Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

Three mongrel men in exchange for a party member? I found that one in the Faustian Bargain Bin.

Turtlicious posted:

... Dungeonworld for like 3...

Think of it this way, then: In Dungeonworld, one of the GM principles is "Draw maps. Leave blanks." The idea is you, as the GM of Dungeonworld, create many of the broad strokes and wait to fill them in until players get to places and, often, let them fill in many of the details using their Spout Lore and Discern Realities responses.

In FATE, you kinda weight the process in the opposite direction. You let the table draw the maps and leave blanks, and later you fill in many of the details, with the players filling in only some using their invokes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

Also, try and keep something in mind: FATE works the way you and your group feels it should.

I say this because it seems very easy with FATE (especially if your only experience with it is looking at other people talk about it online) to get a bit of tunnel-vision on certain aspects (pun intended) of the game.

Aspects are one of them (just because you could potentially represent everything via aspects doesn't mean everything has to be an Aspect, they're just one dimension of the FATE system).

The player-driven world building is another. It is a cool way to build settings collaboratively and in some games it makes for a really fun way to create a complex world that guarantees player involvement (the city creation in Dresden Files is a notable example that fits the setting very well)...but absolutely nothing breaks if you simply chuck it. If you want to go for a completely traditional "GM as tour guide" style of gaming and your group is on board with that there's no reason not to simply replace every instance of the word "group" with "The GM" or simply to skip this portion entirely.

Part of the philosophy of FATE's design is to encourage players to put want they want to do and how they want to do it "up front" and make it part of their characters and encourage the GM to engage with those elements of the characters. I.e. Players give themselves positive abilities because those abilities are how they most want to interact with the problems and challenges of the game and they give themselves negative traits because they feel those traits would be fun and entertaining to roleplay. The setting design is just that philosophy writ large across the game, encouraging players to be up front about the sort of game world they want to play around with and the sort of challenges they want to face.

However, if you're confident that you know your players well enough to give them what they want without them asking for it and your players are confident that you as a GM know what you're doing in that regard then there's no reason you can't just skip this and your players can be surprised by your ideas when they encounter them in a more organic fashion.

In short, don't get too hung up on what you feel FATE should be like, instead look at the system and try and see how you can use it to play the kind of game you and your group want to play.

Hyperactive
Mar 10, 2004

RICHARDS!

oriongates posted:

In short, don't get too hung up on what you feel FATE should be like, instead look at the system and try and see how you can use it to play the kind of game you and your group want to play.
Somewhat along these lines, Fate just kind of calls out something you've been unconsciously doing in every game you've ever played but perhaps never thought about explicitly.

Your players were always telling you about the game world, and you were always borrowing ideas from them, but it tends to happen so quickly that no one thinks about it as a direct line of communication from player(s) to GM. I mean, even party composition in a bog standard D&D game is going to tell you things, as a GM, about what will happen in your game. As a GM you're always making minor adjustments to your world and your plans for the adventure based on what the players are doing and saying in response to what you throw at them.

Fate just makes that conversation more obvious and integral to the play experience.

Phimose Knight
Mar 5, 2013
I've started running this game after a... pretty long break from a lack of group, it's pretty interesting and kinda fun, I just have a few questions for things that bug me.

Are there any guidelines for Fate Core as far as passive difficulties for common tasks go? Stuff like how big of a Physique roll you need to bash a door open (with or without appropriate tools), how much Stealth you need to sneak past a group of sentries on alert, that kind of thing.

When someone rolls to disarm an enemy by CAA, obviously that means the enemy loses the weapon and therefore can no longer use Fight, but what if said enemy is a 'boss' sort of deal and losing the weapon means all the gimmicks attached to the boss fall flat? Fiat it and say the disarm attempt just puts the boss in [Bad Footing]?

Also, Resources. I never know how to make the skill feel appropriate at all, especially when running fantasy games. :confuoot:

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Phimose Knight posted:

I've started running this game after a... pretty long break from a lack of group, it's pretty interesting and kinda fun, I just have a few questions for things that bug me.

