Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
slip proof stairs
Oct 22, 2012

Good luck. I just scheduled one for the end of October. Spent the last weekend of my vacation in a lovely hospital in Albuquerque with a small bowel obstruction. This thread is like GI problem Voltron.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

leica posted:

Getting ready for a colonoscopy tomorrow, YAY! :marc:

I heard you get some wicked rear end no smell gas. If you have a spouse/SO its the best time to do the pull my finger trick.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

leica posted:

Getting ready for a colonoscopy tomorrow, YAY! :marc:

low hanging fruit time.. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hiP14ED28CA&feature=youtu.be&t=45s

edit: That's what I hear every time I see the butt whistle smiley.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Good thing I have a spare bathroom out in the laundry room :v:

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

meatpimp posted:

Bad weekend for AI. :(

Tell me about it. Just got shitcanned from my job after less than a year.

Went from the previous Manager and Supervisor who initially hired me wanting to promote me to a lead position (both offered to let me use them as references on the application for the new position because they both thought I was an outstanding worker + mysupervisor had advised me not to transfer to another shift as there would soon be an opening for a lead and I was his first choice for it) to the Manager leaving for another job and my Supervisor moving to Ohio due to getting promoted to run our new warehouse, and the new Manager they replaced both of them with being a dick who just constantly gave me a hassle over every little thing (for instance, for fixing problems with our new computer system, which my old Supervisor had trained and authorized me how to do, but the new Manager decided she didn't want anyone except her authorized pet employee to touch), despite all my coworkers and both leads thinking I was doing a great job and wanted to see me get promoted to a position where I could be more useful to the shift.

Went from getting hired to being the hot new kid who everyone wanted to see get promoted and put in charge of more poo poo to fired in 8 months. :argh:
Office politics is so loving dumb.

At least both of my shift leads (one of whom got the lead position my old Super had previously said he wanted me to get) and my former Supervisor (the one that went to Ohio) are letting me use them as references on my resume - gently caress the new Manager and her BS.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

gently caress. I just love it when someone wanting to buy a <$3k 16-year-old Ranger takes it to a shop with the instructions to "make it new" and gets an estimate back that costs more than the truck itself. Including, I poo poo you not, "the battery is bad because it's a year old".

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Why would anyone give a shop such deranged, wide-spectrum demands?

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Holy poo poo, talk about unrealistic expectations. At that price, with it being a truck, they should consider themselves lucky if the a/c works.

bandman
Mar 17, 2008

HotCanadianChick posted:

Office politics is so loving dumb.

I feel ya, man. I'm on the hunt for a new gig because of toxic office politics.

I'm actually looking to switch gears altogether and start down a new career path. Hopefully I can find something where I actually get to use my greatest asset: the gift of gab. I can talk to anyone about anything for as long as the other party wants, and I have been unable to leverage this in the environmental field so far. If I could find a sales job that wasn't feast-or-famine, I think I would be great at it.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Slow is Fast posted:

huge displacement motors are awesome to learn on vs something with a lovely 4cyl.

Good job. Now learn to heel toe
I still can't heel-toe :blush:
I blame my long legs, huge feet and tendency to buy cars with room for neither. I just tell myself I'm giving the brakes a second to rest while I'm downshifting.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
I can heel-toe in most vehicles.
Shitpile was rather funny as I could hit two pedals with the outside of my boots being that they're so drat wide.

Or those fun times I'd stab the clutch and nick the stop pedal at the same time.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

cursedshitbox posted:

Or those fun times I'd stab the clutch and nick the stop pedal at the same time.

Land Rover can do one thing exceptionally well, and that is brakes. Stab the brakes on my old P38 and you were greeting the dashboard. Hell my Classic is shocking as to how quick it gets down from speed.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Tommychu posted:

I still can't heel-toe :blush:
I blame my long legs, huge feet and tendency to buy cars with room for neither. I just tell myself I'm giving the brakes a second to rest while I'm downshifting.

Do side to side like Senna. That's how I ended up doing it with my relatively narrow feet but non-functional knee.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Just had a job interview (internal one in with my current employer). Hopefully will get it :)

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Too ugly for Tinder and too boring for OKC. Forever alone.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Land Rover can do one thing exceptionally well, and that is brakes.

Says the guy who has obviously never driven a Series or a D1.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

Super Aggro Crag posted:

I've had like, one match on Tinder and it was a girl whose profile said "I swipe right to everyone and work it out later." :v:

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Size 14s mean I basically have no chance of fitting my feet anywhere. In fact when I put a new carpet in the subaru it is losing the dead pedal because I have like a 50/50 success rate of getting only the clutch or mashing the clutch and brake together so far.

On the flip side I am reasonably quick with my feet and don't really see a reason to bother heel toeing. Maybe I am not pushing my crapcans hard enough.

kastein fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Sep 30, 2014

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Motronic posted:

I was going to post exactly that.

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs
Welp, second time my car friend has bought a car I've asked him to check out for me.

Guess I won't be returning the favor anymore.
Some people are dicks and they just can't see why.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

mafoose posted:

Welp, second time my car friend has bought a car I've asked him to check out for me.

