Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Space Cadet
Jun 1, 2000

Destruction, hence, like creation, is one of Nature's mandates.
Perhaps your knot was weaker then you think it is and got pulled through the hole? it happened on mine once. I twisted my mask, the dangler got caught on someone and next thing I knew it was only secured to my face by the ear holes and the front was dropping like my mask had a stroke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deer_fire
Jul 30, 2003

Space Cadet posted:

Perhaps your knot was weaker then you think it is and got pulled through the hole? it happened on mine once. I twisted my mask, the dangler got caught on someone and next thing I knew it was only secured to my face by the ear holes and the front was dropping like my mask had a stroke.

If you tied the knot by putting both ends of the string through the hole and then tying the knot on the outside (or inside) of the dangler, the knot was just too small and it went through the hole like Space Cadet said. If you only put 1 side of the string through the hole and then tied it with the other side then somebody did it prior to you getting on the ice and you just didn't notice it.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Had a weird night.

I passed out on the ice from lack of energy. Literally blacked out after a series of energetic moves near the end of the game. The best part was that in my head I literally saw my vision fade to black and thought the words "whoops, down I go" to myself.

On the bright side, I think I found an inexpensive goalie coaching place. One of the other guys gave me their card. Think I'll give this place a look. They have some really inexpensive lessons if you're just looking to improve your beer league game too, though I think I'd like to aim a little higher.

http://onicegoaltendingschool.com/

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Martytoof posted:

Had a weird night.

I passed out on the ice from lack of energy. Literally blacked out after a series of energetic moves near the end of the game. The best part was that in my head I literally saw my vision fade to black and thought the words "whoops, down I go" to myself.

On the bright side, I think I found an inexpensive goalie coaching place. One of the other guys gave me their card. Think I'll give this place a look. They have some really inexpensive lessons if you're just looking to improve your beer league game too, though I think I'd like to aim a little higher.

http://onicegoaltendingschool.com/

Passing out on the ice is scary, but a little impressive. Did you just overwork yourself or did you not have any breaks or chances to drink water during the game?

Those goalie clinic rates are insanely cheap. Lessons here generally run $60-65 per hour and the goalie clinic I am doing right now costs about $30 an hour, but those clinics are few and far between here and most of the clinics that come through town are more of the full day variety that are aimed towards kids.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Aniki posted:

Passing out on the ice is scary, but a little impressive. Did you just overwork yourself or did you not have any breaks or chances to drink water during the game?

Those goalie clinic rates are insanely cheap. Lessons here generally run $60-65 per hour and the goalie clinic I am doing right now costs about $30 an hour, but those clinics are few and far between here and most of the clinics that come through town are more of the full day variety that are aimed towards kids.

Actually, it's not impressive at all once you read this: I think it was just a combination of me eating nothing substantial for most of the day and then eating some mcdonalds poo poo like two hours before the game, then downing a redbull in the locker room before hitting the ice. The teams were also incredibly lopsided so I took a fuckton of shots in the first five minutes that sapped whatever ACTUAL energy I had left so I was skating on empty for the remaining 55 minutes. I'm actually kind of surprised it didn't happen earlier, which I'll attribute to the redbull keeping me somewhat upright until it wore off about five or so minutes before the end of the game.

Nobody to blame but myself and my own lovely eating habits. No amount of redbull is going to counteract starving myself all day :downs:

Goalie school:

Yeah, those prices do look cheap. I definitely won't look a gift horse in the mouth though. I'm sure it's not a tier-1 goalie school by any stretch but at this point I certainly don't think thre's any way my game will devolve from what it is now so I'll throw a few lessons under my belt and see how it works. I might start with the beer league clinic and then move up to the actual hardcore training if I like how things are going.

Though I'll probably eat a full three meals before going :haw:

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Martytoof posted:

Actually, it's not impressive at all once you read this: I think it was just a combination of me eating nothing substantial for most of the day and then eating some mcdonalds poo poo like two hours before the game, then downing a redbull in the locker room before hitting the ice. The teams were also incredibly lopsided so I took a fuckton of shots in the first five minutes that sapped whatever ACTUAL energy I had left so I was skating on empty for the remaining 55 minutes. I'm actually kind of surprised it didn't happen earlier, which I'll attribute to the redbull keeping me somewhat upright until it wore off about five or so minutes before the end of the game.

