Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
On the subject of solid last lines, the ending of Health Officials Urging Americans To Do Something, Anything For 30 Minutes A Day gave me one of the biggest, most honest laughs I've had for a while. The rest of it's good too, but that ending line is brilliant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Get Innocuous!
Dec 6, 2011

come together
And now for some :psyduck:

Pistorius Case Takes Dramatic Turn As Altered Plane Of Reality Results In Paralympian Shooting John Lennon

I just love how The Onion can make dozens of articles out of one news story and make all of them loving hilarious.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

240 Killed In Stampede After Bucketful Of Oscars Just Dumped On Stage

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

“At one point, I turned around and saw Ron Howard, with this wild look in his eyes, strangling Lauren Bacall,” Brooks continued. “He was covered in blood and daring people to come at him. It’s an image I’ll never forget.”

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?
The Onion just posted this on Facebook

quote:

Feb. 25, 2013

Dear Readers,

On behalf of The Onion, I offer my personal apology to Quvenzhané Wallis and the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences for the tweet that was circulated last night during the Oscars. It was crude and offensive—not to mention inconsistent with The Onion’s commitment to parody and satire, however biting.

No person should be subjected to such a senseless, humorless comment masquerading as satire.

The tweet was taken down within an hour of publication. We have instituted new and tighter Twitter procedures to ensure that this kind of mistake does not occur again.

In addition, we are taking immediate steps to discipline those individuals responsible.

Miss Wallis, you are young and talented and deserve better. All of us at The Onion are deeply sorry.

Sincerely,

Steve Hannah
CEO
The Onion

What the hell was that about?

Nouvelle Vague
Feb 16, 2011

Endut! Hoch Hech!

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

The Onion just posted this on Facebook

What the hell was that about?

People don't like it when you call a 9 year old a oval office.

http://www.vulture.com/2013/02/the-onion-quvenzhane-wallis-tweet.html

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I get the joke they were trying to make but that might have gone a little too far.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

edit: beaten. But that was pretty lame.

Nouvelle Vague
Feb 16, 2011

Endut! Hoch Hech!

muscles like this? posted:

I get the joke they were trying to make but that might have gone a little too far.

Yeah, I got it too, but I think when you're going to use that word the joke needs to be perfect. And this wasn't.

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate
I thought it was hilarious. It sucks to see the Onion break the fourth wall and apologize, I don't know why everyone was so worked up about something a satire site said.

Herr Shitlord
May 2, 2008

I feel so much butter!

Nouvelle Vague posted:

Yeah, I got it too, but I think when you're going to use that word the joke needs to be perfect. And this wasn't.

What exactly was the joke? I missed the Oscars and have been hearing a lot of criticism for this joke, yet I can't even imagine the context or reasoning behind it or what event at the oscars it would be referencing back to.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The tweet was:
"Everyone else seems afraid to say it, but that Quvenzhané Wallis is kind of a oval office, right?"

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

Lovechop posted:

I thought it was hilarious. It sucks to see the Onion break the fourth wall and apologize, I don't know why everyone was so worked up about something a satire site said.
People are worked up because a 9-year-old was called the worst word in the English language.

Nouvelle Vague
Feb 16, 2011

Endut! Hoch Hech!

Saint Seafoam posted:

What exactly was the joke? I missed the Oscars and have been hearing a lot of criticism for this joke, yet I can't even imagine the context or reasoning behind it or what event at the oscars it would be referencing back to.

I thought what they were going for is that she's clearly not or we're supposed to find it ridiculous that people would say such a thing? At least, that's the reasoning I think they had.

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate

Zugzwang posted:

People are worked up because a 9-year-old was called the worst word in the English language.

I bet she's going to be really upset when she hops onto the onion dot com to check the latest biting satire and sees it. Poor bird.

Brother Jonathan
Jun 23, 2008

Nouvelle Vague posted:

I thought what they were going for is that she's clearly not or we're supposed to find it ridiculous that people would say such a thing?

Of course it was. I am reminded of Sean Lock's rant about horrible acting by children on The Big Fat Quiz of the Year.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I think it almost would have been funnier if there never was a tweet and they just issued a lengthy apology implying some crazy things over something that never happened.

"We would like to extend our sincerest apologies to miss Wallis, as well as to that poor dog. We understand that sometimes jokes go too far, and we are deeply sorry to all the people on the red carpet who had to change gowns after this regrettable incident."

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Lovechop posted:

I bet she's going to be really upset when she hops onto the onion dot com to check the latest biting satire and sees it. Poor bird.

