Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

happyalloy
Mar 18, 2009
I have an iPhone 5s that I got through the AT&T Next plan earlier this year (in February or March iirc). However, my phone has started intermittently been dropping calls and has been "Searching" for service over the past few weeks (for times ranging from half a minute to half an hour). Today it has not had luck finding service all day (despite me following my usual home to work routine). I've done simple things like turning on and off airplane mode, and turning the phone on/off without luck. Is this something that someone in an AT&T store can help me with, or will I have to go to the Apple store? The phone works fine on Wi-Fi and does everything else just fine (except being a phone).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

happyalloy posted:

I have an iPhone 5s that I got through the AT&T Next plan earlier this year (in February or March iirc). However, my phone has started intermittently been dropping calls and has been "Searching" for service over the past few weeks (for times ranging from half a minute to half an hour). Today it has not had luck finding service all day (despite me following my usual home to work routine). I've done simple things like turning on and off airplane mode, and turning the phone on/off without luck. Is this something that someone in an AT&T store can help me with, or will I have to go to the Apple store? The phone works fine on Wi-Fi and does everything else just fine (except being a phone).
Try re-seating the SIM card. If that doesn't work, get a replacement one at AT&T and if *that* doesn't work, take it to the Apple store.

Jeff Goldblum
Dec 3, 2009

Is there a certain set of pages or maybe even a better suited thread that I'm just not seeing that goes into AT&T's home phone/online/U-Verse plans? Cox Communications seems to be hiking my prices and I'd like to find out what other people are going through.

aellisr
Oct 11, 2007

Alveolar fibrosis don't give a damn.
This has probably been covered, but I can't find a solid answer. If I opt for the "Next" route, at the end of the 12 or 18 months of leasing the phone, is it possible to trade said phone in, then opt for a phone with the 2 year renewal subsidized price? My current 2 year renewal is in February, but was going to add someone to my account and change to the mobile share plan for a much better price per month.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

aellisr posted:

This has probably been covered, but I can't find a solid answer. If I opt for the "Next" route, at the end of the 12 or 18 months of leasing the phone, is it possible to trade said phone in, then opt for a phone with the 2 year renewal subsidized price? My current 2 year renewal is in February, but was going to add someone to my account and change to the mobile share plan for a much better price per month.

I'm actually not sure, though in theory you would think its OK to.

I would mention if you are going to the 10GB you absolutely would not want to do a 2 year contract anyway, when you sign a contract on the newer plans it raises your plan to $40 for that line. On the lower data plans it depends.

Oh, FYI if anyone here does go phone, they are starting to give $5 off a month for auto bill pay, so the $60 a month plan for call, text and 2.5GB of data (which does allow tethering) can be $55 with AutoPay.

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

Likes to argue. Wins arguments with ignorant people. Not usually against educated people, just ignorant posters. Bing it.
So my (and my parents) house is awash in Nokia QI wireless chargers (like 10 + car), but if I understand correctly AT&T is done with the QI standard since they removed it from the 1520? This puts us in an odd position because we have all windows phones with QI charging and we love it. Everyone has an upgrade available but any tempted by the 1520 don't want to use it because then they lose QI charging. Does anyone know if that road is basically permanently blocked off, or was the 1520 PMA just a trial thing?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Duckman2008 posted:

I would mention if you are going to the 10GB you absolutely would not want to do a 2 year contract anyway, when you sign a contract on the newer plans it raises your plan to $40 for that line. On the lower data plans it depends.

Oh, FYI if anyone here does go phone, they are starting to give $5 off a month for auto bill pay, so the $60 a month plan for call, text and 2.5GB of data (which does allow tethering) can be $55 with AutoPay.

I already have auto-pay. Can I get this discount?

