Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
Who decides it gets to the "selecting" official? Is it a person or a computer?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:
Not sure, but here's the key to USA Jobs Application Status messages:
https://my.usajobs.gov/help/help.aspx?k=/account/applyhistory.aspx

quote:

Eligible - Application Not Referred to Selecting Official: Candidate meets minimum qualification requirements, but is not determined to be among the best qualified and so is not referred for selection consideration.
Answer 5s whenever you can.

Tortilla Maker
Dec 13, 2005
Un Desmadre A Toda Madre

Tortilla Maker posted:

I'm a Wage Hour Investigator (formerly Compliance Officer) with the Department of Labor.

If anyone has any specific questions, feel free to PM me.

Edit.

Tortilla Maker fucked around with this message at 12:50 on Oct 12, 2011

BrainParasite
Jan 24, 2003

In case you didn't get the email, USAJOBS will be down for maintenance October 6-12. They want you to login before October 1 to add some security questions.

Zoo
Oct 24, 2004

I hate to break it to you, but there is no big lie, there is no system. The universe is indifferent.

TLG James posted:

Seconding what grover said. I've never heard of anyone saying, "hey, you selected Es or 5s on USAJobs, pal, now explain yourself..." -- although lying would be a bad idea; just think creatively. I don't know what job(s) you applied to, but I bet that by someone's standards you're an expert on most of those questions if it was an IT job. You've probably supervised people doing it, too. Supervision doesn't mean being in a supervisory billet, per se. Your military experience probably means you trained someone for OJT. That sounds like supervising someone while they conducted a task on which you're an expert to me. That's a max-out on that one.

Just remember your goal is to interview, so you don't want to waste anyone's time. The human challenges will come from your resume and interview content.

I think USAJobs' order of events is a mystery to most or all of us, but we seem to all agree that at least part of it is a scripted formula you should strive to max out. You need to "cert," and contend with the oh-so-brilliant arbiters of occupational competence in HR (agency-dependent; at some places it's easier for a hiring official to manually pull your resume after you cert). The only solid bit I can confirm is that you should strive to maximize your score on the answers, as everyone else said.

squidtarts
May 26, 2005

I think women are intimidated by me because I have mean cartoon eyebrows.
I've always heard that the hiring process is long and drawn out for federal government jobs, but does anyone know if that's different when you have a special status for disabilities? My vocational rehab counselor is all about me trying to get a federal job (I have an English degree and currently have a job I hate as a preschool teacher) but I don't know if it's likely to help me move on from my current job within the next few months.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Any word on the pathways program?

JohnnyHildo
Jul 23, 2002

squidtarts posted:

I've always heard that the hiring process is long and drawn out for federal government jobs, but does anyone know if that's different when you have a special status for disabilities? My vocational rehab counselor is all about me trying to get a federal job (I have an English degree and currently have a job I hate as a preschool teacher) but I don't know if it's likely to help me move on from my current job within the next few months.

In my experience on the hiring side, there is no difference in hiring speed for Schedule A applicants compared to public and status applicants.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

maskenfreiheit fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Nov 29, 2013

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

GregNorc posted:

So are the pension benefits for federal employees as good as they're made out to be?

I know it varies from agency to agency, but what does an average plan pay out?
New employees are under the FERS (federal employees retirement system). Basically, 1% of your base pay for every year of service, augmented by TSP, a sort of 401k mutual fund. Gov offers matching pay up to 5%. So, you put in 5%, gov matches 5%, and you get 10% of your salary into a mutual fund.

FERS + TSP + social security = your retirement. If you start young and invest well (and the market holds out) it's a pretty good retirement system. Not really as good as the old government pension plan, but better than most people have.

grover fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Sep 25, 2011

Midge the Jet
Sep 15, 2006

squidtarts posted:

My husband got in through the Schedule A program just a few days before the end of fiscal year 2010. It took him over a year of applying to get a job (started May 2009, started working for the IRS in Sept 2010). He also had about 7 interviews with agencies, and attended the Federal Hiring Fair for People with Disabilities in DC in April 2010. From what I've been hearing, its been tough even if you have the ability to get a noncompetitive appointment due to the budget cuts.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004
/

Kuri
Jun 26, 2009
I'll probably regret this, but I work in equal employment opportunity/diversity/civil rights in the Federal sector, and I get to deal with nearly all aspects of the HR chain and any other related portion.