Nobody to blame but myself and my own lovely eating habits. No amount of redbull is going to counteract starving myself all day :downs:

Goalie school:

Yeah, those prices do look cheap. I definitely won't look a gift horse in the mouth though. I'm sure it's not a tier-1 goalie school by any stretch but at this point I certainly don't think thre's any way my game will devolve from what it is now so I'll throw a few lessons under my belt and see how it works. I might start with the beer league clinic and then move up to the actual hardcore training if I like how things are going.

Though I'll probably eat a full three meals before going :haw:

That makes more sense. I try to be a lot better about making sure that I eat a lot of carbs a few hours before I play. I have accepted that I can't eat spaghetti, since that doesn't mix well with a lot of activity for me, but something like white rice or egg noodles seems to work well. Also, hotdogs are not a good pre-game food.

Joey Walnuts
Dec 6, 2004

Clean up, aisle 3.

Martytoof posted:

"whoops, down I go"

That's fantastic. :haw:

Did everyone freak out when you splatted face down on the ice?

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

He doesn't really stop the puck, but he scares the hell out of the other team.
I pictured one of the opposing players slowly skating over to the unconscious goalie and putting a "Joe's Discount Goalie Barn" card in toof's mask.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

edit: wrong thread.

Thanks for the heads-up on the guide. I'm probably going to mess around with that plastic plating thing. Problem is that I'll have to play around with it a bit since these are cheapo street hockey pads and don't have all that generous nonsense on the outside.

I've read the thread again and I thank you all for the advice you've given to everyone. Hopefully I'll be able to put it to good use eventually. Only part that sucks is that a lot of that net coverage advice doesn't help since these nets aren't held in place by anything.

Doctor Butts fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Jun 11, 2009

UnmaskedGremlin
May 28, 2002

I hear there's gonna be cake!

Aniki posted:

That makes more sense. I try to be a lot better about making sure that I eat a lot of carbs a few hours before I play. I have accepted that I can't eat spaghetti, since that doesn't mix well with a lot of activity for me, but something like white rice or egg noodles seems to work well. Also, hotdogs are not a good pre-game food.

It's weird, I always used to keep a tradition of not eating about 90 minutes before a game, all through youth sports, and into playing adult stuff. As my life has gotten busier, I've had to break that a whole bunch of times, up to eating on the ride to the rink because I hadn't eaten and was going straight from work. Never have I gotten sick, or had it severely affect me. Even for hockey, which is easily the most strenuous thing I do.

I starting umping slow pitch softball this year, and I ate dinner a handful of times before heading out to ump, every time I was rushing home to get to the can before I poo poo my pants (lol gbs). I don't get it. It didn't matter what I ate either. It makes zero sense to me, but I've basically gone back to strictly following my 90 minute rule again.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

ManicJason posted:

I pictured one of the opposing players slowly skating over to the unconscious goalie and putting a "Joe's Discount Goalie Barn" card in toof's mask.

They probably kept shooting and then some douchebag teenager probably yelled, "Hey goalie! Goalie!" and ripped off a slap shot.

Aniki fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Jun 11, 2009

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Haha close. Apparently they thought I was just fake-playing "oh look I'm so tired I'll just lie here on the ice lol aren't I funny" and it wasn't until they realized I wasn't moving when the play was entering our zone that they actually stopped :lol:

In their defense I will do that sometimes, where after a really bad goal I just sort of chill out on my side and laugh it off until the play starts to enter the zone again at which point I pop up ready for business. My favourite is making snow angels. The ice is so nice and cool :3:

Edit: Jeez, that paypal should clear any day now Aniki, sorry for the delay. It would seriously have been faster to just send you a cashiers check or something :laugh:

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Jun 11, 2009

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Martytoof posted:

Haha close. Apparently they thought I was just fake-playing "oh look I'm so tired I'll just lie here on the ice lol aren't I funny" and it wasn't until they realized I wasn't moving when the play was entering our zone that they actually stopped :lol:

In their defense I will do that sometimes, where after a really bad goal I just sort of chill out on my side and laugh it off until the play starts to enter the zone again at which point I pop up ready for business. My favourite is making snow angels. The ice is so nice and cool :3:

Edit: Jeez, that paypal should clear any day now Aniki, sorry for the delay. It would seriously have been faster to just send you a cashiers check or something :laugh:

That's ok. The gloves are ready to go out as soon as everything clears. More importantly I got a call from the hockey shop today and my leg pads have arrived. I am a little nervous about the sizing, so I am going to bring my skates, pants, and knee pads with me. I want to make sure that the sizing is perfect before I finalize the transaction, that way I can send it back to Brian's if it is too small. 32" +1 should be right given my height and the fact that their 34" +1 pads were way too big for me, but considering that new leg pads aren't cheap I want to make sure everything is right. As long as everything checks out, I'll actually be able to use the pads for my goalie camp this weekend.

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!

Aniki posted:

That's ok. The gloves are ready to go out as soon as everything clears. More importantly I got a call from the hockey shop today and my leg pads have arrived. I am a little nervous about the sizing, so I am going to bring my skates, pants, and knee pads with me. I want to make sure that the sizing is perfect before I finalize the transaction, that way I can send it back to Brian's if it is too small. 32" +1 should be right given my height and the fact that their 34" +1 pads were way too big for me, but considering that new leg pads aren't cheap I want to make sure everything is right. As long as everything checks out, I'll actually be able to use the pads for my goalie camp this weekend.

Mine are in the mail too! I'll have an entire set of goalie pads up for sale soon, everything but the cup and blocker.

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night
Just went to my first clinic at a local rink. I realize that I can't ice skate.. and 8 year olds can run circles around me. I hurt in places I didn't know exist on my body.

It was interesting going to a class like that.. where I can watch other people, and then analyze how I was doing. I realize I am very sloppy and loose.. I flop all over the place.

Well.. beer time.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Polish posted:

Just went to my first clinic at a local rink. I realize that I can't ice skate.. and 8 year olds can run circles around me. I hurt in places I didn't know exist on my body.

It was interesting going to a class like that.. where I can watch other people, and then analyze how I was doing. I realize I am very sloppy and loose.. I flop all over the place.

Well.. beer time.

Even if you end up being the oldest person there, there is still a lot that you can learn by watching the other goalies, especially if you are like me and never had any formal hockey training as a kid.

The new pads are really nice and even at 32" +1 they appear to be 1/2" to 1" bigger than my old pads, which were 34" Itech 7.8 Vamps, since those things were compressed to hell and my understanding is that Zero G's don't really compress, so they should stay about the same size as they are now. I'll try to post some more comments and pictures of both the skates and pads tonight.

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!
Holy gently caress UPS guy dropped off something nice today

Monday night hockey cant happen soon enough!

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

titanium posted:

Holy gently caress UPS guy dropped off something nice today

Monday night hockey cant happen soon enough!

You got the reverse color scheme that I did. If I hadn't purchased a stock glove, I may have done something like that or North Stars colors. What size pads did you get and what are your initial impressions?

I can't wait to test out my pads in less than 3 hours now.

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!

Aniki posted:

You got the reverse color scheme that I did. If I hadn't purchased a stock glove, I may have done something like that or North Stars colors. What size pads did you get and what are your initial impressions?

I can't wait to test out my pads in less than 3 hours now.

I really like just about everything about them. The only thing I'm worried about is the minimal taper on the inside on the bottom of the pad. I highly doubt its going to be an issue but its the only thing I can see possibly bothering me right now. My 994's are 34+2" and these Zero G's are 36+1" which put me perfectly in the middle of the knee stack. They're stiffer than my 994's too but that might be an improvement.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Can you guys post the leg channel?

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...
It was hard for me to get a good gauge of the sizing when I tried the pads on at the store, but I used the pads at the goalie clinic tonight and my fears about the pads being too small were confirmed. The pads performed very well, they slide great, and are definitely well made, but the issue that I am having is that when I am butterflying, my knees have tendency to come forward and land infront of the knee blocks. With my old pads it wasn't uncommon for them to land behind the knee block, but with these pads my knees are landing an inch or two in front of the knee blocks. This doesn't happen every time I butterfly, but there were a couple times where my knees were exposed and literally on the ice and while I can play in these pads, I know that my knees should not be landing in front of the knee blocks like that.