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

OldPueblo posted:

So my (and my parents) house is awash in Nokia QI wireless chargers (like 10 + car), but if I understand correctly AT&T is done with the QI standard since they removed it from the 1520? This puts us in an odd position because we have all windows phones with QI charging and we love it. Everyone has an upgrade available but any tempted by the 1520 don't want to use it because then they lose QI charging. Does anyone know if that road is basically permanently blocked off, or was the 1520 PMA just a trial thing?

It would be really expensive but you could buy some 1520.3's and call it a day. ~$490 each. I just got mine delivered today from Newegg. 32gigs, unlocked and Qi. Works for me.

Fake edit: Would be cheaper to buy some Powermat chargers and cases and call it a day. I hate this fight :(

aellisr
Oct 11, 2007

Alveolar fibrosis don't give a damn.

Duckman2008 posted:

Thanks for the feedback, I assumed the same. It is just weird to me to not be able to resale my phone every 2 years to cover the cost of upgrade. Which, I suppose for those of us that do enjoy the shiniest and newest things the Next route does make some sense.

Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

"It's not the size of the tower. It's the motion of the airwaves."
Lipstick Apathy

aellisr posted:

I have definitely seen documentation on our systems that supports this. However, I saw this around when NEXT started. So policy may have changed since then.

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.
Oh crap, I switched to the 10gb family share plan a while back, how can I tell if mine has upgrades? That sucks

Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Rubiks Pubes posted:

Oh crap, I switched to the 10gb family share plan a while back, how can I tell if mine has upgrades? That sucks

PM me your cell number. I'll check.

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004
Think for Yourself, Question Authority.
So I have a 4 line plan with ATT. 2 iPhones and 2 dumb phones; One iPhone is on a 5gb plan and the other is unlimited. In the past 18 months the iPhones have averaged 2-3gb total per month.

I can save $250 a year if I switch to this new 10gb shared unlimited text unlimited minutes plan which would also give the iPhones tethering. Is there any reason not to switch?

Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

dutchbstrd posted:

So I have a 4 line plan with ATT. 2 iPhones and 2 dumb phones; One iPhone is on a 5gb plan and the other is unlimited. In the past 18 months the iPhones have averaged 2-3gb total per month.

I can save $250 a year if I switch to this new 10gb shared unlimited text unlimited minutes plan which would also give the iPhones tethering. Is there any reason not to switch?

Next time you upgrade, you basically are forced into AT&T NEXT.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Beefstorm posted:

Which, for iPhones on a 10 GB plan, is cheaper than a subsidized phone.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

dutchbstrd posted:

Ugh I need to know of you have a work discount to give a real breakdown. Please respond with that info

Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
I have started doing bill analysis again everyone. If anyone is interested in those, go ahead over to sa mart to get the details.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3656854

Beefstorm fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Aug 11, 2014

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004

Duckman2008 posted:

Ugh I need to know of you have a work discount to give a real breakdown. Please respond with that info

Hey yeah I have something like a 19% work discount.

Thanks!

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Beefstorm posted:

Really? That sucks.

I've got 2 AT&T iPhone lines, one with unlimited data and one with the minimum data (200MB?) sharing 550 minutes and the unlimited one has 200 texts. We never get anywhere close to using the minutes or data or texts. The low data line has no text allowance, which is fine because gently caress green bubble people. I have a 24% corporate discount.

We alternate upgrades every year so we always have the latest iPhone and the next-latest iPhone, then sell the oldest one on craigslist. It's been working fine, but I'd be happy to give up unlimited data to save some money (and get tethering without having to jailbreak) but from what I can tell "NEXT" plans are going to cost me more and give me less.

I also have a work iphone on verizon that's paid for by my company. If AT&T is going to be a "NEXT" bitch I might just port my number to my work phone and move my wife's line to Verizon too. Having voice + data at the same time isn't worth getting hosed. Then again I'm sure Verizon will gently caress me in a new and exciting way. I wonder how Tmobile's coverage has improved around Boston...