Are there any guidelines for Fate Core as far as passive difficulties for common tasks go? Stuff like how big of a Physique roll you need to bash a door open (with or without appropriate tools), how much Stealth you need to sneak past a group of sentries on alert, that kind of thing.

When someone rolls to disarm an enemy by CAA, obviously that means the enemy loses the weapon and therefore can no longer use Fight, but what if said enemy is a 'boss' sort of deal and losing the weapon means all the gimmicks attached to the boss fall flat? Fiat it and say the disarm attempt just puts the boss in [Bad Footing]?

Also, Resources. I never know how to make the skill feel appropriate at all, especially when running fantasy games. :confuoot:

In general, most "everyday" passive resistances won't be higher than like +2. For example, keep in mind that an "average person" in the pyramid model has just one or two skills at +1, and that's as high as it goes. They might not even have a Stunt, and have to rely on their aspects to make like one task per day a little more competent. So, in order to survive from day to day, most sources of "minor adversity" are like +2 or lower. So, finding your keys that you put down someplace dumb might be a +1 task or the minor cost of running late, for example.

It gets a little murky as you ramp things up, and a lot depends on whether you want to use a sliding scale based on genre, or assume that +5 Superb task is always the same, for example. I tend to prefer the sliding scale method, in which your skill ladder is based on the "genre power level", because it reduces instances of severely inflated character stats. For example, in a campaign about real-world covert operatives a +5 skill potentially is very different from a campaign about Superheroes. A +5 Physique overcome for a covert operative maybe lets you bash down a metal door with your shoulder; a +5 Physique overcome for a superhero maybe lets you stop a moving truck with the same move. This works out pretty well for games in which players are only interacting in a "narratively meaningful" way with obstacles and antagonists that are not "beneath them". An ordinary person with a gun doesn't even register on the Conflict Radar for a super hero under this model, for example- they are, at best, a manifestation of some villain's "hired goons" Aspect that he can invoke to create distraction-related effects. Conversely, the covert operative is basically an ordinary person with a gun, and is very much concerned about not getting shot by a similar individual.

The other way to do it, without the sliding scale, is to pretty much keep track of your precedents. For a non-sliding scale based on ordinary people having a +1 apex skill, you can assume that an olympic athlete (or similar world-class expert) is going to have a +3 apex skill and at least one stunt. You can put feats on that level, requiring maximum effort in a specific area of focuesed talent from such a person, which will only succeed if they are at the absolute peak of their game, at around +7 or +8 difficulty- stuff like world record feats of athleticism, revolutionary inventions, landmark diplomatic accomplishments fall into this category, as do instances of extreme luck, such as landing in a pile of leaves in just the right position such that you survive a free-fall with a failed parachute unscathed. This works fine for settings where characters are meant to be extremely competent, maybe even supernaturally gifted, but still on a pretty human scale- the aforementioned covert ops, D&D style heroes, Star Wars type of stuff. However, I think it breaks down if you are trying to do something with people who are extremely gifted with superpowers or other things that elevate them far above what a human is capable of. You end up with people who need to start the game with a +8 Apex skill so they can melt a tank with their eye lazers or whatever, and I think it kinda upends the balance of the game because you risk having somebody with +4 Athletics trying not to die when the villain of the week with +8 shoot pops a stunt and like 3 Aspects to roll a +16 Attack at them.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
The solution to Superpowers is Permissions and levels. (These are also key to any person vs vehicle rules.)

The Flash won't be outrun by a high school track star, even on his worst day. That's because Wally has the aspect Fastest Man Alive. Unless there's another aspect on him (Perhaps a Frozen Leg or Time Distortion, he isn't really competing when he tries to outrun non-metas.

The same with Superman. You could do it as an armor class, but that would mean a very lucky thug COULD hit him and get him bleeding. That doesn't seem common to Superman stories...his Last Son of Krypton high concept means bullet damage is off the table. (Of course, a magical enemy could spend a fate point and invoke Last Son of Krypton for a +2!)

If you want to overcome an obstacle ("The Panzer is closed", "The Senator took out her hearing aid", etc) you need to either create an advantage and tag it for effect (in a contest or battle) or overcome the aspect in a way that narratively solving the problem.

