Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

Alterian posted:

I have 3 7am exams this semester.

gently caress your life.

I realized today, when asking my professors about my grades, the sole reason why I won't get a 4.0 this semester is because I could not be arsed to get out of bed to go to an 8 AM class that I have. :eng99:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

My favourite early morning exam was 8 a.m. on a Saturday, for math of all things. On weekdays, my commute is usually an hour because I live on the opposite side of the city, but I could bus into downtown and then catch another that goes straight to the university. On Saturdays, the bus from downtown doesn't run that early, so I had to take a "circle route" bus (literally a giant circle-shaped route through the suburbs) which takes two hours to get there. It was also near -40 that day. I was too broke to take a cab.

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Did you ever wonder where the Romans got bread from? It wasn't from Waitrose!
Thank God the British put all of the people who would hold 8am exams on the Mayflower so that the earliest classes/exams here are at 9am :v:

That said, I had a magical final exam week one year (as student) that saw me having a three hour exam from 9-12 and another from 7pm-10pm on a goddamned Saturday (in the US). I still remember how badly my head ached while I was trying to write the second one.

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

Cats are terrifying, everyone knows that! 'Cause they're witches! And they've got knives in their feet!

Thankfully I don't have to take my 8am exam since I gave a presentation instead but I'm still going in anyway to collect an essay.

However, I was looking through my schedule for next semester and realized something. I have a once a week Physical Anthropology class on Fridays that is three hours long which sucks since it's at 7:30 am but is bearable. Unfortunately, fifteen minutes after that the lab section starts and that's also three hours long so I have six straight hours of the same drat science class on Friday! :suicide:

But hey, at least I got into the class at all, they're all closed or waitlisted to hell now, even for the undesirable timeslots like mine. And I don't have work that day either so I can go drink immediately afterwards! There is a silver lining!

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

You all talk like having to work at 5am the day after the final day of classes is going to stop anyone from drinking. :yotj:

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
<ring, ring> (picks up phone)

"Hello, I'm Cindy from the Insert University Name here Alumni Association. We see here by your records you have been a graduate for a whole 8 months. Would you be interested in making a donation?"

(looks at latest minuscule pay stub and receipt for student loan payment next to it with the 5 figure remaining balance at the bottom)

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Blistex posted:

"Hello, I'm Cindy from the Insert University Name here Alumni Association. We see here by your records you have been a graduate for a whole 8 months. Would you be interested in making a donation?"

(looks at latest minuscule pay stub and receipt for student loan payment next to it with the 5 figure remaining balance at the bottom)

Get used to it. They never stop, no matter what. They're worse than cold-call telemarketers. You can fax them your tax return, showing them you earned all of eighteen bucks this year and tell them you're emaciated and living in poverty and that attending their university was the worst decision you ever made and it won't stop them from begging for money next month.

Alumni associations are usually 501(c)(3) non-profits, too, so they're unaffected by the National Do-Not-Call List.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
Alumni organizations are the dumbest thing. Hi we've gotten literally tens of thousands of dollars from you and you'll probably be in debt the rest of your life but you should give us some more money.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

Get used to it. They never stop, no matter what. They're worse than cold-call telemarketers. You can fax them your tax return, showing them you earned all of eighteen bucks this year and tell them you're emaciated and living in poverty and that attending their university was the worst decision you ever made and it won't stop them from begging for money next month.

"Would you like to make a one-time donation of $250?"

"No, thank you."

"How about a donation of $100?"

"No thanks."

[Small talk about the last time I had been on campus and what I was doing, which I'm fine with as the poor student making the cold calls undoubtedly needs the cash from this job. But then as the call had clearly run its course and we exchanged pleasantries, one last parting shot:]

"Fifty dollars?"

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I get calls from the alumni association while I'm currently in their master's program, so it doesn't stop even if you're literally working for and going to their school still. I did get my first 4.0 term GPA after 4.5 years of university, so I guess this semester turned out way better than expected.

Alpenglow
Mar 12, 2007

On a prominent wall in our fancy new department building, there are donors listed for just slightly more than 1/3 of my year's tuition. It's not even a long list.