Guess I won't be returning the favor anymore.
Some people are dicks and they just can't see why.

Haha, wow, that's a huge dick move. How do you justify that? "Nah it looked good, and it was such a deal! I couldn't let some other schmuck (you) get it! Wait, where are you going?"

goatse guy
Jan 23, 2007
hello im back in ai buy me avatars plz :-*

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Sounds like you need to lower your standards.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Is this a good deal?

http://madison.craigslist.org/pts/4666517267.html

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Boot chat: my carolinas are (after 15 months) what I would call "pretty shagged out." Leather is rapidly vanishing from one steel toe, the soles are delaminating from the upper sole layer, the upper layer is cracked every quarter inch, some seams have blown out, and the heels are actually cracked and split and torn.

What allegedly indestructible boot brand am I destroying next? :haw:

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Have yah' tried Wolverine's yet? Bought a pair for a friend who worked construction, still functional after two years, including concrete soaking, which is as bad as it gets for leather.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

$475 for a set of 4 winter tires already mounted on wheels? Looks like a drat good deal to me.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
Kastein, what pants do you wear? I've been super disappointed in Levis just falling the gently caress apart, and BDUs look dorky day to day. It's hard for me to find poo poo that fits, and you are a fellow tall skinny person who is hard on clothing; I was just thinking earlier today that I should ask you. And here we are! I was thinking of giving Dickies a shot, next.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

some texas redneck posted:

Holy poo poo, talk about unrealistic expectations. At that price, with it being a truck, they should consider themselves lucky if the a/c works.

Which it does, quite well at that. If I have my way, my old Volvo 240 will be the last car I ever own with non functional air conditioning.

If you wanted to make it perfect, yeah it will need work. It will also drive another 50k with minimal effort as is. Guy is loving delusional.

goatse guy
Jan 23, 2007
hello im back in ai buy me avatars plz :-*

IOwnCalculus posted:

Which it does, quite well at that. If I have my way, my old Volvo 240 will be the last car I ever own with non functional air conditioning.

If you wanted to make it perfect, yeah it will need work. It will also drive another 50k with minimal effort as is. Guy is loving delusional.

I get people trying to buy >$1000 cars that bitch about things like the AC not working. Buddy, it runs and it drives. That's pretty good for $900.

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

mmm this nitromethane gets my supercharger runnin'

kastein posted:

Elviscat posted:

Have yah' tried Wolverine's yet? Bought a pair for a friend who worked construction, still functional after two years, including concrete soaking, which is as bad as it gets for leather.

I haven't tried Wolverine's yet, but want to as I've heard good things. I bought a pair of Redwings chukkas for work (office) and have been very satisfied with them. I would definitely try their heavier boots.

I think you'll find a lot of the really, really good boots will be pretty expensive (hundreds of dollars), but the plus side will be super thick leather and replaceable soles often at a cheap price. With all of that they could last you a decade.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
I'm sure the number of people IOC has probated barely equals the number of Viggen kitty jails.

Terminus Est
Sep 30, 2005

Motorcycle Miliitia

kastein posted:

http://www.danner.com/super-rain-forest-plain-toe-work-boots.html Spend the money on boots that can be rebuilt.

Raluek posted:

Kastein, what pants do you wear? I've been super disappointed in Levis just falling the gently caress apart, and BDUs look dorky day to day. It's hard for me to find poo poo that fits, and you are a fellow tall skinny person who is hard on clothing; I was just thinking earlier today that I should ask you. And here we are! I was thinking of giving Dickies a shot, next.

Might be time to go euro. https://www.repconnw.com Check out the Mascot work pants. Very nice Danish work wear. Pricey, but hold up really well to abuse.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Super Aggro Crag posted:

There's always Grindr. :quagmire:

goatse guy posted:

I get people trying to buy >$1000 cars that bitch about things like the AC not working. Buddy, it runs and it drives. That's pretty good for $900.

For $900 I'd be glad if the brakes worked and the engine didn't tell knock knock jokes (yes, I stole that from you). And you really don't need AC most of the year in MN, do you?

We're still hitting high 80s/low 90s during the day here. :smithicide:

(how the gently caress does a dealer sell anything under at least $2k and still make a profit?)

Raluek posted:

I'm hardly kastein (and nowhere near his build :btroll: ), but Dickies either fall apart immediately or hold together forever. There doesn't seem to be any middle ground with them - I've had the buttons pop off on the first wear, and had them last for years (pants). Generally they last forever.

They have a decent warranty if you keep your receipt though. Basically email/call them to get an RMA, mail whatever you destroyed to TX, get new garment in the mail. And they're forgiving about the receipts.

IOwnCalculus posted:

The last car I had with dead a/c was a $200 1995 Civic. Black on black, it was misery to drive in August. I had the parts to fix it (high side hose + dryer), but managed to get in the way of an 18 wheeler before I could play parts swapper. It would blow cold for about 6 hours if you charged it before then. :haw:

Even the most basic cars are complicated enough that I would never expect perfection on anything that's not brand new (and well, my grandfather owned several GM dealers when I was growing up, so I know even expecting that is unrealistic sometimes).

