Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Say something hideous and horrible jumps out at you. Something so disgusting that it simply must die.
Ah! Oh!..So tacky! I can't...look...directly at it!

TShields posted:

I got an email that says I'm being considered for a job! maybe this will turn into something good..

Good luck!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

TShields posted:

I got an email that says I'm being considered for a job! maybe this will turn into something good..

fingers crossed!

TShields
Mar 30, 2007

We can rule them like gods! ...Angry gods.
Thanks guys! Took the assessment last night, hopefully I'll get a call soon!

Meow Cadet posted:

I kinda overheard one of our 'key carriers' (aka manager on duty, sometimes) that he was only making 3 dollars an hour more than I am. I would really expect him to make at least double what I do. Ugh, there really is no future with this company.

And now I'm feeling such guilt over making .25 cents an hour more than most (all?) of my fellow employees of at the same level as me.

The next level above my role makes 3x what I do. It was my ultimate goal, my reason for taking this loving job in the first place. They eliminated that role in January. :doh:

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

It reads all over his face,
like he's an Italian.
In california minimum wage is 8/hr. My old shift supervisors (who were essentially managers, since we didn't have a manager for the most part) who had been with the company for 5 years or more, made 9/hr. I think one woman, who had been with them upwards of 20 years made 10/hr.

mystery at hog island
Aug 16, 2003
Captain of Outer Space

2508084 posted:

In california minimum wage is 8/hr. My old shift supervisors (who were essentially managers, since we didn't have a manager for the most part) who had been with the company for 5 years or more, made 9/hr. I think one woman, who had been with them upwards of 20 years made 10/hr.
When I worked at Starbucks the ASM would literally make less money than shift supervisors if the store pulled in more than two or three dollars an hour in tips.

The idea was that the ASM was training to be an SM who would make good money but a lot of them were never going to see their own store.

TShields
Mar 30, 2007

2508084 posted:

I make $9.25, but there is a woman in the pharmacy who is NOTHING but a cashier. Not a pharmacy tech, not a supervisor- a cashier. She makes $14 an hour, just because she's been here for 3 years and got in before the belt tightening. gently caress that, I do 10x what she does, why don't I deserve that much?

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

like he's an Italian.

TShields posted:

I make $9.25, but there is a woman in the pharmacy who is NOTHING but a cashier. Not a pharmacy tech, not a supervisor- a cashier. She makes $14 an hour, just because she's been here for 3 years and got in before the belt tightening. gently caress that, I do 10x what she does, why don't I deserve that much?

Did they have a mandatory raise policy and shes been there for a long time? Or shes loving the boss.

Hidohebhi
Nov 19, 2006

"Do you know how hard it was to find 'a bangin' redhead'?"
Both of those are good possibilities, but I know when I started working for walgreens as a pharm tech, I started at $10.50 an hour and when I left ~4 years later I was making 12.44/hr. So, pharmacy generally makes better money than the front of the store. But I've NEVER heard of a cashier making as much as a tech. That's just friggin' ridiculous.

TShields
Mar 30, 2007

2508084 posted:

Did they have a mandatory raise policy and shes been there for a long time? Or shes loving the boss.

Possibly both. I know she gets her way a lot because she butters him up- coffee, smoothies, all that. She has a register drawer that is untouchable- her and her alone, and that isnt the norm around here either. There is a yearly raise policy, but right now it's locked at an embarrassing 2% per year. Really trying to hold on to employees like that! She easily could have started at something crazy before the belt-tightening like $12 and just gotten raises to be where she is.

ijii
Mar 17, 2007
I'M APPARENTLY GAY AND MY POSTING SUCKS.

TShields posted:

The company I work for have a few discrepancies like that throughout several departments. I have no idea if there are issues like that in the pharmacy or not.

I work with a company that has a union and has gone through several merges throughout the last couple of decades. Before I became an assistant of the department, I was just a clerk who did everything except managerial tasks, on a particular payscale with no way of getting full time. However there are clerks who've been with the company 15 years prior to me getting hired and they are on a payscale that maxes out $4/hr more than what I ever can get plus they are full time, but their job description is exactly the same as mine. To make it worse, they do less than me because they never adapted to the change of the industry as times have passed. It's loving infuriating that I had to step up to management to get at least what they get, yet they just sit comfortably with they fantastic contract and put hardly any effort into their jobs.

I've been with the company for 10 years now and new hires will never max out to what I would have maxed out on if I would have stayed as a regular clerk.