Lamech
Nov 20, 2001

Soiled Meat
I was working as an adjunct after I graduated from the university. It was really fun to get the "hey, will you give us some money" calls. Uh no, do you freely give money back to your employer? Now that I'm tenured at another place I get the alumni calls, but have all the phone numbers stored in my phone as "Alumni poo poo do not answer."

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

We can't keep the crowd waiting, can we?

Mr E posted:

I get calls from the alumni association while I'm currently in their master's program, so it doesn't stop even if you're literally working for and going to their school still.

Got an alumni association call from my old University's foundation, which administers the association. While I was working as an undergrad student assistant at the foundation. I don't mean "during the same time" - I mean while at work.

"I haven't graduated."
"Oh, I'm sorry, I'll take you off the list."
"No need. I just took myself off."
"Huh?"

(I think my boss just used my info as a placeholder while testing out the new database frontend we'd just gotten made, and forgot to delete me. Still funny as hell when it happened.)

take me you ANIMAL
Nov 28, 2002

Congrats big boy
Going into the final for an intro course in critical thinking with over 40% of you grade hanging on the final, third exam, and paper. All of which were not graded at the time of the exam. gently caress, I just wanted to pass this class to fill my core requirement, not poo poo myself over not understanding some key concept that would drop me to a D or F.

Though seeing myself squeak an A out of it by getting a 90.04 was pretty great.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Gobblecoque posted:

Alumni organizations are the dumbest thing. Hi we've gotten literally tens of thousands of dollars from you and you'll probably be in debt the rest of your life but you should give us some more money.

"We need the money :cry:"

Bull-loving-poo poo. You don't need any more money because you've got all of mine. The gently caress you think you need it for, anyway? Buying kegs for the alumni tent during homecoming so you can then charge us $10 a cup for lovely beer? SURE BUDDY LET ME GET OUT MY CHECKBOOK

I worked at a commercial call center as an undergrad for beer money, and while it wasn't the best job (after all, I was a goddamn telemarketer), it was way better than working for the alumni call center. I had my own cubicle, we got paid breaks, and earned commission for sales we made.

The poor schmoes tricked into working for the alumni association? They got a metal folding chair at a table occupied by at least three other people and had to use phones that were purchased in the 1970's. No commission, and were constantly reminded that they were replaceable.

My job:

"Fai, you look excited."

"I sure am! I just made a sale."

"Great job, buddy. Enjoy that commission. Have a beer for me!"

Poor alumni association worker:

"Yes! I got a donation!"

"Did you?"

"Yeah, he was really reluctant, but he donated $50!"

"Well, why didn't you convince him to donate $100? Our university needs this money. By failing to get more out of him, you might've just cost someone a scholarship. You know, a lot of people want to work here... I'll let you think about that on your next call. Get back to work."

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

QUEEN OF FRANCE, SAVIOR OF LOWTAX
I had to poop during my last exam and it was distracting gently caress college

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

I have an exam in an hour and I feel like I'll have to poop in the middle of it college is absurd

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Drink a shitton of coffee right now or use a tobacco product.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I live in on-campus housing. For the first time this entire semester, I got a complaint about noise. Apparently I sound like I'm dropping things on the floor when I'm walking around.

That's fine, whatever. I'll try and be more mindful. What I don't understand is why our RA felt the need to knock on my door as loudly as she could to tell me about it at quarter to 10 at night. Or why me walking too loudly is supposedly such a problem, but the group of seven people earlier in the night at 8ish knocking on doors asking for money to take out people's trash somehow isn't a problem either. Don't even get me started on the people that yell outside the building at 2 in the morning.

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

didn't need to poop but "3" hour exam took me 5.5 hours and was extended to 8 hours lmao

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

How do people get into university without knowing the most basic of conversions? Specifically, how many centimeters in a meter. I'm pretty sure we learn that as soon as we learn to count to 100.

And yet I was in a class where we had to do map scale exercises and by the end of the semester, the prof was so exasperated with people still using 10 or 1000 that she told us that she would put that specific question on our final.

It was on there twice. TWICE. How many cm in a m, and how many m in a cm. She wanted to drill it in their heads so hard that they should loving know this by now. It's ridiculous.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Uh I'll have you know that the Metric system was designed to subvert America and American values because we have our own system for measurements and

Jaramin
Oct 20, 2010

In my last final, a student got into an argument with the professor about whether there was a point to him taking the final because he couldn't pass the class anyway.