Dude, they called a child a oval office for a joke that wasn't very good. It made people uncomfortable. That's why they are upset. Why are you being so indignant about it?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Baron von Eevl posted:

I think it almost would have been funnier if there never was a tweet and they just issued a lengthy apology implying some crazy things over something that never happened.

"We would like to extend our sincerest apologies to miss Wallis, as well as to that poor dog. We understand that sometimes jokes go too far, and we are deeply sorry to all the people on the red carpet who had to change gowns after this regrettable incident."

This would've been awesome.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?

Baron von Eevl posted:

That's exactly why I posted it in this thread. I couldn't figure out if I was being thick or they were actually apologizing. It wouldn't be the first time they've gone meta and I assumed it was like another one of those "The Onion welcomes our North Korean overlords" gags.

Brother Jonathan
Jun 23, 2008

Ariong posted:

Dude, they called a child a oval office for a joke that wasn't very good. It made people uncomfortable. That's why they are upset. Why are you being so indignant about it?

Who's getting indignant?

Baron von Eevl posted:

They do this sort of joke all the time in the corrections section.

Some recent ones:
  • Last Sunday, this paper ran a story about dream kitchens. It should have been about the cyclical nature of the homelessness problem in America. The Onion regrets the error.
  • The misspelling of the word “hibiscus” in last Sunday’s Home & Garden section was not a mistake, but rather part of a sprawling logic puzzle that has been running in our newspaper for 30 weeks. The Onion will not apologize for challenging readers’ mental dexterity.
  • We would like to apologize for stating last week that The Onion is “bigger than Jesus.” What we meant to imply is that The Onion is more important and influential than Jesus, not that our newspaper is in any way physically larger than He was. We regret any confusion.
  • Last week's food section included a recipe for meatless chili, but it turns out meat is pretty important for chili not to taste terrible. The Onion apologizes on behalf of all vegetarians.
  • Our random quote generator once again selected an excerpt from a speech given by murderous Ugandan dictator Idi Amin for last week's "Words Of Wisdom" sidebar. The Onion apologizes that this keeps happening.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
I figured the joke was to apply the unfounded hatred a lot of celebrities get to a nine year old girl. Kind of like the joke behind last night's Area Woman's Baseless Hatred Of Anne Hathaway Reciprocated. I guess the fact that The Onion apologized shows that there wasn't any joke behind it other than "HA HA WE CALLED A 9 YEAR OLD THE C-WORD!" since they never apologized for "Breaking: Shots Fired at Capitol", which was the last time something they did drew any legitimate criticism.

Edit: "The solution to last week's brainteaser contained a mistake. The correct answer is five swastikas. The Onion regrets the error."

SpiderHyphenMan has a new favorite as of 19:37 on Feb 25, 2013

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Maybe my standards are just really low, but I'm glad the apology was "sorry for what we actually did" and wasn't something along the lines of "sorry if you were offended."

Rubies
Dec 30, 2005

Live Forever
Die Every Day

:h: :s: :d: :c:
I don't think that tweet was very well thought out and it was definitely a mistake, but I'm just really surprised they didn't just tweet something like "adults surprised that society frowns on insulting childen" (except something actually funny) afterwards. I've been reading the onion for like a decade and a half and it was really jarring to see something on their newsfeed in the form of a completely serious apology with an actual staff member's name attached. Totally unexpected.

But it was stupid and warranted an apology, they satirically write about annoying celebrities and politicians dying violent deaths etc all the time, but calling a kid a really venomous word with no reason or punchline isn't clever and therefore not something they should have done.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
"The debut of the new column "Phyllisophically Speaking" did not contain any philosophy, nor was it penned by someone named Phyllis. The Onion regrets the error."

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I didn't find the tweet funny but just seems kind of odd that they apologized over that when they have stuff like a photoshopped Google homepage about 9/11 and a "top ten cutest child soldiers" slide show.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Brother Jonathan posted:

Who's getting indignant?

It seemed as though he thought the fact that this joke was pulled was the most ridiculous thing in the world. I didn't see what the big deal was. In retrospect, I may not know what words are, or what meaning they have when put next to each other.

Johnny Depp Now Completely Made Of Scarves And Bracelets

quote:

Red Carpet Extended 12.5 miles, giving fans more chances to see exhausted stars

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
How many actual apologies have they issued? This is the first one I've seen that wasn't part of their joke corrections section. I read that on Facebook this morning waiting for the gag, and then it was like "Oh. They're legitimately sorry for something. For what?" and I had to look elsewhere to find it.

