arment was interviewed by the local news while waiting in line to buy an iphone 7 (he's the dude in the red hat)

Apr 7, 2003

zen death robot posted:

the iPad mini seems pointless these days

I have an Android 7" tab and an android 8" tab

One is used only for working out and watching netflix
the other is only used for reading pdfs before bed

I guess android is okay if you restrict it to only one use ever

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

zen death robot posted:

it's the future and we're all just getting old

a long, turgid battery life will never go out of style.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

flakeloaf posted:

wait are these real terms

the bottom of the bezel is seriously called the chin

does that mean we should be calling the dongle a turtleneck?

and a silicone case is the foreskin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
also, I'm the iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 4, iPad Pro 9.7 inch, and iPad Pro 12.9 inch, sold concurrently

• Locked thread