Tangents
Aug 23, 2008

Raxivace posted:

I live in on-campus housing. For the first time this entire semester, I got a complaint about noise. Apparently I sound like I'm dropping things on the floor when I'm walking around.

That's fine, whatever. I'll try and be more mindful. What I don't understand is why our RA felt the need to knock on my door as loudly as she could to tell me about it at quarter to 10 at night. Or why me walking too loudly is supposedly such a problem, but the group of seven people earlier in the night at 8ish knocking on doors asking for money to take out people's trash somehow isn't a problem either. Don't even get me started on the people that yell outside the building at 2 in the morning.

Someone wrote a note on my door saying I walk too loudly and it's distracting their studying. I'm just kind of baffled. How am I supposed to react to 'you walk too loudly'?

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

I understand your frustration.

Gils posted:

Someone wrote a note on my door saying I walk too loudly and it's distracting their studying. I'm just kind of baffled. How am I supposed to react to 'you walk too loudly'?

A lot of people have never lived anywhere but a single family house and haven't figured out in that style of housing you can hear your neighbors pretty much do anything.

Double Plus Good
Nov 4, 2009
Literally every person I know who has upstairs neighbors complains that they are soooooo loud. It's just a consequence of cheap apartments with poor insulation. You're going to hear every footstep. My dog weighs 15 pounds and the little old lady downstairs told me she can hear her walking around during the day when I'm gone. :shrug: Although I did once have upstairs neighbors who had sex on their squeaky bed every night at the same time. It was almost comforting, to be studying and hear it start up and be like, ah, is it 9:30 already? College.

I can't wait to live in either a single unit or a downstairs unit so I can workout again. It sucks to not be able to do any kind of impact cardio.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

I never delivered a noise complaint about my upstairs neighbor, and I never received one. The guy several doors down who insisted on DJing with his window open was another story.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

Double Plus Good posted:

Literally every person I know who has upstairs neighbors complains that they are soooooo loud. It's just a consequence of cheap apartments with poor insulation. You're going to hear every footstep. My dog weighs 15 pounds and the little old lady downstairs told me she can hear her walking around during the day when I'm gone. :shrug: Although I did once have upstairs neighbors who had sex on their squeaky bed every night at the same time. It was almost comforting, to be studying and hear it start up and be like, ah, is it 9:30 already? College.

I can't wait to live in either a single unit or a downstairs unit so I can workout again. It sucks to not be able to do any kind of impact cardio.

loving for real. The girl who lives above me cannot weigh more than 110 pounds, yet it seriously sounds like she's stomping with every step she takes.

On a schadenfreude note, I saw her show up for a final a day late (the class I was in was the same class she was supposed to have been in the day before) today. MAYBE IF YOU HADN'T STOMPED SO HARD :downs:

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Raxivace posted:

Uh I'll have you know that the Metric system was designed to subvert America and American values because we have our own system for measurements and

We're all Canadian :negative:

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Picnic Princess posted:

We're all Canadian :negative:

:stare:

That's really, really sad.

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Did you ever wonder where the Romans got bread from? It wasn't from Waitrose!

Blistex posted:

I got my grad school to remove me from their alumni association and badgering list shortly after I graduated; it took a couple of phone calls and a letter, but I haven't heard from those fuckers in a good going-on-20 years now.

(Due to internal politics, backstabbing, and all sorts of petty poo poo, I lost my funding to a fellow student who spread lies and rumours about me and a couple of other people to cover up her own cheating and poor academic practice. We lost out funding; I had to take out a fuckton of student loans to save my rear end at the last minute, &c. So when I was asked by the perky Biff from the alumni association after graduation to cough up money, I told them politely that it was ever unlikely that I would donate to the department that axed my funding. And of course at the end of the day, the fellow student eventually got found out and flunked out but not after managing to get a free tuition ride, a couple of scholarships to study abroad, and other financial perks, &c.)