Nobody's perfect, I suppose, but I'm surprised that tweet even got the green light. I have the feeling just about everything they do is controlled quite tightly. The joke just seemed kinda low. Like, if they were going for "projecting the hatred that older celebs get on a 9-year-old kid" there were probably better ways to do it.

Anyway, I understand that fearlessness is important in the kind of satire The Onion produces, but I think apologizing was the right thing to do in this circumstance.

Maxwells Demon
Jan 15, 2007

I found the tweet funny but I can see how people could get offended by it.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Volume posted:

I didn't find the tweet funny but just seems kind of odd that they apologized over that when they have stuff like a photoshopped Google homepage about 9/11 and a "top ten cutest child soldiers" slide show.

The child soldiers thing though is the kind of thing where point being made is strong enough to hold up the fact that its offensive.

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate

Ariong posted:

It seemed as though he thought the fact that this joke was pulled was the most ridiculous thing in the world.

Nah, I just thought it was a funny joke and I didn't get the outrage. Let's be honest though, kids are pretty cunty. When I was eight I broke my friend's collar bone by jumping on him, and then farted in his face. Great times.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

Echo Chamber posted:

Maybe my standards are just really low, but I'm glad the apology was "sorry for what we actually did" and wasn't something along the lines of "sorry if you were offended."

Your standards are low because that's pretty much how everyone influential apologizes these days. "I'm sorry if you were offended by my actions" isn't an apology, it's a cop-out designed to shift the blame.

I thought the joke was dumb, and I'm glad they apologized.

This video, however, was hilarious and pretty much sums up the GOP's problem:

Republicans Reach Out To Women With New 'No Punch Pretty Lady' Bill

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

http://www.theonion.com/articles/battle-axes,31432/

JoltSpree
Jul 19, 2012

PYF The Onion Tweet Controversy

Eb
May 6, 2003
It's very jarring to see The Onion apologize for a joke (which I found funny, though not necessarily "deep"), but they need income from ads to stay afloat, so of course they have to bow down and do a politically correct apology if they get too much heat. It's sad, but that's how it works when your customers are big corporations.

In other news, Pope Accepts Senior Analyst Position At Catholic Think Tank.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Eb posted:

It's very jarring to see The Onion apologize for a joke (which I found funny, though not necessarily "deep"), but they need income from ads to stay afloat, so of course they have to bow down and do a politically correct apology if they get too much heat. It's sad, but that's how it works when your customers are big corporations.

In other news, Pope Accepts Senior Analyst Position At Catholic Think Tank.
Bullshit, The Onion had advertisers during the Congressional Hostage Crisis controversy, and that involved the loving police. They didn't apologize then. This was genuine.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Eb posted:

Or maybe they genuinely thought it was unacceptable? The Onion manages to have a pretty progressive bent despite their biting, moribund satire and it's not at all a stretch to imagine that they would find calling a 9 year-old girl a oval office to be wrong.

Nah, there's no way that those funny joke-makers could possibly be challenging your worldview, they just must be at the beck and call of the corporate PC police! :mrapig:

Eb
May 6, 2003

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Or maybe they genuinely thought it was unacceptable? The Onion manages to have a pretty progressive bent despite their biting, moribund satire and it's not at all a stretch to imagine that they would find calling a 9 year-old girl a oval office to be wrong.
They may have a policy about not making jokes about kids or whatever, but the over the top apology was made to nip the brewing fallout in the bud. The joke didn't hurt anyone, everyone knew it was satire, and the girl shouldn't be any worse for wear. I prefer silliness like that over the endless articles harping on about gun control, not because I disagree with the message but because they are more activism than funniness.

Moving on, I still chuckle over this headline/picture (and the related comments on Literally Unbelievable):
Michelle Obama Not So Keen On President's New Bangs

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Nah, there's no way that those funny joke-makers could possibly be challenging your worldview, they just must be at the beck and call of the corporate PC police! :mrapig:

Seriously, maybe The Onion's head dudes read that, read the responses they were getting, and went 'ok, maybe just calling a child a oval office wasn't cool, we should not do that, in the future'. It's not like it was the stinger in some long article or whatever that was designed to shock you, it was just a random tweet calling a 9 year old a oval office, that's a pretty reasonable thing to go 'woops, yea, sorry' about.

I just don't see the whole PC police aspect happening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

The Onion is certainly no stranger to controversy (see Jewish Texans Commemorate Holocaust... Texas-Style! if you aren't convinced by now). I almost think the issue with the tweet was that it fell completely flat: everyone was getting pissed, and no one was laughing. That's a significantly more sincere apology than I would expect from almost anyone these days, so I'm satisfied.

(For what it's worth, the Texas Jews article is the only one that's ever made me uncomfortable.)