Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
weird snake

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Had a bad day, yesterday - poor Taz must've ran into something hard yesterday evening, when he was outside while it was light. I left him for a few minutes to start sorting out tea, and when I came back out again to let him in, he seemed a little sore, as he walked in fairly slowly, instead of jogging inside. I then noticed that he had a big fur-less patch on his chest below his throat, which was very red. (Only a tiny bit of blood from one spot though, so at least it wasn't deep) He was still happy as ever though, so I let him in as per usual - however when I told him it was time to eat, although he was excited, he was totally unwilling to get up from his mat again!

Took him to the vet after-hours and although it wasn't serious as such, I'm definitely glad I took him, since he certainly seemed to be in great discomfort. (Plus, the vet said if he was of a smaller build, or if whatever he hit was slightly taller, it would've gotten his windpipe! Which quite likely would've gone much worse... Bullet dodged, there :ohdear:) He's got some painkillers now though, so at least he'll be comfortable for the next few days, while he recovers. Not sure what he hit though, so I'll have to take a look after work - I might see something low, with a little blood on it. (Since I think he must've hit the top edge/corner of something, so it couldn't have been like, a fence post or wall or something, since I'm certain it was something lower)

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Any chance he jumped up on the fence and caught his neck that way?

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

St Evan Echoes posted:

Any chance he jumped up on the fence and caught his neck that way?

Hmm, possible I guess, but I dunno I think it's fairly doubtful, for him - since he seems to be extremely worried about jumping up or down a ledge or into a car, etc. let alone over a fence. (and on one occasion that's even with a damned Kangaroo on the other side! That's the most incentive to jump a fence he'll ever have, judging from his excitement levels, that day)
Certainly a possibility, though; I'll make sure to keep an eye on those too, when I take a look after.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Spare some thoughts for the 1,000+ racing hounds and their caretakers down in South Florida this weekend. Most of them were unable to evacuate (trailering dozens of dogs down a gridlocked highway with fuel shortages is a dangerous situation) so are hunkered down (trainers, kennel workers and dogs) with generators and supplies. Stay safe pups :ohdear:

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Tell your friends we're coming for them

I hope those puppers made it through ok! :ohdear:

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

skoolmunkee posted:

I hope those puppers made it through ok! :ohdear:

Good news

Of course HSUS/Grey2K is jumping all over their decision to stay put with :byodame: HEARTLESS DOG KILLERS so the NGA issued a rebuttalnot that you can reason with folks who claim that racing greyhounds are sold to China for dog meat, but they tried)

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
Spartacus is glad to hear everyone is safe! Right boy?

Spartacus?

Oh god :froggonk:

:q:

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Is there a word for being terrifying and hilarious at the same time

Fuzz Feets
Apr 11, 2009

God I love Sparty pics. They are endlessly entertaining. Also jealous that you can apparently use a roomba without catastrophic results. We got one for Christmas one year from Tortolia's parents. It was great for the four months before we got Reese. Not only did it literally scare the poo poo out of him while we were at work, it happily smeared said poo poo throughout the house.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Fuzz Feets posted:

God I love Sparty pics. They are endlessly entertaining. Also jealous that you can apparently use a roomba without catastrophic results. We got one for Christmas one year from Tortolia's parents. It was great for the four months before we got Reese. Not only did it literally scare the poo poo out of him while we were at work, it happily smeared said poo poo throughout the house.

We have our roomba set to start about an hour or two after we leave for work, i.e. an hour or so after their last potty break. They also have a second floor to escape to, and we spent a lot of time a climatizing the dogs to it, sitting with them while it was running, giving treats while they were contemplating running away, that sort of thing.

Sparty occasionally tries to pick fights with it still, and Cookie still acts like it's going to eat her on the couch, but we haven't had problems otherwise.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
No new Sparty pics, but I did find this:

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country
https://youtu.be/fIg2sUkoCzk

Let me sing you the song of my people.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

BigDave posted:

https://youtu.be/fIg2sUkoCzk

Let me sing you the song of my people.

Oh god that's so precious :swoon:

Spartacus' reaction to that

Ennui?

Ennui.

This is about as close as he gets to rooing, though he sings the song of his people when it's dinner time and we're playing on the computer. I'll have to get a clip sometime.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GvGpng9SDPU

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

DarkHorse posted:

Oh god that's so precious :swoon:

Spartacus' reaction to that

Ennui?

Ennui.

This is about as close as he gets to rooing, though he sings the song of his people when it's dinner time and we're playing on the computer. I'll have to get a clip sometime.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GvGpng9SDPU

Thanks to this thread my YouTube recommendations are now mostly singing greyhounds.

I am OK with this.

https://youtu.be/df7u4TV75zw

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

I think I owe this thread a really big update!