It's depressing to hear how some of the folk grandfathered from other companies can retire 15 years sooner than I can when I reach that age. It feels like I missed the boat on several good deals just because I was born just a little too late.

Duck_King
Sep 5, 2003

leader.bmp

ijii posted:

It feels like I missed the boat on several good deals just because I was born just a little too late.

Welcome to the world we've inherited from the Boomers!

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

like he's an Italian.

Duck_King posted:

Welcome to the world we've inherited from the Boomers!

My current job (not retail, government technically) said I might be able to become full time in a couple of years. :3:

:smithicide:

Raere
Dec 13, 2007

Did anyone have to work Presidents' Day weekend?

I had to work Saturday, Sunday, and Monday. The deals weren't all that good, but that didn't stop people from swarming on us like a horde of locusts.

Thankfully a lot of people were patient with the sales guys not being able to help them right away, but there were plenty of entitled people who demand they be helped right this instant, they drove all the way from their house to get here. It didn't help that one of the three front-end registers was down, and one of the spare computers we use for inventory lookups was down as well.

We had lines of associates waiting to use a computer to either ring customers out or try to do inventory lookups. It was almost faster to grab a keyholder and get let into lockup and see for yourself how many of something were left. Absurd that a big, heavy traffic office supply store only has 6 computers, only 4 of which have register function, and the other 2 are down every other day. By the end of the day, 1 register was completely down, 2 of the others' touchscreens failed (luckily the keyboards have little touchpads for backup, but it's much slower instead of just hitting the buttons), and one of the spares lost inventory lookup.

The service plan numbers were really bad too, the people who came out for the cheap computers didn't want to spend a penny more. I'm usually against service plans, but an extra $100 on a $350 laptop is still drat cheap, and you've got total protection for 3 years.

There's nothing better than working an insane 10-hour shift with no break and getting yelled at for not selling even more. But hey, management ordered pizza for us!

Raere fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Feb 23, 2011

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat

Raere posted:

There's nothing better than working an insane 10-hour shift with no break and getting yelled at for not selling even more.

"Am I able to leave yet?"

"I'm sorry, but there are people here who have been working longer and harder than you"

This is after having worked 11 hours and, besides the break, constantly doing something at all times. That's not a situation where you want to be told you're apparently not working hard enough without something to brutally eviscerate afterwards.

Invis
Apr 26, 2010
Jesus. Working 10+ hours without a break is absurd and illegal where I'm from. If a manager wants me to work longer than my allocated shift, they will ask me politely. I'm allowed to refuse and they are lucky if I stay on longer. If I don't get a break and the issue is not settled (e.g they give me 2x break time on my next shift and I am satisfied) then I will bring it up with HR. If nothing eventuates then I will bring it up with the Work Ombudsman. That poo poo just does not fly. I feel for you guys and gals out there that have these poor conditions.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Invis posted:

Jesus. Working 10+ hours without a break is absurd and illegal where I'm from. If a manager wants me to work longer than my allocated shift, they will ask me politely. I'm allowed to refuse and they are lucky if I stay on longer. If I don't get a break and the issue is not settled (e.g they give me 2x break time on my next shift and I am satisfied) then I will bring it up with HR. If nothing eventuates then I will bring it up with the Work Ombudsman. That poo poo just does not fly. I feel for you guys and gals out there that have these poor conditions.

What in the hell is a Work Ombudsman? Are you Union or European/Australian?

TShields
Mar 30, 2007

I technically have to clock out for a break if I work anything over 6 hours, but we are encouraged by the store manager and district manager to continue to work through the break anyway. :smith: I usually take enough of a break to have a bite to eat, which is usually just junk that I can buy in the store or a meal replacement bar that I've brought from home, but some of the floor staff will clock out and keep working. I gotta get out of this place...

Invis
Apr 26, 2010

Solkanar512 posted:

What in the hell is a Work Ombudsman? Are you Union or European/Australian?

Wikipedia posted:

The Fair Work Ombudsman is the central point of contact for free advice and information on the Australian national workplace relations system. The Fair Work Ombudsman also investigates workplace complaints and enforces compliance with national workplace laws.

Yes I am Australian. I was in a union but decided I didn't want to pay the fees anymore.

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Say something hideous and horrible jumps out at you. Something so disgusting that it simply must die.
Ah! Oh!..So tacky! I can't...look...directly at it!