I already placed a call with the Brian's rep and I'll hopefully be able to talk to him tomorrow and sort the issue out. I know that I'll at least need 33" +1's and I may even rethink the 34" +1's. Those pads felt big when I tried them on, but it may just be an issue with me needing to adapt to the size. I am pretty sure that the rep has a demo set of 34" +1's that I should be able to use while they send me out new pads. I would be frustrated if it wasn't for the fact that I saw this coming. I actually debated asking them to change the size when I discovered that my order was delayed, but I didn't follow through with it.

It is annoying, but Brian's is supposed to have excellent customer service, so I expect them to take care of this issue quickly. Hopefully they'll have a demo set that I can use in the interim, since I really don't want to go back to my old pads, though I'll use my Itech's tomorrow at the clinic.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Martytoof posted:

Can you guys post the leg channel?

I'll post some pictures tonight.

titanium posted:

I really like just about everything about them. The only thing I'm worried about is the minimal taper on the inside on the bottom of the pad. I highly doubt its going to be an issue but its the only thing I can see possibly bothering me right now. My 994's are 34+2" and these Zero G's are 36+1" which put me perfectly in the middle of the knee stack. They're stiffer than my 994's too but that might be an improvement.

The taper on the bottom of the pad is due to 2008-2009 NHL specs, it is designed to give pucks a better chance of sneaking underneath butterflying goalies. I actually like the stiffness from what I could tell. The pads really felt like they were part of my legs and it didn't seem to hinder my movement on the ice at all. I was also a bit surprised with just how big the outside edge/roll of these pads are. They seem to stick out at least an inch from the surface of the pad. I am not sure how that helps performance, but I wouldn't be shocked if that is something that is eventually regulated by the NHL. Also, going from 12" to 11" pads was very easy. My movement was better and I really didn't miss that extra inch of pad width.

Aniki fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Jun 13, 2009

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

That sucks to hear -- If your knees are landing in FRONT of the gear then it definitely sounds like bad news. Hope you can get that taken care of :(

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Martytoof posted:

That sucks to hear -- If your knees are landing in FRONT of the gear then it definitely sounds like bad news. Hope you can get that taken care of :(

If they were landing behind the landing gear it wouldn't be ideal, but at least my knees wouldn't be exposed. However, since they are landing in front of the landing gear, even with the thigh guards and volleyball knee pads, my knees were just too exposed. At least I'll gain a couple more inches of blocking surface out of this and even if the sizing wasn't right, it was good to get a chance to use the pads during a goalie clinic.

The goalie clinic actually went well. I am starting to get a better feel for crease movement and butterfly sliding. The big things that I figured out tonight is that when I am butterfly sliding that I need to push off of the inside edge of the skate, shuffling is basically doing mini T-pushes, and when I am doing a butterfly slide from my stance, I want to lose the edge on my lead league and push with my back leg. The latter may not sound like a big deal, but when I tried to pull that move off, especially when I was not coming out of a T-push, I would basically lose the edge with both of my skates and try to push with my back leg while I was in the process of dropping. I still need to get a lot of repetitions on these moves, but I have a pretty good idea of the principles behind them now. That's the big thing for me, I read a lot about goaltending, but being able to see these moves demonstrated and watch other goalies go through the same drills is really valuable.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

You're absolutely right that both scenarios are bad news, but at least if your knees are landing behind the gear then you can ask questions like "well is your boot strap tight enough?"

I only mention that because I lent my 35" pads to a friend who didn't do up the boot straps correctly on one pad and after the game he mentioned that one knee was constantly falling behind the landing gear. We took a look at it and the fool had enough slack in the strap to drive a small car through. How he didn't notice that I will never understand.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Martytoof posted:

You're absolutely right that both scenarios are bad news, but at least if your knees are landing behind the gear then you can ask questions like "well is your boot strap tight enough?"

I only mention that because I lent my 35" pads to a friend who didn't do up the boot straps correctly on one pad and after the game he mentioned that one knee was constantly falling behind the landing gear. We took a look at it and the fool had enough slack in the strap to drive a small car through. How he didn't notice that I will never understand.