So at the start of December I adopted a needleface and temporarily named her Noodle, but after working with her for a month it was clear that she had huge separation anxiety and I wasn't able to help her improve that (spent much time and money and got trainer advice). A few days after Christmas, in tears I returned her to the agency, who were totally sweet and understanding (they had been helping me work through it so it wasn't a surprise).

It was okay though because she was adopted out with her kennelmate the next day, and last I checked they were doing great.

So, when I first chose Noodle, there were 2 greys to choose from- same age, same size, same looks, same reaction to cats, same temperament overall. I just chose Noodle because she'd been just a little more into scritches. When I returned Noodle I asked if they had the other dog still, and they did! She wasn't having a good time in the kennels (she had a tail injury that wouldn't heal, and she was not very confident). I brought her home that day as a hopefully failing foster.

She settled right in, not on any of the 3 dog beds/areas I had, but on the cozy chair in the lounge. It is Her Chair now, she Loves it.

Josie (Josie-bella, Josie-jo, Jo-Jo Potato, Josiepepper) was a perfect fit, completely well behaved and fine being left alone. She was shy and it took until summer for her to gain her confidence. She still gets "go away" growly with other dogs who get up in her space for too long or who surprise her, but I think that's ok, she's just telling them not being aggressive. The neighbor's dogs are her best dogfriends and they have really really helped her come out of her shell and learn how to be a real doggo. They play run and chase and she will even play tug with the little one. They get lots of walks together and backyard playtimes.

The little one is kind of a pushover so we've also had to teach Josie about other dogs' boundaries, even though she is small she is not a toy also. The neighbors let her out at lunchtime for me and I think she loves them more than she loves me.

She is really not very smart, but she tries. This is what happens when she is digging in the vegetable box and you tell her to get out and she doesn't understand but knows you want something so she just hunkers lower and lower until flat

But she tries

She is fairly chatty and makes grumbles and sings and barks for no reason sometimes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xf7GfwOcYuM

She horfs up dry food so she has a maze feeder. She adores fruits and vegetables (and the chicken legs and just about any other food). She will chow on cucumbers, gobble up asparagus, nom mushrooms, crunch carrots and apples. Broccoli, cauliflower, zucchini, orange slices, every tuber and legume. She's liked every fruit I've given her (except gooseberry) but strawberries are her favorite (watermelon and mango close seconds). I have some strawberry plants in my garden and I never saw a single one because she would eat them off the plant before they even ripened. I had to net off my garden because she was digging up carrots and stealing cherry tomatoes. I had to pick up every cherry that fell off my tree because she wanted to eat them. For her 3rd birthday she got a hamburger.

She ate the bun, then the lettuce, then pulled the cheese off the meat and ate it, and ate the meat last.

She really loves Her Chair though.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYdsCiz8140

I have only mistakenly called or referred to her as Union like, 5 times. Maybe 6.

skoolmunkee fucked around with this message at 11:01 on Oct 12, 2017

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

skoolmunkee posted:

I think I owe this thread a really big update!

So at the start of December I adopted a needleface and temporarily named her Noodle, but after working with her for a month it was clear that she had huge separation anxiety and I wasn't able to help her improve that (spent much time and money and got trainer advice). A few days after Christmas, in tears I returned her to the agency, who were totally sweet and understanding (they had been helping me work through it so it wasn't a surprise).

It was okay though because she was adopted out with her kennelmate the next day, and last I checked they were doing great.

So, when I first chose Noodle, there were 2 greys to choose from- same age, same size, same looks, same reaction to cats, same temperament overall. I just chose Noodle because she'd been just a little more into scritches. When I returned Noodle I asked if they had the other dog still, and they did! She wasn't having a good time in the kennels (she had a tail injury that wouldn't heal, and she was not very confident). I brought her home that day as a hopefully failing foster.

She settled right in, not on any of the 3 dog beds/areas I had, but on the cozy chair in the lounge. It is Her Chair now, she Loves it.

Josie (Josie-bella, Josie-jo, Jo-Jo Potato, Josiepepper) was a perfect fit, completely well behaved and fine being left alone. She was shy and it took until summer for her to gain her confidence. She still gets "go away" growly with other dogs who get up in her space for too long or who surprise her, but I think that's ok, she's just telling them not being aggressive. The neighbor's dogs are her best dogfriends and they have really really helped her come out of her shell and learn how to be a real doggo. They play run and chase and she will even play tug with the little one. They get lots of walks together and backyard playtimes.

The little one is kind of a pushover so we've also had to teach Josie about other dogs' boundaries, even though she is small she is not a toy also. The neighbors let her out at lunchtime for me and I think she loves them more than she loves me.

