Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

wormil posted:

Lingcod are voracious. I don't know how many times one swallowed another fish I had on the line.

Hitchhikers are the best. Oh look I got a little fish right over a pinnacle.... BAM!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

LingcodKilla posted:

Hitchhikers are the best. Oh look I got a little fish right over a pinnacle.... BAM!
Am I a terrible person for having purposefully played a tiny one for a bit, rather than re-bait my hook? It works sometimes! :)

Suspect Bucket posted:

Working at summer camp, teaching kids 6-12 to pond-fish off a dock with bamboo poles. It started with saftey, aka "I know these look like fun play sword but if I catch any of you swinging these around like an idiot you are in time-out and never fishing again" and "hooks are super sharp and hard to remove and I hate going to the hospital for any reason don't be dumb here is how you respect and use them".

Catching a few bluegill and one catfish on bread and hot dogs. Some of the more advanced kids are starting to bring their own poles in, and I have them work around the perimeter of the pond, practice casting, and avoiding weeds and snags. I'm starting to teach everyone basic knots and how to bait your own hook as well. My favorite is this one really neurotic 6 year old, seriously has issues about bugs and birds and chickens (problem, as this is Farm Camp), terrified of everything. Loves fishing though, not afraid at all to touch the fish (if i'm holding it) or bait her own hook.

Pond fishing rocks. Everyone's having a great time.
I really, really hope you're using barbless. Sounds like a blast, though! :)

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

You got two fates as a tiny rockfish. You either get sent back down as bait for a big red or lingcod or you disappear and my ceviche Tupperware gets full.

Because gently caress seagulls.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

extra stout posted:

That sounds pretty great. Now you just have to step their gill game up, get them on berkley maggots, and teach them how to hit a bluegill on the head and fillet it.

It's a farm. We have the real wriggling thing, which I am constantly fighting with gravel and DE it the feed areas. loving flieeessss.

coyo7e posted:

I really, really hope you're using barbless. Sounds like a blast, though! :)

Unbarbed and re-sharpened them all myself.

I picked up some tiny marabou jigs at my favorite tackle shop for like, a quarter each, the kids can get a little more active with their fishing now that I can trust some of them not to fling the poles around like idiots.

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING

bunnielab posted:

Hiked an fished the C&O canal for like 9 hours today.

Where? I moved to Frederick and wouldn't mind knowing some spots or having someone to fish with.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Planet X posted:

Where? I moved to Frederick and wouldn't mind knowing some spots or having someone to fish with.

I did Swain's lock to Violets lock, like mile 16 to 22.

In any case, I would love someone to fish with, none of my friends fish and the old guys I kayak fish with sometimes are all super saltwater obsessed right now. There are a ton of great places up by you I would love to check out. Shoot me an email at my username at gmail and we can figure something out.

JRay88
Jan 4, 2013
Can anyone here give me some good recommendations for a cheap(ish) saltwater rod/reel? I'm headed to the beach for a week next month and wanted to do a little fishing while I was there. Beach fishing only, no deep water or anything like that. I prefer a spinning reel. Prefer to keep it ~$100 or so for the rod and reel. Also gonna need some help with tackle. It's Gulf Shores. Thanks in advance

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

JRay88 posted:

Can anyone here give me some good recommendations for a cheap(ish) saltwater rod/reel? I'm headed to the beach for a week next month and wanted to do a little fishing while I was there. Beach fishing only, no deep water or anything like that. I prefer a spinning reel. Prefer to keep it ~$100 or so for the rod and reel. Also gonna need some help with tackle. It's Gulf Shores. Thanks in advance

Go to walmart and look for a combo in the 7ft range branded by UglyStick. It's only like $60 but its a pretty good starter pole and reel. Actually the pole is much nicer but the reel is serviceable. It's just barely big enough to qualify as a beach pole but you can wade out a bit to give it more reach before casting.

Standard pyramid weights 3-4 ounce and 2 sized circle hooks with a two hook setup and some squid will probably be fine. Keep it cheap and dont expect too much. (I had terrible luck in the gulf shores areas from Feb to June)

You may even catch something!

JRay88
Jan 4, 2013
Cool! I've been eyeing the ugly stick combo at my local Bass Pro. What line should I go for? Leader? I'm not expecting huge fish, just to have fun and drown some bait.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

JRay88 posted:

Cool! I've been eyeing the ugly stick combo at my local Bass Pro. What line should I go for? Leader? I'm not expecting huge fish, just to have fun and drown some bait.