Beefstorm posted:

I have started doing bill analysis again everyone. If anyone is interested in those, go ahead over to sa mart to get the details.
I'm not sure I need this but, link? You're not on the first page or two. Your post history doesn't help either.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

dutchbstrd posted:

OK, bill breakdown:

Current:
$70 for 700 mins, $30 for texting, $30 for unlimited, $50 for 5GB. Discount is 19% so $150 * .19 = $28.5 off. $180 - $28.5 = $151.50+tax

10GB plan:
$100 for call/text/data, $15 a line (so $30). Discount is off of the $100, so $19 off s month. Base plan is $130-$19 = $111.

Buying phones:
On the 10GB you have to buy phones outright (ATT Next if new in box in store), so let's just assume you get two new iPhones 16GB. So that's $27 a month each. $27 + $27 + $111 = $165. After 24 months the $27 each does fall off until you next get a phone.

On the old plan you would have paid $200 up front, plus upgrade fee of $40, so $240 a phone. If you average $240 over the same 24 months, it ends up being $10 a month each. $10 + $10 + $151 = $171.

So basically, they are very very close for you price wise. You would get official tethering, the cost of the phones are separated from the plan so if you have the phones more than two years the phone pricing (ATT Next) drops down and goes off. Any phones you get cheaper elsewhere if desired would also just give you a lower price.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Edit: so as people can see: one plan breaks down where the plans can be better, one doesn't. End of day, being forced to buy a phone outright is not always bad, for all carriers what you should just be asking yourself is "for phone + plan what is the better price/features for me?"

randyest posted:

Really? That sucks.

I've got 2 AT&T iPhone lines, one with unlimited data and one with the minimum data (200MB?) sharing 550 minutes and the unlimited one has 200 texts. We never get anywhere close to using the minutes or data or texts. The low data line has no text allowance, which is fine because gently caress green bubble people. I have a 24% corporate discount.

We alternate upgrades every year so we always have the latest iPhone and the next-latest iPhone, then sell the oldest one on craigslist. It's been working fine, but I'd be happy to give up unlimited data to save some money (and get tethering without having to jailbreak) but from what I can tell "NEXT" plans are going to cost me more and give me less.

I also have a work iphone on verizon that's paid for by my company. If AT&T is going to be a "NEXT" bitch I might just port my number to my work phone and move my wife's line to Verizon too. Having voice + data at the same time isn't worth getting hosed. Then again I'm sure Verizon will gently caress me in a new and exciting way. I wonder how Tmobile's coverage has improved around Boston...

I'm not sure I need this but, link? You're not on the first page or two. Your post history doesn't help either.

Well, you bill breakdown will not be as happy in terms of Next.

$60 for 550 mins + $5 texting + $30 + $15 = $95 a month. The only thing close to that on ATT is the 2GB ATT mobile share plan for $90 for two lines, but you then buy the phone outright. 1GB shared is $65 but I am guessing you use at least 1GB on your current plan.

Basically, you got plans when they really allowed savings if you didn't use texting or data, so unless you start texting or the other line starts using data, you just won't find something here cheaper than that. poo poo TMobile is what, $90 for call/text/1GB each, and you still buy the phones outright. $95 a month plus you get phone discounts is really good.

I can't fathom getting by on a 200MB data plan, but to each their own right? I just had 4 people get a 1GB shared plan because they just don't use data unless at home.