TShields posted:

I technically have to clock out for a break if I work anything over 6 hours, but we are encouraged by the store manager and district manager to continue to work through the break anyway. :smith:
...This is what I was fired for. They aren't allowed to legally do this. On your exit you might want to ask HR for the money you're due.

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

I hope he didn't care about that pizza.
Welp! Just got home after getting to work for 7:30 to unload the truck. Turns out the truck won't get there until 10, and everybody knew that except for me, who hasn't had a shift since Sunday. There's an internet service through which I can check my schedule and no one has bothered to update that or even call me, so with nothing to do or 2.5 hours I have to just come home and maybe catch a little more sleep.

I need a new drat job. Even another retail job would be better that poo poo like this. I'm already getting less than 15 hours this week and that's pretty much standard lately, even less than new hires who get 20-30.

Raere
Dec 13, 2007

I work in NH where you're legally mandated a break for every 5 hours. So, a 10-hour shift demands an hour in breaks. On my schedule it even will say 9.0 hours for 9-7. 10 hour shifts are usually Sundays, which are also the busiest day of the week. It's usually just too drat busy to take a break. If you ask a manager if you can take a break, they'll ask you to wait until it gets less crowded, which it never does.

I spoke with one of the assistant managers about not getting breaks about a quarter of the time I work, and he half-threatened me, "That's just how it is working here. If someone were to complain to the labor department about not getting breaks, we'd get hit with a fine, and some people would lose their jobs..."

It's not as bad for me, as I'm an in-store tech, so I have access to the tech bench office. We always keep snacks and drink in there, so if I get really hungry on the floor I can sneak back and munch for a few minutes. The cashiers and full-time sales guys, however... I don't know how they do it.

Frankly I'm surprised no one's played whistleblower yet. Corporate also conveniently ignores that no one in the store punches out for breaks on weekends. The GM keeps saying he's going to hire more people so we'll only be kinda understaffed as opposed to woefully understaffed, but that remains to be seen.

ijii
Mar 17, 2007
I'M APPARENTLY GAY AND MY POSTING SUCKS.
To those who say they have to clock out for break... If you work a 12pm-5pm with a break in between, do you get paid the full 5 hours, or get paid 4 hours 50 minutes (assuming 10 minute break).

Where I work, we don't have to clock out to take a break. Only 30 minute lunches we have to clock out for since we don't get paid for it. If I had it my way, I would work my 8 hour shift without lunch just so I don't have to waste 30 more minutes at work that I don't get paid for. Unfortunately it's against the law to not take a lunch if we worked 6 1/2 hours or more in a day, so that means people who don't want to take a lunch are forced to.

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

like he's an Italian.

ijii posted:

To those who say they have to clock out for break... If you work a 12pm-5pm with a break in between, do you get paid the full 5 hours, or get paid 4 hours 50 minutes (assuming 10 minute break).

Where I work, we don't have to clock out to take a break. Only 30 minute lunches we have to clock out for since we don't get paid for it. If I had it my way, I would work my 8 hour shift without lunch just so I don't have to waste 30 more minutes at work that I don't get paid for. Unfortunately it's against the law to not take a lunch if we worked 6 1/2 hours or more in a day, so that means people who don't want to take a lunch are forced to.

I had to clock out for my break, but there was a "break" button and a "lunch" button. Hit break, it just tracks your time so if you hit 10:01 they can write you up. Hit lunch, and you're clocked out AND they can hit you with a write up if you come back at 30:01

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
My job is sweet, I do tend to work at least 2-3 11 hour shifts (10-9 mall hours) by myself (tiny lovely kiosk), so while i don't technically get a break or lunch, I have enough downtime to chill or to go grab lunch and always stay on the clock.

copy of a
Mar 13, 2010

by zen death robot
6 days in a row with no days off, each day was an 8-9 hour day. My legs are shot, my knees are shot, I can't even feel my feet. I was sick today but because I left sick the other day, I could not leave today. I have two days off, Thursday for fun and Friday for pre-op appointments, then I work Sat-Mon, each 8 hour shifts until Tuesday when I go to get cut open and then can't work for another 3 days. I expect on the day that I come back, I'll have another 8 hour shift where I'll be writhing in even more pain because I just got a large hole poked into my stomach.
I loving hate this loving job.