So "hidden mine" could allow a person to damage the tank, or a "sternly worded email" could affect the deafened Senator. If you do something that completely obliterates the gap ("Chunk of Kryptonite", "Blown open top hatch", or if the hearing aid is forced back in), you no longer face that opposition.

The counterpoint is punching down, which is explained at length in The Day After Ragnarok and Iron Edda. To summarize: if you're shooting down a class (tank to jeep, jeep to person) if you'd normally deal stress, you deal a consequence. This lets players interact with kaiju for a little bit...before realizing it's a really, really bad idea.

Edit:
Christ, I've been answering this for three years! Evil Hat owes me lunch.

Golden Bee fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Feb 18, 2016

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

I get that some games just don't click for some folks, I'm never going to be into GURPS or care half as much about Mage the whatever as other people do and that's fine and good, but some of the replies in that thread are depressing.

"One thing I don't understand about Fate is how you can just take any aspect, so if I decide to give myself I'm Literally God then I guess I've won the game :smuggo:"

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Kai Tave posted:

I get that some games just don't click for some folks, I'm never going to be into GURPS or care half as much about Mage the whatever as other people do and that's fine and good, but some of the replies in that thread are depressing.

"One thing I don't understand about Fate is how you can just take any aspect, so if I decide to give myself I'm Literally God then I guess I've won the game :smuggo:"
I always like to think stuff like that says more about the player than the system.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Kai Tave posted:

if I decide to give myself I'm Literally God then I guess I've won the game :smuggo:"

I'd compel that aspect and make them act out all of Bruce Almighty.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice

Evil Mastermind posted:

I always like to think stuff like that says more about the player than the system.

100% true and I finally culled anyone in my gaming group that thinks that way.

Hyperactive posted:

Somewhat along these lines, Fate just kind of calls out something you've been unconsciously doing in every game you've ever played but perhaps never thought about explicitly.

Your players were always telling you about the game world, and you were always borrowing ideas from them, but it tends to happen so quickly that no one thinks about it as a direct line of communication from player(s) to GM. I mean, even party composition in a bog standard D&D game is going to tell you things, as a GM, about what will happen in your game. As a GM you're always making minor adjustments to your world and your plans for the adventure based on what the players are doing and saying in response to what you throw at them.

Fate just makes that conversation more obvious and integral to the play experience.

Exactly. Usually during character creation in any setting my players will either come to me on the side or just toss it out on the table at the beginning. "You know what would be cool? I was thinking of doing some sort of spy character, so what if there was a super secret clandestine organization that's been secretly pulling the strings of the world - for its 'benefit' - and we stumble across that?" or "Instead of the usual dungeon crawling, how about some high seas adventures? Corsairs and piracy and... something like the Dutch East India Company"

A game where the GM does ALL the worldbuilding is either a game where the players give no shits about anything beyond rolling dice or a wannabe-writer GM that needs to express "their story" in order to feel like they're contributing to the game more than just rules arbitration. Usually players are bursting with ideas. Fate just codifies the initial upfront stuff while leaving 90% of the world to the GM. There's still room for surprises.

Plus, with Fate, it's fun to mess with their expectations. So they did the world building stuff and decided on the two main adversaries, and they think they're dealing with X. There's no reason to tweak and go beyond the original and do something totally against expectations to keep a bit of mystery in it.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

God, I read too much of that RPG.net thread.

Every discussion of superhero games will eventually turn into people j/oing eachother off about the Flash.

"HE'S FAST! THAT GIVES HIM PERMISSION TO DO COOL SPEED STUFF!"
Yeah, but why doesn't he win all the time, Like I would with superspeed?
"BECAUSE THAT HAS NEVER BEEN HOW HE'S NARRATIVELY PORTRAYED!
I don't think you get how smart I am.

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

Kai Tave posted:

And the GM says no.

Aspects are player-created, that doesn't mean players can put down any Aspect they like. They are still subject to GM veto (or veto by the rest of the group for that matter). That simple.

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

Three mongrel men in exchange for a party member? I found that one in the Faustian Bargain Bin.

oriongates posted:

Kai Tave posted:

And the GM says no.