Throw a full reel of mono 20lb should be fine. If you hate money but just got to be sure toss on some 30lb braid.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

LingcodKilla posted:

Throw a full reel of mono 20lb should be fine. If you hate money but just got to be sure toss on some 30lb braid.

If you are fishing from a pier or something, 14 or 16 should be fine. 20 is ok, but 30 is straight up overkill unless you are on a boat.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

swickles posted:

If you are fishing from a pier or something, 14 or 16 should be fine. 20 is ok, but 30 is straight up overkill unless you are on a boat.

He said surf. 20lb is on the heavy side yeah. 30lb braid is like 10lb mono in dimension and castability.

Honestly I only saw newbies catch random junk fish in the surf like Rays and cats. Small sharks and a really really lucky redfish or sea trout is a possibility. Pulling even a small Ray out of the surf can wreck lighter line.

Crab Dad fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Jul 7, 2015

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

JRay88 posted:

I got a Cabela's "Saltwater Striker" spinning reel last year for like 40 bucks. It's big enoug and burly enough that I'm happy, and after half-rear end rinses it still looks like new a year later - which is good in my book lol

swickles posted:

30 lb braid won't rot from sun and nicks, and is smaller than 20 lb mono. If you're serious about using the rig often in salt, just get braid and learn to work with it.

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Jul 7, 2015

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Even 20 lb braid is overkill on a beach unless there are obstructions, but it's easier to handle and ties more forgiving knots than lighter braid.

And telling someone to put 20 lb mono on a spinning reel, a cheap one at that, should be a bannable offense in my opinion. Stren or similar 10-12 pound mono will do.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

tesilential posted:

Even 20 lb braid is overkill on a beach unless there are obstructions, but it's easier to handle and ties more forgiving knots than lighter braid.

And telling someone to put 20 lb mono on a spinning reel, a cheap one at that, should be a bannable offense in my opinion. Stren or similar 10-12 pound mono will do.

It's a larger reel. It's in fact rated for up to 25lb mono. As for the 20lb braid might actually be too fine. I'm using 12lb on my ultralight and yeah that poo poo is kinda annoying to tie. My buddy had 30lb braid on that exact pole it worked plenty fine. (I'd use the braid but mono is cheap).

Just being you should be a bannable offense because you stink of old mullet.

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Lo

LingcodKilla posted:

It's a larger reel. It's in fact rated for up to 25lb mono. As for the 20lb braid might actually be too fine. I'm using 12lb on my ultralight and yeah that poo poo is kinda annoying to tie. My buddy had 30lb braid on that exact pole it worked plenty fine. (I'd use the braid but mono is cheap).

Just being you should be a bannable offense because you stink of old mullet.

Lol! I was gonna add a just kidding spoiler but was too lazy to do it on my phone.

In all seriousness, yes the reel will take 20lb mono, but it coils (memory) horribly and casts atrociously.

I use 10 lb braid on my big snook and redfish rod that's rated up to 20lb. Pulled some slobs out of the mangroves on that with 25 lb fluoro leader. Remember braid breaks at like double its rating so you can go much lighter than you think. I secure a little backing to the spoil with a standard arbor, then join backing to braid with a uni to uni. The red Phillips is a great (and cast able) braid to leader knot, I've tried many. Finally canoe mans loop for terminal tackle. I have done knot strength contests with their competition and these are the pound for pound best. All easy to tie and reliable.

I need to post some pics, went Tarpon fishing :D

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

tesilential posted:

Lo

Lol! I was gonna add a just kidding spoiler but was too lazy to do it on my phone.

In all seriousness, yes the reel will take 20lb mono, but it coils (memory) horribly and casts atrociously.

I use 10 lb braid on my big snook and redfish rod that's rated up to 20lb. Pulled some slobs out of the mangroves on that with 25 lb fluoro leader. Remember braid breaks at like double its rating so you can go much lighter than you think. I secure a little backing to the spoil with a standard arbor, then join backing to braid with a uni to uni. The red Phillips is a great (and cast able) braid to leader knot, I've tried many. Finally canoe mans loop for terminal tackle. I have done knot strength contests with their competition and these are the pound for pound best. All easy to tie and reliable.

I need to post some pics, went Tarpon fishing :D

If I barely understood your third paragraph and I'm old and salty I doubt the new guy will.