Cat Terrist posted:

I'm sure the number of people IOC has probated barely equals the number of Viggen kitty jails.

Pretty sure viggen has had more AI related probations than anyone else at this point.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Sep 30, 2014

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs

Raluek posted:

Haha, wow, that's a huge dick move. How do you justify that? "Nah it looked good, and it was such a deal! I couldn't let some other schmuck (you) get it! Wait, where are you going?"

Pretty much.

It's funny how he first said "I'm only keeping it for a week" to "I need to buy coilovers, exhaust, and wheels."

Whatever.

I might just buy a little shitbox Honda for the soul sucking daily duties. At least I finally posted the Miata on craigslist.

If anyone's looking for a 95 1.8l 5 speed car that should have a torsen, I'd sell it to a goon for a nice discount (it's on CL for $2.7k).

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Manual chat: I learned on the 1978 911 SC with a heavy clutch, super light gas pedal and Dad freaking out about me hurting his baby. Stalled the thing 20+ times before I did a burnout and everything clicked after that. Can happily say I've never owned an automatic.

Boot chat: Wolverine boots have been good for me. Last pair went 4.5 years before I had to reattach the soles then another year after that. Replaced with another pair.

Brother and his wife are moving back in with me for a bit...should be fun. Apparently the guy they are renting from is a big rear end in a top hat and does all the lovely roommate stuff like eating their food, damaging their property (fucker bumped into the 524TD) and some other bull poo poo. They got back from their wedding and someone had slept in their bed, apparently that was the last straw. Oh well I'll give them a month or two too get things straightened out and find an apartment.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Terminus Est posted:

Might be time to go euro. https://www.repconnw.com Check out the Mascot work pants. Very nice Danish work wear. Pricey, but hold up really well to abuse.

I've been super satisfied with my Mascot pants. They're either the Ronda or the Atlanta model, I can't remember right now. But they're extremely well made, heavy duty fabric, solid triple stitching, good fit and all of the pockets are perfectly positioned so you can actually move around and work (or sit down), even if they're stuffed full.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Terminus Est posted:

I'm really not a fan of pockets everywhere (or I'd just wear my cheap-but-durable Propper BDUs), but the Mascot Albany pants look decent. Twice what I usually pay for pants, but half what some of the other models cost. But hey, if they last.... They even have my size, which is incredible (31W x 35L). Of course, every manufacturer has a different idea of what an inch is, so I'd have to find someplace local to try some on first. Not a terrible idea; I'll likely give Dickies a shot and if they suck I'll move upmarket to something like this.

E: Agh, Velcro side pocket. I hadn't noticed that before. They don't seem to have a model that is both durable/heavy fabric and also easy on the tactical. Plus, I hate Velcro. Give me buttons anyday.

Raluek fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Sep 30, 2014

Holdbrooks
Jan 1, 2005

NEAI 2015
RIDE ETERNAL SHINY AND CHROME
ONWARD TO THE HALLS OF RUSTHALLA

mafoose posted:

Pretty much.

It's funny how he first said "I'm only keeping it for a week" to "I need to buy coilovers, exhaust, and wheels."

Whatever.

I might just buy a little shitbox Honda for the soul sucking daily duties. At least I finally posted the Miata on craigslist.

If anyone's looking for a 95 1.8l 5 speed car that should have a torsen, I'd sell it to a goon for a nice discount (it's on CL for $2.7k).

Do you need any sort of parts for that miata to help the sale? I still have everthing not needed for the exocet.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Motronic posted:

Had to do a proper emergency stop in my series on Saturday after some fucker pulled out on me. Then drove to the pub on Sunday and found that my brakes were gradually disappearing (starting on corners and slopes) because the fluid reservoir was almost empty (and of course I took my spare pot of brake fluid out of the truck last weekend to borrow it..)

Drove the last few miles there and then 15 miles back home using all the gears to engine brake instead of the actual brakes. Works just as well!

Suspect when I get chance to look at it in daylight one of my wheel cylinders has popped from that stop

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

You know, I'm not a fan of Tracy Morgan in the slightest (I consider him to be a homophobic jackass with the IQ of a couple of rocks), but apparently WalMart is saying it's his fault that he wound up in the hospital... after getting hit in a limo by a WalMart 18 wheeler.

:wtc:

I'm usually the first to side with the truck driver, but holy poo poo, the driver of the Walmart truck has already stated he fell asleep immediately before the accident, and that he'd been awake over 24 hours. How much more of a slam dunk case do you need? Adding to that, the NTSB has already decided the truck was at least 20 mph over the speed limit (guessing he was going downhill, since no way in hell did that happen on flat ground or uphill).

http://www.cnn.com/2014/09/29/justice/tracy-morgan-crash/

tl;dr I hit your car and killed a couple of people and hosed you up bad, but it's your fault for not wearing a seat belt in a vehicle that normally doesn't have seat belts.

• Locked thread