She is really not very smart, but she tries. This is what happens when she is digging in the vegetable box and you tell her to get out and she doesn't understand but knows you want something so she just hunkers lower and lower until flat

But she tries

She is fairly chatty and makes grumbles and sings and barks for no reason sometimes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xf7GfwOcYuM

She horfs up dry food so she has a maze feeder. She adores fruits and vegetables (and the chicken legs and just about any other food). She will chow on cucumbers, gobble up asparagus, nom mushrooms, crunch carrots and apples. Broccoli, cauliflower, zucchini, orange slices, every tuber and legume. She's liked every fruit I've given her (except gooseberry) but strawberries are her favorite (watermelon and mango close seconds). I have some strawberry plants in my garden and I never saw a single one because she would eat them off the plant before they even ripened. I had to net off my garden because she was digging up carrots and stealing cherry tomatoes. I had to pick up every cherry that fell off my tree because she wanted to eat them. For her 3rd birthday she got a hamburger.

She ate the bun, then the lettuce, then pulled the cheese off the meat and ate it, and ate the meat last.

She really loves Her Chair though.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYdsCiz8140

I have only mistakenly called or referred to her as Union like, 5 times. Maybe 6.

Oh my god that's wonderful skoolmunkee! Josie sounds like the perfect fit, and I'm glad things worked out. She sounds a lot like Spartacus in some ways - the constant hunger, the garbage-can appetite, the weird random noises, and loving the big soft chairs and sofa :kimchi: - and I especially love the cockroaching on the chair with the silly tongue. Sparty has TMT disease too, but it's usually smushed under his face and leaving tongue prints on the floor.

Now I expect lots of pictures so I'm not the only one spamming the thread with pictures of my needle nose :colbert:

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
https://twitter.com/lonelydandruff/status/919063945721159680

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
Accurate.

My sister shared this. It makes me happy.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

DarkHorse posted:

Accurate.

My sister shared this. It makes me happy.

Aww, such a good group photo! :3: (And I love the expression the third from the left has, haha - just so excited!)

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

I appear to have adopted some kind of weird snake; please advise

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
Ok, so I've heard several people say that greyhounds have a reputation for being "aloof" - has that been any of your experience?

Because Spartacus is super affectionate; he's overjoyed when either I or my spouse come home, he worries when we leave (whines at the door, checks other doors), he follows us everywhere around the house, and he wakes us up in the middle of the night so we can cuddle on the couch.

When visitors come to the house he'll sometimes bark for a few minutes, but usually warms up and acts his normal derpy self, and sometimes takes to people right away like my dad and demands face rubbins.

Now, I will say he's a completely different animal when we go somewhere strange. He's tense and slightly anxious and doesn't really interact much, but polite and accepts pets and scritches usually.

Greyhounds I've met at events have been like this too, so are they just nervous nellies when their routine is interrupted, or are they usually like than and my dog is just weird?

Example: We went to the dog park, and my spouse took Cookie on a run while Sparty and I waited in the park. He just sort of walked around and stood, occasionally marking things, and looked at the entrance. When they finally came in though his ears went up, slicked back, and he bounded over, then had fun running around the dog park like normal.

I would not be surprised to learn Sparty is broken. He barks at strangers that come to the door and doesn't roo very much either.

Can't help it, photodump incoming

Face down butt up that's the way we like our pup!

But soft! What light through yonder doggo breaks?

Still don't know why he does this

Too Much Tongue disease

Also, pictures of Sparty's dad

http://www.bestbetjax.com/images/STAKES/JGRJ/11jgrj/lksMerrel.jpg

Sister 1
http://www2.greyhound-data.com/greyhound/2153847/627/Greyhound_LKs_Wilderness-big.jpg

Sister 2
http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?z=GCROHb&d=lk%27s+fancy&x=0&y=0

St Evan Echoes posted:

I appear to have adopted some kind of weird snake; please advise

Snek look sick; give many burgs :burger:

Congratulations on your new snake!

DarkHorse fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Oct 18, 2017

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
Tried to use a selfie stick to get close ups of my pups.

No sir, they did not like it.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

DarkHorse posted:

Ok, so I've heard several people say that greyhounds have a reputation for being "aloof" - has that been any of your experience?

The greyhounds I've met are usually a combination of stoned and scared.

"Dude, I am one with the couch."

*Loud thump*

"OH gently caress ITS THE COPS HIDE ME BRO!!"

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

wyoming posted:

Tried to use a selfie stick to get close ups of my pups.

No sir, they did not like it.

