Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Amused Frog
Sep 8, 2006
Waah no fair my thread!

epenthesis posted:

I guess I'm the only one who tracks to the penny. Whatever; I'm used to doing it and it makes me feel better knowing that level of detail. Also, I represent small personal debts as uncleared cash transactions so they're harder to overlook.

I do this too.

quote:

I have four cash accounts: wallet, loose change (I reconcile this one every few months, and eventually I'll take the trouble to deposit it), emergency cash, and laundry quarters.

Now you've lost me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

:aaaaa:

I was looking for a button on the first entering transaction screen- never looked in the payee for a transfer option. Thanks!

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer

epenthesis posted:

I guess I'm the only one who tracks to the penny. Whatever; I'm used to doing it and it makes me feel better knowing that level of detail. Also, I represent small personal debts as uncleared cash transactions so they're harder to overlook.

I have four cash accounts: wallet, loose change (I reconcile this one every few months, and eventually I'll take the trouble to deposit it), emergency cash, and laundry quarters.
I feel like you should get some kind of certificate of anal achievement for this

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

I have cash on hand (basically what's in my wallet), emergency cash (stashed around my apartment), and laundry quarters but I only track to the nearest quarter because :effort:

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
I round all my cash purchases up to the nearest $5 (Australian) and put the change in a jar. Then at some point i'll deposit that and class it as income

epenthesis
Jan 12, 2008

I'M TAKIN' YOU PUNKS DOWN!

Defenestration posted:

I feel like you should get some kind of certificate of anal achievement for this

Of all the ways to earn a certificate of anal achievement, that's got to be the most disappointing.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Is there some mystical secret to nYNAB calculating credit card payments that just loving eludes me or is it buggy as poo poo?

Current credit card balance, which gets paid every month or several times a month if I'm tired of staring at it: $166.90

nYNAB says I've done $397.62 of spending, which, I dunno, is probably right
it also says I've done $397.62 of budgeted spending, which is correct enough because none of my categories are over-budget, and I've made $925.46 in payments, which is correct because my bill is due on the 4th. nYNAB reports the category for that credit card at +316.87, which is way higher than the $166.90 currently outstanding on the card

However that's like, not counting month boundaries. I've spent $397.62 this month with $925.46 of payments, so okay, sure, this month and this month alone my account is theoretically in the positive, if I started with a 0 balance at the beginning of the month. Except at the end of last month the category is reporting at $800 some.

So toolkit for yNAB raises a red flag and says "whoa buddy that category balance doesn't match what your credit card balance is, you can safely pull $150 out of that category and back into your budget!"

And that's a lot of loving money to just get swallowed into my budget like that. Should I just be leaving the credit card categories alone or should I be negative budgeting them as necessary to make them make sense? Did I just pull $150 into my budget that doesn't actually exist? What the gently caress is the deal here?

This does not feel right.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Sockser posted:

Is there some mystical secret to nYNAB calculating credit card payments that just loving eludes me or is it buggy as poo poo?

Current credit card balance, which gets paid every month or several times a month if I'm tired of staring at it: $166.90

nYNAB says I've done $397.62 of spending, which, I dunno, is probably right
it also says I've done $397.62 of budgeted spending, which is correct enough because none of my categories are over-budget, and I've made $925.46 in payments, which is correct because my bill is due on the 4th. nYNAB reports the category for that credit card at +316.87, which is way higher than the $166.90 currently outstanding on the card

However that's like, not counting month boundaries. I've spent $397.62 this month with $925.46 of payments, so okay, sure, this month and this month alone my account is theoretically in the positive, if I started with a 0 balance at the beginning of the month. Except at the end of last month the category is reporting at $800 some.

So toolkit for yNAB raises a red flag and says "whoa buddy that category balance doesn't match what your credit card balance is, you can safely pull $150 out of that category and back into your budget!"