Aspects are player-created, that doesn't mean players can put down any Aspect they like. They are still subject to GM veto (or veto by the rest of the group for that matter). That simple.

Actually, both a more interesting and... educational approach might be to say, "Ok, so you want to be Literally God. What are your goals, then? What sort of challenges does Literally God face? Why are you occupying a human avatar? And what are the rules you've put in place in reality that even you won't (or can't?) break?

Show them that, even if they pick the most "powerful" thing they can think of, there's still a story to tell--just a different one.

Lynx Winters
May 1, 2003

Borderlawns: The Treehouse of Pandora

Blasphemeral posted:

Actually, both a more interesting and... educational approach might be to say, "Ok, so you want to be Literally God. What are your goals, then? What sort of challenges does Literally God face? Why are you occupying a human avatar? And what are the rules you've put in place in reality that even you won't (or can't?) break?

Show them that, even if they pick the most "powerful" thing they can think of, there's still a story to tell--just a different one.

On the other hand, you as GM don't have any obligation to Yes And someone that's clearly just being a dick.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Yeah if the premise of your game is "kinda like Deadlands, weird west with magic and poo poo" and you have one player roll up with the aspect "Fastest Gun in the West," one player roll up with "Literal Fire and Brimstone Preacher" and one player roll up with "Literally God Get Rekt Scrubs" then the GM is under no more obligation to play along with that dude than they are when putting out a call for silver age superheroes in Mutants & Masterminds or GURPS or whatever and someone makes Captain Chainsaw Cannibal. "I'm Literally God" could be a perfectly fine aspect for a certain kind of game, but if you bring that to Atomic Robo then you haven't discovered this One Weird Trick that makes Fate fall apart, you're just being a dingus.

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

Lynx Winters posted:

On the other hand, you as GM don't have any obligation to Yes And someone that's clearly just being a dick.

They may be being a dick, sure--or they might just have years of positively-reinforced gm/player antagonism that they need to realize and correct.

I guess the approach you take depends on what you know about the person. If they're your friend, you should at least try and work out where the problem lies rather than dismiss them entirely. Sure, it might turn out that FATE isn't the game for them, but I find that anyone I'm generally willing to sit down at a table next to is probably just not in the right mindset, yet, if they do something like this.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Kai Tave posted:

Yeah if the premise of your game is "kinda like Deadlands, weird west with magic and poo poo" and you have one player roll up with the aspect "Fastest Gun in the West," one player roll up with "Literal Fire and Brimstone Preacher" and one player roll up with "Literally God Get Rekt Scrubs" then the GM is under no more obligation to play along with that dude than they are when putting out a call for silver age superheroes in Mutants & Masterminds or GURPS or whatever and someone makes Captain Chainsaw Cannibal. "I'm Literally God" could be a perfectly fine aspect for a certain kind of game, but if you bring that to Atomic Robo then you haven't discovered this One Weird Trick that makes Fate fall apart, you're just being a dingus.

Uh, Literally God would be amazing in Atomic Robo. Tesladyne has to keep Him under wraps because proof that God is real would topple all known civilizations. God's player is now burdened with being the driving force in the campaign as every single exercise of His powers is met with annoyed resistance from His caretakers, the other players, followed by a mountain of paperwork.

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

Blasphemeral posted:

No. They get told No.

Is there an interesting story to be told about God walking among mortals and interacting with a lesser beings? Yes, certainly. But that's not what Aspects are for. Aspects are not there to allow one player to hijack a game and dictate to everyone else what sort of game you will be playing and what sort of stories will be told, and that's exactly what an Aspect like that does. That sort of choice should be made as a consensus decision between the GM and the group when they're deciding what type of game to play, not pulled out of someone's hat during character creation.

Sure, I we just go together and said, "lets come up with whatever characters we feel like and we'll work out the setting from there" it'd be one thing. But if we just sat down to play a gritty urban fantasy adventure and one of the players decides that they want to write down an Aspect like "Invincible Alien Space Wizard" then I'm going to tell them to cut it out. As a GM I spent a lot of time thinking about the setting and the complications characters will face in this world we made together and the rest of the players have spent time creating characters and relationships based on the genre and assumptions of the setting. One player who decides to get "win" FATE in the stupidest way doesn't get to change that.