Duckman2008 fucked around with this message at 12:15 on Aug 11, 2014

Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

randyest posted:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3656854

Stutes
Oct 13, 2005

Tonight's the Night
Don't think I've seen this question asked yet - I'm currently contemplating transferring my number into a corporate responsibility plan with AT&T since (among other things) the terms of my company's agreement allow for discounted upgrades every 12 months. The only catch is that each upgrade triggers a new 2 year contract. Since I don't plan on working for my current company for the rest of my life, what happens when I leave the company and try to reclaim my phone number? Am I forced to assume the remaining contract term (or pay an ETF) when the number reverts back to a personal liability plan? Or would I be free to switch carriers/go month-to-month?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Stutes posted:

Don't think I've seen this question asked yet - I'm currently contemplating transferring my number into a corporate responsibility plan with AT&T since (among other things) the terms of my company's agreement allow for discounted upgrades every 12 months. The only catch is that each upgrade triggers a new 2 year contract. Since I don't plan on working for my current company for the rest of my life, what happens when I leave the company and try to reclaim my phone number? Am I forced to assume the remaining contract term (or pay an ETF) when the number reverts back to a personal liability plan? Or would I be free to switch carriers/go month-to-month?

Your question is what policies are there for switching back to personal if you leave the company.

The answer (as of now) is with company permission you can transfer to your name and it ATT voids any remaining contract (so you can stay or leave). So as long as the company allows it, and unless ATT changes policy, you would be good.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Hey some guy in the iPhone thread said that you can get upgrade pricing the month of your upgrade. Like if your upgrade date is 9/15 you can upgrade on 9/1 and get the full discount. Is this true?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Jose Oquendo posted:

Hey some guy in the iPhone thread said that you can get upgrade pricing the month of your upgrade. Like if your upgrade date is 9/15 you can upgrade on 9/1 and get the full discount. Is this true?

We don't know for sure yet.

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004

Duckman2008 posted:

OK, bill breakdown:

Current:
$70 for 700 mins, $30 for texting, $30 for unlimited, $50 for 5GB. Discount is 19% so $150 * .19 = $28.5 off. $180 - $28.5 = $151.50+tax

10GB plan:
$100 for call/text/data, $15 a line (so $30). Discount is off of the $100, so $19 off s month. Base plan is $130-$19 = $111.

Buying phones:
On the 10GB you have to buy phones outright (ATT Next if new in box in store), so let's just assume you get two new iPhones 16GB. So that's $27 a month each. $27 + $27 + $111 = $165. After 24 months the $27 each does fall off until you next get a phone.

On the old plan you would have paid $200 up front, plus upgrade fee of $40, so $240 a phone. If you average $240 over the same 24 months, it ends up being $10 a month each. $10 + $10 + $151 = $171.

So basically, they are very very close for you price wise. You would get official tethering, the cost of the phones are separated from the plan so if you have the phones more than two years the phone pricing (ATT Next) drops down and goes off. Any phones you get cheaper elsewhere if desired would also just give you a lower price.

Thanks. This is very helpful. I didn't realize that I would have to buy the phones outright on the new plan.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Can I port one number from a family plan to Vonage without it cancelling the rest?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Oh wow I think I broke this thread!
Can I port one number from a family plan to Vonage without it cancelling the rest?

edit: There's the original post haha. Stupid forums.

Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

CharlesM posted:

Yes you can. The rest of the lines would just remain.

Crossbar
Jun 16, 2002
Chronic Lurker
My Mom needs to get a smartphone today or tomorrow. It will be her only source of internet for a few months and is already familiar with Android. Is a Moto X still the best android phone?

Any tips on plans or anything? I've already told her she can't watch many videos and has to watch her bandwidth usage. I'm thinking 6 gigs a month of data should be okay.

Crossbar fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Aug 16, 2014

Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Crossbar posted:

My Mom needs to get a smartphone today or tomorrow. It will be her only source of internet for a few months and is already familiar with Android. Is a Moto X still the best android phone?

Any tips on plans or anything? I've already told her she can't watch many videos and has to watch her bandwidth usage. I'm thinking 6 gigs a month of data should be okay.

"Best smartphone around" is honestly up to opinion and debate. It is a good phone. The LG G3 is good as well as the Galaxy S5 and the HTC One M8. It's a matter of finding the one that fits you.

6gb is an available plan.