And that's a lot of loving money to just get swallowed into my budget like that. Should I just be leaving the credit card categories alone or should I be negative budgeting them as necessary to make them make sense? Did I just pull $150 into my budget that doesn't actually exist? What the gently caress is the deal here?

This does not feel right.

Your Grocery budget is $100. You spend $25 on groceries with a credit card. YNAB moves $25 from your grocery budget to your CC budget so your grocery budget is now $75 and your CC payment is $25. You shouldn't move that money out of that category since you need to pay that CC off at the end of the month with that money.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

uPen posted:

Your Grocery budget is $100. You spend $25 on groceries with a credit card. YNAB moves $25 from your grocery budget to your CC budget so your grocery budget is now $75 and your CC payment is $25. You shouldn't move that money out of that category since you need to pay that CC off at the end of the month with that money.

This is not how YNAB4 handles it, however- which is why I haven't made the jump to nYNAB. I'm too used to the YNAB4 way.

Edit: At least I don't think it is, anyway. I'm not spending on that CC so I'm not certain but I don't believe it automatically moves anything around.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
If you want it how YNAB4 handles it, use a regular account for your credit card in nYNAB.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
That's not a bad idea.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

uPen posted:

Except I've spent $300 on stuff this month and made $900 of payments so I need to make $150 of payments but nYNAB is saying $500

poo poo, making credit cards into regular accounts is brilliant. Doing that right the gently caress now.

mcpringles
Jan 26, 2004

Does everyone use the new subscription model? I was looking into getting YNAB and it seems like the the new program is the way to go, minus having to pay $5/mo forever versus $60 once.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
nYNAB is still missing a ton of poo poo compared to YNAB4. There's an extension for most browsers called YNAB Toolkit that makes a valiant effort to restore them.

I'm still using YNAB4, though. The only thing nYNAB offers is auto-import from some banks and being a webapp, so you can access it from anywhere... but at the cost of being a subscription-based service with half the features.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

I am also still on YNAB4. No reason to fix what isn't broken.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

So from what Im reading, nYNAB is still not worth it yet.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No search, no reports, no payee management. Those are the big ones missing.

--edit: Also, people get up in a tizzy because there isn't a strict distinction between months for income.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

IllegallySober posted:

I am also still on YNAB4. No reason to fix what isn't broken.

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer
YNAB4 4eva

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

I use nYNAB.

I just imported a weeks worth of transactions from Citi. They all have [No description provided by institution] in the payee field and the payee in the memo field.

Thanks YNAB!

Fano
Oct 20, 2010
nYNAB works flawlessly for me importing transactions from wells fargo.

I don't have enough of a history in YNAB to make use of reports just yet, but working with the mobile app is easy and convenient and hopefully reports will be integrated by the time I can get some meaningful usage out of them.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Dumb question from someone using the bad version of YNAB. I've been manually entering all my transactions, but I'm starting to slack so I think I might want to give in and move on to automatic imports from my bank. If I switch to that after I have been entering my own for months, how much pain am I going to be in?

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

The only downside to YNAB 4 is that I can't edit my budget using the app, and the desktop version requires an install so I can't run it at work when I'm much more inclined to push around numbers.

Now that I think of it, is it possible to run off of a flash drive? Maybe I can just copy program files over and get by without needing admin privileges.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Teeter posted:

The only downside to YNAB 4 is that I can't edit my budget using the app, and the desktop version requires an install so I can't run it at work when I'm much more inclined to push around numbers.

Now that I think of it, is it possible to run off of a flash drive? Maybe I can just copy program files over and get by without needing admin privileges.

Quick search suggests so, but if you're using the mobile app, unless you can have Dropbox you might run into some issues.

Slimchandi
May 13, 2005
That finger on your temple is the barrel of my raygun

Teeter posted:

The only downside to YNAB 4 is that I can't edit my budget using the app.