In answer to some of the later chatter, Schedule A is spectacular...if you have a great Special Placement Coordinator or if you have an "in" with someone in the office/agency you are trying to go to. Schedule A can shorten your time to starting, but it is also a gamble for the hiring official - offices like mine try to help alleviate any irrational fears and promote heavy usage of the program, but there is only so much we can do.

If you have any other related questions, I'd be more than happy to help as best I can!

Zoo
Oct 24, 2004

I hate to break it to you, but there is no big lie, there is no system. The universe is indifferent.

GregNorc posted:

I'm about to pick an internship for my PhD, which will probably be where I end up working post-grad school. If the pay really is that crappy, I don't see why I'd go for a goverment agency

I don't either, unless you have some personal national service interest. You just described right here a huge part of the problem in attracting qualified applicants (not to imply education automatically brings competence, but you get the idea), though the bad economy changes things sometimes.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

TLG James posted:

For my agency, I believe the applications are first sorted by how you answer the multiple choice questions (be as aggressive and creative in answering these as you can! I usually print out the questions and jot my answers down, just in case I get asked about them, though I never have been). The top X% of applications are then cross-checked to make sure they look legitimate. From there, the cream of the crop (depends on how many, as little as 5, as many as 30+) are sent to the hiring official. From there, the hiring official conducts interviews, background calls, etc.

As has been said, your goal should be to get the hiring official calling you and/or making calls about you. You do that by being very aggressive in answering those stupid questions. Do not be modest about what you put there.

BrainParasite posted:

In case you didn't get the email, USAJOBS will be down for maintenance October 6-12. They want you to login before October 1 to add some security questions.

Don't forget about this. I'd download your resume locally (if you don't already) just to make sure that if the contractor fucks this up you aren't hosed too.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

maskenfreiheit fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Apr 28, 2019

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

GregNorc posted:

Wow. I assumed there was some separate payscale someone would snarkily link me to.

That's like, really amazing. I mean, when a university professor would be rolling in dough compared to federal employee with the same education, that's not good at all.

On USAJOBS, look for the line "Promotion Potential". That's the GS level that you can get promoted to while performing that particular job. Usually you get a few noncompetitive promotions, then one or two that you have to "earn" to reach that level. Then you start stepping up within that level.

Merrack
Sep 15, 2007
Also, that's why we all end up as contractors. Come back to the same job at the same agency, +100% of the salary. It's unfortunate that the govt. can't seem to figure out a way to change it, though.

Zoo
Oct 24, 2004

GregNorc posted:

Wow. I assumed there was some separate payscale someone would snarkily link me to.

That's like, really amazing. I mean, when a university professor would be rolling in dough compared to federal employee with the same education, that's not good at all.

For full disclosure, you can sometimes have a de facto automatic progression to -12 a year after promotion to -11 (I don't know how this works for all job series, just mine). But as you're in a sci/tech industry, that's still not going to entice you much IMO. Tyro explained this more generally, too.

edit: and yes, intel does tend to pay/start you higher, though it still uses the GS pay scale for salary and starting grades tend to vary depending on the organization. It's still going to be the -9/11/12 thing. People with less education than you can start at -7 in intel, even in DC sometimes. And usually you'll start at step 1, though particularly if you come in from contracting (as mentioned above), you might successfully negotiate a higher starting step.

Zoo fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Sep 29, 2011

R2ICustomerSupport
Dec 12, 2004

I have been following this thread from the start. Government jobs always seemed interesting to me, especially the foreign service. I actually considered a career in the foreign service at one point. I see a lot of Goons in this thread asking about how to properly write and format their resume to apply for federal jobs.

I am offering a free basic resume critique to anyone interested in applying to a federal job. I have been paid to write over 2000 resumes. Some of those have been targeted at federal jobs. Just send me an email with your resume to support@resumetointerviews.com. I also have a thread in the SA-Mart with over 2900 replies as evidence that my critique is worthwhile.

As a full disclosure, I am offering this help as a way for me to spread the word about my resume writing service. I am being honest because Goons are very intelligent and pick up on B.S. in an instant. To redeem this one-time offer sign up at...just kidding. In all seriousness, I really am offering professional advice and expect nothing in return.

Mods: If this is not kosher let me know and I will remove this post.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

GregNorc posted:

Do contractors ever do research, or are those usually grunt programming/systems admin type roles?

If I could be doing some sort of information assurance role, while making a private sector salary, that would be pretty attractive. Something similar to the role an analyst at CERT provides would be really interesting to me.

There's tons of IA/infosec contracting work.

