Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

The Narrator posted:

Hypothetical map for "regions" in a united Europe. Regions are constructed to each hold roughly 10 million people, and are drawn based on nationality and "neatness".

The borders of Brittany are pretty :psyduck: here. It's like the guy read a summary of the Chouan uprising and said "yeah, that whole area must be pretty much the same thing" and then decided that nothing has changed since.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

The Narrator posted:

Hypothetical map for "regions" in a united Europe. Regions are constructed to each hold roughly 10 million people, and are drawn based on nationality and "neatness".

"Blacklands"? Is there a giant volcano where some little dudes have to throw in a ring? (It's over by Ukraine)

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Peanut President posted:

"Blacklands"? Is there a giant volcano where some little dudes have to throw in a ring? (It's over by Ukraine)

Given Middle-Earth is analogous to Europe, you never know.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

TinTower posted:

Given Middle-Earth is analogous to Europe, you never know.

I'm guessing it's a joke on Belarus, since that's "White Russia".

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Peanut President posted:

No, it's a bad translation from Russian name of a region named after its black soil

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Baloogan posted:

Someone somewhere... WANTS to be finnish?

Not especially, but being Finno-Ugric is better than being Baltic. :colbert:

(This is what Estonians actually believe. There's even a movement to change the flag to a Nordic cross to emphasize the country's supposed Scandinavian ties.)

Ms Adequate fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Jun 2, 2013

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

(Black means that less than 1 person/sqm lives there)

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

System Metternich posted:

Do you have a super huge version of this? It looks right in most places but where I'm at it looks completely wrong. Problem is it's far too small even at 1240*826 to discern.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

System Metternich posted:

What's that long, dark stretch running north-south in eastern Kansas (assuming it's not just Kansas being Kansas)?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Smirr posted:

What's that long, dark stretch running north-south in eastern Kansas (assuming it's not just Kansas being Kansas)?

Reptilians. No people there.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

Frostwerks posted:

Do you have a super huge version of this? It looks right in most places but where I'm at it looks completely wrong. Problem is it's far too small even at 1240*826 to discern.

Sorry, this is all I have. The original data seems to come from here (there are corresponding maps of Alaska and Hawaii as well), perhaps you could just ask the creator?

Smirr posted:

The Flint Hills, perhaps?

On the same topic, I have found this massive interactive map in which every person in North America counted by the respective census bureaus is represented by one dot.

System Metternich fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Jun 2, 2013

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

The Narrator posted:

This just makes me want to play Medieval 2: Total War again.

3peat
May 6, 2010

Lycus posted:

This just makes me want to play Medieval 2: Total War again.

Let me introduce you to the much superior world of Mapgames (napgames). EU3, CK2 and soon EU4, all at you're fingertips.

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

In a similar vein as the Poland Map earlier, except for Hungary. Surprisingly no one wants to revive the Kingdom of Hungary.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

PrinceRandom posted:

In a similar vein as the Poland Map earlier, except for Hungary. Surprisingly no one wants to revive the Kingdom of Hungary.

It's gonna be so weird if Hungarian revanchism of all things starts WW3.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

PrinceRandom posted:

I like that there were some people who apparently thought that a Hungarian exclave in Transylvania would be better then having it connected to the rest of Hungary.

e; but I guess that's alternatehistory.com for you.

Kainser fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Jun 2, 2013

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Kainser posted:

I like that there were some people who apparently thought that a Hungarian exclave in Transylvania would be better then having it connected to the rest of Hungary.

Well, that's what happens when you have a cultural exclave, but don't want to force the people between the two regions to join up. I guess you might be able to make some kind of snakey strip that connected the two without getting too many Romanians, but I'm not sure how well Romania would take it.

Not exactly the easiest thing to solve in a way that won't piss anyone off. The real life solution was obviously just to make sure Hungary was the only one that was pissed off, so everyone else could make sure they didn't get any good ideas.

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

Kainser posted:

Actually, I think this survey was only conducted on Deviantart not Althist.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Well, that's what happens when you have a cultural exclave, but don't want to force the people between the two regions to join up. I guess you might be able to make some kind of snakey strip that connected the two without getting too many Romanians, but I'm not sure how well Romania would take it.

Not exactly the easiest thing to solve in a way that won't piss anyone off. The real life solution was obviously just to make sure Hungary was the only one that was pissed off, so everyone else could make sure they didn't get any good ideas.
I think it's more a case of territorial settlements are naturally going to favor winners. Romania was an Ally, Hungary was a Central Power, so Romania got the better deal.

Numerical Anxiety
Sep 2, 2011

Hello.

PrinceRandom posted:

Actually, in Hungary, this map is on bumper stickers all over the place. No one really expects it, but their not-insubstantial far right likes to dream and dream openly.

ptk
Oct 4, 2006

The history of this map is one of the hidden gems of Wikipedia. I hope one day someone will bludgeon it into an animated GIF.
https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=File:Somalia_map_states_regions_districts.png&offset=&limit=500#filehistory

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Yeah, I'm aware of the realities, I just find it funny that there are people that think that giving Hungary the Szeklerland as an exclave would have been the optimal solution when it seems like something that would piss off both Hungary and Romania while solving very little.

Anyway, all the lands of the Glorious Crown of St. Stephen obviously belongs to Hungary. :colbert:

Kainser fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Jun 3, 2013

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Lycus posted:

I think it's more a case of territorial settlements are naturally going to favor winners. Romania was an Ally, Hungary was a Central Power, so Romania got the better deal.
Of course, but there are still degrees to which you dismember the loser. By handing over pretty heavily Hungarian territory to all the neighbors, you ensure that everyone around them have an interest in preventing Hungary from ever rising again. It did give France the Little Entente, even if it didn't end up doing much good in the end.