I did wear the boot strap somewhat loose, since I was experimenting with that to help me get a better push for butterfly slides, but by loose I mean one notch above them just starting to feel tight. Still though, my knees should not be landing in front of the landing gear, so I need to go with pads that are at least 33" +1 and I may just err on the side of caution and go with 34" +1s.

gco
May 8, 2007

gco deserves bunnies, too!
Aniki, I knew from the moment you said 32" NHL spec (11") pads that they'd be pretty small, but I didn't think the knee would actually become exposed. I used 31" illegals until I was... 16 (?) and must've been 5'6-8" at the time, but never had a problem with my knee having the possibility of being shattered by being unprotected. From those 31's I went straight to 35+1 legals and I haven't looked back since. All around looseness is something you definitely have to get used to; I used to tighten my pads until they started to cut off the circulation to my foot but looser and bigger pads (with a sliding toe bridge) make butterflies so much more comfortable and effective respectively.

Anyway, played a spring league game for these Slovak guys; I don't know if my barking out English orders was effective at all, but I helped them to a 3-1 win so it's all good.

Also I'm trying to think about when the best time for me to go get new equipment will be. I have two decisions: get stock black/white glove/blocker ASAP (mine are currently illegal) so I'll be set for tryouts in September, or wait it out and if I make my college's ACHA team, get new glove/blocker/pads in the team's colors, which will last me for 3 years if I get to stay on the team until I graduate. I'm planning on working and getting $2k during the summer so I can pay for this stuff because I don't actually buy anything else ever.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

gco posted:

Aniki, I knew from the moment you said 32" NHL spec (11") pads that they'd be pretty small, but I didn't think the knee would actually become exposed. I used 31" illegals until I was... 16 (?) and must've been 5'6-8" at the time, but never had a problem with my knee having the possibility of being shattered by being unprotected. From those 31's I went straight to 35+1 legals and I haven't looked back since. All around looseness is something you definitely have to get used to; I used to tighten my pads until they started to cut off the circulation to my foot but looser and bigger pads (with a sliding toe bridge) make butterflies so much more comfortable and effective respectively.

Anyway, played a spring league game for these Slovak guys; I don't know if my barking out English orders was effective at all, but I helped them to a 3-1 win so it's all good.

Also I'm trying to think about when the best time for me to go get new equipment will be. I have two decisions: get stock black/white glove/blocker ASAP (mine are currently illegal) so I'll be set for tryouts in September, or wait it out and if I make my college's ACHA team, get new glove/blocker/pads in the team's colors, which will last me for 3 years if I get to stay on the team until I graduate. I'm planning on working and getting $2k during the summer so I can pay for this stuff because I don't actually buy anything else ever.

I figured they would be small, but I'm 5'7", so it didn't seem out of the realm of possibility. The Brian's rep told me to go with 32" +1 and the Vaughn rep agreed and even the owner of the shop, who is an ex-NHL goalie told me to go with that size, so even though I had my doubts about the sizing, I had a lot of people who should know a lot more about equipment than I do tell me to go with that size. That's also why I am not too worried about being able to exchange them for a different size, they all told me to go with 32" +1, I went with it and my fears were confirmed. I luckily have a lot of angles I can work in this situation, so it should be resolved quickly.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...
I am going to go meet with the Brian's rep and make sure that nothing is off with the size of my pads.

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!
That really sucks about the sizing, I honestly could have probably gone 37+1" after trying them on with my skates but I should be in zero danger of slipping forward on the stack.

Here's pics of my old set vs my newer set and pad details.

Zero G's.

You can see the dukes mod here where they tighten up the gap.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Did your DS994s also have closed leg channels? I really liked them on my Velocities but I honestly don't think I could go back to that kind of setup. It was a lot more comfortable but felt a little ... weird, after I had tried an open leg channel :haw:

Don't think I'd be a fan of the Brians' then :smith:

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

titanium posted:

That really sucks about the sizing, I honestly could have probably gone 37+1" after trying them on with my skates but I should be in zero danger of slipping forward on the stack.

I talked to the Brian's Rep and the owner of the store was there and we took a look at my pads and messed around with strapping and some other things. From what we can tell, the sizing actually is correct, but I appear to be having trouble with the concave boot channel as seen in titanium's picture. So he is going to order a piece either from Brian's or TPS that we insert into the boot channel and it allows the pads to sit up higher.

The other issue is that over the past couple months, I have progressively worn my leg pads looser and looser and so if I wanted to continue playing with my strapping that loose, then I would need to wear a 34" +1, since the looser you wear your pads the bigger the pads you need.