Angora
Feb 16, 2009

by Ozmaugh
I applied to a NY civil service exam for an open position. I'm looking forward to the opportunity because jobs seem to have dried up out here. My issue is that I could not find any materials on the test that I plan to take.

The announcement is here and the tests scheduled are at the beginning of the second page, under 25-471.

From the test guides available I didn't find anything helpful. Is there anything I can realistically do to prepare for this exam?

Zoo
Oct 24, 2004

GregNorc posted:

Do contractors ever do research, or are those usually grunt programming/systems admin type roles?

If I could be doing some sort of information assurance role, while making a private sector salary, that would be pretty attractive. Something similar to the role an analyst at CERT provides would be really interesting to me.

Yeah, as psydude said, contractors are everywhere (including at CERT, assuming you mean US-CERT).

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Zoo
Oct 24, 2004

GregNorc posted:

US-CERT = DHS, I was more referring to CERT/CC which is a federaly funded research development center. They're funded by the SEI over at CMU.

Sorry, I'm so used to my part of government bureaucracy at this point that I just naturally align to the acronyms associated with organizations I work most with (one of which is DHS). But yeah, I'm sure the answer is the same, though I can speak authoritatively only about US-CERT. I tend to hear good things about FFRDCs.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
There is like a GS-11 spot for a chaplain in Omaha for the VA? ANY TAKERS?

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
The new USAjobs is up.

ILoveYou
Apr 21, 2010

USAjobs always worries me. I feel like it constantly leaves out jobs I'd be interested in even when I specifically filter for them. Hopefully the new version is better, but aside from refining visuals I don't see much different.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
There doesn't seem to be a way to exclude job posts that are greater than 30 days.

11b1p
Feb 5, 2008

This picture is worth 20 words or something.
The new site loving sucks

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

TLG James posted:

There doesn't seem to be a way to exclude job posts that are greater than 30 days.
Click "Yes".

Only registered members can see post attachments!

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy

grover posted:

Click "Yes".

That is a saved search. Not the same as just being able to see it the old way. The old way was just a separate button to exclude these.

Also it doesn't seem to work. All the postings are now "new" so they haven't been there for more than 30 days.

"Exclude postings for jobs open longer than 30 days

Selecting this option will exclude any jobs in which the posting date is more than 30 days old. You should keep in mind that as a result, continuously open jobs that were posted more than 30 days ago will not be returned in the search results. "

TLG James fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Oct 12, 2011

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

TLG James posted:

Also it doesn't seem to work. All the postings are now "new" so they haven't been there for more than 30 days.
Well, see, there's your problem! There's a pick-list on the side to filter by posting date if you're doing a live search. Will probably be more useful 31 days from now.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

11b1p posted:

The new site loving sucks

Yeah I don't understand what they improved. And have some of the search functions been cut?

ucmallory
Jun 23, 2005
Is anyone else having the problem where when you search by state, you get results from DC? I always select our state and two others, but in the middle of my results are all kinds of postings from DC. I don't want a job in DC, damnit! I definitely liked the old site better. :(

11b1p
Feb 5, 2008

This picture is worth 20 words or something.

Gravel Gravy posted:

Yeah I don't understand what they improved. And have some of the search functions been cut?

I'm starting to figure it out but I still hate it. I had a good saved search so I could see only new stuff listed that day and within a certain mileage, but I can't get it to work now.

Midge the Jet
Sep 15, 2006

I miss the ability to sort my past application status by agency/status/date updated. Right now it is just sorted by the application date only. They said they're working to bring the functionality back, but it sucks when I'm trying to find an old position description and I have to Ctrl+F every page to find it.

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Not the other one, couldn't stand the other one. Nope nope nope. Here, enjoy this bird.

NintyFresh posted:

I miss the ability to sort my past application status by agency/status/date updated. Right now it is just sorted by the application date only. They said they're working to bring the functionality back, but it sucks when I'm trying to find an old position description and I have to Ctrl+F every page to find it.

I think it sucks that application status flushes after a few months. Considering I'm going on over two years with an active application for an agency transfer. It should flush after the normal hiring term of approximately 4.25 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slig
Mar 30, 2010
Today I got a Notice of Results on a vacancy that I was "Eligible – Application Not Referred to Selecting Official."

This notice gave a rating of 85.

What does this rating mean? Is it points out of 100, or some relative percentile position to other candidates? Is higher better or worse? Is it an agency specific scoring? (never got this for any other agencies I applied to)

I'm just trying to figure out if I should keep applying to these types of positions because if my score is nowhere near being excepted then there is no point in applying.