Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Cat Mattress posted:

There's two factors to deterrence:
1. Likelihood of getting caught
2. Severity of the punishment

Death penalty is pretty much thee most severe punishment you can have (without going into cruel and unusual territory at least), but if you figure you're going to get away with your crimes anyway it doesn't matter. But if you have a near-certainty of getting caught, then even a relatively mild sentence like three years of jail or a big fine can be enough. So basically do the teleport+mindread thing, but only do it for crime suspects. That'll reduce your workload by a lot and you could theoretically keep up with it if you limit yourself to a small state/country instead of trying to cover the entire world.

Pretty sure we proved like almost a decade ago that "severity of punishment" doesn't actually really play a meaningful role in deterrence. The death penalty doesn't deter people by any statistically significant amount.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing
You mean to tell me that people aren't purely rational self-interested actors?

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!

SynthOrange posted:

Well, you just need to increase his powers to the point where he can just read everyone's thoughts at once. Also kill them with thoughts for convenience.

Menace for God-Emperor of Mankind.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

idonotlikepeas posted:

Menace for God-Emperor of Mankind.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Captain Oblivious posted:

Pretty sure we proved like almost a decade ago that "severity of punishment" doesn't actually really play a meaningful role in deterrence. The death penalty doesn't deter people by any statistically significant amount.

If punishment becomes so severe as to cross a threshold where you've got nothing to lose anymore, yes.

But look at something like fraud. Say you've got to pay $50 for something, and if you fraud and don't pay the fine if you get caught is only $30.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
Liking the plot, but they should probably take a look at the dialogue. It's rolling into "written" rather than "spoken":

"Are you referencing . . . "

"I ask for a little bit of assurance . . . "

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Guessing he's trying to save those assassinated biodynamic kids

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

She wouldn't be crusading against Templar if you hadn't hosed her over so hard, Patrick.

Can't help but notice that you managed to distract the conversation out of answering why you wouldn't help find Moonshadow, too.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
"... not when I'm this close to curing your dad's cancer!"

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

His endgame is totally stopping the storm/event that created biodynamics. Hence time travel. Undo the past so the future proceeds in a mundane way. The powers that be lose their experiment, the kids live, he never becomes Menace, she never becomes Mega Girl, all the events after 1992 cease to be. Probably looks good from his perspective.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
I expect he'd go try to save the various "anyone who could have saved the world is dead"s if that was the point in time he was planning to be working around.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Warmachine posted:

His endgame is totally stopping the storm/event that created biodynamics. Hence time travel. Undo the past so the future proceeds in a mundane way.
Otoh, time travel is the cause of both biodynamics and the assassinations

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Jackard posted:

Otoh, time travel is the cause of both biodynamics and the assassinations

Ah, like the Rising Stars ending.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Jackard posted:

As the Patrick hivemind grows ever more complex he becomes a true Menace, traveling back in time to nip the world-saving powers in the bud.
Future Menace started this whole thing to groom his past self.

Alison and Patrick team up to Fight the Future.

Cryophage
Jan 14, 2012

what the hell is that creepy cartoon thing in your avatar?
I found SFP after being recommended to read it having liked Worm, so now I'm going to do the opposite:

Author's Summary posted:

Taylor is cruelly bullied at school, ignored or tormented by her peers, and unassisted by the school's staff. At the end of her rope, she holds on to one thing - her recently gained superpowers and her dream of joining the ranks of Brockton Bay's superheroes.

I've been told I'm terrible at convincing people to read things, so I'm just going to quote someone better:

sizuka2 posted:

Sturgeon's law applies to web serials, in spades - most of them are terrible, and a very few are good.

Worm is remarkably good. It starts out looking like a YA exploration of bullying in high school, with superpowers being a straightforward and unoriginal metaphor.

This is wildly misleading.

Like the best of any genre fiction, it takes the generic conventions... and then takes them seriously. What would it mean to live in a world where some people routinely laugh at the laws of physics, where unique powers mean every military or law enforcement action can quite plausibly run into an Outside Context Problem? Where there's no way to sort out who will trigger into superpowers before they do, and where there are existential threats requiring every available cape? So much fiction in this genre takes a world exactly like our own, but with superpowers. This author recognizes that a world which had superpowers in it... could never be a world exactly like our own.

The story is grim, the story is dark, and yet there are occasional flickers of heroism, all the brighter for the contrast.

The YA intro is an artifact of the unreliable viewpoint of the protagonist - a teenager who, often enough, thinks as teenagers tend to do. Or fails to think, also as teenagers tend to do.