With that being said, I got the go ahead from the rep to continue using the pads, I tightened up my strapping, put on my Vaughn knee pads that I had hoped to banish, and everything worked very well at the camp today. I'll still need to tinker around with the strapping a little bit, but it was very nice of the rep to meet with me today and make sure everything is working perfectly with the pads. He actually has the same ATK as me, 17.5", so we are pretty confident that pads should work now and after I get the piece to raise the pads off of my skate, then everything should be perfect.

In the future, I'll probably err on the side of caution and go for at least a 33" +1, the pad length on my Zero G's is honestly fine for me and my main concern was protecting my knees and that seems like we figured it out.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...
I had a great thing happen at the rink today. When I got there, I realized that my sticks weren't in my car and I didn't have time to go back home and get them. So I ended up purchasing a 25.5" Esche curve Montreal goalie stick for $79 bucks. I then walk about 15 feet out of the shop and I see my sticks sitting in the office.

I decided to keep the stick, since I've wanted to try out Montreal/Warrior sticks for a while now and realistically that same stick would cost me at least $120 locally just to have the Warrior name on it. The stick seems very nice so far. Very light and the paddle length works well for me. I do kind of suspect that the stick won't last me over a year like my Sher-Wood 9950 has, but once I play in a league, I could definitely see the value of using Montreal/Warrior sticks as my game sticks and sticking with the 9950s for everything else.

Also, the last day of the camp went really well. I am starting to make a lot of progress on my crease movements and butterfly slides and while I'm not doing everything exactly how I want to yet, the repitions definitely seem to be helping. I also got some advice on shooting and I'm looking forward to trying that out tonight.

So today was kind of hectic, but luckily my pads seem like they are going to be ok and while I ended up with a stick I didn't necessarily need, I was going to buy that stick next week anyway, so it isn't too big of a deal. I'll try to get some pictures of all my gear up at some point this weekend, but I feel a lot better now that my pad issues appear to be resolved.

Edit: As counterintuitive as it seemed to me, one of my big problems is that I actually challenge out too far. I've always done that since I started out playing roller where challengeing the shooter is much more important and also to make up for my lack of ideal size. However, playing out too far had a tendency to make me a sitting duck on breakaways and cross crease plays, so it is actually better for me to stay a little in the blue paint, so that I can move around the crease more quickly. That's going to be a big philosophy change for me, but with as far as I played out before, it really did leave me dead in the water on those plays with my only recourse being sticking my leg out as far as possible and hope that I interfere with shot.

Aniki fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Jun 14, 2009

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...
I decided to play hockey Saturday night after having a goalie clinic in the afternoon. It sounded like a good idea at the time, but playing 2 on 2 on choppy ice was absolutely brutal. I was still able to work on butterfly sliding and shuffling and the big thing for me is just going to be repetition and also getting the timing down on some of those moves, since I had a quite a few plays where my timing was just a fraction of a second off. Though towards the end of the session, I knew what I wanted to do, but my body just wouldn't cooperate.

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!
Used the pads for the first time tonight. They're definitely must different than my 994's, much stiffer but not in a bad way. I like them a lot and by the end of the night I had adjusted my stance and play to them.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Aniki do you find yourself actually remembering to do things that you pick up in the clinic, like do you find yourself checking your old habits vs new technique?

I'm curious whether you're seeing a lot of difference. How many lessons are under your belt anyway?

I'm probably going to start next week so I'd be curious to see how effective you think your sessions are. Even though we're going to two totally different coaches with different goals, I suppose :haw:

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Martytoof posted:

Aniki do you find yourself actually remembering to do things that you pick up in the clinic, like do you find yourself checking your old habits vs new technique?

I'm curious whether you're seeing a lot of difference. How many lessons are under your belt anyway?

I'm probably going to start next week so I'd be curious to see how effective you think your sessions are. Even though we're going to two totally different coaches with different goals, I suppose :haw:

I actually do think about the stuff that we covered in the clinics when I am playing, but the big hurdle I am facing right now is overcoming the muscle memory that I have built up over the years. It is one thing to now what move/save selection you need to make, but when you only have a split second to react, your body is going to revert to muscle memory. You can break that with repetition, but beyond that I actually feel like I need to slow myself down for a while. It may lead to me giving up more goals in the short term, but if I can integrate these moves into my game and devote them to muscle memory, then I know that I will be a better goalie.