Invis
Apr 26, 2010

silversiren posted:

6 days in a row with no days off, each day was an 8-9 hour day.
Ouch. That really sucks man. But think of the cash! I'm quite the opposite at the moment, I had Sunday-Thursday off, with Friday and Saturday 12-7pm being my only shifts for the week. Went to my job network agency today in fact. Job searching will commence on Monday.

ijii posted:

Not sure what "clocking off" is; at my work the manager will just say "Do you wanna go on break?" and then you can go. But yes, we get paid for the full 5 hours (10 minute break assumption was correct). If we work 6 hours then we get a 15 minute break (paid), if we work 7 hours we get a 30 minute break (paid), if we work 8+ we get a 1 hour break (not paid).

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?
Not much incentive to work 8 hours then, as you get the same amount of pay as working 7.

Meow Cadet
May 2, 2007

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

rolleyes posted:

Not much incentive to work 8 hours then, as you get the same amount of pay as working 7.

In California, you must take a 10 minute break for every 4 hours of work, or major part thereof. So, for each 2-4 hour shift, you take a 10 minute PAID break in the middle. (My work gives us 15 minutes, since it takes a minute or two to go to the break room). We are required to say on site for our break. Bathroom breaks are not required to be taken during official break time. (although most of us use the bathroom during official breaks)

Also, in California, we are required to take a lunch hour if we work 5 hours or more. Lunch is UNPAID. I've been told that if I clock out for lunch just a minute past 5 hours, they have to pay me for an extra hour (Overtime? I'm not sure) and that I get put on the poo poo list.

Speaking of overtime, 10ish year ago in California, overtime changed from 40+ hours a week, to 8+ hours a day. So you can't stay late one day to go early the next.

Also, my Manager told me the other day it was illegal to work 7 days straight in a single pay period (Not sure if California law or federal law). But, for us, with a pay period of every 2 weeks, that means you could potentially work 12 days in a row (6 days on each side of the pay period) without getting trouble.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
So as some may remember from earlier in the thread, I got passed up for the Starbucks manager position so that they could hire some girl from backroom that had no idea what she was doing and was absolutely not qualified in any way.

That was 3 months ago. Today I overheard my old manager talking on the phone with someone about how "She still hasn't picked it up and doesn't remember to look at the cards" and "She gets overwhelmed and freezes up".

From talking with some friends I still have over on that side of the store, the old manager is going to have to train her AGAIN to make the drinks. Now I've seen a lot of people come and go from Starbucks throughout my time working there and I've never seen someone take more than a month to pick up the recipes. But here she is, 3 months into her manager position and she can't even do the most basic of duties.

The employees don't like working with her, the regulars don't like ordering from her, and I'm sure management doesn't like having to constantly report to Starbucks because she can't handle her job. But there you go. Way better choice than the guy who everyone liked, was the most competent, and was already running the place between the time the old manager transferred and he was denied the position.

I LOVE TARGET. :unsmigghh:

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

It sometimes amazes me how incompetent people can be.

I mean no offence when I say this; but managing a Starbucks can't be the most difficult thing in the world.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
No offense taken, but it is probably a bit more complicate than you would believe. Still, nothing that any normal human being couldn't do with a weeks worth of training, let alone 3 months. It is a retail job after all.

From what I've heard from my old coworkers though, they've run out of mocha powder and cup sleeves at least a few times. Which is pretty astounding since you don't have to worry about ordering too much of the stuff because cup sleeves never expire and mocha lasts I think a year on the shelf. There is no reason you wouldn't order as much as you can fit on the shelves every week(which by itself is enough mocha and sleeves to last for over a month).

I don't understand how she is screwing up this bad.

I don't understand why they are letting her screw up this bad.

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat
Dear Children's Medical Center:

Please send a new ad for your business to my workplace, because regardless of how much you love this kid's wackiness, I'm going to lose my loving mind if I hear him scream "STEELLAAAAAAAA" in my ear one more time.

The actual owner of the company came in today. What is it with these types that they can't directly tell you what the find wrong with your performance so you can actually take something away from it, instead just giving you the passive-aggressive stance in some decided effort to make you feel paranoid about losing your job? Even in his shoes, I wouldn't give myself an air of superiority over the people working for me.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

miscellaneous14 posted:

The actual owner of the company came in today. What is it with these types that they can't directly tell you what the find wrong with your performance so you can actually take something away from it, instead just giving you the passive-aggressive stance in some decided effort to make you feel paranoid about losing your job?