Kainser posted:

Yeah, I'm aware of the realities, I just find it funny that there are people that think that giving Hungary the Szeklerland as an exclave would have been the optimal solution when it seems like something that would piss off both Hungary and Romania while solving very little.
Maybe there would have been more support for a smaller strip of land? Considering some of the membership of the site, respecting cultural borders is probably the best you're gonna do, even if the solutions they then come up with are pretty idealistic. You would have to be a pretty talented statesman to solve the problem of a sizable minority residing smack in the middle of another country though, in a way that was tolerable to both Hungarians and Romanians.

Kainser posted:

Anyway, all the lands of the Glorious Crown of St. Stephen obviously belongs to Hungary. :colbert:
Matthias Corvinus' territories or bust.

Mu Cow
Oct 26, 2003

ptk posted:

The history of this map is one of the hidden gems of Wikipedia. I hope one day someone will bludgeon it into an animated GIF.
https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=File:Somalia_map_states_regions_districts.png&offset=&limit=500#filehistory

I'm happy to know there are other people out there that follow the progression of this map.

Edit: Since we're sharing US population maps. Here's a map I made of the 5% of the population living in the most densely populated counties.

I thought about doing a similar map for the 5% living in the most sparsely populated counties, but I gave up on that when I realized in would be 1,186 counties and cover 63% of the US. Doing a 1% map isn't much better. It would still be 455 counties covering 42% of the US.

Mu Cow fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Jun 3, 2013

3peat
May 6, 2010

EU economic growth for the first trimester

Austerity going real well for Portugal

Numerical Anxiety posted:

Actually, in Hungary, this map is on bumper stickers all over the place. No one really expects it, but their not-insubstantial far right likes to dream and dream openly.

As a romanian, I find their dreams of getting back Erdely and their mental breakdown at hearing the word Trianon hilarious.

Old James
Nov 20, 2003

Wait a sec. I don't know an Old James!

Smirr posted:

Looks to be about where Tallgrass Pariarie National Preserve is located.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

The Narrator posted:

I'm not sure how well Turks will take Istanbul becoming a part of the United Europe and Cyprus joining Greece in the UE. I guess the Asia Minor parts of Turkey just become an independent country in Asia. Also I thought Azerbaijan and Armenia were considered Europe?

3peat posted:

I like the little Austrian island in a sea of nations hurt by austerity.

E: Oh wait didn't see Slovakia there. My island is ruined! Quick Slovakia, tank your economy!

burnishedfume fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Jun 5, 2013

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

3peat posted:

Huh, weird, why isn't Greece among the countries with numbers?

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
They don't list Ireland either.

3peat
May 6, 2010

YF-23 posted:

We're all trying to forget that mess ever existed. Or more likely, romanian journalism being poo poo.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

YF-23 posted:

The numbers were cut.

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...
It's a slideshow, but these are all really cool. I haven't seen most in this thread yet: http://www.businessinsider.com/22-m...he-ohio-river-1

edit: I'd love to see the "long sandwich" map before Subway was a thing.

edit2: "What do you call it when rain falls while the sun is shining? The devil is beating his wife." What the hell? I have NEVER heard this.

joshtothemaxx fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Jun 6, 2013

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

Alright, I got permission from this maps author to post this because I quite like him and think this is a rather humorous take on OTL.

texaholic
Sep 16, 2007

Well it's floodin' down in Texas
All of the telephone lines are down

http://www.businessinsider.com/22-maps-that-show-the-deepest-linguistic-conflicts-in-america-2013-6?op=1

These aren't exactly politically loaded but I though ya'll would enjoy them.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

My dad was born in Oregon but raised in Louisiana and a lot of the south (and his dad's from Missouri) so we say both crawfish and crawdads.

e: a better soft drink map:

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Apparently the term "soda" followed the Illinois River upstream through Illinois. Or possibly I-55.

withak fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Jun 6, 2013

De Nomolos
Jan 17, 2007

TV rots your brain like it's crack cocaine
The "pop" line is funny. My wife's family in southern WV all says pop despite being much more southern in the rest of their speech.

Also weird that "Coke" spills over some into New Mexico. I always just thought of the "Coke" thing as being in the Deep South (partly b/c Coke is from Atlanta).

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

PrinceRandom posted:

Alright, I got permission from this maps author to post this because I quite like him and think this is a rather humorous take on OTL.

This is pretty entertaining, albeit hard to read in some places. I quite enjoyed "Sort of a fun-sized communist Russia" for Belarus. But what's with "24. Turned back into a dictatorship while Europe wasn't paying attention" for Hungary? Although a quick bit of wiki-ing revealed they removed "Republic of" from the country's name at the start of 2012 :psyduck: why would a modern democratic country even want to do that?

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

The Narrator posted:

This is pretty entertaining, albeit hard to read in some places. I quite enjoyed "Sort of a fun-sized communist Russia" for Belarus. But what's with "24. Turned back into a dictatorship while Europe wasn't paying attention" for Hungary? Although a quick bit of wiki-ing revealed they removed "Republic of" from the country's name at the start of 2012 :psyduck: why would a modern democratic country even want to do that?

They've been ruled by a nationalist rightest party for quite a while now. They recently enacted a new constitution that is... controversial.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Constitution_of_Hungary

Edit: I think that joke someone made about Hungarian Revanchism being a flashpoint for Europe is kind of a fear( maybe not to the extent of war, but Hungary has wanted their "ethnic lands" back for a while, and Romania is becoming a mid-size power in Europe).

PrinceRandom fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Jun 6, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Frigate
Apr 30, 2007

you cant have it, you dont have nuff teef to chew it
The source for those maps: http://spark-1590165977.us-west-2.elb.amazonaws.com/jkatz/SurveyMaps/