It's okay to say no. Maybe you don't feel comfortable as a GM using personal authority to shut a player down, that's fine. Put it to a vote with the group and if everyone's on board with that idea then cool. Give me some time to come up with some new plots, let everyone else reconsider their characters and we can roll with it. But don't feel like you have to let someone be God just because they wrote it on their character sheet.

Nor am I or the rest of the players there to "educate" this person. If they need lessons in how to play a game with their friends then that's not going to be handled by spending my precious few hours of game time pandering to their BS to teach them about it.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Just want to say that I had a combat with an elder member of the squid alien race that is trying to enslave humanity in a parallel dimension by pouring boiling water all over it and then dropkicking it inside a spaceship that was corkscrewing down into the centre of a planet. This game system owns hard!

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

Often, people who want to sit down and play P&P RPGs are a little under-socialized and just need some help adjusting to a new system or set of expectations. Its easier to teach with a gentle hand than with a backhand.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Blasphemeral posted:

Often, people who want to sit down and play P&P RPGs are a little under-socialized and just need some help adjusting to a new system or set of expectations. Its easier to teach with a gentle hand than with a backhand.

Socialization doesn't mean "never gets told no" though as any parent can attest.

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

If being told "no, you can't play god" counts as a 'backhand' to anyone they're far, far too undersocialized to hold a conversation, let alone play a game with me. I'm not saying I'd kick them out, burn their character sheet or beat them with a stick. They just get told "no, pick something more appropriate" I don't play with 5-year-olds and if that response is too tyrannical for an adult or teenager then how are they going to deal with the shock the first time they fail a roll?

If we were talking about an Aspect that might be a little out of place or against theme, then sure there's room for negotiation or even just saying "gently caress it, lets throw it in and see what happens". If it was a case of honestly not understanding the idea of aspects or what's appropriate for the setting then we have a conversation to hash that out. That isn't what we're talking about. This is someone trying to throw down a ridiculous aspect explicitly to "win" FATE. That gets a no. "Omnipotence" is not a suitable Aspect. Sorry.

And of course, like all RPGs, its a collaboration. If one player throws that out and the rest of the group goes "ooh! ooh! If he's God I'll be Buddha and Ed can be Thor and we'll drive around in a VW van solving crimes." and everyone loves it then I'll just say give me some time to come up with some new ideas and we'll roll with that.

oriongates fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Feb 22, 2016

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

Anyone have a good suggestion for a nice and easy setting to introduce Fate to people in a one shot? I've never run it before but I played in a session of the...older verison of fate, ages ago, with Evil Mastermind, I believe (air pirate campaign, I signed on as a cook and I think we killed a kraken and had a cooking contest? I remember running naked through town collecting spices and things, I think you had a post about it one of the threads) so I am familiar with the mechanics a bit and I love the core book and the supplements. My group is rabid d20 fans but our best games in my opinion have been playing Fiasco and other non-adversarial things so I really want to try to get us moving elsewhere.

I have Fate Core and the two Worlds books. Really I just want to do something fun and a little goofy, doesn't even really need to turn into anything else. I have a cyberpunk setting I have been plotting out a little to do eventually, and I was thinking of doing a train heist, but I think I would rather just find something that we can all try out before we sit down to do the hardcore worldbuilding stuff.

Suggestions? Thanks in advance! :)

thefakenews
Oct 20, 2012

Quidnose posted:

Anyone have a good suggestion for a nice and easy setting to introduce Fate to people in a one shot? I've never run it before but I played in a session of the...older verison of fate, ages ago, with Evil Mastermind, I believe (air pirate campaign, I signed on as a cook and I think we killed a kraken and had a cooking contest? I remember running naked through town collecting spices and things, I think you had a post about it one of the threads) so I am familiar with the mechanics a bit and I love the core book and the supplements. My group is rabid d20 fans but our best games in my opinion have been playing Fiasco and other non-adversarial things so I really want to try to get us moving elsewhere.