(Also this smelly mullet knows way more than I do about the fishing in Floribama region)

Let me translate. "Knots good. Learn lots."

I'm going fishing with a research group tomorrow. West Coast rocky bottom fishing. I'll take pics and post tomorrow. Aint gonna be no Tarpon but perhaps a few Lingcods and a ton of Pacific Rockfish. Going out of Bodega Bay.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
Trip report on my question last week about ocean pier fishing:

We rented a couple of rigs (cheap poles with spinning reels and double-hook drop shot setups that we baited with chunks of mullet) and fished for a couple hours right around sunset.

Both girls got a few fish, primarily small croakers, but they each caught a baby shark, so were super thrilled about that.

Having spent my entire life fishing on light tackle in fresh water, fishing in surf with a stiff pole and what felt like a cannonball on the end of my line felt weird. I don't think any of us actually got a good hook set because it was almost impossible to tell when something was eating the bait.

It was still super fun, though, which is the point. Plus now my girls can tell all their friends about the time they caught a shark.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

stealie72 posted:

Trip report on my question last week about ocean pier fishing:

We rented a couple of rigs (cheap poles with spinning reels and double-hook drop shot setups that we baited with chunks of mullet) and fished for a couple hours right around sunset.

Both girls got a few fish, primarily small croakers, but they each caught a baby shark, so were super thrilled about that.

Having spent my entire life fishing on light tackle in fresh water, fishing in surf with a stiff pole and what felt like a cannonball on the end of my line felt weird. I don't think any of us actually got a good hook set because it was almost impossible to tell when something was eating the bait.

It was still super fun, though, which is the point. Plus now my girls can tell all their friends about the time they caught a shark.

In Florida you have to use circle hooks with cut bait so you dont even set a hook really. The tugging action alone is suppose to set the hook in the corner of the mouth. That was really hard to get use to.

JRay88
Jan 4, 2013
Is there a difference between braid for saltwater and braid for fresh? I've got a ton of 20lb braid that I use on my lake poles and I could just throw some of that on.

I went to my local Bass Pro yesterday and the ugly stick combo was $80. I'm gonna look online and see if I can't find a better deal than that.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

tesilential posted:

I personally use 20 lb braid, yeah. ;)

Agreed though that 20 lb mono can be a problem of its own - I have to give up sometimes due to the wind, when I'm drifting for steelhead and salmon with a 12 lb main line..!

I really like braid for drifting in rivers especially, since it tends to lie on the surface of the water a lot easier. Braid is a lot better in salt conditions (especially if you're surf and rock fishing like I am) imho however, there's not a lot of drawback to using it all the time with a 10' or whatever bumper on the front - it'll last most of your lifetime, if maintained correctly.

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Jul 8, 2015

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Hey I caught a critter!

China cod. Very popular. Hard hitting.

Canary cod. Not hard hitting. Kinda lazy.

Possibly a lost penis. Did anyone lose their penis?

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Possibly a very ill dog lost his. ;)

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
So I am going fishing in a lake that will have Golden Trout. I am terrible at fishing but try all the time. This time I was hoping to actually catch something. I have a rod and basic tackle, but what bait/lures and techniques should I use?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Knifegrab posted:

So I am going fishing in a lake that will have Golden Trout. I am terrible at fishing but try all the time. This time I was hoping to actually catch something. I have a rod and basic tackle, but what bait/lures and techniques should I use?

Are you allowed to use bait?

How much pressure is on them?

I've fished for them on a private mountain pond/creek and I found them to be no craftier than some big ol rainbows in a larger pond further down the mountain in donner pass. IE red worm on 12 bait holder hook with 2-3 split shot kept me busy till it got boring and we back down the mountain to big rainbows.

A fly fisherman will have a totally different view on the matter.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

LingcodKilla posted:

Are you allowed to use bait?

How much pressure is on them?

I've fished for them on a private mountain pond/creek and I found them to be no craftier than some big ol rainbows in a larger pond further down the mountain in donner pass. IE red worm on 12 bait holder hook with 2-3 split shot kept me busy till it got boring and we back down the mountain to big rainbows.

A fly fisherman will have a totally different view on the matter.