Aww, that close-up snoot photo on the right! Such a cute expression :D

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Major Isoor posted:

Aww, that close-up snoot photo on the right! Such a cute expression :D

Agreed. I think this warrants more experimentation

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

DarkHorse posted:

Snek look sick; give many burgs :burger:

Congratulations on your new snake!
Fed burgs. It did... something :stare:

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
Oh man, that dog knows he hit the jackpot if he's roachin' already. That is some serious chill right there :stare:

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Oh! So earlier someone I know mentioned a photo of Tazo I took the other week, which reminded me that I didn't post it here after I took it. (Which as we all know, is a terribly blasphemous crime) Sooo to make up for that, here it is - better late than never, right? :D The funny thing is, I actually wasn't trying to get a photo of this at all; I was just trying to get a quick front-view pic, for well, no real reason at all. Then right as I took it, he turned away and licked his nose. (Not to say I'm disappointed in the fact that the photo didn't turn out as planned, or anything - quite the opposite in fact, as I found it quite amusing! :D Just uh, very unexpected, haha)

So yeah, after taking it I shared it with the LONG Doggos page on FB as a lark, and as a result they quickly put it up on their own page...which, when I saw it again a couple of days afterwards, was at around 1000-1500 likes...absolutely smashing whatever lifetime-total amount of likes I have accumulated on FB, with one fell blowlick.

:negative: I'm not sure whether to be proud of/happy for him, or eternally disappointed that I myself could never hope to attain such lofty heights in popularity, (without even realizing it!) simply by licking my own nose, haha

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
:bisonyes:

I love Taz so much :allears:

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

DarkHorse posted:

Oh man, that dog knows he hit the jackpot if he's roachin' already. That is some serious chill right there :stare:

Diagnosis: Normal For Long Doggo (she’s actually a saluki/whippet mutt but that’s okay for this thread right guys :ohdear:)

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

DarkHorse posted:

:bisonyes:

I love Taz so much :allears:
also this, I liked that photo on FB without even recognising who it was

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

St Evan Echoes posted:

Diagnosis: Normal For Long Doggo (she’s actually a saluki/whippet mutt but that’s okay for this thread right guys :ohdear:)

:q:

Hounds r' Clownds

"I guess this is my life now."

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

That’s some pro tier chillin’ right there

Bonnie has taken to digging the poo poo out of the back cushions of our couch (hence the duvet in the pic above)

Anything to be done, or just longdog working as intended, wontfix?

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
Sparty thankfully doesn't dig on the couch, but he's taught Cookie to dig so now we have to cover the chair. Bizarrely she also bites the cushions before settling down, to tenderize them more I guess? :confused:

They both dig on their dog beds but that's fine. Basically...

St Evan Echoes posted:

longdog working as intended, wontfix

Fuzz Feets
Apr 11, 2009

Sparty that is not how blankets work!

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Uh oh, after I posted that picture the other day, Taz must've stepped on a sharp piece of stone/gravel or a broken/splintered stick or something, as he has a big ol' cut on the padding of one of his toes now. :ohdear: He's at least being smart enough to not stand and walk/run around so much at the moment (and when he does, he mostly tries keeping weight off that leg, and having it up in the air rather than walking on it) but still, it's not exactly pretty to look at - I bet it stings a fair bit, when he walks on it. (I suppose the silver lining is that it's at the most forward point of the front of the padding; so it's not like, right in the middle of his toe and being pressed into the ground with every step)

Is there anything I should be doing here, to try and make sure it doesn't get worse? I've just been trying to keep it clean and having him indoors more, at this stage.

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

You should stop in at your vets and ask the nurses for advice? They might want you to bring the dog in to see a doc but I think if you frame it as "what can I do to keep it clean/ what bad signs should I watch out for" you can manage it yourself.

Anyway keeping it clean is most important. If you have antibacterial gel/cream use it, sometimes there are soothing ingredients too. You could stop by a pharm and see if they have something like dermabond, but depending on price, or the size/shape of the wound, that might not be a good option. It doesn't sting to put on, but if it tears open it will, like a scab hurts. Also surgical glue is water soluble so it would have to remain dry.

You might want to pick up some surgical tape, if he does want to go outside on it, it can help to tape up the foot pretty good to protect the wound (pad it a little with gauze). Assuming he is a normal dog who would freak out if you tried to put a shoe on him.

skoolmunkee fucked around with this message at 10:04 on Oct 26, 2017

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
Yeah, Spartacus slashed a foot pad once, and we put Neosporin or petroleum jelly (Vaseline) on it. It helped with irritation and to heal, and we just made sure to keep the wound clean. It also prevented him from licking it too much and irritating it further.

Athletic tape and gauze is great, but he kept chewing it off. If we made it strong enough to stay on then it was a big bulbous club and he hobbled around and howled like he was being tortured. Do what you can :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal
If you decide to bandage it. You can cover the bandaged foot with a sock and a ring of masking tape to hold the sock in place. It's light enough for them to walk on and keeps them from chewing the bandage off.