Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I really liked the newest Jumanji's ending. Danny Devito was adorable. "Spencer taught me how to play a video game. :3:"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Yeah, it's got the feeling of that weird transitory period where there's cutscenes and voiced NPCs and something of a plot but it's all still shallow and cheesy, which also really suits the movie format because it has all the elements that dumb boomers associate with video games without feeling out of place to the young people who actually play modern ones and cringe at still having pac-man sound effects on a modern console. And it matches up with the timeline since the game transformed 20 years before the bulk of the movie begins. Not to mention having a character that's basically Lara Croft. (While The Rock is basically Doc Savage) It's probably the best video game movie so far, and predictably does so by not actually being about a video game.

The Crash Bandicoot trilogy remaster came out in summer 2017 and Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle did and came out in winter of 2017, I wouldn't be surprised if the popularity of the former helped the latter since it sold really well and also introduced a lot of younger kids to that generation of games for the first time. It even had a similar jungle adventure theme, so for actual children who are too young to have nostalgia for the 90s movie that might have been the biggest selling point.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Best movie of 2019: Either Pain and Glory or Parasite. I preferred Pain and Glory but I’m real into those art life/creative struggle movies.

Worst movie: The Dead Don’t Die. This one was real disappointing.

Best Worst Movie: CATS

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

The long-in-development Uncharted movie adaptation may be once again in trouble, as Tom Holland's scheduling conflict may cause another delay in production, and if that occurs, the director may leave the project

https://variety.com/2019/film/news/uncharted-travis-knight-tom-holland-1203453763/

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Get terry gilliam to do it

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

What will we get first, Uncharted movie or Indiana Jones reboot?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Uncharted has a script and Tom Holland on contract right?

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Tars Tarkas posted:

Probably more than one Indiana Jones reboot.

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

Tars Tarkas posted:

New Mutants

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016
But will we get Uncharted or Chaos Walking first?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

Probably more than one Indiana Jones reboot.

Get the Solo guy

what’s he doing anyway

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Alan Smithee posted:

Get the Solo guy

what’s he doing anyway

Waiting for that phone call for Solo 2.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Jose Oquendo posted:

Twolo.

2olo.

So2o.

Sollo.

Gawd the possibilities are endless.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Duolo

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Salo

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Apparently he's shooting a series based on Brave New World for Peacock, the upcoming NBC streaming service. There it will be joining yet another version of Battlestar Galactica, the last reboot of which only ended in 2009.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Sir Kodiak posted:

Apparently he's shooting a series based on Brave New World for Peacock, the upcoming NBC streaming service. There it will be joining yet another version of Battlestar Galactica, the last reboot of which only ended in 2009.

I thought that’s what Hulu was for but yeah why not. Let’s give mtv a new steaming service and bring back cable packages

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Alan Smithee posted:

I thought that’s what Hulu was for but yeah why not. Let’s give mtv a new steaming service and bring back cable packages

Hulu split the money too many ways. See if you make your own service at $10/mo you don't have to split any earnings!

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Sir Kodiak posted:

Brave of them going to show the remnants of the crew trying to mate with primitive human life in order to make Midochondrial Eve, maybe even bring back a dead character as an angel or some poo poo helping out like Al from "Quantum Leap" giving dating pointers and sex advice.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Who else has streaming services planned cuz I know I’m missing some

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Solo 2 The Grave

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Alan Smithee posted:

Who else has streaming services planned cuz I know I’m missing some

FedEx
Mitsubishi Chemical
Little Caesar's

1000 Sweaty Rikers
Oct 13, 2005

RIP Syd Mead :(

https://www.polygon.com/2019/12/30/21043317/syd-mead-death-december-2019-blade-runner-aliens

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Jose Oquendo posted:

How about Salo 2

Also jumanji 2 and 3 are prob better than an uncharted film would be

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

got any sevens posted:

How about Salo 2

"you see eating bantha poo poo is an allegory for the empire"

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

got any sevens posted:

Uncharted 2 is already over a decade old at this point, the fact that the Tomb Raider game that was explicitly made to cash in on its success and came out four years later got a movie adaptation last year that bombed seems like a great indicator that if there was a time for the film to happen it has passed. They can't even bank on nostalgia because the series' audience was largely adults that have since moved on to fawning over performatively serious sad dad games.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Alan Smithee posted:

Get terry gilliam to do it

Just don’t let Tom get on an elevator alone with him.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Sleeveless posted:

fawning over performatively serious sad dad games.

I was wondering why Last of Us was so highly regarded.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I've never played an Uncharted game since I don't have a PS3/4, but Tom Holland looks like he has too much of a baby face to play Drake.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Casimir Radon posted:

I've never played an Uncharted game since I don't have a PS3/4, but Tom Holland looks like he has too much of a baby face to play Drake.

he's supposed to be younger drake

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Brother Entropy posted:

he's supposed to be younger drake

Aka the worst part of every game

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Beachcomber posted:

Aka the worst part of every game

having to play crash bandicoot in the last one seems worse

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Remember last year when Nathan Fillion did an Uncharted "fan film" to try and convince the studios that a B-list television actor pushing 50 was the best choice for the role. I don't know why having a guy in his 30s who is a scrapping adventurer is such a hard sell for studios when it's the entire premise of the series but I'll take baby Drake over old man Drake.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5CZQpqF_74

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Sleeveless posted:

Uncharted 2 is already over a decade old at this point, the fact that the Tomb Raider game that was explicitly made to cash in on its success and came out four years later got a movie adaptation last year that bombed seems like a great indicator that if there was a time for the film to happen it has passed. They can't even bank on nostalgia because the series' audience was largely adults that have since moved on to fawning over performatively serious sad dad games.

Sad dad games is a hilarious way to call it.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

TontoCorazon posted:

Sad dad games is a hilarious way to call it.

I didn't coin the term but yeah, this console generation's tentpole games have largely been about gruff middle-aged men shepherding around kids who constantly shout praise and adoration at the player for protecting them, the pendulum has basically swung all the way back to praising games for being serious and cinematic except now the big buff white guy you play as cries sometimes. Kids who grew up with NESes are old enough for colonoscopies now so the games and the people who make them are all about getting epic feels and gameplay that looks impressive without straining their aging reflexes or requiring more than the half hour of gaming time a week they get to master it, .

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

The best dad game

is Octodad

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I like XCOM :shrug:

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

That's a real weird chart with the games they chose to include

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Looking at that graphic makes me realize that to me "next gen" is still the PS2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Sleeveless posted:

I didn't coin the term but yeah, this console generation's tentpole games have largely been about gruff middle-aged men shepherding around kids who constantly shout praise and adoration at the player for protecting them, the pendulum has basically swung all the way back to praising games for being serious and cinematic except now the big buff white guy you play as cries sometimes. Kids who grew up with NESes are old enough for colonoscopies now so the games and the people who make them are all about getting epic feels and gameplay that looks impressive without straining their aging reflexes or requiring more than the half hour of gaming time a week they get to master it, .

and where would you place sad dad games