Because they don't know you or your record and don't care, and the vast majority of retail employees are doing *something* wrong. Keeps you on your toes as you say.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Meow Cadet posted:

In California, you must take a 10 minute break for every 4 hours of work, or major part thereof. So, for each 2-4 hour shift, you take a 10 minute PAID break in the middle. (My work gives us 15 minutes, since it takes a minute or two to go to the break room). We are required to say on site for our break. Bathroom breaks are not required to be taken during official break time. (although most of us use the bathroom during official breaks)

Also, in California, we are required to take a lunch hour if we work 5 hours or more. Lunch is UNPAID. I've been told that if I clock out for lunch just a minute past 5 hours, they have to pay me for an extra hour (Overtime? I'm not sure) and that I get put on the poo poo list.

When I was in high school (Florida) it was similar to this at the theme park I worked at, but with a half hour unpaid lunch we had to clock in/out for. Since I (and a lot of the other employees) was a minor, we had to clock out for lunch, and if we missed it the company got a big fine from the state. AFAIK it wasn't a big problem in my area, but eventually management got the cute idea of scheduling minors for two 3.5 hour shifts an hour apart to eliminate the need to give us an official lunch break. They also tried to stipulate we couldn't leave company property during that one hour between shifts, but I just said gently caress it and went and got Chinese food instead eating the poo poo in the cafeteria, which I was pretty sick of by that time.

I was good about taking my lunches but one time during a slow school week my senior year (I think we had 2.5 days of classes) I managed to get OT by picking up some extra shifts, which resulted in a fine for the company. Eh, gently caress 'em.

TShields
Mar 30, 2007

minusX posted:

...This is what I was fired for. They aren't allowed to legally do this. On your exit you might want to ask HR for the money you're due.

If it's not on paper, how can they prove it? My boss would just say "no, of course we don't do that, that would be illegal!" and they'd be on their merry little way. I mean, it's not like they force you to not take a break, they just let you know it's an option. Daily.

We have the option of taking a paid 15 minute break, but nobody ever does- mainly because they conveniently forget to tell everyone in our district. It's in the handbook though. In our state, we have to take a 30 minute unpaid lunch every 6 hours. I've worked 10 hour shifts and not taken one before, but that's just me. The manager usually schedules cashiers for 5 hour and 30 minute shifts just so they aren't required to take a break. :jerkbag:

TShields fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Feb 24, 2011

Robzor McFabulous
Jan 31, 2011

TShields posted:

I mean, it's not like they force you to not take a break, they just let you know it's an option. Daily.

When I first started working on the checkouts for a large retail chain in the UK, I was given the option on my second or third shift of giving up half my hour's lunchbreak in return for getting half an hour's pay. Since I'd only just started I wasn't really mates with my co-workers yet and I was generally bored on my lunchbreak, so I said sure.

Big mistake. After a few months I found that only having half an hour to chill with my new buddies and escape the monotony of the checkout just wasn't enough. I asked to get my full hour back, but oooh dear, it'll take some shifting around, we've organised all the rotas around you only having half an hour, we'll try, but it might take a few weeks, get back to us... Yeah right. I never did get it back.

copy of a
Mar 13, 2010

by zen death robot
What is all this nonsense about 10 minute breaks? I've taken a few, and I mean literally a few, in the 4+ months I've been working at my store, but I've had to pretty much beg and plead and tell them I'm going to pass out if I don't eat something RIGHT NOW to get them to let me do that, and even then, it's not a full 10 minutes.
HOWEVER, when I was hired, the manager let me know that smokers can and DO get 10 minute breaks every 3-4 hours so they can go out and smoke.
Maybe I should take up smoking.

Ninja_Orca
Nov 12, 2010

by hoodrow trillson

silversiren posted:

Maybe I should take up smoking.

When I worked at Alco, everyone who smoked pretty much got to take a break whenever they wanted. I think I was about the only person who didn't. Thought it was pretty lovely, but couldn't be bothered to take up smoking to take advantage of it.

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009

Ninja_Orca posted:

When I worked at Alco, everyone who smoked pretty much got to take a break whenever they wanted. I think I was about the only person who didn't. Thought it was pretty lovely, but couldn't be bothered to take up smoking to take advantage of it.
I "took up smoking" at my previous job. It was the best decision I ever made, because it got me two extra breaks a day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

like he's an Italian.

Sonic Dude posted:

I "took up smoking" at my previous job. It was the best decision I ever made, because it got me two extra breaks a day.

Pretty much. Buy a pack, light it, occasionally pull the smoke in your mouth and blow it out. Your mouth will taste like molten rear end, but poo poo for ten minutes of peace.. I feel bad for you guys in states that have no legally mandated breaks.