I have Fate Core and the two Worlds books. Really I just want to do something fun and a little goofy, doesn't even really need to turn into anything else. I have a cyberpunk setting I have been plotting out a little to do eventually, and I was thinking of doing a train heist, but I think I would rather just find something that we can all try out before we sit down to do the hardcore worldbuilding stuff.

I feel like suggesting Atomic Robo is a little cliche, but Atomic Robo.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Quidnose posted:

That doesn't sound like anything I've run; if it was a PbP it wasn't me because I only ran one ever at it was Kerberos Club.

That said, maybe check out It's Not My Fault. It's designed for FAE one-shots where people make their character from three character cards (two are picked by the player, one is dealt at random) that give you your approaches and "starter" aspects. Then the GM draws from three decks to determine where everyone is, what is going on, and how it's about to become worse.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Quidnose posted:

Save Game has been my most relatable pitch, it's not quite a full introduction to Fate since compels are pretty rare as a means for getting Fate Points but in terms of letting people engage with the engine it was pretty prime.

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

You can have the last word, but I'll have the last laugh!
So this may be premature, but when it comes to writing I tend to get a lot of ideas both big and small, and after participating in an FAE session I really like the feel of the system. Enough to consider writing my own setting/world for it even though I'm still a newbie.

Granted, I heard that a common trend among third partiers is to treat FATE like less of a toolbox and more a D20esque thing to staple your new rules and such onto; or something equivalent where in their bid to cash in they miss the spirit of the game.

What FATE hacks/settings would people recommend as good examples? What common pitfalls should one avoid? Any advice is welcome.

And if it matters, my idea is actually keyed off of an existing Pathfinder idea I'm writing: a mage high school set in a D&Desque fantasy metropolis with some superhero elements. The PCs are students in a magical academy by day, along with all the weirdness and drama that can spawn from failed summonings and spell duels, but by night are masked vigilantes who take on fantasy-style supervillains such as a necromancer 'mad scientist' or a Kingpin-lite Thieves' Guild crime lord.

I'd say that key elements of the game involve straight superhero stuff along with the backdrop of one's 'civilian identity' and how the relationships and lessons they learn at school or in the wider community can help their masked crime-fighting, and vice versa.

Libertad! fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Mar 12, 2016

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I'd read, at minimum, Worlds on Fire and Worlds in Shadow. Especially Fight Fire & White Picket Witches, which are as far apart as the system goes.

There was a Psychic Space Highschool game released that was Pay-What-You-Want.

There are probably 20+ good FATE settings out there, so I'd read and play in a few more games before you try a full redesign.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Off the top of my head, I'd say any of the Worlds of Adventure are good places to start. Secrets of Cats and Gods and Monsters are good games that show how to get Fate to do non-standard RPG things.

As for what to avoid...I'm not a designer by any means but I think the big problem with bad Fate hacks is that they (like you said) just hang a setting onto the rules framework and call it a day. Fate/FAE work best when things are integrated between the rules and the fiction, and when you build out from the core rules instead of just assuming that aspects and stunts will do all your heavy lifting.

It's like with PbtA games. PbtA games shine when the moves push a fictive idea, and Fate works the same way.

For "inspiration" about bad Fate hacks and what to avoid, I'd suggest looking at Starbright's cash-in garbage.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Atomic Robo is a good example of a focused implementation and of how to do some relatively elegant design, but I wouldn't lean on it too heavily. As far as what I'd avoid, I think generally avoiding any implementation done before Fate Core came out is a good rule of thumb; even first-party stuff like Dresden Files is a hot mess.

Pulsedragon
Aug 5, 2013
So I've kind of been spinning my wheels on a FATE hack I've been working on for a while and I wanted to get some feedback. See, I'm not really super-satisfied with the existing RPGs for playing magical girl stories and I decided to get some work done on it, and what I have right now is a sort of, almost kludged together FATE Hack that's part Iron Edda, with a bit from Psychademia and Atomic Robo. My main contention is that things like Magical Burst don't quite capture the feel of an actual magical girls show, beyond a few touchstones. I did include rules to run the game kind of like it, if you so desired, mostly because if you pitch a magical girls game in most of the circles I run in, right now that's what they'd expect. Anyway here's the link.

https://www.scribd.com/doc/304216500/Max-Burst

I should probably re-title it because uh.