Strongly recommended.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
seconding the recommendation, worm is some serious poo poo

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
it's also really loving long too though

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Is there an e-book version yet?

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
worm is like three million words long and only the first quarter is any good.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
I liked the whole thing.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

Error 404 posted:

I liked the whole thing.

i loved the increasingly violent high school revenge fantasies

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Worm is like, 10 times as long as it should be, and everyone in it is either a tremendous dick or they die. Actually a lot of the tremendous dicks die too but yeah. Either way it's annoying because you're basically reading about a bunch of incredibly unlikeable people beating the poo poo out of each other.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

jsoh posted:

i loved the increasingly violent high school revenge fantasies

So you never read past the first quarter, huh.

Error 404 fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Apr 10, 2015

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.

jsoh posted:

worm is like three million words long and only the first quarter is any good.

It's a little over one and a half million words, and it's very good overall. The beginning is a little weak, and there's a really bad section preceding the very strong ending. It's a first draft that was written remarkably quickly, and that shows in places.

Still, its' absolutely worth reading if you have any interest in superheroes at all.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
That's about as long as every Harry Potter book put together. A 1,500,000 word first draft sounds like a pretty daunting task.

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

AnonSpore posted:

Worm is like, 10 times as long as it should be, and everyone in it is either a tremendous dick or they die. Actually a lot of the tremendous dicks die too but yeah. Either way it's annoying because you're basically reading about a bunch of incredibly unlikeable people beating the poo poo out of each other.

I liked almost all the characters to varying degrees. Sorry you didn't enjoy it, I think it's by far the best web serial out there.

Heartily echoing the recommendation, though it has a very, very different tone than SFP.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Falstaff posted:

it has a very, very different tone than SFP.

True, though I'd argue that they share a lot of thematic ground.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Wittgen posted:

The beginning is a little weak, and there's a really bad section preceding the very strong ending.

This exactly. Though I thought the ending was in danger of collapsing under its own weight. Everything from Leviathan to Behemoth is solid gold.

Falstaff posted:

I think it's by far the best web serial out there.

Damning with faint praise, there.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So, back to SFP. What is Allison's plan, to try to gain the attention of the people who murdered the people who could have really saved the world?

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Tollymain posted:

So, back to SFP. What is Allison's plan, to try to gain the attention of the people who murdered the people who could have really saved the world?

MAybe it's her twitting on to this as a solution to the Invisible slasher problem, especially when you combine it with Fire guy's outburst as bait.

Vanilla Bison
Mar 27, 2010

Tollymain posted:

I don't think it's a plan so much as being aware that if she DOES come up with a way to use conventional superpowers to make the world "perfect for everyone forever" like she told Cleaver she wants to do, whoever killed off the biodynamics that could actually do that will probably come gunning for her.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
It'd be funny if we find out that whoever was assassinating biodynamics did go for her, but they couldn't figure out how to kill her.

Baby Allison thinks there are mosquitoes out, but there's some dude a thousand yards away cursing his useless rifle.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

AnonSpore posted:

Worm is like, 10 times as long as it should be

A common problem with internet published fiction. When you don't have to worry about paying for pagecounts things can bloooaat like you would not believe.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

So is Patrick genuinely upset here, or is he just trying to distract Alison from what he almost-but-didn't reveal? (My money is on "both".)

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

idonotlikepeas posted:

So is Patrick genuinely upset here, or is he just trying to distract Alison from what he almost-but-didn't reveal? (My money is on "both".)

Both's probably the right answer here. Patrick strikes me as a character who does actually care about other people (probably more than he expects to) and wants to do good things, but is pretty ends justifies the means about it. Regardless of how much he actually thinks of Allison as a friend and not just a potentially useful ally, she also wouldn't approve of a lot of the poo poo he's probably still going and wouldn't want to piss off someone who could literally punch his head off.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

There is no conspiracy. Patrick is just one of those guys who can't handle us living in a cruel, uncaring world.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
Anybody got a link back to the strip in which he first shows her those files? Can't seem to find it.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Hypocrisy posted:

There is no conspiracy. Patrick is just one of those guys who can't handle us living in a cruel, uncaring world.

There's cruel uncaring world and then there's "oh, everybody who could have REALLY changed the world just happened to be killed what a coincidence"

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

Here you go:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

idonotlikepeas posted:

He is manipulating her. The guy flat out explained that the way he controlled people is he read their thoughts so he knew what to tell them to get them to willingly do what he wanted. That he is pulling the strings on Alison isn't even subtext, its just text.

• Locked thread