Could you dumb down for me what you just said. The extent of my fishing knowledge is, throw hook with something onto it in water with a bobber. Obviously I do not want to try any fancy fly fishing. As far as I know there is no pressure on them (you mean like are they overfished?) and we are allowed to use bait.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Knifegrab posted:

Could you dumb down for me what you just said. The extent of my fishing knowledge is, throw hook with something onto it in water with a bobber. Obviously I do not want to try any fancy fly fishing. As far as I know there is no pressure on them (you mean like are they overfished?) and we are allowed to use bait.

Uhm.... Just make sure your hook is small. Hook size is kinda backwards. The larger the number the smaller the hook. This website is pretty good for simple fishing. Look for the split shot rig. It's about as simple as you can get. A small hook (golden trout are pretty small) attached to your line with some splitshot pinched onto your line about 12 inches up.

http://learninghowtofish.com/fishing-equiptment/fishing-with-hooks-sinkers-bobbers-basic-rigging/

And yes thats the definition of pressure.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

LingcodKilla posted:

Uhm.... Just make sure your hook is small. Hook size is kinda backwards. The larger the number the smaller the hook. This website is pretty good for simple fishing. Look for the split shot rig. It's about as simple as you can get. A small hook (golden trout are pretty small) attached to your line with some splitshot pinched onto your line about 12 inches up.

http://learninghowtofish.com/fishing-equiptment/fishing-with-hooks-sinkers-bobbers-basic-rigging/

And yes thats the definition of pressure.

Should this set up use a bobber? Also is red worm the best kind of bait or just the simplest?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Knifegrab posted:

Should this set up use a bobber? Also is red worm the best kind of bait or just the simplest?

You don't need a bobber for that setup. Red worms are just smaller than earthworms. And yes very simple.

Try adding a bobber if nothing is happening.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

LingcodKilla posted:

You don't need a bobber for that setup. Red worms are just smaller than earthworms. And yes very simple.

Try adding a bobber if nothing is happening.

What size hook should I get and how long should the line be beneath the bobber? If I can catch little various bugs where I am are those also good to throw on as bait?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Knifegrab posted:

What size hook should I get and how long should the line be beneath the bobber? If I can catch little various bugs where I am are those also good to throw on as bait?

Size 12 baitholder should work. A foot of line would be my guess. I always check out what fish are eating by checking out their guts. The rainbows from mountains had a ton of Yellowjackets and some sort of black beetle. Goldens are a lot smaller but I'd imagine they would eat just about any bug that fell in the water.

Do you have one of those hook removers? They have very small mouths and should be treated gently. Try to handle them as little as possible and crimp the barb on your hooks after you catch a few.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

LingcodKilla posted:

Size 12 baitholder should work. A foot of line would be my guess. I always check out what fish are eating by checking out their guts. The rainbows from mountains had a ton of Yellowjackets and some sort of black beetle. Goldens are a lot smaller but I'd imagine they would eat just about any bug that fell in the water.

Do you have one of those hook removers? They have very small mouths and should be treated gently. Try to handle them as little as possible and crimp the barb on your hooks after you catch a few.

I don't but I'll try to pick one up. Why should I crimp the barbs after I've caught a few? Genuinely puzzled by that.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Knifegrab posted:

I don't but I'll try to pick one up. Why should I crimp the barbs after I've caught a few? Genuinely puzzled by that.

Easier to remove the hooks and causes less damage. Golden trout are seriously small. Pratically not worth the effort to eat unless starving. If you do catch a few appreciate that then make it easier on the little guys and squish the barb to a bump. If you are paying attention it wont make catching them that much harder.

I've seen the super simple hook removers (its just a length of plastic with a slotted bulb on either end) for like a dollar at walmart. If you do gut hook a fish you just slip the line on the slot and work it gently down its mouth to push the hook down and out. Easier said than done but worth learning.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

LingcodKilla posted:

Easier to remove the hooks and causes less damage. Golden trout are seriously small. Pratically not worth the effort to eat unless starving. If you do catch a few appreciate that then make it easier on the little guys and squish the barb to a bump. If you are paying attention it wont make catching them that much harder.

I've seen the super simple hook removers (its just a length of plastic with a slotted bulb on either end) for like a dollar at walmart. If you do gut hook a fish you just slip the line on the slot and work it gently down its mouth to push the hook down and out. Easier said than done but worth learning.

I know how to gently take hooks out of mouths, I've caught fish before but just to be sure I'll pick up a hook remover today. In terms of swivels what is the point? Just so you can easily remove and attach different hooks and such? Also if I want to use a non-live bait (in case its hard to get the right live bait) do you have any suggestions and should I use a differnet type of hook for that?