As for the clinic, it was four 1 hour and 15 minute sessions. I may try to get some more coaching in a few weeks, but between adapting to new equipment and trying to change my technique and style of play, it is going to take me a few weeks to absorb/adapt to everything. I think that all of the changes will be for the better, but it is a lot for me to handle all at once.

I think that the sessions were very effective. Reading about technique is good, but it doesn't compare to being able to watch the technique and have coaches give you instant feeback on what you are doing right and wrong. There's a lot of little things that get left out or lost in translation when you read about them and it really is impressive how much more you seem to absorb in goalie camp/clinic environment. It was definitely worth my time and money and I'd do it again if I have the opportunity.

titanium posted:

Used the pads for the first time tonight. They're definitely must different than my 994's, much stiffer but not in a bad way. I like them a lot and by the end of the night I had adjusted my stance and play to them.

The Zero G's are a lot different from my old pads as well. I like a lot of the changes, but I don't think it would have been possible for me to pick a pad that was more different than my old Itech Vamps. Do you notice any difference with the lower weight of the pads and how do they slide compared to your Simmons 994's?

Aniki fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Jun 15, 2009

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!

Aniki posted:

I actually do think about the stuff that we covered in the clinics when I am playing, but the big hurdle I am facing right now is overcoming the muscle memory that I have built up over the years. It is one thing to now what move/save selection you need to make, but when you only have a split second to react, your body is going to revert to muscle memory. You can break that with repetition, but beyond that I actually feel like I need to slow myself down for a while. It may lead to me giving up more goals in the short term, but if I can integrate these moves into my game and devote them to muscle memory, then I know that I will be a better goalie.

As for the clinic, it was four 1 hour and 15 minute sessions. I may try to get some more coaching in a few weeks, but between adapting to new equipment and trying to change my technique and style of play, it is going to take me a few weeks to absorb/adapt to everything. I think that all of the changes will be for the better, but it is a lot for me to handle all at once.

I think that the sessions were very effective. Reading about technique is good, but it doesn't compare to being able to watch the technique and have coaches give you instant feeback on what you are doing right and wrong. There's a lot of little things that get left out or lost in translation when you read about them and it really is impressive how much more you seem to absorb in goalie camp/clinic environment. It was definitely worth my time and money and I'd do it again if I have the opportunity.

The Zero G's are a lot different from my old pads as well. I like a lot of the changes, but I don't think it would have been possible for me to pick a pad that was more different than my old Itech Vamps. Do you notice any difference with the lower weight of the pads and how do they slide compared to your Simmons 994's?

Try to make a movement warmup routine that uses the techniques they're teaching you. This will help get you in the mindset right off the bat. Side to side, faceoff dot to faceoff dot angles, center to post center to post. Then do butterfly sides between positions.

I cant really tell if they're sliding better than my 994's because they're new or because of the pad design. The 994 is a great pad so sliding wasnt ever much of an issue for them. The weight difference is 1.6lbs total which is is a huge % off a set of already light pads. I'm not sure how much it'll help but when I'm holding each pad in my hand I can tell.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

titanium posted:

Try to make a movement warmup routine that uses the techniques they're teaching you. This will help get you in the mindset right off the bat. Side to side, faceoff dot to faceoff dot angles, center to post center to post. Then do butterfly sides between positions.

I cant really tell if they're sliding better than my 994's because they're new or because of the pad design. The 994 is a great pad so sliding wasnt ever much of an issue for them. The weight difference is 1.6lbs total which is is a huge % off a set of already light pads. I'm not sure how much it'll help but when I'm holding each pad in my hand I can tell.

I'll try doing that, though I know the second I skate into the crease, I'll have some forward waiting to shoot. Still though I need to get the repetitions and work on the new movements, so I'll just ignore the shooters and focus on what I need to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!

Aniki posted:

I'll try doing that, though I know the second I skate into the crease, I'll have some forward waiting to shoot. Still though I need to get the repetitions and work on the new movements, so I'll just ignore the shooters and focus on what I need to.

I kinda run through it quick by the score box since they usually have a half circle there.

• Locked thread