I think I kinda like this 'feature'. It makes me really consider the category balances and I know I can't quickly shuffle to make myself feel better.

mcpringles
Jan 26, 2004

Thanks for the responses everyone. nYNAB seemed like the way to go and the future. My wife and I will both be using it so it seems like the mobile app/website would be ideal. Plus I can't run the program on my work computer.

I read through a big post on their website and it seemed like nYNAB had a lot of new features and they were adding or already added some things it was missing at launch.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Toolkit for YNAB 0.7.2 now comes with additional spending by category and payee reports. They work on master category level only currently. There's also an income vs expense report, i.e. the big grid.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

Having all the reports mostly back is awesome

And speaking of reports, I finally backported all of my YNAB4 work and built out my net worth since graduating college :toot:
Most of it is just rough as hell going off student loan bills and bank statements, since I started actually for real using YNAB around last February, coincidentally when the graph started going up instead of staying flat.

I'll be back in the black this month and that feels pretty rad

long term, what I'm doing is I've got a copy of my budget which I just go in and reconcile at the end of the month to whatever my account balances currently are. When January rolls around, I'll start a new real budget and just keep this long-term guy going because I like looking at this graph and getting the warm fuzzies.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Combat Pretzel posted:

No search, no reports, no payee management. Those are the big ones missing.

--edit: Also, people get up in a tizzy because there isn't a strict distinction between months for income.

No search is unacceptable

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

Teeter posted:

FYI you can edit the budget with classic YNAB if you have the iPad version.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

dreesemonkey posted:

FYI you can edit the budget with classic YNAB if you have the iPad version.

Really wish they'd bring that ability to the 6+.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Bread Set Jettison posted:

No search is unacceptable
Well, Toolkit.

(lol.)

Beer Hall Putz
Sep 10, 2005

Unpleasent snacking
Is there a way to transfer money into an off-budget account without it showing as an expense? I'm moving money from my checking account into my share dealing account and YNAB seems to be recording it as an outgoing.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

If it's off budget, that means it's an expense to your budget, as that money is no longe available. Create a category for stocks or something and stuff it in there.

Beer Hall Putz
Sep 10, 2005

Unpleasent snacking
Guess that makes sense. Thanks :)

LLJKSiLk
Jul 7, 2005

by Athanatos
I've owned YNAB for several years but started using it at the beginning of this month as my budget has spiralled out of control. This is the first month in at least a year and a half where I am comfortable at the end of the month financially.

I spent about 3 hours setting everything up, but now it takes me around 5 minutes each morning just doing a reconciliation and keep a very accurate picture of what's going on. My financial situation looks dire, but it isn't impossible to overcome. For the first time in a long time I feel more empowered having control of my finances.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
I just want to make sure I'm doing this correctly.

I put in any debts (aside from Student Loans\Car Notes) in YNAB as Loan\Other Liability.

Each month when I make my payment, I do a transfer to that account and confirm the amounts match what they say I owe.

I don't do Student Loans or Car Notes after I'd read an article about how that tends to make some budgeters give up due to the large amounts.

Either way, is this the correct method or am I missing a step?

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

Nope, you're exactly right, though I'd recommend having your student/car loans in there just so you have an eye on it and your net worth and etc but really it's your call

I find it motivating to look at the big decreasing bar of red

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

Sockser posted:

Nope, you're exactly right, though I'd recommend having your student/car loans in there just so you have an eye on it and your net worth and etc but really it's your call

I find it motivating to look at the big decreasing bar of red

True. To be honest, I'm kind of scared to see my net worth with those factored in but it's an idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dwight Eisenhower
Jan 24, 2006

Indeed, I think that people want peace so much that one of these days governments had better get out of the way and let them have it.
Either you are fine with a negative net worth, in which case seeing what the number actually is won't hurt you and you'll happily keep churning away paying interest, or you are not fine with a negative net worth, in which case tracking the FOR REAL number and seeing when you're positive net worth will let you know when you've gotten out of the hole.