That school pissed me off so much for this and several other issues -- hello,adviser publishing my research -- that it's unusual even for me to tell people where I went for grad school. My current colleagues were recently surprised to find out where I got my degree (it came up because of a new colleague who constantly reminds us that she went to Oxford); it's why I refuse to attend graduations as you're expected to wear your alma mater's academic robes/colours. Not if you put a gun to my head, sorry kids.

Ms Boods has a new favorite as of 10:56 on Dec 20, 2014

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Gobblecoque posted:

I started getting e-mails from the alumni association during my third year of school. Like yes, I'm a college student in my 30's. No, I don't have any money, I'm so goddamned poor I get the maximum amount of aid, much of which is loans I'll be paying back for quite a while. The university is always whining about how enrollment is declining and the college is hurting for money but they have been adding more administrative staff while spending millions on construction. Yeah I'm sure building more dorms is a really good idea when enrollment is down.

Which is another thing...there were people on campus giving presentations about how awesome the new dorms are going to be. The thing that was conspicuously absent was the price, which is downright absurd. Oh and by the way, you're required to live on campus for two years now, no exceptions, because gently caress you, that's why. Even if you live in the college-associated private place it's still ridiculous. I did the math and some of the places cost over $2,000 a month for what amounts to a tiny apartment. Which might make sense if this was a bustling metropolis with astronomical land values but no, this is rural loving Pennsylvania. You can rent an entire freaking house for a quarter of that.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Wow I thought the 1000 a month that my dorm in my first year cost me was ridiculous.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

littleorv posted:

Wow I thought the 1000 a month that my dorm in my first year cost me was ridiculous.

Yeah it doesn't seem like much until you have crap like people paying $750 a month each to share a place.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I'm not going to lie - there really isn't any other feeling like walking out of finals, knowing that even if you completely hosed up, you're still good in the class. It's like all the stress and nuttyness dissolves away.

Coolie Ghost
Jan 16, 2013

sensible dissent dispenser
There's a lot that annoys me about my university and the people who go there, but I have a hard time complaining about much of it because I transferred in from community college.
At least where I am now the "game room" isn't connected to the cafeteria, and no pasty white guys yell the n-word at each other for "comedy" because it's an urban campus.

When I pass the game room on my way to the psych building, I can see through the window that the nerds here also bring their own TVs and game systems to the game room :negative:

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Ms Boods posted:

internal politics, backstabbing, and all sorts of petty poo poo

I was in no way prepared for this crap when I decided to get my MA. You always hear about how cutthroat law school is (students loving each other over by tearing pages out of law books in the library, etc.), but it was worse in my program. Everyone was out to gently caress everyone else over. Stealing research, leaving peoples' names off of articles, sabotaging files on the department computers--you name it, they did it. It was ridiculous.

Every day I'd wake up with the thought, "Who is going to gently caress me over today and how? Oh, the crazy gal from the Campus Green Party went to document services and told them my poster could wait until next week and that she should take my spot in the queue? drat. I guessed the tenured professor who made me do four months' worth of data analysis for a journal article he promised to put my name on and then didn't would've hosed with the projects I left to run overnight on the department computers. Oh well, there's always tomorrow!"

I eventually couldn't handle it anymore and spoke to my thesis committee about it. Their response?

"That's just how it is up here."

My diploma is in a drawer somewhere, unopened. I was so burnt out on academia that I didn't bother walking at graduation, and I haven't used any of the skills I'm still making loan payments for in all the years since I got the degree.

Of course, telling the Alumni Association this over and over doesn't stop them from loving calling and begging for money :argh:

Richard Bong
Dec 11, 2008
I have a professor who apparently will move quickly through slides because its ~college~ but refuses to post the slides on D2L because apparently we wont come to class or something? The worst part is I am stuck in this class slot.

1 more year... 1 more year...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

I was in no way prepared for this crap when I decided to get my MA. You always hear about how cutthroat law school is (students loving each other over by tearing pages out of law books in the library, etc.), but it was worse in my program. Everyone was out to gently caress everyone else over. Stealing research, leaving peoples' names off of articles, sabotaging files on the department computers--you name it, they did it. It was ridiculous.

As a university librarian, I get to watch premeds do this to each other all the time, oftentimes trying to get me to help them sabotage the rest of their class. It's always funny to watch.

• Locked thread