I go by MaximusPrime elsewhere and it was originally going to be me houseruling Magical Burst into something I was satisfied with for something more traditional, and it's drifted, mechanically, from those roots. Also. It's not a great name.

EDIT: Okay I'm done trying to make this link work as clickable text.

Pulsedragon fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Mar 13, 2016

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Pulsedragon posted:

[url=/www.scribd.com/doc/304216500/Max-Burst]Max Burst/url]

I should probably re-title it because uh.

You also didn't close your url.

Edit: You don't capitalize FATE or FATE CORE (see thread title).

There's nothing wrong here but I don't see anything to get too excited about.

Golden Bee fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Mar 13, 2016

Pulsedragon
Aug 5, 2013

Golden Bee posted:

You also didn't close your url.

See I am very good at typos and not noticing them.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Pulsedragon posted:

See I am very good at typos and not noticing them.

If you want this to work:
Give me a world. Suggest why your magic girl game beats the alternatives. Part of this is in rules examples (Spirit of '77 does this really well). Part of it is flavor text. Part is intro and sectional text. You ought to answer:
-Why THIS game
-Why Magical Girl is a good genre
-How your game is more realistic (or more fun) or more powerful at capturing the bifurcated lives of teen magical defenders. Because you're not even the only MG hack on this forum.

Put it in a Gdoc (so people will call out your typos), create an Iconic Team (and how you'd change them to emphasize different stuff). Otherwise it's like "Yeah, those are some rules. Ok."

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Eclipse Phase Transhumanity's Fate has been released. It's the official fate conversion for Eclipse Phase.

Anyone know if it is any good?

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Covok posted:

Eclipse Phase Transhumanity's Fate has been released. It's the official fate conversion for Eclipse Phase.

Anyone know if it is any good?

I want to know this, too. I will buy it instantaneously if it's a good adaptation. Eclipse Phase is the cyberpunk/sci-fi kitchen sink setting of my dreams.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I'm probably going to grab the EP guide this weekend; I'll let y'all know what I think.

Meanwhile, it looks like Deck of Fate Mobile Edition is going to be a thing.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

It's a pretty good conversion. It avoids most of the fiddly mess of Eclipse Phase's original ruleset while still keeping a lot of the feel of the game. There's still a lot of stuff to keep track of with Morphs, but you don't end up taking a half dozen stunts or anything overcomplicated like that. They rebalanced some of the Psi sleights but only to make them fit how powerful in the narrative they are in Fate compared to EP. Combat is thankfully not a mess, Gear Stunts are present but not overbearing, and some of the more overpowered weapons, like plasma beams, are actually presented in a way that is sane for the system.

There's even a skill comparison chart in the back for converting existing characters.

You still need a copy of Fate Core to play, but since that's PWYW I'm assuming anybody who's reading this thread already has it.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Kwyndig posted:

There's still a lot of stuff to keep track of with Morphs, but you don't end up taking a half dozen stunts or anything overcomplicated like that.
That was honestly my biggest worry. I love EP as much as the next guy, but the need to account for fiddly-designed backup bodies was pretty annoying. Especially since I played an AGI.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Yeah Morphs have traits which are a thing in Transhumanity's Fate that basically count as permissions to do things out of the ordinary, but don't really give you a mechanical advantage. Traits are things like Access Jacks, Natural Weapons, Cyberbrain, etc.

Morphs also have up to two Aspects, the first Aspect is basically the name of the Morph with maybe a modifier like Old Flat or Bulky Octomorph and is roughly equivalent to a High Concept, while the second one is usually related to an unusual physical or mental feature and can (but doesn't have to) function as a trouble Aspect.

Particularly powerful Morphs like Furies and Reapers do have a handful of stunts, but most Morphs have between zero and three. These stunts do of course affect the Refresh cost to sleeve into one, although Refresh costs are fairly low since Morphs are still considered somewhat temporary possessions.