Finally, what is the best time of day to go fishing in a lake for goldens? Sorry for all the questions.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Knifegrab posted:

I know how to gently take hooks out of mouths, I've caught fish before but just to be sure I'll pick up a hook remover today. In terms of swivels what is the point? Just so you can easily remove and attach different hooks and such? Also if I want to use a non-live bait (in case its hard to get the right live bait) do you have any suggestions and should I use a differnet type of hook for that?

Finally, what is the best time of day to go fishing in a lake for goldens? Sorry for all the questions.

Swivels prevent the line from getting twisted up. It's a good thing. Not sure about non-live bait. I've heard berkely power maggots are popular? Wouldnt even have to change the hook. I've heard than dawn and dusk are the best time of day to catch trout that feed on the surface. I'm not really a trout expert.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

LingcodKilla posted:

Swivels prevent the line from getting twisted up. It's a good thing. Not sure about non-live bait. I've heard berkely power maggots are popular? Wouldnt even have to change the hook. I've heard than dawn and dusk are the best time of day to catch trout that feed on the surface. I'm not really a trout expert.

Thanks I appreciate all the insight, hopefully I nab me a trout.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
Tomorrow I am heading out on a 2 day hiking trip along the C&O canal. Last time I was there it was pissing rain and I managed to catch 9-10 bass in like 3 hours of fishing. This time I have overcast skys and like 28 hours to fish. Very excited. It has been raining a ton but the canal seem to bounce back from being silted pretty quickly.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Knifegrab posted:

I always, always carry needlenose pliers while fishing. They're great for clipping line, pulling hooks, clipping lead to size, and pinching barbs on the spot, if I don't want to keep the barb on. They also are handy if you leave too short of a tag as you're tying a knot - grab the tag with the pliers and save your teeth. ;)

Hook removers are cool but I've never got them to work consistently. When they do work, they're brilliant though.

It sounds like you're fishing a private resort or something, so you may jut call the place up and ask them what kind of rig they recommend - most likely they'll say "anything works because the fish are all tame," or they'll have what you need available right there.

Best trout bait is either nightcrawlers, or berkley power eggs. Don't gently caress with power bait, it takes days to get it out from under your nails and it melts off the treble after half an hour.

The best time to fish for any trout or salmonid is at first light, or dusk as the sun goes down. Trout like cold water so they hang out low while the sun is up, and when the temps drop the bugs begin to hatch and the fish rise up to feed. This means you spend the daytime fishing the bottom (or deep enough where the water is nice and cooold) and then move to the surface at morning and evening when predators won't be out flying around looking, and the bugs come out.

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Jul 10, 2015

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

coyo7e posted:

I always, always carry needlenose pliers while fishing. They're great for clipping line, pulling hooks, clipping lead to size, and pinching barbs on the spot, if I don't want to keep the barb on. They also are handy if you leave too short of a tag as you're tying a knot - grab the tag with the pliers and save your teeth. ;)

Hook removers are cool but I've never got them to work consistently. When they do work, they're brilliant though.

It sounds like you're fishing a private resort or something, so you may jut call the place up and ask them what kind of rig they recommend - most likely they'll say "anything works because the fish are all tame," or they'll have what you need available right there.

Best trout bait is either nightcrawlers, or berkley power eggs. Don't gently caress with power bait, it takes days to get it out from under your nails and it melts off the treble after half an hour.

The best time to fish for any trout or salmonid is at first light, or dusk as the sun goes down. Trout like cold water so they hang out low while the sun is up, and when the temps drop the bugs begin to hatch and the fish rise up to feed. This means you spend the daytime fishing the bottom (or deep enough where the water is nice and cooold) and then move to the surface at morning and evening when predators won't be out flying around looking, and the bugs come out.

Awesome thanks so much, I'm actually backpacking into golden trout wilderness, no resort style fishing for me!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

coyo7e posted:

It sounds like you're fishing a private resort or something, so you may jut call the place up and ask them what kind of rig they recommend - most likely they'll say "anything works because the fish are all tame,"

Never in all my years of rolling up with my family to random RV parks and 'resorts' and camping places with stocked ponds and lakes and rivers to fish, have I ever heard of 'Tame Fish'.

Mostly I heard "Don't kill yourself, here's the stuff we got, Wal-Mart has more. Good Luck"

Except at Tropical Palms in Old Town, they just said "Watch out for and never feed the Gators".