One phone on 6gb is $105/month.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Beefstorm posted:

"Best smartphone around" is honestly up to opinion and debate. It is a good phone. The LG G3 is good as well as the Galaxy S5 and the HTC One M8. It's a matter of finding the one that fits you.

6gb is an available plan.

One phone on 6gb is $105/month.

Moto X is quite a bit cheaper though. Just saying on the comparison.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Duckman2008 posted:

We don't know for sure yet.

Unless it changed and went away, They switched to that like 3 years ago or something. Back when I was still with AT&T. If your upgrade date is july 30, you technically were upgrade eligible July 1st.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

EbolaIvory posted:

Unless it changed and went away, They switched to that like 3 years ago or something. Back when I was still with AT&T. If your upgrade date is july 30, you technically were upgrade eligible July 1st.

Right, that changed and went away. 2 year contract dates go to the day of the contract now.

obeyasia
Sep 21, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Duckman2008 posted:

Right, that changed and went away. 2 year contract dates go to the day of the contract now.

I wouldn't be so sure. COR rep here, still able to do upgrades as of the first of the same month the contract ends. Will double check and edit this post if not.

Rubies
Dec 30, 2005

Live Forever
Die Every Day

:h: :s: :d: :c:
I posted this in a SAMart thread that my main man Beefstorm started, but that's more of a specialty thread for existing bill analysis so I thought I'd try here to get other opinions.

I'm wondering what my best option is for upgrading and/or getting a second line. I still have a crummy s3 that I want to upgrade, and I was thinking of trying out ios just for a change of pace. Is it worth it for me to do a discounted 5 or 5S? Would that automatically change my data plan?

For my business line I wouldn't need anything too expensive, just the basic talk/text/and a little data. Is there a way to add a second line that's cheaper than paying for a metro pcs line? I could go into a family plan or something if that works out.

Sorry I'm so clueless about all this, I signed up years ago and never did any upgrades or plan changes, I just swap out sim cards into phones I buy off people. Thank you in advance if you're able to help me w this stuff.

Raimondo
Apr 29, 2010
My parents are going to join my 10 GB family share plan coming from Verizon. Timing is whenever the iPhone 6 comes out. My mom wants the iPhone 6, but does anyone have any good basic phone recommendations for my dad?

Key features he wants: flip phone (because he always pocket dials even when locked), easy to figure out how to answer, and easy to figure out how to get to voice mail. Will not text, browse internet or anything. Just used to receive and make calls.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Raimondi posted:

My parents are going to join my 10 GB family share plan coming from Verizon. Timing is whenever the iPhone 6 comes out. My mom wants the iPhone 6, but does anyone have any good basic phone recommendations for my dad?

Key features he wants: flip phone (because he always pocket dials even when locked), easy to figure out how to answer, and easy to figure out how to get to voice mail. Will not text, browse internet or anything. Just used to receive and make calls.

Whatever pantech breeze is out, or samsung rugby. Pick one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Not a single fucking olive in sight
Can anyone tell me how AT&T's retarded phone unlocking policy works because they don't seem to know...

My contract is up on September 14th, I'm trying to ditch my iPhone 5 ASAP unlocked. My last month of service before my contract is up has already been billed and I have already replaced my iPhone 5 with an LG G3 that is not under contract, the phone was replaced an the IMEI doesn't match the AT&T phone that they though was under contract which cause problems with replacing my iPhone 5 with the LG G3.

According to AT&T my LG G3 is actually the phone under contract even though given to me for free by LG which is fine because I am keeping it, they say my iPhone 5 is off contract and should be able to be unlocked. Either situation is idiotic to me, but I would guess from their end it makes more sense to keep the more valuable current phone active on my account on contract?

I should be able to upgrade to an iPhone 5S on contact anyways at this point since it is less than a month for my contract to be up and my bill is current, my last bill before the contract is up has already been billed anyways and due before the contract is up.

I put in the request online and it wouldn't even take my full password because it was too long, the status just says pending.